PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Games

PorkChopExpress
06-02-2005, 12:25 PM
I know this has been mentioned before, but I was wondering if anyone actually had the Sox's win-loss record when they play on ESPN. It seems like they haven't won an ESPN broadcast game in ages. Any info? Anyone?

jdm2662
06-02-2005, 12:26 PM
Well, they actually won on Monday... However, it's not very good, at least to my memory.
________
Medical Marijuana (http://dispensaries.org/)

Rocky Soprano
06-02-2005, 12:26 PM
I know this has been mentioned before, but I was wondering if anyone actually had the Sox's win-loss record when they play on ESPN. It seems like they haven't won an ESPN broadcast game in ages. Any info? Anyone?

Didn't we just win one on Monday?

bluestar
06-02-2005, 12:31 PM
It isn't just the won/loss record, but the way the Sox tend to lose when they play on ESPN. It seems like it is always some kind of weird series of errors, manager mistakes, and/or pitching meltdowns.

miker
06-02-2005, 12:48 PM

Fortunately, the league also counts the games that aren't on ESPN. So we are still in good shape.

kevingrt
06-02-2005, 02:13 PM
Well this year I believe we are 2-2

Kogs35
06-02-2005, 02:20 PM
i think we are 1-3 with the dodger sunday nighter coming up shortly maybe the oakland game on july10th also its a real possibilty.

Rocklive99
06-02-2005, 02:27 PM
I think it's ridiculous to think that ESPN doing a game has anything to do with how the Sox play, this is the same territory as those who believe in baseball curses. In case they didn't know, the Sox play nationally everytime they're on WGN. Yesterday's game had nothing to do with bad luck, but questionable managing decisions.

Stroker Ace
06-02-2005, 02:28 PM
It isn't just the won/loss record, but the way the Sox tend to lose when they play on ESPN. It seems like it is always some kind of weird series of errors, manager mistakes, and/or pitching meltdowns.Yeah. Same thing when the Sox have played on Fox. IIRC Didn't they lose every game they played on national tv last year?:angry: :whiner:

bluestar
06-02-2005, 03:02 PM
I think it's ridiculous to think that ESPN doing a game has anything to do with how the Sox play, this is the same territory as those who believe in baseball curses. In case they didn't know, the Sox play nationally everytime they're on WGN. Yesterday's game had nothing to do with bad luck, but questionable managing decisions.

I certainly don't believe playing on ESPN has anything to do with it. No one is saying playing on ESPN is a "curse" or anything; it's just uncanny how bad the Sox have looked many times when they have played on an ESPN channel.

For me the infamous pitching meltdown in Seattle a couple of years ago on Sunday Night Baseball was a particularly bad one.

StockdaleForVeep
06-02-2005, 03:18 PM
I think we need to petition ESPN to remove brantley from all broadcasts

bluestar
06-02-2005, 03:49 PM
I think we need to petition ESPN to remove brantley from all broadcasts

They would probaby just take Brantley off and put Steve Phillips on.

StockdaleForVeep
06-02-2005, 03:57 PM
They would probaby just take Brantley off and put Steve Phillips on.

Id rather have chimp carey at this rate.

daveeym
06-02-2005, 04:00 PM
I certainly don't believe playing on ESPN has anything to do with it. No one is saying playing on ESPN is a "curse" or anything; it's just uncanny how bad the Sox have looked many times when they have played on an ESPN channel.

For me the infamous pitching meltdown in Seattle a couple of years ago on Sunday Night Baseball was a particularly bad one. Almost all espn games cause the "normal" game times to be changed. Breaking the normal routines of the players. That's about as close to a "real" reason that I can think of.

StockdaleForVeep
06-02-2005, 04:01 PM
Tomczak doing the NIU bowl game was less horrid than the brantley show on ESPN. And Tom was pretty terrible

downstairs
06-02-2005, 04:05 PM
Fortunately, the league also counts the games that aren't on ESPN. So we are still in good shape.

We'll be in "good" shape when we're 10 games up.

Cleveland is trying their hardest right now to make us 3.5 up. I'd classify that as "OK but still not so good" shape, personally...

:cool:

IowaSox1971
06-02-2005, 06:29 PM
I remember three ESPN games from last year (though there probably were more): We won a tight game at Baltimore on a game-saving play by Uribe, and we lost close ones at Seattle and at home against Boston.

PAPChiSox729
06-02-2005, 07:17 PM
I remember three ESPN games from last year (though there probably were more): We won a tight game at Baltimore on a game-saving play by Uribe, and we lost close ones at Seattle and at home against Boston.

Wasn't the Seattle game the one where Koch walked in the winning run?
:angry:

I admit that we usually do suck it up on nationally televised games, but I don't think it is more than coincidence.

chisoxfan79
06-02-2005, 07:22 PM
Just keep ESPN away from the Sox for the rest of the year.:bandance:

ShoelessJoeS
06-02-2005, 07:37 PM
Just keep ESPN away from the Sox for the rest of the year.:bandance:
unintelligent experts and ignorant comentators in all