PDA

View Full Version : The "Face" of Baseball?

Spicoli
06-02-2005, 11:19 AM
ESPN is asking:

Who should be the "face" of baseball?

Tim Kurkjian says Derek Jeter is the right man (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=kurkjian_tim&id=2073780) to represent the entire sport, but do you agree? After searching for years, the NBA finally found its face in LeBron James. The NFL has Peyton Manning, Donovan McNabb and Tom Brady battling for Super Bowls but united in selling the league as All-American quarterbacks. But who is the player Major League Baseball should market as its poster boy for the sport?

Are you sold on Jeter's winning ways? The power and grace of Albert Pujols? The "real" baseball of Juan Pierre? Or is Dontrelle Willis' effervescent spirit the way to go?

Help settle the debate, SportsNation, using the numbers below the photos. Just drag the numbers onto the photos and hit submit. You must rank at least five players to cast your ballot.

Check out the list of players they have provided:

http://sports.espn.go.com/chat/sportsnation/listranker?id=290

RKMeibalane
06-02-2005, 11:25 AM
:chunks

Spicoli
06-02-2005, 11:35 AM
:chunks

That sums up my initial reaction as well. Good grief!

zach23
06-02-2005, 11:56 AM
I don't know about "face", but some of these guys could be voted as the "ass" of baseball.

NonetheLoaiza
06-02-2005, 12:13 PM
Well, you have to realize that Jeter is going through the same things that Jackie Robinson went through...

Another example of how ESPN force feeds things to people to try and get them to believe them.

thecell
06-02-2005, 12:29 PM
http://www.durhamdrunks.com/CPM/albums/wpw-2a/normal_puke2.jpeg.

soxfan26
06-02-2005, 01:24 PM
Allright Tim Kurkjian is an idiot. It is still an interesting question though. I ranked my top 5 as...

1. Pujols
2. Ichiro
3. Mulder
4. Tejada
5. Cabrera

RKMeibalane
06-02-2005, 02:08 PM
1. Albert Pujols
2. Miguel Cabrera
3. Ichiro Suzuki
4. Dontrelle Willis
5. Scott Rolen

Jerko
06-02-2005, 02:17 PM
How did Jesus and Captain Caveman get on this list? You see one face about 10 times a year and the other face, you can't even see under all that hair. He would have needed about 20 stitches the other night instead of 4, but was saved by his coif.

wdelaney72
06-02-2005, 05:07 PM
I hate New York as much as the next Chicagoan, but I don't have a problem with using Jeter. He's a great player. I'd love to have him as our short stop.

Other names to consider

Mark Buehrle
Roger Clemens

TheOldRoman
06-02-2005, 05:58 PM
I hate New York as much as the next Chicagoan, but I don't have a problem with using Jeter. He's a great player. I'd love to have him as our short stop.
I wouldn't. Between his insane salary and his horrible defense (zero range, no matter how many mediots voted him a gold glove), he isnt worth half of what he makes. He is a good hitter, not a great hitter. He has always been protected in great lineups, and he would have made only 1 or 2 all star teams if he played for any team other than the Yankees.

Jjav829
06-02-2005, 06:26 PM
I wouldn't. Between his insane salary and his horrible defense (zero range, no matter how many mediots voted him a gold glove), he isnt worth half of what he makes. He is a good hitter, not a great hitter. He has always been protected in great lineups, and he would have made only 1 or 2 all star teams if he played for any team other than the Yankees.

Is he overpaid? Absolutely. Does the media overrate him? Sure. But he can play shortstop for me anyday of the week, just as long as he isn't making what the Yankees are paying him. If you look past his enormous salary and the way the media fawns over any little thing he does, Jeter is really a pretty damn good player.

Jjav829
06-02-2005, 06:31 PM
Allright Tim Kurkjian is an idiot. It is still an interesting question though. I ranked my top 5 as...

1. Pujols
2. Ichiro
3. Mulder
4. Tejada
5. Cabrera

I think Major League Baseball doesn't do nearly enough as they should to market Albert Pujols. IMO, he should be the face of the game. I'd put guys like Tejada and Pierre after Pujols.

I have no real idea why Joe Mauer is on there. Gammons must have hacked the site or bribed someone to get Mauer put in the poll.

Also, where is Willie Harris on this poll? You can't have a conversation about faces of the game without including Willie Harris and/or Pablo Ozuna.

DVsoxfan
06-02-2005, 07:05 PM
Juan Pierre???...

fquaye149
06-02-2005, 07:23 PM
Is he overpaid? Absolutely. Does the media overrate him? Sure. But he can play shortstop for me anyday of the week, just as long as he isn't making what the Yankees are paying him. If you look past his enormous salary and the way the media fawns over any little thing he does, Jeter is really a pretty damn good player.

He's fine. However, he's not even the best SS on his team, and certainly not among the top 5 in the leagues (A-Rod, Tejada, Renteria, Young, Cabrera, Guillen)

Jjav829
06-02-2005, 07:30 PM
He's fine. However, he's not even the best SS on his team, and certainly not among the top 5 in the leagues (A-Rod, Tejada, Renteria, Young, Cabrera, Guillen)

Jeter is a better player than Cabrera by miles, and he's better than Renteria as well. I'll give you Arod and Tejada being better and Michael Young is certainly a better hitter. Guillen is close, but I give Jeter the edge.

JohnBasedowYoda
06-02-2005, 07:38 PM
aj pierzinski

fquaye149
06-02-2005, 08:18 PM
Jeter is a better player than Cabrera by miles, and he's better than Renteria as well. I'll give you Arod and Tejada being better and Michael Young is certainly a better hitter. Guillen is close, but I give Jeter the edge.

Nothing wrong with your interpretation of this. It comes down to how you define what has traditionally been a defensive position...but now seems to be reversing that distinction. Jeter is brutal defensively, but very good offernsively. Cabrera and Renteria are average offensively, but much better than Jeter defensively. Guillen is good defensively and comparable to Jeter offensively. I don't know. It's a judgment call really.

My point is just that Jeter's a largely unremarkable player (though definitely good) thrust into the spotlight by being in the right place, right time.

Someone like Pujols is more deserving of being the face of baseball. Or good young pitchers.

White Sox Josh
06-02-2005, 09:45 PM
I have a question: Where the hell is Vlad Guerrero on this list that ESPN made? In my opinion he is the best damn player in the game right now. If he played for the Yankees ESPN would be drooling over him.

Jjav829
06-02-2005, 09:49 PM
I have a question: Where the hell is Vlad Guerrero on this list that ESPN made? In my opinion he is the best damn player in the game right now. If he played for the Yankees ESPN would be drooling over him.

This isn't a list for the best players in baseball. It's a list of guys who could potentially be the face of major league baseball. Vlad's just not a guy who would be the face of baseball. Great player, but just not someone you'd think of as representing the sport IMO. Then again, you could say the same for several of the guys on the list, such as Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez, etc.

RKMeibalane
06-02-2005, 10:14 PM

I agree. Vlad is certainly a better ambassador for the game than Johnson or Prior.

ClaudelSleptHere
06-03-2005, 12:15 AM
Where in the heck is Crazy Carl on that list???

OEO Magglio
06-03-2005, 02:00 AM
Jeter's a winner, period. Sure, he's definitely a bit overrated however that guy takes his game up a notch in the playoffs and makes some of the better plays you'll see to help his team win. Also, mentioning Orlando Cabrera in the same breath as Jeter is a joke.

OEO Magglio
06-03-2005, 02:02 AM
I think Major League Baseball doesn't do nearly enough as they should to market Albert Pujols. IMO, he should be the face of the game. I'd put guys like Tejada and Pierre after Pujols.

I have no real idea why Joe Mauer is on there. Gammons must have hacked the site or bribed someone to get Mauer put in the poll.

Also, where is Willie Harris on this poll? You can't have a conversation about faces of the game without including Willie Harris and/or Pablo Ozuna.
I feel the exact same way about Pujols. He needs to be marketed much more then he already is. The guy is the best hitter in the game right now(with bonds not playing) a solid defensive first baseman and by all accounts an absolutely terrific individual. Albert represents everything that is right in baseball.

balke
06-03-2005, 02:05 AM
Rolen could when he's good, and not injured.. but that's not happening this season. Edmonds is getting a little old I guess, but he's one to consider as well, the toughness they showed is why Pujols, Edmonds, and Rolen were all MVP candidates last season.

Its a tough thing to decide. I can rank best players IMO, but "face" is a weird term. Does that involve marketability? Pujols is pretty marketable, a great charitable guy.

Did I see Ortiz and Manny on that list? BLEH! Ichiro could easily be the face. I love watching him play baseball.

ChiWhiteSox1337
06-03-2005, 02:53 AM
I'd definitely agree with Pujols, Ichiro, and Vladimir Guerrero. It's a joke that Vlad isn't even an option on that silly ESPN poll. Pujols is a great hitter putting up amazing numbers at his age and Ichiro does everything right when it comes to baseball.

fquaye149
06-03-2005, 08:44 AM
Jeter's a winner, period. Sure, he's definitely a bit overrated however that guy takes his game up a notch in the playoffs and makes some of the better plays you'll see to help his team win. Also, mentioning Orlando Cabrera in the same breath as Jeter is a joke.

like i said, it depends what you think a SS is. personally,i think jeter's defense is a joke.

i guess it's kind of like if you consider piazza one of the best catchers of the 90's. an opinion.

SoxyStu
06-03-2005, 11:45 AM

I have to agree as well. Baseball isn't basketball where it needs 1 superstar to stand out.

Jerome
06-03-2005, 02:53 PM
"It was the ninth inning of a one-sided victory for the Red Sox on Sunday at Yankee Stadium. Derek Jeter (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=5406) hit a grounder to pitcher David Wells (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=4057). Some stars might have loafed to first; Jeter raced down the line and beat the throw. It didn't lead to anything major, but for him it doesn't have to. That's why he is the captain of the Yankees, that's why he has four championship rings and that's one reason why he is our choice for the face of baseball."

running out grounders?! c'mon. That is certainly NOT why he has 4 championship rings. It is colums like this though, why he is the most overrated player in baseball.

Sox Blue 69-70
06-03-2005, 03:13 PM

Can't believe the Gary Coleman picture hasn't popped up here yet. :D:

Great signature, by the way, Cell.