PDA

View Full Version : Sox Loss + 6-game Scrub streak = Return of Media Bias

SoxFan78
06-02-2005, 10:07 AM
This makes me sick. This morning on Fox Thing in the Morning, they had a whole call in segment for viewers to call in and talk about the red-hot Scrubs 6 game winning streak.

This made me sick. When the White Sox went on their 2 EIGHT game winning streaks did they even get close to the attention the Scrubs are getting now? HECK NO! Even during the White Sox winning streaks "Sox Fan" Bruce Wolf mentioned how if the roles were reversed and the cubs were hot, the media would be tripping all over themselves.

Well Bruce, you were wrong. It only took a six game winning streak for the media to start yelling playoffs for the Scrubs and for Derrick Lee to be a triple crown winner.

Makes me want to puke.

Come on Hangar, im begging for your opinion on this.

cheeses_h_rice
06-02-2005, 10:14 AM
Sweeping the Dodgers in L.A. is worthy of plaudits, IMO, but c'mon, keep it in perspective. Aren't the Flubs just 3 games above .500?

Ol' No. 2
06-02-2005, 10:54 AM
We're already hearing the first Derrek Lee Triple Crown blather.

daveeym
06-02-2005, 10:59 AM
We're already hearing the first Derrek Lee Triple Crown blather. Hate to say it but he's earned it, he's singlehandedly one that team about 8 or 9 games. It's gonna suck if he keeps it up all year cuz he's a scrub (although Lee I personally don't mind), it'll take from the sox limelight and will keep fans flocking to the park to see history.

Ol' No. 2
06-02-2005, 11:16 AM
Hate to say it but he's earned it, he's singlehandedly one that team about 8 or 9 games. It's gonna suck if he keeps it up all year cuz he's a scrub (although Lee I personally don't mind), it'll take from the sox limelight and will keep fans flocking to the park to see history.No question he's carrying the whole team on his back. He's had a great year SO FAR. But it's just a mite early to be talking about triple crown. Unless you're the Cubs, of course.:rolleyes:

PatK
06-02-2005, 11:36 AM
What's funny is seeing how the the papers (notably the Cubune) talk of the Sox lead "dropping", but how the Cubs are "closing in on St Louis".

Last time I checked, the 6.5 games wasn't as close as 4 games. So either the Sox lead isn't as bad as they are making it out to be, or the Cubs aren't as close as you'd like to believe.

skobabe8
06-02-2005, 11:48 AM
Sweeping the Dodgers in L.A. is worthy of plaudits, IMO, but c'mon, keep it in perspective. Aren't the Flubs just 3 games above .500?

Yeah and the Dodgers are like 1 over at this point. They're not the same team that started the season. They have been sub .500 since about mid April.

JB98
06-02-2005, 01:31 PM
What's funny is seeing how the the papers (notably the Cubune) talk of the Sox lead "dropping", but how the Cubs are "closing in on St Louis".

Last time I checked, the 6.5 games wasn't as close as 4 games. So either the Sox lead isn't as bad as they are making it out to be, or the Cubs aren't as close as you'd like to believe.

LOL. The Cubs have won six in a row, and they've gained a grand total of one game in the standings. Whoop-Dee-Doo. Down in St. Louis, they're laughing at the rest of the NL Central. The race in that division is going to be over by the All-Star break. No amount of nauseating optimism by Cubs fans is going to change that.

I'm still waiting for the Cubune to provide me with a breakdown on how many victories the Sox need to obtain each month in order to reach 100 wins. They did that for the Cubs twice last year, right at the start of last year and then again at midseason.

All these Cubs fans are excited about being three games over .500. Just tell them we'd have to lose 14 in a row in order to stoop to that level. F'em.

samram
06-02-2005, 01:43 PM
Yeah and the Dodgers are like 1 over at this point. They're not the same team that started the season. They have been sub .500 since about mid April.

The Dodgers wish they were one over. I think that loss dropped them to .500. They have a team ERA of 4.78- in that park, that's atrocious. Even the magnificent Kelly Wunsch has an ERA of 4.24.

ShoelessJoeS
06-02-2005, 02:41 PM
just wait and see when the shlubs have to play the only real team since playing us, the padres

Sox of White
06-02-2005, 02:55 PM
just wait and see when the shlubs have to play the only real team since playing us, the padres

Yeah, they have played the Astros and the Rockies lately. Both way below .500. The Padres will shut up the scrubs real fast.

DumpJerry
06-02-2005, 03:31 PM
Relax everyone. The Flubs now play the Padres in San Diego. The Padres have the best home record in MLB (a meaningless stat next week from June 10-12). We are back with our division playing a weak sister Indians team. Just stay focused on what we are doing and fly under the radar.

BTW, I love Derrick Lee's numbers, this means he will either be traded or he will humiliate the team by winning the triple crown while they finish low in the standings.

kittle42
06-02-2005, 04:23 PM

Hmm....sounds strangely similar to the Cub fans' "who have the Sox played?" when the Sox were very hot...but I guess it's OK when we do it, right? A win is a win is a win, whether it's against the Royals, the Rockies or the Cardinals.

Cowhead418
06-02-2005, 04:30 PM
Hmm....sounds strangely similar to the Cub fans' "who have the Sox played?" when the Sox were very hot...but I guess it's OK when we do it, right? A win is a win is a win, whether it's against the Royals, the Rockies or the Cardinals.
You're right on. A win is a win. It really doesn't matter who it is against. all this 6-game win streak will do is give the Cub fans false hope and just make it that much harder on them when their season falls apart at the end of the month.

SOXSINCE'70
06-02-2005, 05:50 PM

Then This must mean the Sox should SWEEP them when they
play later in June. :cool: :cool:

ShoelessJoeS
06-02-2005, 06:26 PM
all this 6-game win streak will do is give the Cub fans false hope and just make it that much harder on them when their season falls apart at the end of the month.

the point i was trying to make

Viva Medias B's
06-02-2005, 11:00 PM
So far, the Padres haven't gotten the memo. It's 2-0 Evil Empire. And what the hell is happening with the Cardinals? They just dropped a series to the Rockies!!!

White Sox Josh
06-02-2005, 11:11 PM
So far, the Padres haven't gotten the memo. It's 2-0 Evil Empire. And what the hell is happening with the Cardinals? They just dropped a series to the Rockies!!!What the hell! Why the hell didn't the Padres try to advance on the sac fly. Patterson doesn't have a good arm. Now rusch just worked out of it. Friggin Padres!

Viva Medias B's
06-02-2005, 11:16 PM
What the hell! Why the hell didn't the Padres try to advance on the sac fly. Patterson doesn't have a good arm. Now rusch just worked out of it. Friggin Padres!

Hey Padres...WAKE UP!!!!!!!!!!

White Sox Josh
06-02-2005, 11:22 PM
This sucks. Wake UP!!! Hey Bochy put Giles in the lineup. God.

White Sox Josh
06-02-2005, 11:30 PM
Now it's 3-0. Wake UP!!!!!!!

Kogs35
06-02-2005, 11:36 PM
4-0 please smell the coffee padres and wake up!!!!!!

JB98
06-02-2005, 11:53 PM
There is a widespread conspiracy at work here. The National League managers are all conspiring to help the Cubs get back in the race. Jim Tracey ordered the Dodger pitchers to throw the ball right down the middle to Derrek Lee. Now, Bruce Bochy is doing his part by benching Brian Giles.

Don't worry, guys. This too shall pass. The Cubs still suck.

shoota
06-03-2005, 12:19 AM
Hey Padres...WAKE UP!!!!!!!!!!

No kidding. I watched the first couple innings and had to hear fake-voice Kasper talk about his preseason agreement with Brenley about changing their facial hair if the Cubs won 10 games in a row. Brenley would shave off his stache; Kasper would grow one. Kasper then added that 10 games would be on Sunday, after the Cubs swept the Padres. How cute.

Sox of White
06-03-2005, 12:33 AM
7 game winning streak is the longest since 2001. So this streak is extremely rare for the flubs, and will not last, and shall not come again for a long time.

PAPChiSox729
06-03-2005, 12:38 AM
7 game winning streak is the longest since 2001. So this streak is extremely rare for the flubs, and will not last, and shall not come again for a long time.

The sooner it ends, the better.

Viva Medias B's
06-03-2005, 08:59 AM
The sooner it ends, the better.

The 7 game streak has lasted 7 games too long.

DrCrawdad
06-03-2005, 09:58 AM
The Cubbies win 7 straight, gaining only 3 games on STL. Meanwhile the Sox are in first place, recently winning two of three from the Angels, and have been in first for several weeks.

The SCOREs George Goofman in his Friday morning baseball report ended with this thought, "The Cubs are hot, playing great baseball and in the playoff race. Let's see if the Sox can keep it up."

Since the Sox have been playing solid baseball basically ALL season and still possess the best record in baseball while on the other hand the Cubbies have stunk all except the past week, doesn't it seem that the pertinant question is whether the Cubbies can keep it going?

Cellview22
06-03-2005, 10:17 AM
It's always a big news story if a team looks absolutely terrible, all their fans + the media have lost faith in the season, and then they pull things around and go on a 7-game winning streak with Derrick Lee having an incredible season. I think that's why it's all over the news now. It still gets me sick. I'm hoping for a loss so I don't have to hear about them any more. :angry:

Mark
06-03-2005, 10:54 AM
I hope the Pods are this lousy when our lads hit town next weekend.

Jurr
06-04-2005, 12:24 PM
The Flub streak has ended. Heh heh heh...

Cowhead418
06-04-2005, 01:48 PM
I read the Tribune this morning and in Downey's column he says "Those of you who were writing off the Cubs in May please raise your hand." Does this mean that he thinks the Cubs are still in the playoff race? Just because they are a measley 3 games over .500? The Cubs are currently on pace for 85 wins. Might as well crown them World Series champions right now eh?

JB98
06-04-2005, 08:11 PM
I read the Tribune this morning and in Downey's column he says "Those of you who were writing off the Cubs in May please raise your hand." Does this mean that he thinks the Cubs are still in the playoff race? Just because they are a measley 3 games over .500? The Cubs are currently on pace for 85 wins. Might as well crown them World Series champions right now eh?

There are a lot of clubs in the National League on pace for about 85 wins. After St. Louis and San Diego, there is a vast sea of mediocrity that includes the Cubs. I don't think the Cubs are going to make the playoffs. In fact, I think they'll finish below .500. But there is too much baseball remaining to be played and too much mediocrity in the NL to write them off entirely.

Cowhead418
06-04-2005, 10:21 PM
There are a lot of clubs in the National League on pace for about 85 wins. After St. Louis and San Diego, there is a vast sea of mediocrity that includes the Cubs. I don't think the Cubs are going to make the playoffs. In fact, I think they'll finish below .500. But there is too much baseball remaining to be played and too much mediocrity in the NL to write them off entirely.
I just took a look at the standings and you're right. The NL is awful this year. The tightest division in all of baseball is the NL East and they will beat up on each other. The other two divisions are horrible. The NL West is full of mediocre teams minus the Padres and the NL Central is a steaming pile of crap besides the Cardinals. The Cubs may actually have a chance to make the playoffs with 83-85 wins which is just sad.

Lip Man 1
06-05-2005, 01:58 AM
Cowhead:

It's happened before...see 1973 New York Mets.

Lip

fusillirob1983
06-05-2005, 02:20 PM
I don't think the Cubs will make the playoffs because there's too many teams vying for the wild card. Even though every team in the NL East plus the Cubs are slightly above .500 doesn't really make them mediocre. I think the Cubs will cool off and the Braves and Marlins will eventually pull away from the pack.

DrCrawdad
06-06-2005, 08:39 PM
On June 6, with the Cubbies having finished a mere 55 games and 107 games remaining, the SCORE is reporting that the Cubbies have a 1/2 lead in the Wild Card Race.

107 games remaining and they're reporting in a positive tone that the Cubbies have a 1/2 game lead in the Wild Card? OMG!

White Sox Josh
06-06-2005, 08:41 PM
4-0 Jays with Chacin throwing for the blue jays.