PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie Snubs Brantley

RKMeibalane
06-02-2005, 08:20 AM
From the Daily Southtown:

After making disparaging comments about how Guillen handled his bullpen in Monday's game, ESPN broadcaster Jeff Brantley tried to approach Guillen on Wednesday with a handshake and an explanation. Guillen wasn't having either, barely touching Brantley's hand and having some choice words for the former big-league reliever.

kevingrt
06-02-2005, 08:28 AM
Best thing Ozzie could do. It's not like Ozzie could have actually gone up to Brantley and have a conversation with him in a sane manner. Guillen probably would have blown up in the guys face. So, Ozzie just staged a minor snub. Then went on and laughed it off with Uribe. That is probably the best aprt of teh story. Uribe and Guillen were probably cussing out Brantley in another language.

ChiSoxBobette
06-02-2005, 08:53 AM
From the Daily Southtown:

After making disparaging comments about how Guillen handled his bullpen in Monday's game, ESPN broadcaster Jeff Brantley tried to approach Guillen on Wednesday with a handshake and an explanation. Guillen wasn't having either, barely touching Brantley's hand and having some choice words for the former big-league reliever.

has jerk brantley ever had anything good to say about the White Sox . Somebody tell him at best he was just slightly above has been and for gods sake get a new hairdo buddy.

ondafarm
06-02-2005, 08:58 AM
Hey, I didn't think Ozzie handled the bullpen that well on Monday. On the other hand, had I been on air, I would have kept my comments more professional than in the solitary of my living room.

bluestar
06-02-2005, 09:02 AM
I'm probably going to get blasted for saying this, but Brantley didn't say anything different Monday night or last night (when he basically continued Monday night's rant) than a lot of people here have been saying. I can understand Ozzie not being happy with Brantley's comments, but it isn't like Brantley's comments were completely outrageous or out of line. I thought the worst thing Brantley said was during last night's game when he said something like, "I'm telling you, a manager that doesn't know how to use his bullpen is not going to go very far." That is not an exact quote, but I think it captures the gist of the comment.

I don't know that snubbing members of the media, especially one that, like it or not, has a high profile like Brantley, is such a good idea.

I'm not a Brantley fan, and generally dislike his Baseball Tonight comments, but I didn't think he said anything that was completely outrageous in either of the games on ESPN2 this week.

Dice
06-02-2005, 09:06 AM
I'm glad Ozzie at least shook the guys hand. I'm no fan of Brantley myself but I didn't want this situation turn into what happened on the north side last year with Sox players calling the booth during the game.

Ozzie handled it well. He shook his hand and walked away.

HebrewHammer
06-02-2005, 09:39 AM
I'm glad Ozzie at least shook the guys hand. I'm no fan of Brantley myself but I didn't want this situation turn into what happened on the north side last year with Sox players calling the booth during the game.

Ozzie handled it well. He shook his hand and walked away.

Big difference between this and the "North Side Broadcaster Incident." There we had a scrub reliever head up to the booth to make comments on a broadcast, here we had a chump broadcaster seek Ozzie out to offer an explanation. I wish Ozzie would have just ignored him, broadcasters should not tell managers how to do their jobs, there is a reason why a guy is sitting in front of a microphone instead of in a dugout. Especially an Ant-Sox MediaTroll like Brantley. Jeff Brantley is another John Kruk as far as I'm concerned.

Hendu
06-02-2005, 09:51 AM
I don't know that snubbing members of the media, especially one that, like it or not, has a high profile like Brantley, is such a good idea.

Does this mean that the Sox will stop getting all the love and attention from the national media?

I'm sure Brantley and ESPN will forget all about this the next time the Yanks or BoSox win a few games in a row.

SoxFan78
06-02-2005, 10:02 AM
Does this mean that the Sox will stop getting all the love and attention from the national media?

I'm sure Brantley and ESPN will forget all about this the next time the Yanks or BoSox win a few games in a row.

If Brantley never mentions the White Sox again I will be a happy man!

StockdaleForVeep
06-02-2005, 02:23 PM
Brantley is such a good managerial prospect that ESPN has locked him up to prevent his genius from helping other teams' bullpens

swanson24
06-02-2005, 02:37 PM
The Daily Southtown was not alone in reporting this story it was also reported in the Chicago Tribune. The article is written by Mark Gonzales and is entitled: "Brusque Guillen rejects TV critic's explanation. He reported that both parties confirmed a conversation and dialogue. Brantley's point was that as long as the White Sox are competitive within their divsion the team will be subjected to criticism ( positive and negative). According to the article Ozzie just left Brantley to care about the conversation as he walked away and shared a laugh with Juan Uribe.
Bottom line Brantley is just doing his job and Ozzie is just doing his job. As a fan I will stand by Ozzie. Number 13 is the man!

miker
06-02-2005, 02:39 PM
Jeff Brantley is another John Kruk as far as I'm concerned.

Brantley quit in the middle of a game too?

FarWestChicago
06-02-2005, 04:40 PM
I'm probably going to get blasted for saying this, but Brantley didn't say anything different Monday night or last night (when he basically continued Monday night's rant) than a lot of people here have been saying.You are absolutlely correct and I was pointing this out to people last night. Now, you can either assume that Brantley and all these people are just right on the money, or you can assume that Brantley and all these people are *******s. Well, I know Brantley is an *******... :redneck

IowaSox1971
06-02-2005, 05:26 PM
Hermanson gave up two runs to the Angels on Wednesday night. And both of the runs were earned. If he had done that on Monday, we would have lost the lead in that game, too. So, it's obvious that there was no guarantee of Hermanson pitching a 1-2-3 ninth inning on Monday, even though Brantley was acting like it would have been an automatic save for Dustin. Brantley's comments were way out of line on Monday. Hermanson was on a nice run, but he's not exactly the next Mariano Rivera. Buehrle and Marte are two of our best pitchers. There was nothing wrong with having them pitch most of the ninth inning on Monday, especially with Erstad available as a possible pinch-hitter.

bluestar
06-02-2005, 05:57 PM
Hermanson gave up two runs to the Angels on Wednesday night. And both of the runs were earned. If he had done that on Monday, we would have lost the lead in that game, too. So, it's obvious that there was no guarantee of Hermanson pitching a 1-2-3 ninth inning on Monday, even though Brantley was acting like it would have been an automatic save for Dustin. Brantley's comments were way out of line on Monday. Hermanson was on a nice run, but he's not exactly the next Mariano Rivera. Buehrle and Marte are two of our best pitchers. There was nothing wrong with having them pitch most of the ninth inning on Monday, especially with Erstad available as a possible pinch-hitter.

For the record, I completely agree. I give Ozzie credit for realizing how well the Angels hit right-handed pitching. Brantley didn't like it because Ozzie didn't do things "by the book." I happen to think the move to Marte on Monday night was the right move. I think it was the same reason Ozzie let Buerhle start the 9th Monday night. But Brantley gets paid to provide the second-guessing and armchair managing.

However, I don't think Brantley's comments were that outrageous or even slightly "out of line." I didn't think it was necessarily "anti-Sox" or "anti-Ozzie." He was just doing his job, and apparently a number of people here -- some of the same ones that were calling Brantley names for stating his opinion -- agreed with him.

TomParrish79
06-02-2005, 06:58 PM
"F" Brantley and The Mullet that he rode in on.

Only way it could have been more classic is if Steve Phillips had been there for Ozzie to flip off while he was laughing with Uribe.

Fredsox
06-02-2005, 07:38 PM
Jeff Brantley is another John Kruk as far as I'm concerned.

A 40-something version of Tommy Boy with a poor command of the English language?

Infallible
06-02-2005, 07:46 PM
A 40-something version of Tommy Boy with a poor command of the English language?

Or another half man?

IowaSox1971
06-03-2005, 03:11 AM
Second-guessing is one thing, but to carry on a crusade is another. To keep harping on the fact that Hermanson wasn't in the game, and to even say at one point, "This team might have the best record in baseball, but this is terrible managing" was uncalled for. And it was especially uncalled for when you consider that the only reason the Angels scored those two runs was because of the error on the double-play ball by Iguchi. There must have been four or five times in that ninth inning where Brantley made the same point, that Hermanson should have been in the game. Once or twice would have been sufficient.

Also, I would be interested to know whether Brantley has insulted any other managers on the air in that manner. To use the words "terrible" and "horrible" in describing a manager's performance during a certain inning is not usually something you hear an analyst say. It was almost like Brantley was trying to imply that Ozzie is in over his head as a manager and doesn't know what he is doing at all. Would Brantley criticize someone like Lee Mazzilli or Eric Wedge in the same way? Would he use the words "terrible" and "horrible" to describe their moves in a game?

harwar
06-03-2005, 07:41 AM
I tape every game i attend and brantley said "this is just bad managing" on Ozzies' part.
Now,i watch a lot of baseball and i just can't remember anyone in the booth actually going out of their way to say that a guy is a "bad manager" on the air.
You can intimate or imply it but not come right out and say it.
That guy is way over the top and he not only continued his rant on wednesday but ol chris berman joined in the White Sox attack by saying that White Sox fans were "ridiculous" at the all star game held at Sox Park because we gave Carl Everett a standing ovation.
He wondered why we would do that when we didn't even know the guy,as he had just come over from the rangers,but i guess that he just didn't know that KW had aquired him the year before and that he had helped us by putting up very good offensive numbers.

Dan H
06-03-2005, 08:46 AM
All I have to say is that Ozzie better get used to the scrutiny if the Sox continue to do well. There will be many critics and second guessers before this is over. Comes with the territory.

tstrike2000
06-03-2005, 09:08 AM
Or another half man?

Oooh, that hit below the belt, but it was funny.