PDA

View Full Version : Contreras' pitch count?

gosox83
06-02-2005, 09:16 AM
Does anyone know Contreras' pitch count last night after the sixth inning? I didn't think it was even in the 90's , and I was really hoping to see him start the seventh.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. ------> I was at the game and I thought it was #56 coming in out of the bullpen cause he was lefty. I look closer and see it is Walker, and say to my brother, "Man the sweep would have been nice with the off day tomorrow, but oh well"

30 seconds later....leadoff walker, 30 seconds later basehit....30 seconds after that base hit tie game,,,,,you know the rest!!!!! :angry:

Baby Fisk
06-02-2005, 09:20 AM
Contreras went 6 innings and threw 102 pitches.

kevingrt
06-02-2005, 09:37 AM
Contreras went 6 innings and threw 102 pitches.

The guy really needs to learn how to finish guys off. How can Buerhle and Garland just fly through innings, throw about 15 pitches at most. But Contreras lags through throwing 30 pitches, walking the bases loaded and giving up a run at most. He really needs to learn how to get guys out instead of throw pitches that just account for balls.

Pulaski
06-02-2005, 09:39 AM
The guy really needs to learn how to finish guys off. How can Buerhle and Garland just fly through innings, throw about 15 pitches at most. But Contreras lags through throwing 30 pitches, walking the bases loaded and giving up a run at most. He really needs to learn how to get guys out instead of throw pitches that just account for balls.

Don't forget that Timo's error cost Perez about 22 to 28 more pitches. Thank you Ozzie for putting Timo at 1B. He hasn't played 1B since 1996 in Japan!!!

bluestar
06-02-2005, 10:12 AM

Contreras is just not a control pitcher like Buerhle and Garland. He never will be. It is the very fact that his fastball and that forkball he throws move so much that he is as effective as he is. He doesn't have four or five pitches he can throw effectively to keep the hitters off balance like Buerhle and Garland. He relies more on his movement, and that same movement results in less control.

MRKARNO
06-02-2005, 12:08 PM
Some days he's quite efficient and getting guys early in the count. Other days, he goes deep in the count on everyone. If he can pull off 6 IP with 2 ER on days where he's going deeper in the count, then I'll take it.

bluestar
06-02-2005, 12:18 PM
I'm very pleased with what Contreras has done for the Sox this year. It does seem like we have a knack for finding a way to lose when he pitches, but he has kept us in most of the games he has started. At least so far he hasn't had any of those meltdown games he seemed to have every few weeks when he was with the Yankees.

BaseballTonyght
06-02-2005, 12:54 PM
Contreras has been great this year. As a previous poster stated, he's not a control pitcher, he's a movement pitcher. Consequently he walks a lot of batters and seems to toil through extended innings. However, if he has complete command of the forkball and fastball, look out - he's one of the top pitches in the league on those nights.

Contreras' lack of consistency has always been his problem, but his talent serves him well and makes him an above average pitcher.