PDA

View Full Version : Announcer Comments

Lip Man 1
06-02-2005, 01:40 AM
Saw these comments in Baseball Prospectus regarding announcing and 'homerism'

Thought you might be interested. I recall reading that post about Dave Campbell auditioning for the Sox announcing position which is why I found these interesting.

"Broadcasting has changed so much in the last 20 years, it's unbelievable. When I came in in '75, you could say anything you wanted to say." --White Sox announcer Ken 'Hawk' Harrelson (Arizona Republic)

"I've been associated with the 'homer' tag for so long that I love it. I mean, I wouldn't have it any other way. D.J. [partner Darrin Jackson] and I both want this ball club to win every day they go out on the field and we pull for them. And I think that's one reason that we've had such good acceptance over the years. Because fans want their announcers to root for their team."
--Harrelson

"I never tried to be this perfect broadcaster with the kind of vocabulary that most broadcasters have. My emotions are genuine. I don't even know sometimes that I moan and I groan. But I do know that there's nothing wrong with being a homer."
--Cubs announcer Ron Santo

"Because I was fortunate enough to play the game and know how tough it is, I approach it from the standpoint that these guys are out there busting their tails to do the best they can. I can tell you I've never ever met a guy who's tried to fail. So I'm not a ripper. But, then again, you gotta remember, you can't insult the intelligence of people at home watching."
--San Diego Padres analyst Mark Grant

"I believe you can market a product and still maintain your credibility. But I think what's happened today is unless you're critical, there's a feeling you're not telling it like it is. And that's wrong."
--Arizona Diamondbacks announcer Joe Garagiola Sr.

"Say I'm broadcasting a Diamondbacks game and Richie Sexson hits a home run to give the team the lead. I'm not going to say: 'That's his first home run in 42 at-bats.' I'm going say: 'He just gave his team the lead.' "
--Garagiola, on putting a positive spin on statistics.

I didn't even know Joe was still broadcasting!

Lip

ClaudelSleptHere
06-02-2005, 08:52 AM
How did Santo find out that his mike was on?

NonetheLoaiza
06-02-2005, 12:23 PM
When I was out in Arizona for school, I did not much like listening to Joe.

I like Hawk's quotes. Although it has been mentioned countless times on the Hawk and DJ threads, I like that Hawk would be considered a 'homer'. I love the fact that Hawk seems to live and die with the team, and that his emotions are genuine. Compare that to Len Kasper, who just seems like he has to raise his voice in excitement because the time calls for it, but not necessarily because he is legitimately excited. That's just my opinion.

Brian26
06-02-2005, 01:41 PM
Although it has been mentioned countless times on the Hawk and DJ threads, I like that Hawk would be considered a 'homer'. I love the fact that Hawk seems to live and die with the team, and that his emotions are genuine.

I wouldn't want it any other way. I think a lot of people here forget the year that Gary Thorne was our tv announcer in '89. It was brutal. Kasper is the perfect example of a generic announcer...he's terrible to listen to. No emotion or connection with the team whatsoever. Give me Hawk any day of the week.

AZChiSoxFan
06-02-2005, 02:33 PM
I didn't even know Joe was still broadcasting!

Lip

He only does a few games here and there, and they are absolutely dreadful!! He fills in when everybody else is off, as a last resort. I would prefer no analyst to Joe Sr. He's on this anti-tobacco crusade, which is fine with me, but he carries it way too far. If the camera shows a player with a wad in his mouth, Joe will talk about the evils of tobacco for the next three innings. Besides that, all he does is talk about baseball stories from the 40's and 50's. He can go for 2 or 3 innings at a time and not comment once on the game at hand. If he ever does get around to commenting on the game, it's typically something along the lines of "the team could really use a hit here." He needs to give it up.

PatK
06-02-2005, 04:11 PM
Kasper is the perfect example of a generic announcer...he's terrible to listen to. No emotion or connection with the team whatsoever. Give me Hawk any day of the week.

Kasper is a poor man's Thom Brennaman.

hsnterprize
06-04-2005, 11:55 PM
I remember a few years ago when "The Baseball Network" was on TV. For those of you who don't know, it was baseball's effort to further promote itself in the early-to-mid 90's with this "Network" taking over network broadcasts of games. Several announcers from across the country were paired together to do games, and Hawk worked a White Sox game with an analyst who wasn't his usual sidekick. I heard Hawk got in trouble for being too much of a "homer" on his broadcasts, and he basically told the powers-that-be "That's the way it is..." meaning he wasn't going to change his style. He never did a game for this "Network" again.

I think Hawk is great for the Sox. He fits them like a glove, and if you've been noticing, a lot of his "Hawkisms" are being used on places like ESPN, CNN, and other national news/sports entities. Is it me, or is Hawk becoming "cool" with the masses?

TornLabrum
06-04-2005, 11:59 PM
I remember a few years ago when "The Baseball Network" was on TV. For those of you who don't know, it was baseball's effort to further promote itself in the early-to-mid 90's with this "Network" taking over network broadcasts of games. Several announcers from across the country were paired together to do games, and Hawk worked a White Sox game with an analyst who wasn't his usual sidekick. I heard Hawk got in trouble for being too much of a "homer" on his broadcasts, and he basically told the powers-that-be "That's the way it is..." meaning he wasn't going to change his style. He never did a game for this "Network" again.

I think Hawk is great for the Sox. He fits them like a glove, and if you've been noticing, a lot of his "Hawkisms" are being used on places like ESPN, CNN, and other national news/sports entities. Is it me, or is Hawk becoming "cool" with the masses?

Yes, who can forget in the All-Star Game's Home Run Derby a couple of years ago when Chris Berman used Hawk's world famous, "You can put it on the booooaaaarrrrrrd...GONE!" call. You've gotta love ESPN.

Cubbiesuck13
06-05-2005, 12:15 AM
Yes, who can forget in the All-Star Game's Home Run Derby a couple of years ago when Chris Berman used Hawk's world famous, "You can put it on the booooaaaarrrrrrd...GONE!" call. You've gotta love ESPN.

I like Hawk and DJ but I doubt I would if they called for another team. Rooney and Farmer on the other hand are two guys you can listen to and know what's going on as well as who they root for without getting ticked off by comments they make. Usually, they will talk about the opposing team just as much as the SOX early in the broadcast. I like that because it sets up a good backround for later in the game. The royals have a good radio team, in my opinion. The Indians play-by-play guy is one of the worst I have ever heard. Every fly ball is a homerun untill it is caught 10 feet in front of the warning track. Darn wind...