PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Walker sent back down to Charlotte

ChiSox14305635
06-01-2005, 10:56 PM
Had a chance to make an impression, and he blew it. HE GONE!

cheeses_h_rice
06-01-2005, 10:57 PM
I'll miss him, greatly.

RKMeibalane
06-01-2005, 10:57 PM
Cue Nancy Faust...

Viva Medias B's
06-01-2005, 10:59 PM
Real good idea by Ozzie giving Walker his tryout with a 1-run lead.

Hendu
06-01-2005, 11:02 PM
I wonder if this move was going to be made no matter what Walker did in tonight's game. Seems like he hasn't been used enough to justify a roster spot.

TornLabrum
06-01-2005, 11:16 PM
All I know is that because Ozzie chose to use Walker tonight and to play Timo at first base, I'm now below .500 in games I've attended. I'm one unhappy camper tonight.

Cubbiesuck13
06-01-2005, 11:22 PM
I wonder if this move was going to be made no matter what Walker did in tonight's game. Seems like he hasn't been used enough to justify a roster spot.

BINGO! It wouldn't have mattered if he pitched 3 innings of no hit ball, he would have gone down today.

CPditka
06-01-2005, 11:29 PM
If you are up one run, you put in a good pitcher... say it with me Ozzie, good pitcher.

Unregistered
06-01-2005, 11:38 PM
Exactly. I'm no fan of Walker, but that was a ****head move in that situation. For the Sox and Walker.

skobabe8
06-02-2005, 12:11 AM
All I know is that because Ozzie chose to use Walker tonight and to play Timo at first base, I'm now below .500 in games I've attended. I'm one unhappy camper tonight.

I'm on the verge of .500, too, and none too happy about it! Thats why I want to choose my next game carefully!

JB98
06-02-2005, 12:19 AM

That's pretty bad luck to be below .500, especially since we are 17-7 at home. You should start attending more of Buerhle's starts. I'm 5-2 overall, but 3-0 when Mark pitches.
:rolleyes:

As for Walker, there was no point in him ever being called up. We hardly used him, and as a result, he was completely useless to the team tonight. I'm sure he was sent down to make room for El Duque. I wonder how long it will be before they make a decision about Gload.....

Cubbiesuck13
06-02-2005, 12:21 AM
That's pretty bad luck to be below .500, especially since we are 17-7 at home. You should start attending more of Buerhle's starts. I'm 5-2 overall, but 3-0 when Mark pitches.
:rolleyes:

As for Walker, there was no point in him ever being called up. We hardly used him, and as a result, he was completely useless to the team tonight. I'm sure he was sent down to make room for El Duque. I wonder how long it will be before they make a decision about Gload.....

I don't think it will be Perez after seeing The Oz start him at 1st today. I think he feels comfortable puting him in the lineup when he needs to. It's anyones guess as to who will go down.

BNLSox
06-02-2005, 12:23 AM
Absolutely stick with Mark. I'm 1-0 out here in LA, having attended that crazy match up between him and Colon in Anaheim.

Poor Contreras having all of his games so mismanaged.

Lip Man 1
06-02-2005, 12:24 AM
I'm not shedding any tears over Walker. Thomas isn't going anywhere according to the Tribune.

Not a lot of options when Gload returns...Timo or Harris I figure.

Got those bags packed yet Willie?

Lip

IowaSox1971
06-02-2005, 02:31 AM
Walker should not have started the seventh inning. Vizcaino should have been able to pitch the seventh and eighth for us and hold the lead and get the game to Hermanson. If he can't do it, we should try to find someone who can. Politte, Cotts and Marte, I believe, were unavailable because of recent heavy use. So, this was the type of game where Vizcaino or even Takatsu should have been given the chance to hold the lead. We have to get Vizcaino and Shingo back on track.

shoota
06-02-2005, 02:49 AM
Had a chance to make an impression,

No he didn't.

Lip, I haven't liked Willie in the past, but he's been a good performer with a better attitude this year. It would be a mistake, IMO, to send him down. He comes off the bench and gives quality at bats.

wdelaney72
06-02-2005, 08:20 AM

Yes it was a good idea. We currently only have 2 pitchers who are getting it donw - Politte and Hermanson. Cotts has been pretty good, but hasn't consistently done it. Marte hasn't either. We need a lefty who can go in and hold a lead. He had a few small appearances under his belt. It was time for him to take the diaper off. He soiled himself. Back to the farm he goes.

I don't agree with all of Ozzie's pitching decisions, but this one I do.

wdelaney72
06-02-2005, 08:27 AM
Walker should not have started the seventh inning. Vizcaino should have been able to pitch the seventh and eighth for us and hold the lead and get the game to Hermanson. If he can't do it, we should try to find someone who can. Politte, Cotts and Marte, I believe, were unavailable because of recent heavy use. So, this was the type of game where Vizcaino or even Takatsu should have been given the chance to hold the lead. We have to get Vizcaino and Shingo back on track.

Uh, Vizcaino has 6 earned runs in 12 innings pitched over his last 10 games. If Ozzie would have put him in, there would have been a riot at the Angels bat rack. I don't Vizcaino or Shingo anywhere near the mound with a 1-run lead.

kevingrt
06-02-2005, 08:34 AM
Our bullpen is like crumbling before our very eyes. Hopefully it's just a bad spell and Marte will be fine. I pray that Luis Vizcanio can somehow come back from this terrible start to a season. Polittle and Hermanson have been great and Cotts has been fine for a mop-up man. Shingo is just in another world though. As for Kevin Walker, what was he even doing with us for like three weeks besides having fun with guys in the bullpen?

duke of dorwood
06-02-2005, 08:41 AM
With all the quality starts we have had, there's no reason for this bullpen to be tired. The heavy use is the fault of the MANAGER-and he has to use guys like Shingo-he can still get outs. Its also time to trade Vizcaino-he's clearly not inspired by his role here.

daveeym
06-02-2005, 09:31 AM
With all the quality starts we have had, there's no reason for this bullpen to be tired. The heavy use is the fault of the MANAGER-and he has to use guys like Shingo-he can still get outs. Its also time to trade Vizcaino-he's clearly not inspired by his role here. Oh please, the starters have had some rough outings this week so that's Oz's fault?

On to a broader thread wise rant...

Also, whether or not Walker is good or not, he's gonna have to pitch at some time or that bullpen will get even more tired. This was a game ozzie hoped to steal a win out of and get Hermy some work. Unfortunately with how schedules and performances work out it's necessary to approach some games like that. The sox have had a brutal stretch, have a big divisional match up followed up with 2 series on the road for interleague games where you're gonna more than likely use more pitchers due to pinch hitting for them.

Every games important, yes, but there are throw away games where you just hope to steal a win, yesterday was one of them.

Dick Allen
06-02-2005, 01:16 PM
Another case of closing the barn door after the horses got out.

Fungo
06-02-2005, 01:34 PM
Did he take Ozzie with him?

TornLabrum
06-02-2005, 07:51 PM
Uh, Vizcaino has 6 earned runs in 12 innings pitched over his last 10 games. If Ozzie would have put him in, there would have been a riot at the Angels bat rack. I don't Vizcaino or Shingo anywhere near the mound with a 1-run lead.

The good news is that Vizcaino didn't give up any earned runs last night. The bad news is that the first batter he faced drove in the last two runs charged to Walker.

veeter
06-02-2005, 07:57 PM
I'm pretty sure Frank goes to the DL and Gload is brought up. El Duke then takes Walker's spot. At least that's what they SHOULD do because Frank can't play interleague.

ShoelessJoeS
06-02-2005, 08:09 PM
I'm pretty sure Frank goes to the DL and Gload is brought up. El Duke then takes Walker's spot. At least that's what they SHOULD do because Frank can't play interleague.
frank will not go back on the dl, right now they have 24 men on the active roster after the walker demotion. the 25th spot is reserved for duque when he comes up in a few days. when gload is healthy enough to return he will most likely take timos place, if hes still here by then. even though id like to see luis or shingo polish up their stuff in AAA

South Side
06-02-2005, 11:41 PM
frank will not go back on the dl, right now they have 24 men on the active roster after the walker demotion. the 25th spot is reserved for duque when he comes up in a few days. when gload is healthy enough to return he will most likely take timos place, if hes still here by then. even though id like to see luis or shingo polish up their stuff in AAA

In a few days? Isn't he pitching tomorrow?

JB98
06-03-2005, 12:22 AM

Totally disagree. Our interleague trip only lasts a week. Why DL Frank for 15 days? I say, Thomas stays on the active roster and is used as a pinch-hitter. If you watched the game last night, you saw Rodriguez practically crap his jammies when Frank walked up there representing the tying run. He couldn't wait to pitch around him.

I'm not sure how much help Gload is to us if his shoulder problem prevents him from playing the outfield. We don't need three 1B/DHs. Our bench loses a lot of versatility if either Harris or Perez is sent packing in favor of Gload.

ShoelessJoeS
06-03-2005, 12:37 AM
In a few days? Isn't he pitching tomorrow?
sorry, all i meant was that he had the 25th spot when he came back