PDA

View Full Version : Palehose...

BigHurtEm35
06-01-2005, 09:45 PM
Been a Sox fan all my life and a long time lurker here and first time poster. I'm not sure if this topic has been talked about before or if i'll get laughed out after my first post. But I can't remember nor find through searches where the nickname Palehose originated from or what it means. Help me out!!

I want Mags back
06-01-2005, 09:48 PM
Pale- Light colored, in this case "White"
ex: You're white skin looks pale

Hose- A long Sock

make sense?

PAPChiSox729
06-01-2005, 09:48 PM
Been a Sox fan all my life and a long time lurker here and first time poster. I'm not sure if this topic has been talked about before or if i'll get laughed out after my first post. But I can't remember nor find through searches where the nickname Palehose originated from or what it means. Help me out!!

Firstly,
:welcome:

Secondly, I'm not 100% sure but I always assumed Palehose came from White Sox. White is pretty pale and I believe 'hose' is a kind of sock. I'm sure one of the older guys will know for sure.

Deadguy
06-01-2005, 09:51 PM
:welcome:

Welcome aboard. Go Sox!

Daver
06-01-2005, 09:53 PM
It started appearing in the newspapers as a nickname in the 1920's, probably as an attempt to get away from the term "Black Sox", and has hung around ever since.

skobabe8
06-02-2005, 12:05 AM

:welcome: :cheers: Dude, no one is gonna laugh you outta here. (At least not on your first post! :D: ) Welcome to WSI, and believe me, there have been dumber questions than yours.

TDog
06-02-2005, 01:10 AM
It started appearing in the newspapers as a nickname in the 1920's, probably as an attempt to get away from the term "Black Sox", and has hung around ever since.

I've never heard that, but it sounds logical. I'm sure that nickname is pre-television. It has a sort of sportswriter-poetry to it, almost as if Ring Lardner had something to do with it.

Other teams have alternate nicknames, obviously conjured up by people bored with writing the same team names over and over. The Red Sox are less frequently called the Carmine Hose. The Pirates more frequently go by Bucs, short for Buccaneers. Some people call the Marlins the Fish. People used replace Cubs with Bruins, but I haven't heard that for years.

I still remember a headline the Sporting News ran over a 1970 story about the White Sox: Pale Hose getting paler and paler.

Baby Fisk
06-02-2005, 07:20 AM
I've never heard that, but it sounds logical. I'm sure that nickname is pre-television. It has a sort of sportswriter-poetry to it, almost as if Ring Lardner had something to do with it.

Other teams have alternate nicknames, obviously conjured up by people bored with writing the same team names over and over. The Red Sox are less frequently called the Carmine Hose. The Pirates more frequently go by Bucs, short for Buccaneers. Some people call the Marlins the Fish. People used replace Cubs with Bruins, but I haven't heard that for years.

I still remember a headline the Sporting News ran over a 1970 story about the White Sox: Pale Hose getting paler and paler.
Baseball nicknames are great. Some others:

Angels = Halos
Indians = Tribe
Cardinals = Redbirds
Brewers = Brew Crew
Yankees = Evil Empire
Nationals = Gnats (saw that one recently)
Padres = Friars
Rockies = Rox

and some less creative ones: the O's, A's and M's.

bunnybrief
06-02-2005, 07:41 AM
What a lovely thread!

:)

TDog
06-02-2005, 01:23 PM
... Nationals = Gnats (saw that one recently)

The old Washington Senators, and the even older Washington Senators were also known as the Nats. It was a headline thing, mostly. When I was a kid, before running off to Southridge Elementary School in Highland, I remember Ray Raynor musing about the origins of the nickname, between Bugs Bunny cartoons.

My father grew up on the New Jersey coast, as a Brooklyn Dodger fan. I asked him once why fans called them the Bums, considering they seemed to be in the World Series constantly from the time he was about 7. He told me that they indeed were bums. Then, I asked, what are the White Sox?

ja1022
06-02-2005, 01:34 PM
Baseball nicknames are great. Some others:

Angels = Halos
Indians = Tribe
Cardinals = Redbirds
Brewers = Brew Crew
Yankees = Evil Empire
Nationals = Gnats (saw that one recently)
Padres = Friars
Rockies = Rox

and some less creative ones: the O's, A's and M's.

You forgot:

Cubs = ****in'cubs

soxGirl14
06-02-2005, 02:07 PM

dont worry, i didnt get it at first either and finally asked my boyfriend and had him explain it to me! lol

Paulwny
06-02-2005, 02:20 PM
SI's Frank Deford-- Pale Hose, the best alternative nickname in sports

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/frank_deford/05/19/pale.hose/

TornLabrum
06-02-2005, 07:48 PM
The old Washington Senators, and the even older Washington Senators were also known as the Nats. It was a headline thing, mostly. When I was a kid, before running off to Southridge Elementary School in Highland, I remember Ray Raynor musing about the origins of the nickname, between Bugs Bunny cartoons.

My father grew up on the New Jersey coast, as a Brooklyn Dodger fan. I asked him once why fans called them the Bums, considering they seemed to be in the World Series constantly from the time he was about 7. He told me that they indeed were bums. Then, I asked, what are the White Sox?

I think I read somewhere that sometime around 1910 the Senators actually called themsleves the Nationals for a few years.

SpammySosa
06-02-2005, 09:49 PM
You forgot:

Cubs = ****in'cubs

....or Scrubs,Chubs,Lovable Losers(minus the Lovable)and Chicago's minor league team.:cool:

pasquasroachclip
06-02-2005, 10:19 PM
I think I read somewhere that sometime around 1910 the Senators actually called themsleves the Nationals for a few years.

Actually, the official nickname of the Washington A.L. club was the Nationals; it wasn't changed to Senators until 1956.

BlackHat91
06-02-2005, 10:30 PM
A little off topic, but I have a newb question also. What is with the threads where replies are in teal or pink?

TornLabrum
06-02-2005, 10:35 PM
A little off topic, but I have a newb question also. What is with the threads where replies are in teal or pink?

This is not teal.
This is teal.

Teal represents sarcasm.

Deep pink or whatever it's called represents pipe dreams.

Daver
06-02-2005, 10:47 PM
:tealtutor:

Maybe this will help.

TDog
06-02-2005, 10:48 PM
Actually, the official nickname of the Washington A.L. club was the Nationals; it wasn't changed to Senators until 1956.

While 1956 was a year before I was born, I would have expected people in my father's generation would have remembered something like that.

Nellie_Fox
06-02-2005, 11:05 PM
The Senators were an original AL team, starting in 1901. From Baseball-Reference.com:

The Senators were officialy the Washington Nationals from 1905-1955, but the fans never recognized them as such.

Sox of White
06-02-2005, 11:27 PM
....or Scrubs,Chubs,Lovable Losers(minus the Lovable)and Chicago's minor league team.:cool:

Don't forget flubs.