PDA

View Full Version : Something to think about


Daver
11-12-2001, 07:05 PM
This occured to me while driving home today,MLB is saying that they need to contract because of a financial need to do so,while NASCAR is pulling their hair out trying to figure out how to expand their schedule to supply the demand.

Somehow that doesn't sound right to me,and I am a big fan of NASCAR.

But then again what the hell do I know?

kermittheefrog
11-12-2001, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by daver
This occured to me while driving home today,MLB is saying that they need to contract because of a financial need to do so,while NASCAR is pulling their hair out trying to figure out how to expand their schedule to supply the demand.

Somehow that doesn't sound right to me,and I am a big fan of NASCAR.

But then again what the hell do I know?

I hate this whole contraction thing. How the hell does contraction help any of the owners? The teams potentially leaving aren't the ones that drive out salaries of top free agents. It's not like fans in New York or Chicago or L.A. say "wow I'm not going to go to a baseball game today because the Expos are in existance."

All contraction really does it cost the owners money to pay the existing franchise owners.

PaleHoseGeorge
11-12-2001, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
All contraction really does it cost the owners money to pay the existing franchise owners.

It's even worse than that, Kermit. After he collects $250 million for running the Expos straight into the ground, Loria intends to buy the Florida Marlins! What the hell does this solve? Not even Huizinga could get a new stadium down there, and he won a World Series!

This contraction racket can be pretty profitable when you're on the receiving end. And Loria's fellow owners aren't even smart enough to run him out of the game--they're perfectly willing to let him stick around and collect another fat payday sometime in the future. Unbelievable.

That's the surest sign (in my mind) that this contraction crisis is simply a charade by the owners. No right-thinking person in the world would pay $250 million so Loria can STAY an owner.

doublem23
11-12-2001, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
"wow I'm not going to go to a baseball game today because the Expos are in existance."

Actually, I've said that from time to time.. :)

CerberusWG
11-12-2001, 08:16 PM
Ugg NASCAR. Hell, I wouldn't mind if NASCAR went away completely. WHOA LOOK AT THAT LEFT TURN BY GORODN!!

Whoa, hold the phones! I don't understand how making a left turn 500+ times is what you call exciting.

Daver
11-12-2001, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by CerberusWG
Ugg NASCAR. Hell, I wouldn't mind if NASCAR went away completely. WHOA LOOK AT THAT LEFT TURN BY GORODN!!

Whoa, hold the phones! I don't understand how making a left turn 500+ times is what you call exciting.

Get in a race car(I will let you borrow mine)and try driving 20 laps at full speed,and when you can't make ten,get out and tell me that these guys aren't athletes.

There is a lot more to driving a race car than being able to turn left.

CerberusWG
11-12-2001, 08:33 PM
People driving making them athletes? Give me a break, after about a few weeks of practicing anyone can get that, well probabaly not me. I'd run into a wall sooner or later.Eh, fudge it I'm too lazy to argue. I just don't find people driving exciting, the crashes are fun to watch though, heh.

Daver
11-12-2001, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by CerberusWG
People driving making them athletes? Give me a break, after about a few weeks of practicing anyone can get that, well probabaly not me. I'd run into a wall sooner or later.Eh, fudge it I'm too lazy to argue. I just don't find people driving exciting, the crashes are fun to watch though, heh.

I tried it for a few YEARS and never mastered it,thats why I switched to drag racing,you don't have to turn.

CerberusWG
11-12-2001, 08:39 PM
Ahh, good choice then! Well, do you consider the Drag racing drivers athletes, or do the main people of the team drive them?

Dadawg_77
11-12-2001, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by daver


Get in a race car(I will let you borrow mine)and try driving 20 laps at full speed,and when you can't make ten,get out and tell me that these guys aren't athletes.

There is a lot more to driving a race car than being able to turn left.

I'm not a big fan of NASCAR, well I change the channel every time I see it on TV. BUt I would love to drive the car, just a need for speed I guess. But I can't see how it would be fun to watch a car go around and around. I guess I just don't get it.

But on the contraction, look the owners will make money in the long run. Thats the main driving point on why to contract. The millions from FOX are spilt equal among the teams, well now each team will recieve more money. Also if MLB starts a revnue sharing program, there are less teams to partake. The reason the Expo owners stays is he wants in baseball and there are couple who want out. Disney wants out and can't find a buyer, MLB wants a AL team in LA area so the Angles stay but a displace owner buys them. The owner of the Twins wants out and MLB needs another team to leave if it contracts the Expos. The reason MLB may not want to move the Expo or another team to DC is they are afraid of taking away part of Balitmores fan base. The main reason behind baseball expaning a few years ago was to generate money to pay off the players colussion claims. About $250 million and they got $250 million from the expansion teams. They never should of expanded thus Expos could now moved to Arz or Tampa. Sorry for the misspelled words but the checker isn;t working.

Daver
11-12-2001, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by CerberusWG
Ahh, good choice then! Well, do you consider the Drag racing drivers athletes, or do the main people of the team drive them?

I don't know I don't have a team,I am a one man gang at the dragstrip.

FarWestChicago
11-12-2001, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Sorry for the misspelled words but the checker isn;t working. It's working. Make sure you use the URL, including the www, and not the IP to access the forums. For some reason it thinks "Dadawg" is misspelled. :)

Dadawg_77
11-12-2001, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
It's working. Make sure you use the URL, including the www, and not the IP to access the forums. For some reason it thinks "Dadawg" is misspelled. :)

I got to come up but it would stop at Daver and load the front page of the site.

FarWestChicago
11-12-2001, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77


I got to come up but it would stop at Daver and load the front page of the site. LOL! That's a new one. Aren't you running IE on ME? It should work fine.

Dadawg_77
11-12-2001, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
LOL! That's a new one. Aren't you running IE on ME? It should work fine.

I'm on either net 6.0 or IE on XP. Using two browsers at once make checking fantasy teams easy

Well now its working, before when it stop on Daver and I click ignore it loaded the front page.