PDA

View Full Version : Trade idea: Available pen help

rowand33
06-01-2005, 09:48 PM
Ok, tonight's game has made me actually worry abot our pen.

I still trust in Hermanson, Politte, Marte, Cotts, and even Shingo to an extent.

But I think we could use a lil more bullpen help. Especially since it's possible Cotts cuold just become terrible again, and Shingo hasn't exactly been studding it up.

so, relievers I think that we could trade for (note: I just looked at all the bad teams and picked who they might trade):

Danys Baez-TB
Felix Rodriguez-NYY
Jason Frasor-Tor
Justin Speier-Tor
Octavio Dotel-Oak
Kiko Calero-Oak
Eddie Guardado-Sea
Shigetoshi Hasegawa-Sea
Billy Wagner-Phi
Brad Lidge-Hou
Jose Mesa-Pit
Salomon Torres-Pit

So, I think we could get Torres for next to nothing. Same with Mesa.

Who do you guys think we should go after?

TheOldRoman
06-01-2005, 09:52 PM
Um, not Mesa or Dotel.

PAPChiSox729
06-01-2005, 09:57 PM
Billy Wagner-Phi
Brad Lidge-Hou

:drool::drool:

Why not both?

SoxFan76
06-01-2005, 11:09 PM
After today I've decided this team needs another solid lefty. Unlike most, I do trust Cotts. I still trust Marte.....in the 8th inning or for one batter in the 9th. Putting Kevin Walker into a 1 run game against a good team? Ridiculous.

Another solid lefty would be spectacular to go along with Hermanson and Pollite, and even Shingo from the right side. Hmm...come to think of it, another solid righty wouldn't sound bad either. haha, but I shouldn't get greedy.

Palehose Pete
06-01-2005, 11:31 PM
I think TB's Baez will be on the market soon enough. He's good, too.

Chisox003
06-01-2005, 11:39 PM
Finally, a reasonable trade thread not calling for the heads of any of starters (Crede, Konerko, Dye, etc), and actually for something we are in need of...

This team could be somethin scary with a guy like Wagner....Oh my....Take a game like tonight, with fresh arms in the pen, Contreras for 6, Politte, Wagner, Hermanson for the 7th, 8th, 9th....Yikes

Ill keep it reasonable though, and I wouldnt mind having a guy like Torres, but a lefty would be ideal

fusillirob1983
06-01-2005, 11:52 PM

I still trust in Hermanson, Politte, Marte, Cotts, and even Shingo to an extent.

But I think we could use a lil more bullpen help. Especially since it's possible Cotts cuold just become terrible again, and Shingo hasn't exactly been studding it up.

so, relievers I think that we could trade for (note: I just looked at all the bad teams and picked who they might trade):

Danys Baez-TB
Felix Rodriguez-NYY
Jason Frasor-Tor
Justin Speier-Tor
Octavio Dotel-Oak
Kiko Calero-Oak
Eddie Guardado-Sea
Shigetoshi Hasegawa-Sea
Billy Wagner-Phi
Brad Lidge-Hou
Jose Mesa-Pit
Salomon Torres-Pit

I agree that these are all decent suggestions for the bullpen, but I don't agree that the Yankees, Blue Jays, and Phillies would be looking to trade just yet. Yes, the Phillies are in last, but I think they're only a few games back with Jim Thome rejoining the lineup.

rowand33
06-02-2005, 12:48 AM
I agree that these are all decent suggestions for the bullpen, but I don't agree that the Yankees, Blue Jays, and Phillies would be looking to trade just yet. Yes, the Phillies are in last, but I think they're only a few games back with Jim Thome rejoining the lineup.

Felix Rodriguez is supposed to be on the market beacuse the Yanks want to get rid of his contract. But I agree with what you've said there.

I think that torres and baez could both be gotten soon.

I worry about getting baez because of tampa bay screwing the Mets with that Victor Zambrano trade. I love Kenny, but I could see him getting taken advantage of.

Torres would be like free.

Lip Man 1
06-02-2005, 01:31 AM
The Sporting News print edition speculated this week that Lidge is someone the Sox might be interested in and that Houston may consider trading.

Lip

TheOldRoman
06-02-2005, 01:52 AM
The Sporting News print edition speculated this week that Lidge is someone the Sox might be interested in and that Houston may consider trading.

Lip
That would be great. However, Lidge is making only $500,000 this year. Unless he is in the last year of his contract, why would the Astros dump him? Either way, if the Sox get Lidge it would require top level talent.

edit: MLB.com says Lidge made his major league debut in 2002. Therefore, he would have either 2 or 3 years of arbitration left after this year. Its gonna take A LOT to win the bidding war for him.

Lip Man 1
06-02-2005, 10:18 AM
Roman:

According to the story...

"The Astros would be trading Lidge, who has a history of arm trouble, when his value is peaking. he isn't eligible to become a free agent until after the 2008 season."

Lip

MUScholar21
06-02-2005, 10:27 AM
It would be nice to have a more known, reliable guy in the bullpen, so that maybe we don't have to even consider Cotts (whoever feels comfortable with him needs to check their home for a gas leak-he's a high wire act). However, everyone needs to remember one thing-a trade requires GIVING something in return. Who do we give up for a Lidge (who's value is through the roof) or even a Baez (Tampa is going to want prospects who will be ready for next year-hear that Brandon McCarthy?). It's easy to throw out people WE want, but we have to give up something too.

And by the way, lay off Ozzie for putting in Kevin Walker. Guillen needed to find out how he responds in pressure situations, and unfortunately there is no other way to do that than put him in a critical position. It didn't work, Walker has been sent down, and the world is right again.

Spicoli
06-02-2005, 10:59 AM
Um, not Mesa or Dotel.

Dotel is down and out...nobody should gamble on him. Here is latest from rotoworld.com:

Dr. James Andrews agreed with the initial diagnosis that Octavio Dotel (elbow) does not need surgery.
''Neither physician is comfortable operating on the elbow,'' trainer Larry Davis said. ''Two guys he has seen are not very excited about operating at this time. If you go to enough places, somebody will try it.'' Dotel doesn't seem like a good bet to pitch effectively through pain, to say the least. Jun. 2 - 9:58 am et

Ol' No. 2
06-02-2005, 11:40 AM

Danys Baez-TB
Felix Rodriguez-NYY
Jason Frasor-Tor
Justin Speier-Tor
Octavio Dotel-Oak
Kiko Calero-Oak
Eddie Guardado-Sea
Shigetoshi Hasegawa-Sea
Billy Wagner-Phi
Brad Lidge-Hou
Jose Mesa-Pit
Salomon Torres-Pit

Who do you guys think we should go after?If anyone has some time on their hands (I don't today), it would be very helpful to know these guys' contract status.

infohawk
06-02-2005, 12:22 PM

Danys Baez-TB
Felix Rodriguez-NYY
Jason Frasor-Tor
Justin Speier-Tor
Octavio Dotel-Oak
Kiko Calero-Oak
Eddie Guardado-Sea
Shigetoshi Hasegawa-Sea
Billy Wagner-Phi
Brad Lidge-Hou
Jose Mesa-Pit
Salomon Torres-Pit

I would love to land Guardado. I think his personality would be a great fit with what this team is trying to do. I see him as kind of a left-handed Dustin Hermanson in that he is reliable, throws strikes and just flat-out competes. The great thing about Eddie is his control. He's around the plate and rarely issues walks. The drawback is that he is somewhat expensive for a reliever.

MUScholar21
06-02-2005, 02:26 PM
I would love to land Guardado. I think his personality would be a great fit with what this team is trying to do. I see him as kind of a left-handed Dustin Hermanson in that he is reliable, throws strikes and just flat-out competes. The great thing about Eddie is his control. He's around the plate and rarely issues walks. The drawback is that he is somewhat expensive for a reliever.

Not only is he expensive, but he's got some miles on him. You can't have it both ways, but while I do want experience I'd prefer it from someone with a little more youth.

ShoelessJoeS
06-02-2005, 02:48 PM
Not only is he expensive, but he's got some miles on him. You can't have it both ways, but while I do want experience I'd prefer it from someone with a little more youth.

its good to have youth but you know kenny and his win now mindset

Man Soo Lee
06-02-2005, 02:49 PM
Contract status:

Danys Baez-TB: 3.5M in '05, 4M team option for '06 with 1M buyout
Felix Rodriguez-NYY: 3.15M in '05, FA
Jason Frasor-Tor: .33M in '05, years away from FA
Justin Speier-Tor: 1.9M in '05, 2.25 in '06
Octavio Dotel-Oak: 4.75M in '05, FA
Kiko Calero-Oak: .33M in '05, 4 years from FA
Eddie Guardado-Sea: 4.5M+ in '05, 4.5M+ in '06--bonuses for finishing games
Shigetoshi Hasegawa-Sea: 3.225M in '05, 3.1M vesting option for '06 if he makes 58 appearances this year
Billy Wagner-Phi: 9M in '05, FA
Brad Lidge-Hou: .5M in '05, 3 more years away from FA
Jose Mesa-Pit: 2M in '05, 4M team option for '06 with .5M buyout
Salomon Torres-Pit: 1M in '05, 1.4M in '06

rowand33
06-02-2005, 04:18 PM
Contract status:

Shigetoshi Hasegawa-Sea: 3.225M in '05, 3.1M vesting option for '06 if he makes 58 appearances this year
Salomon Torres-Pit: 1M in '05, 1.4M in '06

Lidge is perfect. .5 M in '05 with 3 years on that? wow

Baez, Rodriguez, Wagner, and Torres can all be done and are worth it. Dotel isn't worth the money.

Foulke You
06-02-2005, 09:43 PM
I'm with you here infohawk. Guardado is definitely the cream of the crop on that list in my opinion and another left hander is what the Sox sorely need in that bullpen. However, there are a couple drawbacks to Everyday Eddie. First of all, he views himself as a closer and may not be too happy to come to a team and have to play third fiddle to Hermanson or Polite. However, Ozzie might be able to sell him on the team and get him on the same page as our club. Another drawback is his contract has him locked up for 2006 for $4.5 million. That is a lot of dough to commit to a guy you plan on using as a lefty setup man when you have the contracts of Konerko and Thomas expiring at season's end. However, the pluses are that the prospect of coming to a contender might be appealing at this stage of Guardado's career. Also, he is a veteran who knows the AL Central very well and has pitched in pressure playoff games before. It will definitely be intriguing to see if KW explores this possibility.

Ol' No. 2
06-03-2005, 04:09 PM
Contract status:

Salomon Torres-Pit: 1M in '05, 1.4M in '06Muchas Gracias

Put me down for one Billy Wagner to go, please.

Jjav829
06-03-2005, 04:36 PM
Put me down for one Billy Wagner to go, please.

That sounds good. I'll have what he's having. Oh, and can I get mine with a side order of Brad Lidge?

beckett21
06-03-2005, 04:41 PM
All things being equal, Brad Lidge is the no-brainer on this list IMO. He is far and away the best pitcher on this list, with the possible exception of Billy Wagner. I'd personally prefer Lidge.

Of course, the question remains what will it take to get him and who will the Sox be bidding against?

Seems like a pipedream to me, but Lidge would be a spectacular addition to this club. Sounds too good to be true.

Ol' No. 2
06-03-2005, 04:50 PM
All things being equal, Brad Lidge is the no-brainer on this list IMO. He is far and away the best pitcher on this list, with the possible exception of Billy Wagner. I'd personally prefer Lidge.

Of course, the question remains what will it take to get him and who will the Sox be bidding against?

Seems like a pipedream to me, but Lidge would be a spectacular addition to this club. Sounds too good to be true.I'd love to have him, but I don't see the Astros trading Lidge. He's still pretty cheap and won't be FA eligible for a while.

WhiteSoxFan84
06-03-2005, 04:59 PM
how are brad lidge and kiko calero available? kiko, MAYBE, but lidge is an untouchable. the astros just dealt wagner away because of this guy and he's still very young.

id love to get kiko calero if he is available. the kid can pitch.

Flight #24
06-03-2005, 05:01 PM

Seems like a pipedream to me, but Lidge would be a spectacular addition to this club. Sounds too good to be true.

This is the key question for Lidge and to a lesser extent, Wagner. BMac? Sweeney? Anderson?

Personally, I'd rather go for a setup guy. They'll come a ton cheaper, and it's as effective since Hermanson looks like he can handle the closer job. I discount his last outing since he hadn't pitched in what seems like 8 years prior to that, which is a problem for most pitchers.

Factoring in trade cost, I'll take an order of whichever the chef feels is the freshest - the NY Rodriguez, the canadian Frasor, or the PA Torres.

Mohoney
06-03-2005, 05:02 PM
I'd love to have him, but I don't see the Astros trading Lidge. He's still pretty cheap and won't be FA eligible for a while.

Exactly. Houston would have to be either:
A) completely nuts
B) absolutely floored by a ridiculous offer that would probably have to include a ML ready closer to replace Lidge

Billy Wagner is much more likely to be moved, but with parity ruling in the NL East, the Phillies might still be close enough to 1st place at the deadline to actually be buyers and not sellers.

The best guy that's the most likely to be moved is probably Guardado, but Seattle is going to insist on a lot.

beckett21
06-03-2005, 05:24 PM

Lip

Here's a link to the article Lip is referencing:

Linky (http://www.sportingnews.com/experts/ken-rosenthal/20050522a.html)

Purely speculative, but the rationale is that Lidge would bring them a king's ransom to help them rebuild.

Frankly, it does make a little bit of sense to me. No sense in building a team around a closer if you have nothing to close. They will probably want a boatload of prospects for him, but I could potentially see where they might at least test the waters as to his trade value. Who knows? :?:

Chisox003
06-03-2005, 05:39 PM
This is the key question for Lidge and to a lesser extent, Wagner. BMac? Sweeney? Anderson?

Personally, I'd rather go for a setup guy. They'll come a ton cheaper, and it's as effective since Hermanson looks like he can handle the closer job. I discount his last outing since he hadn't pitched in what seems like 8 years prior to that, which is a problem for most pitchers.

Factoring in trade cost, I'll take an order of whichever the chef feels is the freshest - the NY Rodriguez, the canadian Frasor, or the PA Torres.

I agree.

The more I think about it the more sense it makes just to go and get a setup guy...

Of course if Wagner would come cheap (Which he wont, the Phillies are not giving up yet, its June) then a setup guy like Torres would be ideal to me...

Again, it all depends on the cost....B Mac, B And, and Gio need to remain Pale Hose

ShoelessJoeS
06-03-2005, 06:07 PM
hopefully kenny can pull a jim hendry and get something for nothing, doubtful though, i think the sox would have to part ways with a top prospect if we were to get a wagner or lidge

rowand33
06-03-2005, 07:54 PM
as I've said, we could get Torres for a bucket of balls.

Lidge or Wagner would cost us. Though I'd pay the price for Lidge.

I think Sweeney or Anderson will be traded this year, whether it's for pen help, 3B, or OF