Daver
11-12-2001, 06:59 PM
About League contraction.

http://www.msnbc.com/news/656577.asp#BODY

Paulwny
11-12-2001, 07:04 PM
LOL

.”
And what was Miller’s first thought on hearing Selig’s announcement of contraction? A mischievous chuckle, then: “It was, ‘Whatever happened to Bud Selig’s $500,000 fine for people who violate the gag rule (on labor-management issues)?’ I assume Bud’s paid the fine, right?”

Jerry_Manuel
11-12-2001, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
And what was Miller’s first thought on hearing Selig’s announcement of contraction? A mischievous chuckle, then: “It was, ‘Whatever happened to Bud Selig’s $500,000 fine for people who violate the gag rule (on labor-management issues)?’ I assume Bud’s paid the fine, right?”

Should Selig have wrote it down on a napkin and passed it around to the media instead?

PaleHoseGeorge
11-12-2001, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
LOL
.” And what was Miller’s first thought on hearing Selig’s announcement of contraction? A mischievous chuckle, then: “It was, ‘Whatever happened to Bud Selig’s $500,000 fine for people who violate the gag rule (on labor-management issues)?’ I assume Bud’s paid the fine, right?”

I'm amazed Marvin Miller is still around. He's been retired, what, 20 years?

He always was good at the public relations end of the game, but his real forte was negotiation. He had a strategy mapped out 4-5 moves ahead, probably learned while a simple lieutenant in the Steelworkers' Union.

I like what John Helyar wrote about the MLBPA under Miller negotiating with Bowie Kuhn and the owners in the late-60's and early-70's: "open borders to a panzer division."

By the time of the Messersmith decision (1975), Miller had already outflanked the owners on every front. They've been paying the price ever since.

Jerry_Manuel
11-12-2001, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
He always was good at the public relations end of the game, but his real forte was negotiation. He had a strategy mapped out 4-5 moves ahead, probably learned while a simple lieutenant in the Steelworkers' Union.

I like what John Helyar wrote about the MLBPA under Miller negotiating with Bowie Kuhn and the owners in the late-60's and early-70's: "open borders to a panzer division."

By the time of the Messersmith decision (1975), Miller had already outflanked the owners on every front. They've been paying the price ever since.

George I'm amazed by your knowledge of history is there anything you don't know?

Daver
11-12-2001, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

George I'm amazed by your knowledge of history is there anything you don't know?

I bet he doesn't know how many teeth a 2 year old female doe has.

Jerry_Manuel
11-12-2001, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by daver

Well I don't think there are that many people who do.

PaleHoseGeorge
11-12-2001, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

I got a head start on you. Some would say, a loooong head start!

:)

PaleHoseGeorge
11-12-2001, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by daver

Err... umm...

I asked Mrs. PHG (who used to date some "Woodsie the Owl" outdoorsmen from Michigan) and even she didn't know the answer.

For me, "roughing it" is staying at a Holiday Inn.

Jerry_Manuel
11-12-2001, 08:05 PM
I got a head start on you. Some would say, a loooong head start!

True, but maybe I should have said I'm surprised that you can remember all these stories and facts. I'm not calling you old and senile, damn I'm backed into a corner here. Well let's just say you have a good memory.

Jerry_Manuel
11-12-2001, 08:09 PM
"Woodsie the Owl"

That sounds like a cartoon character, like Garfield Goose.

Daver
11-12-2001, 08:11 PM

Err... umm...

I asked Mrs. PHG (who used to date some "Woodsie the Owl" outdoorsmen from Michigan) and even she didn't know the answer.

For me, "roughing it" is staying at a Holiday Inn.

And the survey says(ding ding)38.

Perhaps you should consider staying at a Holiday Inn Express?