PDA

View Full Version : His Honor grumbles about Ozzie

Fenway
06-01-2005, 04:24 PM
http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-nws-daleysox01.html

Asked if he was expecting a World Series in Chicago, Daley raised his eyebrows and laughed.

Yet, like a Bridgeport barfly, Daley groused about the game last Friday in Texas, in which the Rangers hit four home runs off rookie Sox pitcher Brandon McCarthy in a 6-2 loss.

"I didn't like what they did to that young pitcher, whatshisname, sending him up against Texas,'' said the mayor qua manager. "That was stupid. That was terrible.''

McCarthy has since been sent back to the minor leagues.

The White Sox declined comment on the mayor's opinion.

Ol' No. 2
06-01-2005, 04:25 PM

Asked if he was expecting a World Series in Chicago, Daley raised his eyebrows and laughed.

Yet, like a Bridgeport barfly, Daley groused about the game last Friday in Texas, in which the Rangers hit four home runs off rookie Sox pitcher Brandon McCarthy in a 6-2 loss.

"I didn't like what they did to that young pitcher, whatshisname, sending him up against Texas,'' said the mayor qua manager. "That was stupid. That was terrible.''

McCarthy has since been sent back to the minor leagues.

The White Sox declined comment on the mayor's opinion.Ozzie would be a terrible mayor, so it's even.

Rocklive99
06-01-2005, 04:26 PM
Ozzie would be a terrible mayor, so it's even.
:roflmao:

tebman
06-01-2005, 04:28 PM
The White Sox declined comment on the mayor's opinion.

I suppose this means Ozzie's dream of getting a trucking contract in Chicago is over.

pudge
06-01-2005, 04:28 PM
Such an insightful statement. Seriously, it must be hard for people who have microphones stuck in their faces to stop themselves from saying something stupid. McCarthy baffled the Rangers in spring training, and while it was only spring training, what the heck is wrong with giving the kid a shot while El Duque was hurt?? What the heck was Ozzie's other option at that time??

Tekijawa
06-01-2005, 04:30 PM
Ozzie would be a terrible mayor, so it's even.

Ozzie provide his Nephew-in-law a high paying Job on his administrations payroll so there are some similarities too! :D:

32nd&Wallace
06-01-2005, 04:31 PM
I always suspected Daley is not that knowledgable about baseball. This comment proves it. He hasn't really followed it that much since the strike. Any good Sox fan would have known McCarthy was the best option since El Duque was hurt and he pitched well against the Cubs.

ja1022
06-01-2005, 04:33 PM

Based on this brilliant insight alone, the Mayor ought to stick to just trying to run the city.

Fenway
06-01-2005, 04:33 PM
An Irish pol can't remember an Irish ballplayers name?

"I didn't like what they did to that young pitcher, whatshisname, sending him up against Texas,'' said the mayor qua manager.

Unregistered
06-01-2005, 04:43 PM
McCarthy baffled the Rangers in spring training... Not really...in his last start of Spring Training, BMac gave up seven earned runs in 3-2/3 innings against them.

dcb33
06-01-2005, 04:45 PM
An Irish pol can't remember an Irish ballplayers name?

He must've been playing the role of Ignorant Baseball Fan to appeal to all his north side, Cubbie-loving constituents.

Chicago83
06-01-2005, 05:03 PM
I liked putting McCarthy up against the cubs and rangers. Let him get a taste of the majors and see what he can do, he's not the kind of guy who is going to all of a sudden lose all his confidence because of one bad outing. It's not like we lost that Rangers game because we had a rookie pitcher, many pitchers would of gotten beat up by Texas on that day. I also think Ozzie should of let him finish that inning in the cub's game. If McCarthy is going to be a big league pitcher then treat him like one.

white sox bill
06-01-2005, 05:07 PM
Maybe some of you can verify this but didn't the Mayor recently move to a north side home?

FARMEO
06-01-2005, 05:14 PM
Daley moved just north of Madison Ave, but he is still living downtown.

white sox bill
06-01-2005, 05:16 PM

So thats considered downtown, not really south side? Isn't the UC 1800 Madison?

PaleHoseGeorge
06-01-2005, 05:25 PM
Duh mayor ought to stick to wrought iron fencing and median planters and leave the serious Sox discussion to those with better knowledge of the team and the sport.

:cool:

:hizzoner
"My kid is going to build an airport in the lake and then build a new Sox ballpark right next to it with a retractible roof and then fill in everything all the way to New Buffalo, Michigan with tract homes because fish don't go to games!"

:reinsy
"That's what I've been telling ya, mayor."

cheeses_h_rice
06-01-2005, 05:29 PM

I thought Daley moved to one of those new McSuburb type developments just south of Roosevelt and east of Michigan.

FARMEO
06-01-2005, 05:32 PM
State and Madison are at ground 0. The UC is @ 1800 West Madison. Daley lives a block or two north of Madison Ave, so technically, he is on the northside of the city -the news did a fluff piece about his new address. I am a student DePaul which is at 300 South State, but I don't say that I go to school on the Southside.

Johnny Mostil
06-01-2005, 05:39 PM
I thought Daley moved to one of those new McSuburb type developments just south of Roosevelt and east of Michigan.

He did, but then, more recently, he downsized and moved north . . .

EDIT: Hey, cheeses, as long as I'm responding to your post . . . what is that picture in your sig?

MisterB
06-01-2005, 05:52 PM
Not really...in his last start of Spring Training, BMac gave up seven earned runs in 3-2/3 innings against them.

And in his other spring start against Texas, he held them to one hit over 4 innings.

Unregistered
06-01-2005, 06:35 PM
And in his other spring start against Texas, he held them to one hit over 4 innings. Understood. Point is, 7ER in 7 2/3 combined innings isn't what I call "baffling" a team in Spring Training.

RedPinStripes
06-01-2005, 09:22 PM
I suppose this means Ozzie's dream of getting a trucking contract in Chicago is over.

Oh no you didn't! :rolling:

Brian26
06-01-2005, 09:29 PM
I always suspected Daley is not that knowledgable about baseball. This comment proves it. He hasn't really followed it that much since the strike. Any good Sox fan would have known McCarthy was the best option since El Duque was hurt and he pitched well against the Cubs.

The fact that he didn't know McCarthy's name was a bit troubling.

Viva Medias B's
06-01-2005, 11:20 PM
I'm surprised this thread has made it this far without getting Roadhoused.

cheeses_h_rice
06-02-2005, 12:04 AM
He did, but then, more recently, he downsized and moved north . . .

EDIT: Hey, cheeses, as long as I'm responding to your post . . . what is that picture in your sig?

It's from this DVD (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002W4P8Y/qid=1117685044/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/102-6789169-9303316?v=glance&s=dvd). David Brent reduced to appearing at nightclubs hilariously dressed up as Austin Powers.

Hendu
06-02-2005, 12:07 AM

I'm sure a nice donation to the Mayor's campaign fund will smoothe things over.

Hendu
06-02-2005, 12:09 AM
State and Madison are at ground 0. The UC is @ 1800 West Madison. Daley lives a block or two north of Madison Ave, so technically, he is on the northside of the city -the news did a fluff piece about his new address. I am a student DePaul which is at 300 South State, but I don't say that I go to school on the Southside.

He moved into the brand new high-rise just across Michigan Ave from Millenium Park...I think the name of the bldg. is Heritage Plaza.

Nellie_Fox
06-02-2005, 01:39 AM
By the way, in Chicago, it's not "His Honor." It's "Hizzoner."

Viva Medias B's
06-02-2005, 08:34 AM
By the way, in Chicago, it's not "His Honor." It's "Hizzoner."

And he is not "The Mayor," he is "Da Mare."

swanson24
06-02-2005, 04:06 PM
Is it just me or does this conversation seem a little bizarre. It's almost as if it has more to do with politics than it does baseball. If people want to laugh or poke fun at the White Sox we should let them. Most people who visit this great website are White Sox fans if Daley wants to crack jokes about the Sox or whoever then let them. Last time I checked the White Sox don't play any games against Mayor Daley. This photo of Arnold from Different Strokes says all that needs to be said.

:whocares

Fenway
06-02-2005, 04:12 PM
Today's installment

Guillen could use a little help from Daley (http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-ssep02.html)

So Guillen was given the opportunity to criticize the mayor. ''Well there is a thing I would say to the mayor,'' Guillen said, breaking out into a laugh. ''I would say I've been in this country for 25 years and I don't have American citizenship. He should help me do that. I'll criticize him because they don't give me American citizenship.''

Johnny Mostil
06-02-2005, 05:19 PM
It's from this DVD (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002W4P8Y/qid=1117685044/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/102-6789169-9303316?v=glance&s=dvd). David Brent reduced to appearing at nightclubs hilariously dressed up as Austin Powers.

Thanks. I figured it had to do something with Austin Powers, but didn't know what. (What I don't know about pop culture fills encyclopedias . . . )