PDA

View Full Version : 8th Inning Happenings?

TheOldRoman
06-01-2005, 03:07 AM
I went to the game on Tuesday night, and it was a great win. There was a point in the 8th inning during Konerko's at bat when play stopped. The pitcher started to walk towards home, and the ump motioned for him to get back on the mound. Then Sciocia came out and argued with the plate ump for a few minutes. What exactly happened? Why were the Angels pissed?

BigEdWalsh
06-01-2005, 03:23 AM
The umpire called an automatic ball because the Angels pitcher went to his mouth. :tongue:

mike squires
06-01-2005, 08:36 AM
It was weird, the ump was looking toward the dugout as if he was listening to Ozzie or something and as he turned his head back to the mound he called the ball. I don't think I've ever seen that before. I didn't like how the umpire starting pointing toaward the mound. Umps HATE it when they are shown up.

Hangar18
06-01-2005, 08:50 AM
It was weird, the ump was looking toward the dugout as if he was listening to Ozzie or something and as he turned his head back to the mound he called the ball. I don't think I've ever seen that before. I didn't like how the umpire starting pointing toaward the mound. Umps HATE it when they are shown up.

I think Konerko initially complained that the pitcher was going to his mouth.
So when the ump looked at the pitcher, he did it again, and the Ump busted him red-handed and called the ball. The pitcher got mad and started towards home, when Scioscia got involved. They started argueing and the Ump told him to cool it, he explained the SOX complained about Going to the Mouth, the ump saw him do it, and warned him. He told him to go sit his butt back down on the bench, and Scioscia did. That was the end of that. Konerko popped out afterwards

Palehose13
06-01-2005, 09:04 AM
I think Konerko initially complained that the pitcher was going to his mouth.
So when the ump looked at the pitcher, he did it again, and the Ump busted him red-handed and called the ball. The pitcher got mad and started towards home, when Scioscia got involved. They started argueing and the Ump told him to cool it, he explained the SOX complained about Going to the Mouth, the ump saw him do it, and warned him. He told him to go sit his butt back down on the bench, and Scioscia did. That was the end of that. Konerko popped out afterwards

How did you get all that detail, Henry? Do you have super-sonic hearing?

He gone
06-01-2005, 09:09 AM
I went to the game on Tuesday night, and it was a great win.

I was there too. Sec. 114. I think that might have rattled Donnelly. I told my daughter when Dye came up in the ninth that he was going to hit a homer to end it. It's about time I was right :bandance:

http://img251.echo.cx/img251/7580/0527050090vg.jpg

Rocklive99
06-01-2005, 11:14 AM
Yeah, that's one of those things where I would've been mad if it happened to us. I didn't see it so I don't know how it looked, by El Duque blows on his hand before like every pitch, and I've seen a lot go to their mouth, but have never seen that call

CHISOXFAN13
06-01-2005, 11:17 AM
This is actually the second time it's happened this season.

My mind is drawing a blank right now, but maybe someone can help me out with the opposing team in the first occurrence.

LVSoxFan
06-01-2005, 11:22 AM
I saw that too and wondered.

What do you mean by "went to their mouth"?!?

bluestar
06-01-2005, 11:44 AM
What do you mean by "went to their mouth"?!?

Licking their fingers or blowing into their hand.

Edit: it is generally only called if the player goes directly from the mouth to the ball, and only if the umpire has not expressly allowed it due to conditions (i.e. cold temperatures).

DaleJRFan
06-01-2005, 12:00 PM
How did you get all that detail, Henry? Do you have super-sonic hearing?

I could read the Umps lips too.. it was a great exchange to watch. He was VERY animated.

NUCatsFan
06-01-2005, 12:08 PM
This is actually the second time it's happened this season.

My mind is drawing a blank right now, but maybe someone can help me out with the opposing team in the first occurrence.

I actually heard about this on the radio. I think the first occurrance was because the pitcher was taking too long to throw. The pitcher has 45 seconds between pitches (I don't know the exact rule for this) and if you take too long, the ump can call the automatic ball. Don't remember which series it was, but I do remember hearing about it.

bluestar
06-01-2005, 12:46 PM
I actually heard about this on the radio. I think the first occurrance was because the pitcher was taking too long to throw. The pitcher has 45 seconds between pitches (I don't know the exact rule for this) and if you take too long, the ump can call the automatic ball. Don't remember which series it was, but I do remember hearing about it.

Actually, the rules only give the pitcher 20 seconds to throw a pitch unless there is a runner on base (in which case, there is no time limit).

From the Official MLB Rules:

When the bases are unoccupied, the pitcher shall deliver the ball to the batter within 20 seconds after he receives the ball. Each time the pitcher delays the game by violating this rule, the umpire shall call "Ball." The intent of this rule is to avoid unnecessary delays. The umpire shall insist that the catcher return the ball promptly to the pitcher, and that the pitcher take his position on the rubber promptly. Obvious delay by the pitcher should instantly be penalized by the umpire.

And as for the rules about going to the mouth:

The pitcher shall not_ (a) (1) Bring his pitching hand in contact with his mouth or lips while in the 18 foot circle surrounding the pitching rubber. EXCEPTION: Provided it is agreed to by both managers, the umpire prior to the start of a game played in cold weather, may permit the pitcher to blow on his hand. PENALTY: For violation of this part of this rule the umpires shall immediately call a ball.