PDA

View Full Version : When will the All-Star game stop affecting the WS?

Optipessimism
06-01-2005, 12:07 AM
Does anyone know? It's happening again this year! Considering how so much is already wrong with the way that selections are made, the All Star game has really lost any of the value it ever had IMO. If anything, I think the All Star game would be better off dead, but instead of doing anything to minimize its significance, it is made out to be the most important pre-October game of the year. Why risk robbing WS home field advantage from the team that has earned it? Wasn't there enough negative backlash about this the first time it came around? Why continue? Please, someone tell Selig this is a terrible idea. Then, hit him over the head with a hammer. Repeatedly.

On a side note, if any of you haven't had a chance to go to Miller Park, go. Before you go inside walk around the sidewalk and you'll find an amazing Selig plaque in the ground. For whatever reason, it seems to miraculously attract loogies and middle fingers.

MUsoxfan
06-01-2005, 12:09 AM
There's no timeframe on the ASG affecting the WS to expire. One year down the line they may decide it's a bad idea.

chisoxmike
06-01-2005, 12:13 AM
Does anyone know? It's happening again this year! Considering how so much is already wrong with the way that selections are made, the All Star game has really lost any of the value it ever had IMO. If anything, I think the All Star game would be better off dead, but instead of doing anything to minimize its significance, it is made out to be the most important pre-October game of the year. Why risk robbing WS home field advantage from the team that has earned it? Wasn't there enough negative backlash about this the first time it came around? Why continue? Please, someone tell Selig this is a terrible idea. Then, hit him over the head with a hammer. Repeatedly.

On a side note, if any of you haven't had a chance to go to Miller Park, go. Before you go inside walk around the sidewalk and you'll find an amazing Selig plaque in the ground. For whatever reason, it seems to miraculously attract loogies and middle fingers.

The year the AL wins and the Sox go to the World Series

Parrothead
06-01-2005, 12:15 AM

I actually like the idea better than alternating every year. It should be the team with the better record gets home field.

C-Dawg
06-01-2005, 06:55 AM
Bud Selig got a lot of backlash due to his infamous tie-game at Milwaukee a few years ago; I would suspect he tried to redeem himself by making the All-Star Game count for something.

I agree the AS game is really a meaningless popularity contest and shouldn't be used to determine anything. Football's All-Pro game doesn't have any signifigance, does it?

Spicoli
06-01-2005, 08:40 AM
The AS Game deciding anything pertaining to the actual season and post-season is a farce. MLB must stop this sham publicity stunt immediately. It is all for the purposes of generating advertising dollars. They think that making the game of some value--instead of mere entertainment value--will increase viewership and hence the amount they can charge for advertising, etc. Though this might be correct on one hand, it completely mocks the integrity of the game. For once I'd like to see MLB management make a decision based on preserving the integrity of the game itself as opposed to creating new ways of increasing profit.

fusillirob1983
06-01-2005, 11:23 AM
If they're going to have the All-Star game mean something in terms of World Series home field advantage, then they have to stop allowing fans to vote. It's not fair to guys on teams that have a chance of getting to the World Series to have a bad player get voted into a starting position.

Hangar18
06-01-2005, 11:33 AM
When Baseball gets a REAL, and IMPARTIAL commissioner, is when the AS Game
stops affecting the WS.

ma_deuce
06-01-2005, 11:38 AM
If they're going to have the All-Star game mean something in terms of World Series home field advantage, then they have to stop allowing fans to vote. It's not fair to guys on teams that have a chance of getting to the World Series to have a bad player get voted into a starting position.

I'm not as much worried about a "bad player" coming in as I am of a "popular, but not the best player." You don't see too many crummy players start the All Star game, but you rarely ever see the best players do so.

Deuce

WinningUgly!
06-01-2005, 11:42 AM
I know the Red Sox gave out 500+ WS rings. Shouldn't they have also awarded the members of the 2004 AL All Star squad for wrapping up the WS homefield advantage for them, with rings?

ma_deuce
06-01-2005, 12:00 PM
When Baseball gets a REAL, and IMPARTIAL commissioner, is when the AS Game stops affecting the WS.

Yeah, like the good ole days of Kenesaw Mountain Landis. Now that was a real and impartial commissioner!

http://www.website.mlb.com/mlb/photo/ph_hist_comm_mug_landis.jpg

"I brought integrity back to baseball by banning players that were acquited of any crimes in my courtroom, and by keeping colored folk out of the majors till my dying day."

JRIG
06-01-2005, 01:02 PM
Who cares? Before the All-Star Game was brought into play, home field advantage alternated from year to year. This is just as random.

If you think the team with the best record should have HFA, well, that's an idea. But this format is no worse than the previous one.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-01-2005, 01:13 PM
Who cares? Before the All-Star Game was brought into play, home field advantage alternated from year to year. This is just as random.

If you think the team with the best record should have HFA, well, that's an idea. But this format is no worse than the previous one.

Best-record is random because there is absolutely NO CORRELATION between best record in the N.L. vs. best record in the A.L. Each league plays completely different schedules!

For example, awarding the Sox home-field over the Padres based on W-L record might just as well be based on the Bears' record being better than the Chargers'. It's total bull****.

JRIG
06-01-2005, 01:15 PM
Best-record is random because there is absolutely NO CORRELATION between best record in the N.L. vs. best record in the A.L. Each league plays completely different schedules!

For example, awarding the Sox home-field over the Padres based on W-L record might just as well be based on the Bears' record being better than the Chargers'. It's total bull****.

Touche.

And with teams playing different slates during interleague play it makes the schedules even tougher to compare.

The Racehorse
06-01-2005, 01:19 PM
Not soon enough.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-01-2005, 01:20 PM
Touche.

And with teams playing different slates during interleague play it makes the schedules even tougher to compare.

Yep. It's just one more example of how dumb the average American sports fan has become thanks 100 percent to the NFL and the mountains of propaganda spoon-fed to us for 40+ years by their hired shills at ABC/ESPN, NBC, CBS, and Fox.

We're all idiots as far as they're concerned. Now let's go back to check those updated wild-card standings -- just as soon as we're done dissecting Round 10 picks of the college draft!!!

fledgedrallycap
06-01-2005, 01:34 PM
I agree the AS game is really a meaningless popularity contest and shouldn't be used to determine anything. Football's All-Pro game doesn't have any signifigance, does it?

No other of the major sport can be compared to baseball in terms of the competition level in exhibition games. Have you watched the Pro-Bowl? It's a flag football game out there, same goes for hockey and basketball is a shootout between the guards.

Baseball's All-Star Game is as close to premium compeition as you can get, arguing whether it's a good idea based on the comparison to football isn't valid.

OzzieBall2005
06-01-2005, 07:07 PM
I agree that having the AS game effect is dumb for the lack of better words, but I have always had an idea where they could tweek the system and would be a more direct corilation on what the better league in fact is. If they are going to continue using the AS game to influence home field advantage, they might as well use Interleague play and best overall record, if need be. Here me out......say the AL wins the AS game as well as the overall Interleague record between the two leagues, then the AL team would get the advantage due to being in the "better league" that year. Ideally, if the two leagues split the AS game and Interleague record it would corilate to evened out leagues, then they could use overall records of the two teams because of the two leagues appearing equal due to the split.

I'm a new guy....please don't rip me a new one if you disagree. This is just a better situation if they HAD to continue having the AS game effect home field advantage. The absolute best thing for the all star game is to be what it used be.....just a game played for the pride of the league they play in.