PDA

View Full Version : The Mayor

bludupree
05-31-2005, 09:18 PM
Hawk started calling Pods the mayor because of an email someone wrote. The guy writing the email claimed podsednik was Russian for mayor. I couldn't find that translation anywhere, however I kind of like the name. You think the name will stick?

shoota
05-31-2005, 09:25 PM
Hawk started calling Pods the mayor because of an email someone wrote. The guy writing the email claimed podsednik was Russian for mayor. I couldn't find that translation anywhere, however I kind of like the name. You think the name will stick?

I heard Hawk call Podsednik the Mayor early in the game. I immediately thought it was a bad nickname. Then he explained the Russian meaning and it became slightly better. I still don't like it because Chicago already has a mayor: Fred Hoiburg. :D:

SouthSide4Life
05-31-2005, 09:54 PM
I heard Hawk call Podsednik the Mayor early in the game. I immediately thought it was a bad nickname. Then he explained the Russian meaning and it became slightly better. I still don't like it because Chicago already has a mayor: Fred Hoiburg. :D:i noticed the exact same thing. you cant take it away. once a nickname always a nickname. Pods will do just fine.

whitesoxfan
05-31-2005, 10:04 PM
yeah i thought of Hoiberg too when i heard him call Pods, "The Mayor." I don't like it, I also think Pods is alright.

Johnny Mostil
05-31-2005, 10:16 PM

Here's what I get from translate.ru for "mayor":

мэр

I really can't read cyrillic characters, but it looks like it's about the same pronounciation we have . . .

wildcat
05-31-2005, 10:34 PM
Here's what I get from translate.ru for "mayor":

мэр

I really can't read cyrillic characters, but it looks like it's about the same pronounciation we have . . .

The pronunciation is something like "mer." I haven't been able to find podsednik in any of my Russian dictionaries, but it may be an obsolete term, as they said that the person writing the email was researching Russian history and came across the term. I work in a Slavic language department, so I'll check around tomorrow and try to verify.

SouthSide4Life
05-31-2005, 10:39 PM
lets not let this one get outta proportion, or else this thread will be labeled. After all who wants~"This thread to suck"~?

Johnny Mostil
05-31-2005, 10:41 PM
lets not let this one get outta proportion, or else this thread will be labeled. After all who wants~"This thread to suck"~?

In English or Russian?

chisoxmike
05-31-2005, 10:43 PM
I like it..

"Mer Podsednik"

Viva Medias B's
05-31-2005, 10:56 PM
Hasn't Hawk call Mean Joe Groove (sp?) "the mayor"?

Of course, Chicago's No. 1 White Sox fan is "da mare."

ChiSox14305635
05-31-2005, 10:58 PM
Somewhere, Sean Casey plots his revenge for nickname theft.

soxfan123
05-31-2005, 11:00 PM
During the broadcast on Tuesday, Hawk brought up an email concerning Scotty's nickname. It said that in a different language, "Podsednik" means "mayor", which I thought would go well with Scotty as did Hawk. What do you think of this nickname, "The Mayor"?

iamkoza
05-31-2005, 11:01 PM
i hope that doesnt stick, cause Fred Hoiberg is the only mayor in professional psorts

So.ILSoxFan
05-31-2005, 11:03 PM
Sorry, some one beat you to it!:smile:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=51251

-JB

MisterB
05-31-2005, 11:19 PM
The only words close to 'Podsednik' I found in my Russian dictionary were:

podsvetchnik - candlestick
podsnezhnik - snowflake
podsolnetchnik - sunflower

Of the 3, I'd go with snowflake. :D:

boiler up
05-31-2005, 11:28 PM
i just got off aim with my friend who is from the ukrane and is fluent in russian

he said this:

thefalloftom (11:25:30 PM): do you know what podsednik means in russian
thefalloftom (11:25:37 PM): someone told me it means "the mayor"
thefalloftom (11:25:39 PM): is that true
kgbkomrad (11:25:48 PM): not even close
thefalloftom (11:26:09 PM): haha
thefalloftom (11:26:11 PM): does it mean anything
kgbkomrad (11:26:38 PM): it might be a derogatory comment, but i've never heard of it
kgbkomrad (11:29:17 PM): wow, i really don't think it means the mayor,
kgbkomrad (11:30:13 PM): the sox should have prolly picked up a russian/english dictionary

FarWestChicago
05-31-2005, 11:37 PM
During the broadcast on Tuesday, Hawk brought up an email concerning Scotty's nickname. It said that in a different language, "Podsednik" means "mayor", which I thought would go well with Scotty as did Hawk. What do you think of this nickname, "The Mayor"?FFS, can anybody around here read the goddamned board before posting their "breaking news", already been posted threads? :rolleyes:

Banix12
05-31-2005, 11:52 PM
Somewhere, Sean Casey plots his revenge for nickname theft.

I was thinking that all night. Well that means that Sean Casey can never be traded to Chicago since a city can't have two mayors.

Nellie_Fox
06-01-2005, 12:22 AM
However, as has been pointed out, Podsednick does not mean mayor in Russian (the Alta Vista translator also says "mayor" is "мэр". Therefore, calling him mayor makes no sense.

nasox
06-01-2005, 12:44 AM
However, as has been pointed out, Podsednick does not mean mayor in Russian (the Alta Vista translator also says "mayor" is "мэр". Therefore, calling him mayor makes no sense.

And this shows how Hawk is going crazy and needs to be replaced.

Whitesox029
06-01-2005, 01:08 AM
My only question is, what do you get when you translate Pierzynski from Polish?:D:

batmanZoSo
06-01-2005, 01:38 AM
Sirotka means orphan in Polish I believe. It should mean "bum flipper."

TomParrish79
06-01-2005, 03:03 AM
lol this thread has me rolling

when I hear the nickname The Mayor I think Sean Casey.

Thats all I gotta say.

Mr. White Sox
06-01-2005, 03:39 AM
being the crazy information seeker that I am, I searched for the meaning of Podsednik, and found this information:
PODSEDEK or PODSEDNIK (in German Untersasser or Podsedker). Peasant, his social-economical status was between farmer and cottager. He hired plot by bigger farmer, unlike the farmers who were renters of the feudal landlords. Podsednik had up to 10 acres of arable fields, whereas big farmers, owned about 40 acres, i.e. +4x more.
doesn't make sense, right? Well, the definition below it concerns the name Rychtar, which often translates to "judge" or "mayor." ding ding! So, something translates to mayor, and it's near Podsednik on the web page, but it's definitely not Podsednik.
Here's the link, just search for Podsednik and look a few lines down:
http://kostohryz.tripod.com/genealogy/background.html
Yep, quality post right there.

nasox
06-01-2005, 04:21 AM
being the crazy information seeker that I am, I searched for the meaning of Podsednik, and found this information:
PODSEDEK or PODSEDNIK (in German Untersasser or Podsedker). Peasant, his social-economical status was between farmer and cottager. He hired plot by bigger farmer, unlike the farmers who were renters of the feudal landlords. Podsednik had up to 10 acres of arable fields, whereas big farmers, owned about 40 acres, i.e. +4x more.
doesn't make sense, right? Well, the definition below it concerns the name Rychtar, which often translates to "judge" or "mayor." ding ding! So, something translates to mayor, and it's near Podsednik on the web page, but it's definitely not Podsednik.
Here's the link, just search for Podsednik and look a few lines down:
http://kostohryz.tripod.com/genealogy/background.html
Yep, quality post right there.

Nice post. Teal used correctly and everything. And at 2 in the morning no less. Insomnia on the net. Beautiful.

Anyway, I still don't know if the mayor is fitting for Pods. I don't think it should be used, but if thats what Hawk is calling him, so be it.

Iguana775
06-01-2005, 07:21 AM
At first i thought you were talking about Fred Hoiberg. He is (or was) the mayor of his home town.

mikehuff
06-01-2005, 07:22 AM
Yeah, I think this guy who sent in the email just jumped the gun or something.
I also found "МЭР" as the translation for mayor.

This dude was probably reading through a textbook and saw the name Podsednik and some reference to that guy being a mayor or something and quickly sent in an email to Hawk. I was thinking about that while it was being read. You would think they would try to verify that first.
Anyway, Hawk totally loved it. It'll probably stick anyway.

Frank the Tank
06-01-2005, 08:07 AM
I hope Hawk can come up with a better nickname.

p.s. I am almost 100% sure Scotty Pods is Polish

Baby Fisk
06-01-2005, 08:13 AM
Why was Warren Newsome called the Deacon? Does Hawk arbitrarily assign vocations to people in the imaginary game of "our town" in his mind? :?:

34 Inch Stick
06-01-2005, 08:51 AM
I think Warren was a deacon of some church.

I think the best way to translate the name would be to first find out Podsednik's ethnicity. Similar words can mean different things in different languages.

wildcat
06-01-2005, 08:55 AM
Podsednik is definitely a Czech name, but I haven't been able to find a definition for it in Czech either.

Johnny Mostil
06-01-2005, 09:40 AM
Podsednik is definitely a Czech name, but I haven't been able to find a definition for it in Czech either.

First link I found from ask.com when asking "what is translation of podsednik":

http://newsarch.rootsweb.com/th/read/GEN-DE/1997-11/0880082050

Of course, as a linguist, I sometimes make a good Sox fan . . .

Baby Fisk
06-01-2005, 10:31 AM
First link I found from ask.com when asking "what is translation of podsednik":

http://newsarch.rootsweb.com/th/read/GEN-DE/1997-11/0880082050

Of course, as a linguist, I sometimes make a good Sox fan . . .
The prefix "pod" translates to "under" in some slavic languages. The suffix "nik" can refer to an individual, so the germanic reference to this name meaning "underling" or some individual of lower rank in society is prolly correct.

Where Hawk gets "mayor" from is unknown... unless it's a brilliant ironic twist on slavic etymology by Mr. Ken Harrelson, who unbeknownst to all of us is a hobby linguist.

:hawk
"Da!"

Johnny Mostil
06-01-2005, 11:13 AM
Where Hawk gets "mayor" from is unknown... unless it's a brilliant ironic twist on slavic etymology by Mr. Ken Harrelson, who unbeknownst to all of us is a hobby linguist.

"Da!"

The Moe Berg of the broadcast booth . . .

EastCoastSoxFan
06-01-2005, 11:21 AM
The Moe Berg of the broadcast booth . . .

Yeah, that eyepatch is really a camera to take reconaissance pictures for the CIA during the games...

DaleJRFan
06-01-2005, 11:57 AM
Just asked my Russian friend who moved here when she was 16...

DaleJrFan: hey, I have a Russian question
commieb8tch: yeah?
DaleJrFan: does Podsednik translate to anything in the Russian language?
commieb8tch: no
DaleJrFan: does it mean anything?
commieb8tch: not really, no

Guess we gotta find a few nickname.

wildcat
06-01-2005, 12:18 PM
Ok, I have the official word from the Slavic department at the U of
Chicago... Podsednik is a Czech name, literally meaning "the one who sits
under the other." It was used to refer to a social status just below
farmer. In other words, a farmer would lease out a bit of land to a
podsednik to farm. The English equivalent is "crofter." Such a person would never have had the social standing to become mayor anywhere.

I was listening to the broadcast last night, and Hawk said that someone had emailed saying that they came across the word when studying Russian history. The only thing I can figure is that maybe someone with the name Podsednik was once a mayor in Russia?

Has anyone emailed Hawk and DJ to clear up the confusion?

nebraskasox
06-01-2005, 03:05 PM
Ok, I have the official word from the Slavic department at the U of
Chicago... Podsednik is a Czech name, literally meaning "the one who sits
under the other."

Maybe this is a reference to sliding in under the tag for a SB?

tebman
06-01-2005, 03:11 PM

"Da!"

:rolling: LMAO!

jackbrohamer
06-01-2005, 03:26 PM
Podsednik is a Czech name, literally meaning "the one who sits
under the other."

Now there's a quality nickname!

chisox
06-01-2005, 03:32 PM
hoiberg is the mayor. podesdnik is pods.