PDA

View Full Version : Get off Juan.

Jurr
05-31-2005, 09:11 PM
I know that many of the fans on this board are pretty down on Juan Uribe, due to the fact that he's a befuddling streak hitter. You don't get off the island (DR) unless you swing, and Juan's a perfect example of it.

However, there is NO reason to replace Juan or put him on the bench. He has gold glove potential, and he makes plays that most shortstops couldn't come close to making. When you have a defensive presence like that on your roster, you learn to live with slumps.

When Juan is hitting, he is electric. Base hits, homeruns, sac flies...he can do it all. Juan's so aggressive at the plate, and he can go into funks, but that is very liveable out of your 9 hole.

In closing, Juan Uribe, though his hitting is sometimes frustrating, is an enormous asset to this club, ESPECIALLY how good he is for his price tag.

soltrain21
05-31-2005, 09:15 PM
I have a research paper due, I think I am going to hand this in.

I agree, though. I love Juan and his defense is stellar. He will come around and when he gets hot...OH BOY!

patbooyah
06-01-2005, 01:04 AM
juan was amazing tonight. frankly, i love him even more ever since he tricked a certain cubbies first baseman. and when he is hot, as he is now, there is nobody i would rather have at the plate.

edit- granted, he did leave four on base tonight, but i still like him. :cool:

elrod
06-01-2005, 01:08 AM
I have a research paper due, I think I am going to hand this in.

Only four paragraphs though. Missing one!

havelj
06-01-2005, 01:11 AM
Juan is batting about .375 in the last 7 games.

TaylorStSox
06-01-2005, 01:14 AM
There's alot of haters on this site. But, one guy that rightfully gets a pass is Uribe. I want an 8/9 hitter to be agressive and play a damn good SS. He's probably my favorite player on this team.

I want Aaron Miles back. :redneck

daslobo
06-01-2005, 10:45 AM
When he's on he's ridiculous. When he's not he's a 9 hitter. I can live with that. I keep this guy for the duration unless you can pull off an insane trade with him in the package for Tejada.

kevingrt
06-01-2005, 10:48 AM
Uribe's been everything we expected and much, much more. His defense is beyond stellar and he gets timely hits. We knew coming in he would be a streaky hitter and go hot and cold. We weren't expecting a Miguel Tejada or Alex Rodriguez when we got this kid for Aaron Miles. I am perfectly fine with Juan and love his attitude towards the game. You won't find many better nine hitters in the game of baseball. You won't find many people with a stronger arm in the infield either.

dcb33
06-01-2005, 10:57 AM
Only four paragraphs though. Missing one!

Those were pretty lean paragrahps.

AntoneSmith2
06-01-2005, 11:00 AM
Uribe is quality. He will come around no doubt.

mweflen
06-01-2005, 11:46 AM
Uribe 'da man.

"When I see Fassboll, I heet it."

I'll take streaks that end at around a .270 season with good D over Jose's 25 dingers and .220.

daveeym
06-01-2005, 11:52 AM
There's alot of haters on this site. But, one guy that rightfully gets a pass is Uribe. I want an 8/9 hitter to be agressive and play a damn good SS. He's probably my favorite player on this team.

I want Aaron Miles back. :redneck He gets a pass because that's what he's always been and that's what his expectations are. Everyone HOPES he would do better but he's not way below expectations.

nasox
06-01-2005, 12:05 PM
Those were pretty lean paragrahps.

Newspaper paragraphs. It'd work if he was a journalist

BaseballTonyght
06-01-2005, 12:12 PM
Juan should be the least of any Sox fan's worries. He's solid defensively and offensively, and at 25 years old, he's only going to get better.

JRIG
06-01-2005, 12:13 PM
Juan should be the least of any Sox fan's worries. He's solid defensively and offensively, and at 25 years old, he's only going to get better.

Somebody tell Joe Crede this is how things are supposed to work.

BaseballTonyght
06-01-2005, 12:33 PM
Somebody tell Joe Crede this is how things are supposed to work.

:hijacked: The Crede hating knows no bounds.

Apples to oranges at this point my friend.

Frater Perdurabo
06-01-2005, 01:32 PM
IMHO, the Sox can afford to carry an inconsistent/streaky shortstop and third baseman who are great with the glove if they only need to be good enough to hit at the bottom of the order.

If both Crede and Uribe were ham-fisted fielders, the situation would be entirely different. But both of them are great fielders. Plus, both hit more than 20 homers last year. Name another team with that kind of pop at the bottom of their lineup. Moreover, Uribe's proven his able to hit a sac fly and Crede has come up with the clutch homer or double on more than one occasion.

If the middle of the order - particularly the cleanup hitter - was producing as it should, Crede's and Uribe's flaws would be less exposed.

maurice
06-01-2005, 01:37 PM
Uribe is an outstanding defender at one of the two most important defensive positions on the field. He stays hot for long stretches and, even when he's cold, he can still get a bunt down or hit a sac fly. Finally, he's making much less than $8.75 million this year.

The combination of these factors render him immune to criticism from me.

Frater Perdurabo
06-01-2005, 01:39 PM
Finally, he's making much less than $8.75 million this year.

:rolling:

Well said! There certainly are "bigger" targets for derision in the Sox infield.

bennyw41
06-01-2005, 01:42 PM
I'll take streaks that end at around a .270 season with good D over Jose's 25 dingers and .220.

Someone's feeling generous....220???

nebraskasox
06-01-2005, 01:44 PM
A lot of fans are emotional about their team, myself included. All die hard fans get frustrated when their team or some of its players are in a slump. Some choose to vent on message boards when this happens.

We have several streaky players on this team: Uribe, Konerko, Crede, Everett and apparently Dye. When they're all in a slump, it's pretty depressing and frustrating.

It's nice to see Juan showing signs of life. We all remember how he carried this team the first part of last year, then went into hiding, then got hot again. If he and some of the others mentioned above can get hot, this team will go on a tear where we can win a lot of games by several runs, not just the one run nail biters that have marked so many of our games this year.

Uribe should play like he did last year with hot and cold streaks at the plate and solid D. I would like to see Uribe shorten his swing though. That might help him be more consistent. But, he might be the type of hitter who just naturally swings at a lot of balls out of the strike zone. When he's on, he can tomahawk the high pitch and golf the low one. When he's not, he looks bad swinging at pitches that look unhittable.

Overall Juan has helped this team win and I agree with the post - let's show the man some support!