PDA

View Full Version : Lead the team in walks?

HomerCoach
05-31-2005, 09:01 PM
Frank?

SoxFan76
05-31-2005, 09:13 PM
We got a vote for each, lol.

Konerko, despite his low avg, has a decent OBP. He is quietly leading this tema in walks, and I believe he's among the league leaders.

PAPChiSox729
05-31-2005, 09:18 PM
Frank will make it close since he is a walking machine. I think Konerko will pull it out in the end, though.

Frater Perdurabo
06-01-2005, 08:45 AM
I'm voting for Frank. When he's in the lineup, he's going to take his walks, period. Pitchers are NOT going to want to walk Konerko right after walking Frank (unless they want to go for the triple play....). Konerko frequently will bat with the bases loaded. So, opposing teams are going to pitch to Konerko. They won't want to walk in a run when they have a reasonably good chance of induding a double play. To be fair, Paulie will hit his share of home runs and RBI singles and doubles as well.

Bottom line is Frank will take his walks and Konerko will walk far less frequently as a result.

Palehose13
06-01-2005, 08:50 AM
I voted for Podsednik. I don't see Konerko continuing to walk, especially after Frank gets back. Frank is already down by almost 30...that's tough to make up. Podsednik knows that his job is to get on base...any way possible. I think he'll capture and keep the lead.

Frater Perdurabo
06-01-2005, 09:04 AM
I voted for Podsednik. I don't see Konerko continuing to walk, especially after Frank gets back. Frank is already down by almost 30...that's tough to make up. Podsednik knows that his job is to get on base...any way possible. I think he'll capture and keep the lead.

I almost voted for Pods as well. I think he knows his role on the team and will continue to try to coax the walk. However, I think Frank's ability to walk combined with Pods ability to wreak havoc on the basepaths combined with Iguchi's ability to move him over will force pitchers to pitch to him.

If Pods knows pitchers are throwing him more strikes to avoid walking him, he'll know to swing at good pitches. When this happens, he'll get a lot more hits and generate a higher batting average. His OBP will either stay the same or increase as a result. At that point, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets more extra base hits because infielders are playing him in, trying to defend the bunt. He has the speed to turn singles into doubles and doubles into triples as well. Also, Pods will generate more RBI when Crede and/or Uribe are on base. His value to the team will increase exponentially as a result.

:bandance:

Palehose13
06-01-2005, 09:11 AM
I almost voted for Pods as well. I think he knows his role on the team and will continue to try to coax the walk. However, I think Frank's ability to walk combined with Pods ability to wreak havoc on the basepaths combined with Iguchi's ability to move him over will force pitchers to pitch to him.

If Pods knows pitchers are throwing him more strikes to avoid walking him, he'll know to swing at good pitches. When this happens, he'll get a lot more hits and generate a higher batting average. His OBP will either stay the same or increase as a result. At that point, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets more extra base hits because infielders are playing him in, trying to defend the bunt. He has the speed to turn singles into doubles and doubles into triples as well. Also, Pods will generate more RBI when Crede and/or Uribe are on base. His value to the team will increase exponentially as a result.

:bandance:

:hawk
"I looooove it when you analyze!"