PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie Informer

veeter
05-31-2005, 07:35 PM
Not sure if this is the right forum but what person or people would let Ozzie know that he was aired out by Brantley yesterday. We all know what was said then followed up by sportscenter's 5 minute "Ozzie's a dope" segment. I think that if Ozzie was played the tape he'd want blood. I'd love to see him call out names of espn retards. At the same time it would be totally unprofessional but I want these jags addressed.

nasox
05-31-2005, 07:36 PM
Huh? Am I missing something?:?:

illinibk
05-31-2005, 07:40 PM
Huh? Am I missing something?:?:
Add me to that list. I have no idea what's going on.

PAPChiSox729
05-31-2005, 07:42 PM
Not sure if this is the right forum but what person or people would let Ozzie know that he was aired out by Brantley yesterday. We all know what was said then followed up by sportscenter's 5 minute "Ozzie's a dope" segment. I think that if Ozzie was played the tape he'd want blood. I'd love to see him call out names of espn retards. At the same time it would be totally unprofessional but I want these jags addressed.

I don't know if that would be the brightest idea. I am sure that Ozzie would want to go after some of those 'experts' at ESPN, but doing this would just add fuel to their fire. And I'm sure ESPN would stand by their guys and become as Anti-Sox as ever (not saying they were ever pro-Sox to begin with). Then again, I don't think Ozzie really cares about what the media thinks of him. Ozzie will do whatever he wants. Go for it, Ozzie! Screw the media, who cares about them anyways?

Spicoli
05-31-2005, 07:44 PM
:ozzie
Huh? Man, what you talkin 'bout?

veeter
05-31-2005, 07:44 PM
espn was doing a broadcast of the Sox game yesterday also. Jeff Brantley, Stone and a play by play guy were announcing. During the ugly top of the ninth Brantley was saying how Ozzie completely mismanaging the inning. He rode him the whole time how Hermanson should be out there etc. It was typically condescending.

JDsDirtySox
05-31-2005, 07:46 PM
Jeff Brantley was part of ESPN's National Broadcast of yesterdays game. At the start of the ninth inning Brantley was questioning Ozzie's strategy of leaving MB in the game. He was criticizing Guillen big time. Needless to say, as the inning unfolded and the Angels took the lead, Brantley just kept laying into Ozzie.
Some specific thing I remember him saying were, "If I were Hermanson I'd be pissed." "If I were Mark Buehrle I'd be pissed." and something along the lines of, "well, the White Sox might have the best record in baseball, but they aren't going to get very far with these types of moves by their manager." I am not sure if Brantley has something personal against Ozzie or what, but thats what went down.

ilsox7
05-31-2005, 07:47 PM
Why do people care so much about these dimwitted baseball "analysts." Seriously, what counts are wins and losses. There are plenty of idiots out there. Stop getting worked up over some dumbass guy with a microphone.

Wanne
05-31-2005, 07:50 PM
That's funny....Kruk was defending him on Baseball Tonight.

veeter
05-31-2005, 07:59 PM
I guess if there was a way to e-mail the Brantley's, Phillips' and Suttcliffe's of the world I'd lash out that way. But as of yet I don't know a way.

PaulDrake
05-31-2005, 08:02 PM
I spent the whole ninth inning screaming at Ozzie. The Sox won in spite of him. This defensiveness about the media has reached epic proportions. I know the Cubs are the darlings of the local and national sports journalists, but Ozzie still made a total hash of the game and should be glad Timo bailed him out. Like I said elsewhere, I'm glad he wanted to change the composition and philosophy of the team, and I respect and appreciate his energy and enthusiasm. He's still not a very good game day manager.

ilsox7
05-31-2005, 08:03 PM
I guess if there was a way to e-mail the Brantley's, Phillips' and Suttcliffe's of the world I'd lash out that way. But as of yet I don't know a way.

Ignore them. These guys are paid to generate ratings. By recognizing their idiotic ways and discussing it, you are doing just what they want you to do: generate discussion about them and their employer.

I, for one, am glad everyone still expects the Twins to win the Central. Because what everyone else thinks means nothing. The game is won on the field and not in the ESPN booth or the ESPN studios.

illinibk
05-31-2005, 08:05 PM
Some specific thing I remember him saying were,..."If I were Mark Buehrle I'd be pissed."
That has to be one of the dumbest things I have ever heard from an "analyst." Maybe I am taking your description out of context, but I am assuming Brantley said that at the top of the inning when Buehrle came out to pitch, not when Gooch booted the DP ball. That being said, does Brantley even research before a game? I'm sure Buehrle hates working so many innings. Why would he want to pitch more than six innings per start? He might blow out his arm like those pitchers on the Cubs. What pitcher isn't going to want to finish what he started? In fact, I don't want a pitcher who has pitched great all day says he cannot come out in the 9th and finish what he started. I don't want a pitcher that is that soft.

ilsox7
05-31-2005, 08:05 PM
I spent the whole ninth inning screaming at Ozzie. The Sox won in spite of him. This defensiveness about the media has reached epic proportions. I know the Cubs are the darlings of the local and national sports journalists, but Ozzie still made a total hash of the game and should be glad Timo bailed him out. Like I said elsewhere, I'm glad he wanted to change the composition and philosophy of the team, and I respect and appreciate his energy and enthusiasm. He's still not a very good game day manager.

Ozzie has made plenty of great moves this year revolving around keeping a pitcher in or bringing in the right guy. However, it is human nature to only focus on the bad moves b/c they are more readily apparent. Sure, Ozzie could be better. But this team wouldn't be 34-17 (or better) without him managing it.

veeter
05-31-2005, 08:07 PM
I know that's what I SHOULD do, it's just hard to ignore them. Sox victories are really the perfect tonic. Go Sox!!!!

Cubbiesuck13
05-31-2005, 08:09 PM

They didn't win in spite of The Oz, they won in spite of a muffed DP ball or by the lack of offense with the bases juiced.

Huisj
05-31-2005, 11:27 PM
as was pointed out on a different thread, the angels had Erstad on the bench waiting to come in to face Hermanson. Kruk made note of this on BBTN. I'd love to see Kruk lay into Brantley about this on one of his famous little rants. Kruk can be dumb, but he's one of the few that seems to sort of stand up for Guillen sometimes and who actually appreciates the way the sox are winning. The rest of ESPN just plain hates Guillen.

Rocklive99
05-31-2005, 11:34 PM
They played all of Brantley's comments for like 5 minutes of the game during last nite's Sportscenter. I would have guessed that Ozzie would know about it, but I don't think he heard it, because the way Brantley was talking, what Ozzie said Maggs would have been nothing compared to this

iamkoza
05-31-2005, 11:45 PM
espn was doing a broadcast of the Sox game yesterday also. Jeff Brantley, Stone and a play by play guy were announcing. During the ugly top of the ninth Brantley was saying how Ozzie completely mismanaging the inning. He rode him the whole time how Hermanson should be out there etc. It was typically condescending.

sounded like a lot of fans in the stands, me included. But if iguchi doesnt f-up a double play, marte gets out of the inning. Also i didnt want to see erstad pinch hitting

South Side
05-31-2005, 11:51 PM
They played all of Brantley's comments for like 5 minutes of the game during last nite's Sportscenter. I would have guessed that Ozzie would know about it, but I don't think he heard it, because the way Brantley was talking, what Ozzie said Maggs would have been nothing compared to this

There's a new article up on the Sox website and he addresses the comments.

IowaSox1971
06-01-2005, 02:52 AM
Most managers automatically go to their closers in the ninth inning of a one-run game. That doesn't mean most managers are right. The typical manager often brings in the closer because he knows that if the closer loses the game, the media will blame the closer, not the manager. Ozzie's not afraid to make the move that he thinks is right for the TEAM. Just remember this: How many times did we lose games when Manuel automatically brought in Foulke to face lefty hitters on the Twins, Mariners or Yankees?

Chisoxfn
06-01-2005, 03:05 AM
Sox may of won but that doesn't excuse the fact that Brantley was 100% dead on. Ozzie managed that game awfully and damn near cost the club the game. It was a horrid managerial performance. From pinch hitting Timo for Frank (Timo is awful, regardless of the hit he had) to taking out Guchi (the best most consistent hitter on this club) and replacing him with Everett in a situation where contact was necessary (Everett has been stinking putrid the past month too).

I didn't have a problem with sticking with Buehrle, but once Mark is out I want my closer in there and Hermy is the man.

Cubbiesuck13
06-01-2005, 05:49 AM
Sox may of won but that doesn't excuse the fact that Brantley was 100% dead on. Ozzie managed that game awfully and damn near cost the club the game. It was a horrid managerial performance. From pinch hitting Timo for Frank (Timo is awful, regardless of the hit he had) to taking out Guchi (the best most consistent hitter on this club) and replacing him with Everett in a situation where contact was necessary (Everett has been stinking putrid the past month too).

I didn't have a problem with sticking with Buehrle, but once Mark is out I want my closer in there and Hermy is the man.

How was Brantley dead on? Because The Oz went with different percentages than most do? Every bullpen move he made had a reason behind it and the moves would have got him the win if the players execute.

Iguana775
06-01-2005, 08:18 AM
:whocares:

dickallen15
06-01-2005, 08:59 AM
Is this the same Jeff Brantley who is so well prepared for his job he kept calling the Sox closer "Chad Hermanson"? Ozzie did manage that inning horribly, but Brantley has a grudge against the White Sox. He has had it ever since he miraculously appeared as a baseball "analyst". Just ignore him.

tstrike2000
06-01-2005, 09:07 AM
Let's not generate anymore threads regarding these losers.

LauraJ14
06-01-2005, 09:14 AM
Why do people care so much about these dimwitted baseball "analysts." Seriously, what counts are wins and losses. There are plenty of idiots out there. Stop getting worked up over some dumbass guy with a microphone.

The problem with those idiots at ESPN is that game was not televised in Chicago, it went around the country. So now fans that see the Sox a couple of times a year are going to have an impression about the Sox based on that "idiots" comments.

firejauron
06-01-2005, 09:25 AM
Let's not generate anymore threads regarding these losers.
Exactly, I'm too busy enjoying a winning season to worry about what morons in the media have to say about the Sox. I don't understand why some people (this isn't directed at Veeter) get so riled up about media coverage of the Sox.

Baby Fisk
06-01-2005, 09:33 AM
Is this the same Jeff Brantley who is so well prepared for his job he kept calling the Sox closer "Chad Hermanson"?
If he can't be bothered to do his job right, we can't be bothered to take him seriously. What a tool.

Ozzie's response is the best:
"I just laughed. I do my job and I do the best I can to win games. That's why they're sitting behind the desk and I'm here managing."

Nice. :bandance:

spawn
06-01-2005, 09:39 AM
The Sox won in spite of him? Let's see...

-The Sox had the bases loaded and no one out in the 2nd and scored one run.

-The Sox had the bases loaded and no one out in the 3rd, and were saved by the two out double from Rowand that plated 2 runs.

-The Sox had runners and 1st and 2nd and no one out in the 4th, and didn't score.

- Iguchi screws up a game ending double play in the 9th.

The Sox had numerous oppurtunities to blow that game open, yet they won in spite of him? Which game were you watching? Or did you just watch the 9th inning?:rolleyes:

infohawk
06-01-2005, 10:28 AM
as was pointed out on a different thread, the angels had Erstad on the bench waiting to come in to face Hermanson. Kruk made note of this on BBTN. I'd love to see Kruk lay into Brantley about this on one of his famous little rants. Kruk can be dumb, but he's one of the few that seems to sort of stand up for Guillen sometimes and who actually appreciates the way the sox are winning. The rest of ESPN just plain hates Guillen.

I think that Kruk knows and respects Ozzie.

Huisj
06-01-2005, 10:43 AM
Quote:
"I just laughed. I do my job and I do the best I can to win games. That's why they're sitting behind the desk and I'm here managing."

It gets better: from the Southtown, Ozzie said this about Brantley:

"I laughed because he was a horse(bleep) pitcher, and he's going to make comments like that about pitching."

Cubbiesuck13
06-02-2005, 12:38 AM
Brantley approached Guillen behind the batting cage, extended his hand but received a very soft handshake from the Sox's manager, who then walked away.

Both parties confirmed the dialogue went like this:

Brantley: "I wasn't trying to kill you. I was trying to make a point."

Guillen: "Good for you."

Guillen walked away to the left side of the cage and shared a laugh with shortstop Juan Uribe.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-050601soxbits,1,3543849.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines