PDA

View Full Version : Thomas to be discussed on Around the Horn

IA_soxfan
05-31-2005, 05:25 PM
Frank Thomas will be a topic of discussion in the final showdown on Around the Horn in a matter of minutes. Just a heads up guys. Moronotti will be one panelist, Bob Ryan the other.

fquaye149
05-31-2005, 05:44 PM
expect stupidity

Risk
05-31-2005, 05:46 PM
expect stupidity

Took the words right out of my mouth.:cool:

Risk

I want Mags back
05-31-2005, 05:58 PM
Frank Thomas will be a topic of discussion in the final showdown on Around the Horn in a matter of minutes. Just a heads up guys. Moronotti will be one panelist, Bob Ryan the other.

No Moroniti lostin the 2nd elim. It was Ryan vs. Cowlishaw. Again as always, they just talked on if he will make the HOF

mweflen
05-31-2005, 05:58 PM
synopsis please!

chisoxfanatic
05-31-2005, 06:08 PM
synopsis please!

Basically, Ryan said that Frank doesn't deserve a HOF bid, due to his off-field "antics" (whatever, dude :rolleyes: ), while Cowlishaw stated that Frank deserves a HOF bid due to his numbers (highlighting his production in the 90s, and that he basically created the on base percentage statistic. They awarded the point to Ryan, unfortunately. I guess we shouldn't expect anything else, though.

RKMeibalane
05-31-2005, 06:18 PM
Basically, Ryan said that Frank doesn't deserve a HOF bid, due to his off-field "antics" (whatever, dude :rolleyes: ), while Cowlishaw stated that Frank deserves a HOF bid due to his numbers (highlighting his production in the 90s, and that he basically created the on base percentage statistic. They awarded the point to Ryan, unfortunately. I guess we shouldn't expect anything else, though.

What "off-field antics?" Kobe Bryant is guilty of "off-field antics." The worst thing Frank has done is whine about his contract. How ****ing stupid must Bob Ryan be?

chisoxfanatic
05-31-2005, 06:20 PM
What "off-field antics?" Kobe Bryant is guilty of "off-field antics." The worst thing Frank has done is whine about his contract. How ****ing stupid must Bob Ryan be?

He basically said that Frank is a huge cancer in the clubhouse, and that voters will look at this and not vote for him as a result...

At least we here at WSI are intelligent on this topic...Perhaps he should try seeking the voices of those "in the know" rather than mouth off about something that's been made up by the media (Chicago and national).

mweflen
05-31-2005, 06:22 PM
How does some fricken' sport journalist know what a "clubhouse cancer is?" This is a pet peeve of mine. I hate discussions of things that we couldn't possibly have knowledge of. You'll never see me talking about "the way a guy is in the clubhouse." How the heck should I know? Only the guys that live and work with eachother for 7 or 8 months a year could possibly have anything valid to say on it.

PAPChiSox729
05-31-2005, 06:27 PM
He basically said that Frank is a huge cancer in the clubhouse, and that voters will look at this and not vote for him as a result...

So I guess this means Randy Johnson doesn't get in either.
:rolleyes:

I know the cases for Frank and RJ are different, but since when was being a "clubhouse cancer" an issue with being a HOF player??

Spicoli
05-31-2005, 06:30 PM
but since when was being a "clubhouse cancer" an issue with being a HOF player??

Since morons like Ryan were allowed to write about babseball and, most unfortunately, vote for HOF selections.

RKMeibalane
05-31-2005, 06:32 PM

I know the cases for Frank and RJ are different, but since when was being a "clubhouse cancer" an issue with being a HOF player??

Agreed. There are a number of self-absorbed jerks in the HOF. Reggie Jackson, Ty Cobb, half the 1972 Athletics, etc. Bob Ryan needs to find another job.

SouthSideSid
05-31-2005, 06:42 PM
Bob Ryan is the freaking idiot who got suspended by his own paper for making some moronic statements about Jason Kidd's wife or something like that.

Anything he has to say about Frank or any other topic east of Boston isn't worth repeating.

Ol' No. 2
05-31-2005, 06:44 PM
How does some fricken' sport journalist know what a "clubhouse cancer is?" This is a pet peeve of mine. I hate discussions of things that we couldn't possibly have knowledge of. You'll never see me talking about "the way a guy is in the clubhouse." How the heck should I know? Only the guys that live and work with eachother for 7 or 8 months a year could possibly have anything valid to say on it.It's simple. All these guys know deep down that they don't really know anything, so mostly they just repeat what the other writers say. When enough morons repeat it, it becomes a fact.

illinibk
05-31-2005, 06:57 PM
Bob Ryan is a douche, has always been a douche, and will always be a douche. The next intelligent thought he has (whether on Around the Horn or in print) will be his first. I sympathize for Fenway, since he and the rest of Boston is inundated with the flaming bag of crap that is Bob Ryan.

Sxy Mofo
05-31-2005, 07:01 PM
It's simple. All these guys know deep down that they don't really know anything, so mostly they just repeat what the other writers say. When enough morons repeat it, it becomes a fact.

Gotta love how that works.

voodoochile
05-31-2005, 07:02 PM

Not really, I have come to the conclusion that if players who DH are not HOF worthy because they do not play defense (only play half the game) then AL pitchers shouldn't be worthy either as they do not swing a bat. Don't even get me started on that playing once every 5 days stuff too...

Let's ask Aaron Rowand whether Frank is a clubhouse cancer...

Sxy Mofo
05-31-2005, 07:10 PM
Not really, I have come to the conclusion that if players who DH are not HOF worthy because they do not play defense (only play half the game) then AL pitchers shouldn't be worthy either as they do not swing a bat. Don't even get me started on that playing once every 5 days stuff too...

But then you must take into account NL pitchers hitting stats...

nasox
05-31-2005, 07:17 PM
Gotta love how that works.

It's almost comical to think that is true. How? I don't know, but it is.

fquaye149
05-31-2005, 07:25 PM
It's simple. All these guys know deep down that they don't really know anything, .

some of them don't even know that.

Heck!

MOST of them don't even know that!

Flight #24
05-31-2005, 11:30 PM
Let's ask Aaron Rowand whether Frank is a clubhouse cancer...

Or Juan Uribe. Why doesn't anyone in the media write about that stuff? (Yes, I do know the answer)

Chisox003
05-31-2005, 11:37 PM
Bob Ryan is a douche, has always been a douche, and will always be a douche. The next intelligent thought he has (whether on Around the Horn or in print) will be his first. I sympathize for Fenway, since he and the rest of Boston is inundated with the flaming bag of crap that is Bob Ryan.

BOB ******* RYAN?!? :roflmao: :rolling:

Please people, if this guy is somehow on that show, along with Moronotti, I think that speaks volumes of Around the Horn and ESPN in general (But who doesn't know that)

Im about 100% sure that Big Frank and the Sox couldn't care less about Bob Ryan (:roflmao: ) and his "antics", and I doubt we should spend much more time on this either.....Roadhouse!

Next!

ChiSox14305635
05-31-2005, 11:40 PM
Basically, Ryan said that Frank doesn't deserve a HOF bid, due to his off-field "antics"

http://aol.nba.com/media/joumana_kidd_190_030604.jpg

"You want to talk about antics, big boy?"

rwcescato
06-01-2005, 12:33 AM

At least we here at WSI are intelligent on this topic...Perhaps he should try seeking the voices of those "in the know" rather than mouth off about something that's been made up by the media (Chicago and national).

That just tells me we need to win the WS for Franks legacy. What a great career for frank if we win it all. He carries us to the title on his back. That would shut up all the naysayers. If Frank is Frank this year that will happen.
Rich:supernana:

Jjav829
06-01-2005, 12:38 AM
I wouldn't get so worked up over this. They each have to take sides on the issue. Ryan just happened to be on the "no" side, so he had to say whatever he could to support that answer. There are few legitimate reasons to say that Frank shouldn't be in the HOF, and I doubt Ryan could pull out any good reason so he's just falling back on stereotypes.

Deadguy
06-01-2005, 12:45 AM
That just tells me we need to win the WS for Franks legacy. What a great career for frank if we win it all. He carries us to the title on his back. That would shut up all the naysayers. If Frank is Frank this year that will happen.
Rich:supernana:

I hope Frank can contribute to the Sox the same way that Willie Stargell contributed to the Pirates in 1979.

He may not get as many PAs, have the cumulative stats that Stargell had, nd he certainly will not win (or tie for) the MVP,but there's still time to leave a mark with neary 4 months left, and a deep run in the playoffs.

Even though Willie already had a WS ring, there were a couple of series where he went 0 for 14 and then 1 for 16. Those 13 PAs for the 2000 playoffs are going to dog Frank for the rest of his career, if he doesn't get more chances in the POs, and time is certainly running out.

Guys like Manny Rameriz and Dave Winfield could redeem themselves after a few lousy post-season appearances by getting WS rings, while guys like Cobb and Williams had limited chances, and did not capitalize on them.

TaylorStSox
06-01-2005, 01:26 AM
Frank is the best right handed hitter I've ever seen. The numbers back me up. The only comparable numbers in the 90's are JuanGone, Ramirez and Piazza. With that said, he's going to need some help to get in. It's a travesty. Especially, when considering that he put up considerable numbers in the juiced era without being juiced.

However, I can see why some of the writers don't vote for him. A) He plays for the team that threw the series. B) He's been a subpar fielder, when he fielded. C) There was a good amount of time when he wasn't liked in Chicago. I remember going to games as a child and being brought to tears because my hero was being boo'd. That's one blackeye that the entire Sox family will have to live with.

TDog
06-01-2005, 11:44 AM
According to the Hall of Fame voting results announced in January 1982, nine of the 415 baseball writers voting left Henry Aaron off the ballot. NINE writers that year didn't deem HENRY AARON worthy of election to the Hall of Fame -- at least on the first ballot. One writer voted only for Looie Aparicio that year, another only for Juan Marichal. Each writer can list 10 names on the ballot.

The closest anyone has come to being unanimous was Ty Cobb, who got 222 of 226 votes, despite his off-field problems, which included leaving the field during the game to beat up a crippled fan. In that first year of election, he got more votes than Babe Ruth, who even more writers also left off the ballot.

Petty people like Bob Ryan will only be happy if they can force Frank Thomas to fight it out for election in the Veterans Committee, against the ghost of Ron Santo.

fquaye149
06-01-2005, 11:47 AM
The closest anyone has come to being unanimous was Ty Cobb, who got 222 of 226 votes, despite his off-field problems, which included leaving the field during the game to beat up a crippled fan.

he wasn't crippled

ma_deuce
06-01-2005, 12:13 PM

http://images.ibsys.com/2003/0928/2516238_200X150.jpg

"You mean to say that if you're an obnoxious pain in the rear that you don't get into the Hall of Fame!?! Oooooooohhhhhhhhhh, nnnooooooooooooooo!!!!"

1951Campbell
06-02-2005, 11:00 AM
Bob Ryan picking on the Sox? Maybe someone should slap him around a little bit.

:o:

RKMeibalane
06-02-2005, 11:05 AM
Bob Ryan picking on the Sox? Maybe someone should slap him around a little bit.

:o:

ZING!

1951Campbell
06-02-2005, 11:21 AM
ZING!

Well, someone had to make that joke...

:D:

RKMeibalane
06-02-2005, 11:22 AM
Well, someone had to make that joke...

:D:

I thought about doing it, but then decided to hold back. :cool:

fquaye149
06-02-2005, 12:29 PM
http://images.ibsys.com/2003/0928/2516238_200X150.jpg

"You mean to say that if you're an obnoxious pain in the rear that you don't get into the Hall of Fame!?! Oooooooohhhhhhhhhh, nnnooooooooooooooo!!!!"

No Ron - if you're not a hall of famer you don't get into the hall of fame.

Mickster
06-02-2005, 12:41 PM
No Ron - if you're not a hall of famer you don't get into the hall of fame.

:roflmao: :roflmao: