PDA

View Full Version : Traffic Flow

hawkeyesrule
05-31-2005, 12:06 PM
Yesterday was the worst experience I have ever had getting to Comiskey. I came in from Aurora, got off the Ryan at 31st around 2:40 or so. Plenty of time, or so I thought. I sat in traffic for the next 45 minutes and was forced to park at 35th and State. To top it off, Uncle Jerry still charged me $17 for the privilege. Does everyone else encounter problems like this? It's like the Sox have never seen a crowd before. I normally go to a bar beforehand and get parking with that, but yesterday I just wanted to take it easy. Never again!:angry:

On an unrelated note, it was nice to see Big Frank get the love each time he came up to bat. Here's to a monster year from the Big Man...:gulp:

SoxFan78
05-31-2005, 12:12 PM
Half price mondays are always bad for traffic. Add other factors like Memorial Day, great weather, and big Frank coming back. It's gonna be a mad house over there.

Sorry to hear about what happened, but you had to give yourself more time. I left Elmhurst at 1PM and got into the stadium just after 2PM.

Ol' No. 2
05-31-2005, 12:14 PM
Yesterday was the worst experience I have ever had getting to Comiskey. I came in from Aurora, got off the Ryan at 31st around 2:40 or so. Plenty of time, or so I thought. I sat in traffic for the next 45 minutes and was forced to park at 35th and State. To top it off, Uncle Jerry still charged me $17 for the privilege. Does everyone else encounter problems like this? It's like the Sox have never seen a crowd before. I normally go to a bar beforehand and get parking with that, but yesterday I just wanted to take it easy. Never again!:angry:

On an unrelated note, it was nice to see Big Frank get the love each time he came up to bat. Here's to a monster year from the Big Man...:gulp:When I saw the line of cars from the Ryan onto the Stevenson ramp, I immediately went to plan B. Take the Stevenson to MLK drive south and turn west on 33rd. Much faster.

nasox
05-31-2005, 12:15 PM
No, the sox are just the worst team when it comes to having large crowds and directing traffic. The game where Frank hit is 400 last year? I was in traffic until the third inning after arriving at the cell with about 35 minutes to spare before first pitch. Add to that the fact that I was going to get out of the line and drive to a CTA station and park n ride, but wasn't allowed to was pretty bad. Never drive on huge days.

hawkeyesrule
05-31-2005, 12:16 PM
That will be my plan B from now on. I grew up in the south Burbs, so I usually would get off at Pershing and park in the neighborhood. Thanks for the route coming from the West!

mccombe_35
05-31-2005, 12:25 PM
No, the sox are just the worst team when it comes to having large crowds and directing traffic. The game where Frank hit is 400 last year? I was in traffic until the third inning after arriving at the cell with about 35 minutes to spare before first pitch. Add to that the fact that I was going to get out of the line and drive to a CTA station and park n ride, but wasn't allowed to was pretty bad. Never drive on huge days.

I was at the game for Frank's 400th as well. Good times.

Only been to 1 game so far this year (tonight will be #2) & traffic was BRUTAL. The game was the Saturday night game against Baltimore. 6:05 start
I left my place in Prospect Heights at 4:15. After I finally parked the car we ran through the parking lot to the gate while hearing the National Anthem. Just made it to my seat for the White Sox intro.

Mapquest has the 28 mile drive as a 35 minute trip. It took me 110 minutes.

However, after the game I didn't stay for the fireworks & got out of there pretty quickly....

jake27
05-31-2005, 12:30 PM
i didnt have as much trouble i had yesterday than i did at i think it was the saturday game agianst the orioles htis year. my dad and i got off at pershing and were directed to go down the street and to park by the back lots. but by the time we got there they werent allowing anyone in expect people who had coupons. so at this point we had bene waiting in line for about 45 minutes. so we waited in line again to go across the expressway via pershing. then we were directed back onto the epressway to get onto 35th again then had to park by the green line and take a shuttle bus.. and STILL had to pay $17 for parking there. it was terrible by the sox and my dad (probally was just in anger) said he would never go to the sox game again. we missed 3 and a hafl innings after we got to the park 70 minutes early.

Jerko
05-31-2005, 12:45 PM
I had that problem about a month back and bitched about it and here's the email I received from the Sox regarding the parking fiasco that seems to happen on large crowd days. This was on a Sunday with the announced crowd of 23,000 and I am a weekend season ticket (not parking pass) holder.

I am very sorry for the problems that you had in trying to park your car in a cash parking lot that day. We have eight parking lots adjacent to the ballpark which accept both cash and pre-paid parking coupons as a convenience to our guests. Pre-paid parking coupons are purchased both by our season ticket holders as well as guests who purchase them on an individual game basis. On the weekends, our season ticket base is
larger and the amount of pre-sold individual tickets is usually higher. The result of these sales is that we require a greater number of parking spaces put aside to accommodate the larger number of pre-paid parking passes that were sold for that particular game. This is the reason that you will sometimes be able to park in a particular parking lot for one game but not another.

The two parking lots, for which you will always be able to pay cash to park, based on the availability of spaces, would be lots G and L. Parking lot G is just west of the viaduct on 35th street and Lot L is between 38th and 39th streets on the east side of the train tracks. The only exception to cash parking availability in Lot L would be for a sold out event (like the Cubs or Yankees series) where a large number of coupons would be issued for the game. In these instances, Lot L becomes coupon-only near game time as the other parking lots have filled.

I also apologize for the directions that were given to you by our parking staff as well as the way in which they were communicated. Please know that I have forwarded your comments along to the parking department
such that they may pass them along to the staff that was involved that
day.

If you have any additional questions or concerns, please feel free to write again. Otherwise, I hope that you enjoyed the rest of your time at the ballpark that day!

BainesHOF
05-31-2005, 12:56 PM
Two driving tips if you're coming from the west:

- If you take the Ryan, drive past 35th and exit at Pershing.

- If you're taking the Eisenhower, I suggest exiting on Damen and turning south, take a left on Roosevelt and right on Halsted to 35th.

dcb33
05-31-2005, 12:59 PM

- If you're taking the Eisenhower, I suggest exiting on Damen and turning south, take a left on Roosevelt and right on Halsted to 35th.

My plan B is similar to yours, except that I'll take the Ryan and if it's really bad, I'll get off on 18th, then take that to Halsted, then Halsted to 35th, which gives you really easy access to the G lot.

MUScholar21
05-31-2005, 01:02 PM
I don't want too many people tying me up, but as a heads up in the future-if you are coming north on the Stevenson, get off at Damen/Ashland, and take either of them (I prefer Damen personally because it is more east) to 35th. You'll be there in no time, and you completely avoid the mess that is the Ryan on ramp and the exits by the park off it.

I don't want to make this public knowledge, but I go early enough to not worry about traffic (nothing beats chilling in the sun with fellow White Sox fans) and I feel bad that people are leaving in plenty of time and STILL missing the first 3 innings.

ChiSoxGirl
05-31-2005, 01:10 PM
I was at the game for Frank's 400th as well. Good times.

Only been to 1 game so far this year (tonight will be #2) & traffic was BRUTAL. The game was the Saturday night game against Baltimore. 6:05 start
I left my place in Prospect Heights at 4:15. After I finally parked the car we ran through the parking lot to the gate while hearing the National Anthem. Just made it to my seat for the White Sox intro.

Mapquest has the 28 mile drive as a 35 minute trip. It took me 110 minutes.

However, after the game I didn't stay for the fireworks & got out of there pretty quickly....

I was at both of those games! Whaddya know?! Anyway, for the Saturday one against Baltimore, I left my house at 3:35p because I love to get there early. According to my calculations, I'm 26 miles from Comiskey Park. We arrived at Gate 3 at 5:05p that day; 90 minutes... on a Saturday afternoon! It was the worst commute I've had down there on a weekend in ages! We were in a Diamond Suite and stayed for the fireworks, so after we made our way out of the Suite and over to Lot F to my car... yeah, another 45 minutes to get to the freeway! :tongue:

A tip for tonight's game... leave Prospect Heights around 4 or 4:15 at the latest; believe me, it'll be worth it! Pathetic for a 7:05 start, I know!

Ol' No. 2
05-31-2005, 01:18 PM
I was at both of those games! Whaddya know?! Anyway, for the Saturday one against Baltimore, I left my house at 3:35p because I love to get there early. According to my calculations, I'm 26 miles from Comiskey Park. We arrived at Gate 3 at 5:05p that day; 90 minutes... on a Saturday afternoon! It was the worst commute I've had down there on a weekend in ages! We were in a Diamond Suite and stayed for the fireworks, so after we made our way out of the Suite and over to Lot F to my car... yeah, another 45 minutes to get to the freeway! :tongue:

A tip for tonight's game... leave Prospect Heights around 4 or 4:15 at the latest; believe me, it'll be worth it! Pathetic for a 7:05 start, I know!I work in Des Plaines, and I've driven to a game from there once. Never again. Now I drive to the Blue line stop at Rosemont and take the El. Fighting the Kennedy traffic is nuts.

Jerko
05-31-2005, 01:38 PM
I agree. I took the Red Line once from work (washington/dearborn) and it was a piece of cake. Just try to get on the first car if you're cutting it close.

Hitmen77
05-31-2005, 01:55 PM

Why would you take either the Ryan or the Ike coming in from Naperville? I take I-55 in and exit at either Damen or California and take one of those streets to 35th and then take 35th to the park.

For those of you posting from the Mt. Prospect area, why don't you just drive to the Rosemont blue line station and take the el to the game?

robertks61
05-31-2005, 02:30 PM
On the way home I get to Pershing -> Ashland -> I-55 south to Shorewood, usually pretty quick.

For a 7:00 game I leave around 4:30 and get there prior to the gates opening. Sometimes we hit Jimbo's or Grandstand prior to the game.

cheeses_h_rice
05-31-2005, 02:52 PM
IMO, if it seems reasonable that more than 25,000 people will be showing up, I try to leave so that I arrive an hour before gametime. Otherwise, you just risk getting caught up in the cluster**** vortex that is the traffic direction off the Ryan and surrounding the park.

Or take the El.

jdm2662
05-31-2005, 03:11 PM
I live in Elmhurst, and I have to fight the Eisenhower. Luckily, I know alt routes around it until I get on Austin. I can usually get to 31st and the Dan Ryan in about 40mins during the week. If I don't get stuck on the ramp from the Ryan to 290, I can get home in about 25mins... Another alt route is getting off at Ashland and taking it to 35th.
________
Portable vaporizers (http://vaporizer.org/portable)

dcb33
05-31-2005, 03:44 PM
I live in Elmhurst, and I have to fight the Eisenhower. Luckily, I know alt routes around it until I get on Austin. I can usually get to 31st and the Dan Ryan in about 40mins during the week. If I don't get stuck on the ramp from the Ryan to 290, I can get home in about 25mins... Another alt route is getting off at Ashland and taking it to 35th.

What do you take to get to Austin quickly? Roosevelt? St. Charles to 5th Ave. to Lake, or North Ave.?

chisoxfanatic
05-31-2005, 06:42 PM
If you don't like the parking and are at liberty of doing this, the greatest advice I have for you is to move to the neighborhood. It's the greatest decision I made over the offseason, as I moved from Bolingbrook to a 2-flat in Bridgeport. I walk to every game, meaning I don't have to pay the $17 parking fee. In 20-25 minutes, I'm from putting my shoes on at the door to sitting in my seat...I don't have to worry about the hectic parking directions.

This is becoming a VERY great market for real estate and is something to consider if you have the chance...

Viva Medias B's
05-31-2005, 07:44 PM
Here is on tip on getting to the park in timely fashion, especially if you know a large crowd is expected: LEAVE HOME EARLY (if you can).

The way I go, as others have mentioned, is take the inbound Stevenson to Damen/Ashland. Sometimes I take the Stevenson to the Dan Ryan and exit 31st Street as opposed to 35th Street. That is because it's easier to get in the right lane of Wentworth (to access the 37th & Princeton gate) when you're coming from the 31st exit instead of the 35th exit.

I usually go through the neighborhood on the way out as well. I'll exit via the 37th & Princeton gate and take Wentworth to Pershing, Pershing to Halsted, Halsted to 35th, 35th to Ashland, and so on and so forth. However, that is not a route I'd recommend for a weekday game, which usually ends during rush hour. Northbound Halsted and northbound Ashland jams up during rush hour.

WagMan
05-31-2005, 10:12 PM
The worst experience I've ever had was on opening day of this year. Had to park on a side street around 33rd and King Drive. Didn't get into the park until after the 2nd inning. To add to that, Buehrle pitched the game in less than 2 hours!
After driving to the park for the last 10 years, I finally decided to give "the el" a chance and I couldn't have been happier with the results! Hopped on the orange line at Midway and switched to the red at Roosevelt. It was a game against the O's and there were alot of people there. But, I had no problem getting to the park and leaving and all it cost me was a few bucks! Beats the $17 at the park anyday.

rwcescato
05-31-2005, 10:23 PM

On an unrelated note, it was nice to see Big Frank get the love each time he came up to bat. Here's to a monster year from the Big Man...:gulp:\

On big crowd days or anyother day get there early and tailgate. I have gone to many sellouts over the past 5 years including sox/cub games and never have bad experiences. I go to 20 or so games a year and make it an event every time. I don't understand why people go so late. Its there loss.
Rich

iamkoza
05-31-2005, 10:52 PM

On an unrelated note, it was nice to see Big Frank get the love each time he came up to bat. Here's to a monster year from the Big Man...:gulp:

if you are coming from aurora, take metra/red-line, yesterday metra didnt even charge me

skobabe8
06-01-2005, 01:15 AM
\

On big crowd days or anyother day get there early and tailgate. I have gone to many sellouts over the past 5 years including sox/cub games and never have bad experiences. I go to 20 or so games a year and make it an event every time. I don't understand why people go so late. Its there loss.
Rich

I am with ya. I never have problems. Its all about leaving early. And I'm not talking about "get there by the anthem" early, I'm talking "catch the end of batting practice" early. I know its just not possible for alot of you to do this with your schedules, but if you can its well worth it. As far as parking goes......I would love to give out all of my secrets, but then they wouldnt be secrets now would they? :wink:

batmanZoSo
06-01-2005, 01:20 AM
On a sellout type day, you have to be at the park at least a full hour before the game if you want to get in on time. I mean you have to be at least on the Dan Ryan at 35th (or 31st if you're coming from the north) an hour before the game. If you're late it's your fault. :cool:

patbooyah
06-01-2005, 01:26 AM
If you don't like the parking and are at liberty of doing this, the greatest advice I have for you is to move to the neighborhood. It's the greatest decision I made over the offseason, as I moved from Bolingbrook to a 2-flat in Bridgeport. I walk to every game, meaning I don't have to pay the $17 parking fee. In 20-25 minutes, I'm from putting my shoes on at the door to sitting in my seat...I don't have to worry about the hectic parking directions.

This is becoming a VERY great market for real estate and is something to consider if you have the chance...

i suggest that you people lucky enough to live in chicago make friends with a certain chi sox fanatic and park in his garage. :cool:

ClaudelSleptHere
06-01-2005, 02:45 AM
I'm coming for the first two Flub games. Are there places close enough to the Cell to park, eat, and then walk to the game without having to move the car again? Getting there early will not be a problem. I know Jimbo's, but I'm traveling with my 20 year old son and I don't know if he can get in there. Thanks.

mike squires
06-01-2005, 09:00 AM
We don't usually have a lot of problems coming in from Champaign. It's fairly easy to get there withuot having any problems. Occasionally when they are doing construction (there was some that seemed to go on for 2-3 years) we'll get backed up for a bit. We are usually one of the first to get there. I'm usually one of the first in line. My wife hates how they direct trafic out after the game. They lead you arund the neighborhood that eventually leads to 94.

maurice
06-01-2005, 12:46 PM
Are there places close enough to the Cell to park, eat, and then walk to the game without having to move the car again?

There's Cobblestones on Pershing; a string of restaurants on 31st St. between the Ryan and the tracks; and Schallers, Ramova Grill, and Bridgeport Restaurant on Halsted. Each of these are about 1/2 mile from the park. The number of options double if you're willing to walk 6 to 8 blocks. You also could park / eat in Chinatown and take a very short ride on the Red Line or bus south to the park.

ClaudelSleptHere
06-01-2005, 01:13 PM
Thanks, Maurice

chisoxfanatic
06-01-2005, 01:16 PM
i suggest that you people lucky enough to live in chicago make friends with a certain chi sox fanatic and park in his garage. :cool:

HER garage. :cool:

thepaulbowski
06-01-2005, 01:46 PM
There's Cobblestones on Pershing; a string of restaurants on 31st St. between the Ryan and the tracks; and Schallers, Ramova Grill, and Bridgeport Restaurant on Halsted. Each of these are about 1/2 mile from the park. The number of options double if you're willing to walk 6 to 8 blocks. You also could park / eat in Chinatown and take a very short ride on the Red Line or bus south to the park.

Another option, albeit it a little bit of a walk, is to park in the CTA lot at Archer & Halsted for $2.00 then walk of take a bus to 35th Street.

ode to veeck
06-01-2005, 02:09 PM
I dunno what the problem is but they have clearly lost the recipe for controlling traffic. From what I saw, they'd be better off without any of the really pathetic cops redirecting traffic all over the place (can't see that it does any good). Any crowd over 25,000 and its a mess, even if you arrive 1.5 hours ahead of game time. It certainly wasn't this bad decades ago with large crowds.

SOXSINCE'70
06-01-2005, 03:05 PM
\

On big crowd days or anyother day get there early and tailgate.

Amen.That's half the fun.I don't want to be running around like a chicken
with my head cut off.The earlier you arrive at the park,the better.I tend to
get to the park 2 1/2 to 3 hours before the game.Grill up a few
burgers,have some Diet Cokes (my beverage of choice),snack on
some pretzels and talk with the fans.:cool:

robertks61
06-01-2005, 03:07 PM
Amen.That's half the fun.I don't want to be running around like a chicken
with my head cut off.The earlier you arrive at the park,the better.I tend to
get to the park 2 1/2 to 3 hours before the game.Grill up a few
burgers,have some Diet Cokes (my beverage of choice),snack on
some pretzels and talk with the fans.:cool:

For the Friday Scrub game last year we got there before the lot's even opened. It worked out well though.

SOXSINCE'70
06-01-2005, 03:09 PM
For the Friday Scrub game last year we got there before the lot's even opened. It worked out well though.

I have arrived before the gates open as well.Highly recommended.:cool: