PDA

View Full Version : New Beer Policy on Mondays & Tuesdays

cubhater
05-31-2005, 12:02 PM
Didn't notice if this was posted before, but the Sox have a new policy to curb on the rowdiness on Mondays and Tuesdays. No beer vendors in the outfield and llimit of one beer per person at the concourse stands in the same area.

Something had to be done but this hurts the vendors and the responsible fans who enjoy a few cold ones. The lines at the stands were insane yesterday afternoon. I'd rather see more security and fans police themselves. If you see potential for trouble starting, notify security before it gets out of control.

daveeym
05-31-2005, 12:04 PM
Didn't notice if this was posted before, but the Sox have a new policy to curb on the rowdiness on Mondays and Tuesdays. No beer vendors in the outfield and llimit of one beer per person at the concourse stands in the same area.

Something had to be done but this hurts the vendors and the responsible fans who enjoy a few cold ones. The lines at the stands were insane yesterday afternoon. I'd rather see more security and fans police themselves. If you see potential for trouble starting, notify security before it gets out of control. Welcome to last year. Been that way for quite awhile/

KarkoFan1
05-31-2005, 12:06 PM
yeah, it took me two innings to realize that no beer vendors were coming yesterday. I wanted to buy a beer for my dad and I wasn't able to because of the new policy. I know it is a rowdy crowd on Mondays and Tuesdays but man, it stinks to be a mild manner person who just wants to get a beer at the game.

Ol' No. 2
05-31-2005, 12:08 PM
No beer vendors in the outfield, but lots of them in the UD? If this makes any sense to anyone, I'd like to hear it.

voodoochile
05-31-2005, 12:10 PM
No beer vendors in the outfield, but lots of them in the UD? If this makes any sense to anyone, I'd like to hear it.

Drunks in the UD can't get to the field...

I admit that I find fights in the UD much more scary than in the lower deck, because the stairs are steep. I have seen a couple of guys " " that close to going head over heels backwards down the stairs when involved in an altercation.

FARMEO
05-31-2005, 12:38 PM
I was actually able to buy beer from a vendor from my lower reserved outfield seats during the Monday game against Texas. I am not sure what the rules are anymore regarding beer sales.

seanpmurphy
05-31-2005, 12:43 PM
Did anyone else in the Upper Deck notice the hot dog people never coming around? I don't know if I was in a crappy section (544) but the hot dog vendor came around the 1st, 2nd, and 9th inning. What the hell is that?:angry:

DumpJerry
05-31-2005, 12:44 PM
I was in 548 on for yesterday's (Monday) game. I think there was one beer vendor who came our way, maybe two, for the entire game. I saw several hot dog vendors.

Hangar18
05-31-2005, 12:49 PM
The White Sox really must sit down, and do something about the terrible service during "full-house" games. Cmon, it shouldnt take 3 innings to wait in line for burger and fries. Beer lines? they were 80 deep. Ridiculous.
Hire more people ..........

VeeckAsInWreck
05-31-2005, 12:55 PM
The White Sox really must sit down, and do something about the terrible service during "full-house" games. Cmon, it shouldnt take 3 innings to wait in line for burger and fries. Beer lines? they were 80 deep. Ridiculous.

:reinsy
"First you don't want to show up, now you do and you want service? Ha!"

LuvSox
05-31-2005, 01:15 PM
Why aren't there vendors in the outfield on Tuesdays? Isn't that Pepsi half price ticket thing, whatever it's called, only for ud seats this year?

PaleHoseGeorge
05-31-2005, 02:12 PM

Yet one more reason why WALK UP SALES SUCK as a strategy for improving Sox attendance. Nobody knows how many walk ups will show up (it's mostly contingent on the weather) and getting enough vendors trained and available for work the morning of a big gate is nearly impossible.

Don't feel bad, Hangar. You're no more clueless for why this happens than the idiot who used to be V.P. of Sox marketing.

:gallas
"Gee, I thought all my zany single-game promotions were the key to great attendance!"

Jerko
05-31-2005, 02:26 PM
What do they do when the "big" series come up (cubs, spankees, red cubs)? Can't they just use the staff they would employ for those games for weekend/opening day/half price nights too? I also never understood how they miscalculate walkups so horribly! Two come to mind right away: the KC "Dybass" game is one (First trip back to the Cell for KC after the Gamboa incident, 70 degree weather, first monday night game of the year, first game of a homestand, Royals were 11-4 or something like that), and yesterday. People here on WSI were saying for days that yesterday was probably gonna be a sellout, nobody from the White Sox could figure it out? That's pretty bad planning there. Walkups take place mostly on Mondays and MAYBE holidays. Yesterday was both. Tuesdays aren't so bad anymore walkup-wise because you can order your 1/2 price tix the previous Friday now, so what's so difficult here Sox? Half price, beautiful weather, a holiday to boot, and the Big Hurt coming back? That's an easy one guys.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-31-2005, 02:55 PM
What do they do when the "big" series come up (cubs, spankees, red cubs)? Can't they just use the staff they would employ for those games for weekend/opening day/half price nights too? ....

I'm not sure you intended it, but thanks for listing all the variables that must be projected BEFORE you bring in vendors to work a ballgame with lots and lots of walk ups. Again, you don't KNOW the weather until the morning of the game... so the bigger the walk up the more warm bodies your supervisors must call in to work. Fat chance getting all you need...

If it rains yesterday, how many vendors do you need -- in spite of 1/2 price Monday, in spite of the holiday, in spite of Frank's return?

If they're season ticketholders -- not walk ups -- the math is easy.

:cool:

LVSoxFan
05-31-2005, 02:59 PM
I was there yesterday and it was jam packed like I've never seen. I got two beers before the game started, but after that forget it: lines were unbelievably long.

I even had my first almost Fight Club experience: involving me. The guy behind us was drunk as a skunk--he looked about 20--and hurling every explative you could imagine at the field. There was a six year old girl sitting next to us. I told him to clean it up and pointed at the girl, he became belligerent. Eventually, he couldn't do much because he was so drunk he was passing out on the bleacher. A friend finally led him away after he was near unconscious.

The joke was these guys had some how snuck down from the UD and walked right by the usher in 161, who wasn't even bothering to check tickets.

It was clear, though, that they had been drinking long before they got to the ballpark, as I overheard one of the friends. I really don't know what the solution is to this. Maybe you give people punch cards and limit the number of beers they can buy over the course of the game?

Hangar18
05-31-2005, 03:13 PM
What do they do when the "big" series come up (cubs, spankees, red cubs)? Can't they just use the staff they would employ for those games for weekend/opening day/half price nights too? I also never understood how they miscalculate walkups so horribly! Two come to mind right away: the KC "Dybass" game is one (First trip back to the Cell for KC after the Gamboa incident, 70 degree weather, first monday night game of the year, first game of a homestand, Royals were 11-4 or something like that), and yesterday. People here on WSI were saying for days that yesterday was probably gonna be a sellout, nobody from the White Sox could figure it out? That's pretty bad planning there. Walkups take place mostly on Mondays and MAYBE holidays. Yesterday was both. Tuesdays aren't so bad anymore walkup-wise because you can order your 1/2 price tix the previous Friday now, so what's so difficult here Sox? Half price, beautiful weather, a holiday to boot, and the Big Hurt coming back? That's an easy one guys.

Tuesdays arent "bad" anymore because nobody wants the 1/2 price ticket in the upperdeck. It looks much better up there, but the service is sloooower than in the lower deck, and add to it that you still cant see whats happening on the field ..........
But yes, theres no excuse anymore. I was so aggravated, I ate and drank NOTHING. I'll pay the $6 for a beer (outrageous) but dont make me wait 3 innings for that same beer .............

robertks61
05-31-2005, 03:17 PM
For the Scrub series they have actually brought in vendors from Detroit & Cincinnati for the overflow.

LVSoxFan
05-31-2005, 03:19 PM
Hey I did UD behind home plate for the Twins game on a Tuesday and it was cool. Great view of the field (if not close) and I didn't mind it at all. The waits for beer were only if you relied on the roving vendors--in the concourse they were fine. Plus they were a bunch of rowdy fans where we were, LOL! Like a bleachers crowd.

Being all the way down the LF or RF line isn't a very fun view, but I don't really mind UD if that's all there is, or for $8 a ticket if that's what it comes out to. I'd love to sit along the rail in the UD and see what that's like--that's where we always ended up in the Old Comiskey.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-31-2005, 03:20 PM
For the Scrub series they have actually brought in vendors from Detroit & Cincinnati for the overflow.

They should all just roll out of bed and report to work! If they're not needed they can go back home and enjoy the day back in Cincinnati and Detroit.

:wink:

Jerko
05-31-2005, 03:42 PM
I'm not sure you intended it, but thanks for listing all the variables that must be projected BEFORE you bring in vendors to work a ballgame with lots and lots of walk ups. Again, you don't KNOW the weather until the morning of the game... so the bigger the walk up the more warm bodies your supervisors must call in to work. Fat chance getting all you need...

If it rains yesterday, how many vendors do you need -- in spite of 1/2 price Monday, in spite of the holiday, in spite of Frank's return?

If they're season ticketholders -- not walk ups -- the math is easy.

I see what you're saying PHG, but I would think they would have already had a full staff scheduled to work yesterday's game and not have to scramble to call anybody in because of the walkups. That game was included in the weekend ST package, and they know those crowds are bigger than most. They were selling SRO tickets too, which really bothers me if they did so knowing they were short-staffed. Take the risk, staff the entire park on a holiday that's included in a ST plan, and let the fans enjoy the game instead of standing in line the whole day (not that they have to). I know they can't do it for every game but yesterday should have been treated as a premium game. I wonder what number is greater, the money they saved on not having a full staff there, or the money not spent at the game yesterday by people who didn't want to wait in line for 3 innings (dont' forget MB was on the mound). Oh well, live and learn. I know they can't predict the weather or the Big Man returning that day!

cheeses_h_rice
05-31-2005, 03:43 PM
Tuesdays arent "bad" anymore because nobody wants the 1/2 price ticket in the upperdeck. It looks much better up there, but the service is sloooower than in the lower deck, and add to it that you still cant see whats happening on the field ..........
But yes, theres no excuse anymore. I was so aggravated, I ate and drank NOTHING. I'll pay the $6 for a beer (outrageous) but dont make me wait 3 innings for that same beer .............

From my casual observations of the concession stands when there's anything resembling a crowd, it appears that the company that owns the concession rights (can't recall their name right now) has a hard time hiring anyone with the skill set needed to man a fast-paced, in-demand food or drink stand. I've got nothing against middle-aged women, but could they at least try to pick women with some life left in their gait, and who can multitask a bit? I swear to god it's as if they picked the worst rejects the U.S. Postal Service has to offer. The food workers aren't just slow, it's like they're going backwards. I used to do that kind of job when I was in college, and it's not hard, but you do have to actually pretend you care.

robertks61
05-31-2005, 03:50 PM
From my casual observations of the concession stands when there's anything resembling a crowd, it appears that the company that owns the concession rights (can't recall their name right now) has a hard time hiring anyone with the skill set needed to man a fast-paced, in-demand food or drink stand. I've got nothing against middle-aged women, but could they at least try to pick women with some life left in their gait, and who can multitask a bit? I swear to god it's as if they picked the worst rejects the U.S. Postal Service has to offer. The food workers aren't just slow, it's like they're going backwards. I used to do that kind of job when I was in college, and it's not hard, but you do have to actually pretend you care.

Just reminded me of another reason I get there early, no long lines!

PaleHoseGeorge
05-31-2005, 03:55 PM
I see what you're saying PHG, but I would think they would have already had a full staff scheduled to work yesterday's game and not have to scramble to call anybody in because of the walkups. ...

Please answer this question: What is the BIG difference between the Sox/Cubs games and ones like yesterday?

Think... think... think... Answer: no walk ups. Those tickets were sold months ago.

The Sox can haul in workers from Detroit and Cincinnati because they KNOW they'll need them. Otherwise these same workers are not needed ALL SEASON LONG.

They can't get here from Cincinnati to work a game filled with WALK UPS! The problem isn't the size of the gate. The problem is the WALK UPS!

Ol' No. 2
05-31-2005, 03:59 PM
From my casual observations of the concession stands when there's anything resembling a crowd, it appears that the company that owns the concession rights (can't recall their name right now) has a hard time hiring anyone with the skill set needed to man a fast-paced, in-demand food or drink stand. I've got nothing against middle-aged women, but could they at least try to pick women with some life left in their gait, and who can multitask a bit? I swear to god it's as if they picked the worst rejects the U.S. Postal Service has to offer. The food workers aren't just slow, it's like they're going backwards. I used to do that kind of job when I was in college, and it's not hard, but you do have to actually pretend you care.I think you hit the nail on the head. Sorry, PHG, but I don't buy the walk-up argument. The difference between a really big walkup and an average one is a few thousand. On top of the 35,000 already there, that's peanuts. I stood in line for hot dogs yesterday and it took half an inning for a line of 5 people. Every stand was fully manned and there were lots of vendors. But they were ungodly slow.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-31-2005, 04:03 PM
I think you hit the nail on the head. Sorry, PHG, but I don't buy the walk-up argument. The difference between a really big walkup and an average one is a few thousand. On top of the 35,000 already there, that's peanuts. I stood in line for hot dogs yesterday and it took half an inning for a line of 5 people. Every stand was fully manned and there were lots of vendors. But they were ungodly slow.

Well, you shouldn't care but I disagree. Food service workers are not known for their speed. These people are at the very bottom of the economic food chain. They wouldn't be serving you food at a ballpark if they weren't.

Expecting them to move fast is an impossibility unless we get a better quality of worker through higher pay (and raise the price of food to serve it to your hungry self) or bring in motivated but illegal aliens willing to work cheap because it's still lots more than they could earn wherever it was they came from.

That's reality.

cheeses_h_rice
05-31-2005, 04:04 PM
My simple tips for improving the lines at the Cell:

-At each register, have one person take the order, fill the drinks, and make change
-At each register or every other register, have one person grabbing the food
-Make common drinks ahead of time (I used to do this all the time at the movie theaters I worked at as a teen in anticipation for the huge surge in demand just before the movie started)
-Have one person act as a sort of "bar back," making sure they don't run out of hot dogs, buns, popcorn, pizza, etc.
-Cut down on the chitchat between coworkers when there are 50 people in line

gobears1987
05-31-2005, 04:04 PM
I was actually able to buy beer from a vendor from my lower reserved outfield seats during the Monday game against Texas. I am not sure what the rules are anymore regarding beer sales.
I was at that game and there was a huge fight in the outfield stands. I was also at yesterday's game. Didn't see any fights.

cheeses_h_rice
05-31-2005, 04:07 PM
Well, you shouldn't care but I disagree. Food service workers are not known for their speed. These people are at the very bottom of the economic food chain. They wouldn't be serving you food at a ballpark if they weren't.

Expecting them to move fast is an impossibility unless we get a better quality of worker through higher pay (and raise the price of food to serve it to your hungry self) or bring in motivated but illegal aliens willing to work cheap because its still lots more than they could earn wherever it was they came from.

That's reality.

George, that's b.s. When I was in high school and college, I worked the concession stand at a few movie theaters, served ice cream at Dispensa's Kiddie Kingdom, and was a combo fry cook/register guy/janitor at the Notre Dame student center. None of these jobs paid squat (IIRC, I made $2.85 an hour at the theaters -- 50 cents an hour below minimum wage), but I still did a good, competent job. I find it hard to believe that there aren't 200 or 300 high school kids or temporarily unemployed adults who could work the concession stands at the Cell more competently than the people there now. It's not as if the stands sell more than 15-20 items; how difficult can it be?

Hangar18
05-31-2005, 04:12 PM

Heres an example from just a few games ago. Hangar gets hungry and heads
to the Concession stand. The bottom of the 2nd inning just ended. Hangar stands in line, about 10 people in front of him. One curmudgeonly old woman is behind the counter. Top of the 3rd inning, and Im finally getting served. I order a Hot Dog, Fries, 2 beers, and Soda. Woman slowwwwwly gets a bun, walks to the hot dog bin, gets a hot dog, wraps it sloowwwly in a bun, then trudges back to me. "Did you say a soda?" YES.
Sloowwly walks towards ice bin, holds cup underneath icemaker and puts way too much ice in cup, before waiting for the soda to slowly drip out into cup. Slowwwly caps the soda, then trudges back to me. "What kind of beer?" 2 lites, and can you hurry, I have to get back to my seat "Honey, im going as fast as I can". She gets 2 cups .......... then shuffles slowly towards the beer dispenser. Slowwwwwly, the first cup begins filling .....
glug glug glug BASE HIT! Another run scores! the Crowd goes wild! Glug glug. "Did you want 2 lites?" YES!!!!!! glug glugl slowwwwwly, she heads back to me, that will be $46 please. She starts punching a bunch of numbers on a register, making me think something scientific is happening, but it isnt. She slooooooowly starts putting my items in a box .......
the whole time im thinking, cant they have one person doing food, one person doing beeer/drinks, one person taking the money???? "Heres your change". Just in time for the 7th inning stretch .......

PaleHoseGeorge
05-31-2005, 04:12 PM
George, that's b.s. When I was in high school and college, I worked the concession stand at a few movie theaters, served ice cream at Dispensa's Kiddie Kingdom, ...

How many college students are working behind the counter at Sox Park? ZERO.

The only college kids working at Sox Park are the vendors working up and down the aisles and (SURPRISE!) they bust their ass because they're working on commission and for tips.

We're talking about two entirely different things here... getting those poor sops behind the counter to move faster is impossible without upgrading their compensation.

Hangar18
05-31-2005, 04:14 PM
My simple tips for improving the lines at the Cell:

-At each register, have one person take the order, fill the drinks, and make change
-At each register or every other register, have one person grabbing the food
-Make common drinks ahead of time (I used to do this all the time at the movie theaters I worked at as a teen in anticipation for the huge surge in demand just before the movie started)
-Have one person act as a sort of "bar back," making sure they don't run out of hot dogs, buns, popcorn, pizza, etc.
-Cut down on the chitchat between coworkers when there are 50 people in line

POTW ! heh heh

cheeses_h_rice
05-31-2005, 04:17 PM
How many college students are working behind the counter at Sox Park? ZERO.

The only college kids working at Sox Park are the vendors working up and down the aisles and (SURPRISE!) they bust their ass because they're working on commission and for tips.

We're talking about two entirely different things here... getting those poor sops behind the counter to move faster is impossible without upgrading their compensation.

I see what you're saying -- if anyone working concessions at the Cell is going to actually put any effort into it, it's the guys and girls patrolling the aisles, plus the Stadium Club personnel (who are good at what they do).

Does anyone know what sort of pay differential exists between the seat vendors vs. concession stand workers? I wonder if the Sox or the concession company takes into account the amount of lost sales as a result of the ridiculous lines. If hiring 2 more people per stand costs an extra $18 an hour, they might want to consider doing that, seeing as the profit on 2 orders probably covers that.

Ol' No. 2
05-31-2005, 04:17 PM

Expecting them to move fast is an impossibility unless we get a better quality of worker through higher pay (and raise the price of food to serve it to your hungry self) or bring in motivated but illegal aliens willing to work cheap because it's still lots more than they could earn wherever it was they came from.

That's reality.It doesn't sound like you're disagreeing at all. I don't expect highly motivated workers at that pay. But in many cases the layout of the stands is working against them. Watch them. It's like a Chinese fire drill most of the time. You place an order and they're scurrying around bumping into one another with everybody in everybody else's way. Hot dog and brat stands have one person grilling (slow step) and two people taking money (fast step), with the result that everyone but the cook is standing around waiting most of the time. A nacho stand had three people working behind a 6 foot long counter, so they spent more time dodging each other's elbows than they did serving food. They could easily streamline the workflow and double the output with the same workers. In fact, they get in each other's way so much that in many cases I think they'd be better off with fewer people.

cheeses_h_rice
05-31-2005, 04:22 PM
It doesn't sound like you're disagreeing at all. I don't expect highly motivated workers at that pay. But in many cases the layout of the stands is working against them. Watch them. It's like a Chinese fire drill most of the time. You place an order and they're scurrying around bumping into one another with everybody in everybody else's way. Hot dog and brat stands have one person grilling (slow step) and two people taking money (fast step), with the result that everyone but the cook is standing around waiting most of the time. A nacho stand had three people working behind a 6 foot long counter, so they spent more time dodging each other's elbows than they did serving food. They could easily streamline the workflow and double the output with the same workers. In fact, they get in each other's way so much that in many cases I think they'd be better off with fewer people.

They need to hire that woman who George Costanza hired to work for the Yankees, who ended up getting the $25,000 raise after George blurted it out to her during sex.

:)

PaleHoseGeorge
05-31-2005, 04:22 PM

Does anyone know what sort of pay differential exists between the seat vendors vs. concession stand workers? I wonder if the Sox or the concession company takes into account the amount of lost sales as a result of the ridiculous lines. If hiring 2 more people per stand costs an extra $18 an hour, they might want to consider doing that, seeing as the profit on 2 orders probably covers that.

We need some industrial management geek from Purdue to do a time-motion study on this matter.

I'm sure there are ways to make work flow more easily behind the counter. However I believe the big limiting factor is the amount of SPACE they have to work with. Each time you add a worker, the amount of SPACE they have to work freely becomes smaller and smaller. This isn't readily apparent until each booth is fully staffed, the line is 10-deep, and the workers are stumbling over one another trying to get change for a $50.

Jerko
05-31-2005, 04:41 PM
Please answer this question: What is the BIG difference between the Sox/Cubs games and ones like yesterday?

Think... think... think... Answer: no walk ups. Those tickets were sold months ago.

The Sox can haul in workers from Detroit and Cincinnati because they KNOW they'll need them. Otherwise these same workers are not needed ALL SEASON LONG.

They can't get here from Cincinnati to work a game filled with WALK UPS! The problem isn't the size of the gate. The problem is the WALK UPS!

I should not have used the Cub series as a comparison. As for walkups, they
are a problem, and Mondays historically draw the most walk ups. I can't believe that nobody in the Sox organization said, before the season, "hmm, that Memorial Day game is on a half price Monday, it's a holiday, and we included that game in our weekend ST plan, there may be a lot of people there that day, I better recruit a few more concession workers". They knew all this before the season started. If it rains, oh well, they bite the bullet for a day. A small price to pay if half the crowd goes home angry and doesn't spend $$$ that day, or worse, don't come back. They usually get caught with their pants down one Monday a year, chalk this one up and hope it doesn't happen again. We need this guy to make the lines go faster:
http://www.wonderfullywacky.com/spongebobkrabbypattythumbn.gif

Hangar18
05-31-2005, 04:50 PM
They knew all this before the season started. If it rains, oh well, they bite the bullet for a day. A small price to pay if half the crowd goes home angry and doesn't spend $$$ that day, or worse, don't come back. They usually get caught with their pants down one Monday a year, chalk this one up and hope it doesn't happen again. We need this guy to make the lines go faster:

This has been a problem since the crowds Dropped off Sharply big time after the 1995 season. The SOX Started cutting back on concession workers, and so when the SOX play well and the crowds come out, theyre caught, pants-down every time. I cant count 25 games over the last few years where they were understaffed, undermanned off the field and On for that matter. One guy should be slinging drinks, the other just taking money, separate the money from the customer as fast as possible (Even uncle jerry can attest to this logic)

Fenway
05-31-2005, 04:58 PM
Question is do the White Sox control the hiring or does my old buddy Jerry Jacobs of Buffalo do it?
http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:z-agle9cfBMJ:www.bearsjobs.com/Bears/SportserviceColorNavy.gif (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.bearsjobs.com/Bears/SportserviceColorNavy.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.bearsjobs.com/home.htm&h=254&w=300&sz=14&tbnid=z-agle9cfBMJ:&tbnh=93&tbnw=110&hl=en&start=77&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dsportservice%26start%3D60%26hl%3Den%2 6lr%3D%26sa%3DN)

My hunch is Buffalo controls the hiring.

http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/uc/20050522/ltm050523.gif

maurice
05-31-2005, 04:59 PM
The service is slow at the Cell even when the crowds are small. Henry's example is all too common. The problem is management . . . or lack thereof. Fast-moving and slow-moving fast-food business hire from the same population of low-paid service workers and pay the same salary. Even at a single fast-food store, service speed can vary depending on which manager is on duty.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-31-2005, 05:01 PM
http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/uc/20050522/ltm050523.gif

Boy, change the section from "Nosebleed" to "bleachers" and that's EXACTLY what Sox Park looks like on 1/2 price Monday.

Toss in a few Lovable Loser caps, too.

:o:

Hangar18
05-31-2005, 05:03 PM
Question is do the White Sox control the hiring or does my old buddy Jerry Jacobs of Buffalo do it?
http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:z-agle9cfBMJ:www.bearsjobs.com/Bears/SportserviceColorNavy.gif (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.bearsjobs.com/Bears/SportserviceColorNavy.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.bearsjobs.com/home.htm&h=254&w=300&sz=14&tbnid=z-agle9cfBMJ:&tbnh=93&tbnw=110&hl=en&start=77&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dsportservice%26start%3D60%26hl%3Den%2 6lr%3D%26sa%3DN)

My hunch is Buffalo controls the hiring.

Can Someone change the logo to say SLOW SERVICE instead? heh heh

Spicoli
05-31-2005, 05:26 PM
I think Hangar et. al. are mostly right; though I also think there are many variables that complicate matters. I have stood in line behind people who think they are the only one at the park and take 15 minutes making up their minds before ordering food and drinks. But the workers themselves oftentimes lack common sense, probably due to a lack of committment to their job.

Ultimately I think some managment and logistical changes to the working areas would go a long way in aleviating the congestion at the stands.

It should be noted that I have (and I assume others will have also) experienced this same problem at many other parks I have seen games in as well.

hose
05-31-2005, 05:44 PM
We need some industrial management geek from Purdue to do a time-motion study on this matter.

I'm sure there are ways to make work flow more easily behind the counter. However I believe the big limiting factor is the amount of SPACE they have to work with. Each time you add a worker, the amount of SPACE they have to work freely becomes smaller and smaller. This isn't readily apparent until each booth is fully staffed, the line is 10-deep, and the workers are stumbling over one another trying to get change for a $50.

I have to believe Ron Popiel could be of some assistance in improving the efficiency of the food booths with a time saving gadget.:cool:

PaleHoseGeorge
05-31-2005, 05:48 PM
I have to believe Ron Popiel could be of some assistance in improving the efficiency of the food booths with a time saving gadget.

Maybe the whining will finally end if Hangar brings his Pocket Fisherman and food dehydrator to the ballpark?

ewokpelts
05-31-2005, 05:49 PM
They need to hire that woman who George Costanza hired to work for the Yankees, who ended up getting the $25,000 raise after George blurted it out to her during sex.

:)
i dont watch seinfeld, so i dont understanda single part of that post....please explain

Fenway
05-31-2005, 05:51 PM
Boy, change the section from "Nosebleed" to "bleachers" and that's EXACTLY what Sox Park looks like on 1/2 price Monday.

Tank was picking on Arizona but it could be anywhere

http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/uc/20050524/ltm050525.gif
http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/uc/20050525/ltm050526.gif

ewokpelts
05-31-2005, 05:54 PM

George,
I completely agree with you. Yesterday was my lone weekday on my weekend package(bleachers), and I had to deal with major white trash a). trying to sit in my seat b) block the aisle(and my view) and c). get beligerent when told not to do a or b....i was told i should be a cub fan because i "cry like they do".
Gene

cheeses_h_rice
05-31-2005, 05:56 PM
i dont watch seinfeld, so i dont understanda single part of that post....please explain

George Costanza (Assistant to the Traveling Secretary) hires the least hottest woman to apply to be his assistant. The woman, it turns out, is incredibly efficient, helping the Yankees save pennies per serving on canola oil for the popcorn concessions, knowing what time food service at certain hotels stops, etc. George, being George, starts getting riled up about how good she is at her job, asks her if she knows what he's thinking of next (she says "I think so"), asks her if it's do-able, and they proceed to consummate their relationship on the floor of George's office (after the secretary advises George on the best/fastest way to remove her bra), during which George screams out "I'M GIVING YOU A RAISE!"

You probably had to see it, but it's funny.

ewokpelts
05-31-2005, 06:03 PM
George Costanza (Assistant to the Traveling Secretary) hires the least hottest woman to apply to be his assistant. The woman, it turns out, is incredibly efficient, helping the Yankees save pennies per serving on canola oil for the popcorn concessions, knowing what time food service at certain hotels stops, etc. George, being George, starts getting riled up about how good she is at her job, asks her if she knows what he's thinking of next (she says "I think so"), asks her if it's do-able, and they proceed to consummate their relationship on the floor of George's office (after the secretary advises George on the best/fastest way to remove her bra), during which George screams out "I'M GIVING YOU A RAISE!"

You probably had to see it, but it's funny.
ok.....i kinda get it...
Gene

cubhater
05-31-2005, 07:51 PM

Nah, makes too much sense.

Brings me back to the security issue....imagine how many fans get turned off by the fools instigating drunken brawls and won't return for awhile because of it. Imagine how much extra $$$ the Sox lose because of it. Hiring a few more security guards won't break the bank on Mondays or Tuesdays.

I can imagine the instigating Cub fans showing up at the next Monday game and finding out the new beer policy. It'll be another reason why going to the Cell s**ks compared to the Urinal.

cubhater
05-31-2005, 07:54 PM
Heres an example from just a few games ago. Hangar gets hungry and heads
to the Concession stand. The bottom of the 2nd inning just ended. Hangar stands in line, about 10 people in front of him. One curmudgeonly old woman is behind the counter. Top of the 3rd inning, and Im finally getting served. I order a Hot Dog, Fries, 2 beers, and Soda. Woman slowwwwwly gets a bun, walks to the hot dog bin, gets a hot dog, wraps it sloowwwly in a bun, then trudges back to me. "Did you say a soda?" YES.
Sloowwly walks towards ice bin, holds cup underneath icemaker and puts way too much ice in cup, before waiting for the soda to slowly drip out into cup. Slowwwly caps the soda, then trudges back to me. "What kind of beer?" 2 lites, and can you hurry, I have to get back to my seat "Honey, im going as fast as I can". She gets 2 cups .......... then shuffles slowly towards the beer dispenser. Slowwwwwly, the first cup begins filling .....
glug glug glug BASE HIT! Another run scores! the Crowd goes wild! Glug glug. "Did you want 2 lites?" YES!!!!!! glug glugl slowwwwwly, she heads back to me, that will be $46 please. She starts punching a bunch of numbers on a register, making me think something scientific is happening, but it isnt. She slooooooowly starts putting my items in a box .......
the whole time im thinking, cant they have one person doing food, one person doing beeer/drinks, one person taking the money???? "Heres your change". Just in time for the 7th inning stretch .......

So you're the guy who slowed down the line for the rest of us!:redneck

chisoxmike
05-31-2005, 07:58 PM

Amen, after 10 mins I just say screw it... its not worth the time and money. Seriously how long can it take to pour a beer and grab some fries.

On the subject of the topic, its true, stupid people ruin everything. Becuase of some drunks (mostly Cubs fans) the real fans that go to games all the time have to suffer becuase some idiots like to get drunk and fight on Monday's. There's nothing wrong with kicking back and having a few at a game, but people go just to get drunk and screw around. Why don't they just kick people wearing Cubs jersey's out. hehehehe. I know that will never happen. Besides, its too damn expensive to drink to the point of getting drunk. $5.50 for a Miller Lite :o:

Pulaski
06-01-2005, 12:04 AM

Something had to be done but this hurts the vendors and the responsible fans who enjoy a few cold ones. The lines at the stands were insane yesterday afternoon. I'd rather see more security and fans police themselves. If you see potential for trouble starting, notify security before it gets out of control.

It sucks, but there is nothing we can do. Thanks to the idiots!

Soxaholic
06-01-2005, 01:36 PM
Mayybe I could help answer some questions and make a few comments.... The main concession stand workers get paid hourly wages. No matter how fast they work (or slow) they get paid the same wage. The Hot Dog/Polish and Brat/Italian stands are paid commission. I work at one and we bust our rear ends to serve the public. Like someone else said, we run into each other a lot and have to move to keep everything filled when the line is down the concourse. If possible, try to avoid the main stands at all costs and go to the Portable stands. You'll be waited on faster than the main stands.

Another thing is that the White Sox staff according to expected attendance for the game maybe a series ahead of time. Rarely are the numbers altered. Only for the Cubs/ All-Star Game are the out of town vendors called in. Everyone else is waiting for their call and many (especially the ushers) work very few games and won't know as much as the ushers between the dugouts. I've seen the pregame talk they tell the ushers prior to the gates opening and they lay out how the game is going to be. Other than holding the usher's hand I don't know how much more they could do.

Sorry for the rant, but I just wanted to give some reasons for why things are so bad at the ballpark.

LVSoxFan
06-01-2005, 01:42 PM
This has been a problem since the crowds Dropped off Sharply big time after the 1995 season. The SOX Started cutting back on concession workers, and so when the SOX play well and the crowds come out, theyre caught, pants-down every time. I cant count 25 games over the last few years where they were understaffed, undermanned off the field and On for that matter. One guy should be slinging drinks, the other just taking money, separate the money from the customer as fast as possible (Even uncle jerry can attest to this logic)

I agree. It's common sense. The assembly line.

Having each employee have to take order/change money/get stuff is absurd.

Fenway
06-01-2005, 01:44 PM

Sorry for the rant, but I just wanted to give some reasons for why things are so bad at the ballpark.

OK so can we assume that the White Sox give SportsService a figure and then they decide how to staff a game?

Just being at USCF a few times this year it is obvious that the team never expects any kind of walk up sale save for tourists in town that hop on the 'L and come down. Plus it makes sense that nobody is going to pay $17 to park if they are not sure they can get a seat.

It is a vicious circle. The White Sox season ticket base is low and that base number is what they use to staff. Season tickets in turn are low because many who have had them in the past couldn't give them away. Now the team is winning that hopefully will change.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-01-2005, 01:55 PM
Mayybe I could help answer some questions and make a few comments.... The main concession stand workers get paid hourly wages. No matter how fast they work (or slow) they get paid the same wage. The Hot Dog/Polish and Brat/Italian stands are paid commission. I work at one and we bust our rear ends to serve the public. Like someone else said, we run into each other a lot and have to move to keep everything filled when the line is down the concourse. If possible, try to avoid the main stands at all costs and go to the Portable stands. You'll be waited on faster than the main stands.

Another thing is that the White Sox staff according to expected attendance for the game maybe a series ahead of time. Rarely are the numbers altered. Only for the Cubs/ All-Star Game are the out of town vendors called in. Everyone else is waiting for their call and many (especially the ushers) work very few games and won't know as much as the ushers between the dugouts. I've seen the pregame talk they tell the ushers prior to the gates opening and they lay out how the game is going to be. Other than holding the usher's hand I don't know how much more they could do.

Thanks for the post. It wasn't a rant at all. I learned things that make perfect sense. I do get better service at the stands rather than the main concession booths. Thanks to you I finally know why: you're working on commission while the booth workers only receive wages.

Your explanation for how clueless the ushers are makes sense, too. But try and explain to Foulke29 who thinks he is entitled to roam freely around the concourse while 200 of these usher-dopes try to keep the seats and aisles clear, forget about bathroom and concession lines under control.

shoota
06-01-2005, 04:26 PM
When I worked in customer service, no matter how much I got paid, I was receptive to customers and worked fast. I got paid much more on Sunday than I did on any other day of the week, but I still worked at the same efficient pace on Wednesday as I did on Sunday. The reason the venders at Comiskey are so slow is because that's the pace they want to work at. If they were given a 10% raise, they would not work 10% faster/better.

The first time I went to Miller Park, I was very impressed with the service I received from the vendors. Comiskey just needs to hire workers who have a better work ethic, workers who take pride in their jobs, no matter how menial it is.

itsnotrequired
06-01-2005, 04:31 PM
When I worked in customer service, no matter how much I got paid, I was receptive to customers and worked fast. I got paid much more on Sunday than I did on any other day of the week, but I still worked at the same efficient pace on Sunday as I did on Wednesday. The reason the venders at Comiskey are so slow is because that's the pace they want to work at. If they were given a 10% raise, they would not work 10% faster/better.

The first time I went to Miller Park, I was very impressed with the service I received from the vendors. Comiskey just needs to hire workers who have a better work ethic, workers who take pride in their jobs, no matter how menial it is.

Right on. I've worked some stints in the ol' food service industry myself. Even though it was low wages, I still wanted to do a good job. I guess it all depends on the person.

I've had nothing but success with vendors this year (knock on wood) so I can't complain about too much. I was at the Monday game in the UD. Didn't have to wait for anything. There was some odd behavior though where people were standing in massive lines at the temporary stands (20 or so deep) while a concorse stand selling the same stuff had tiny lines (5 or so). Perhaps it is the herd mentality.

Soxaholic
06-01-2005, 04:52 PM
I try to work as hard as I can at the ballpark. Everyone here knows that the Sox are not going to set MLB attendance records and so does Sportservice. However, they do staff enough people to do the job correctly. Finding the stand that does that is the hard part.

The White Sox were also selling Standing Room Only tickets on Monday too. That also might have contributed to the 100 Level concession lines.

ChiSoxRowand
06-01-2005, 04:59 PM
Did anyone else in the Upper Deck notice the hot dog people never coming around? I don't know if I was in a crappy section (544) but the hot dog vendor came around the 1st, 2nd, and 9th inning. What the hell is that?:angry:

I sat in the upper tank last night (left field) and I don't think I saw a hot dog vendor the entire game.

ewokpelts
06-01-2005, 05:28 PM
When I worked in customer service, no matter how much I got paid, I was receptive to customers and worked fast. I got paid much more on Sunday than I did on any other day of the week, but I still worked at the same efficient pace on Wednesday as I did on Sunday. The reason the venders at Comiskey are so slow is because that's the pace they want to work at. If they were given a 10% raise, they would not work 10% faster/better.

btw, some of miller park's concession stand are operated by community groups. The GROUP gets paid a percentage of total sales for the whole booth. I also saw this at the Thomas and Mack Center in Las Vegas. Those guys busted thier butts off to keep the lines moving.
Gene

ewokpelts
06-01-2005, 05:30 PM
I try to work as hard as I can at the ballpark. Everyone here knows that the Sox are not going to set MLB attendance records and so does Sportservice. However, they do staff enough people to do the job correctly. Finding the stand that does that is the hard part.

The White Sox were also selling Standing Room Only tickets on Monday too. That also might have contributed to the 100 Level concession lines.
it is my opinion that they SHOULD NOT sell SRO tix. I had a great time dealing with white trash that thought stading room meant they could stand in my way in the middle of the aisle.
Gene

Jerko
06-01-2005, 05:50 PM
it is my opinion that they SHOULD NOT sell SRO tix. I had a great time dealing with white trash that thought stading room meant they could stand in my way in the middle of the aisle.
Gene

They told me a couple years ago that they stopped selling SRO tickets, but I know last year they sold them during the NYY series and they also sold them Monday. I've actually been hassled while IN LINE on the concourse by ushers saying I could not stand there without an SRO ticket, even though I have a season ticket. I guess as ewokpelts says, it's ok to stand in the aisles though. Oh well, I usually avoid Mondays and it seems that's the only day things are really a pain.

ewokpelts
06-01-2005, 05:58 PM
They told me a couple years ago that they stopped selling SRO tickets, but I know last year they sold them during the NYY series and they also sold them Monday. I've actually been hassled while IN LINE on the concourse by ushers saying I could not stand there without an SRO ticket, even though I have a season ticket. I guess as ewokpelts says, it's ok to stand in the aisles though. Oh well, I usually avoid Mondays and it seems that's the only day things are really a pain.none of the yankees games last year sold out...why sell sro seats when there's still upper deck tickets to be sold?
Gene

Jerko
06-01-2005, 09:49 PM
none of the yankees games last year sold out...why sell sro seats when there's still upper deck tickets to be sold?
Gene

That's what I'm still trying to figure out, but I assume it's because SRO cost more than UD. (SRO tix for Memorial day = 13 bucks).