PDA

View Full Version : OLIVO Optioned to Tacoma

Dice
05-31-2005, 11:24 AM
Anybody still think we got screwed out of that trade last year?

Tekijawa
05-31-2005, 11:24 AM
May 30 On Monday, the Seattle Mariners optioned Olivo to Triple-A Tacoma and called up catcher Rene Rivera from Double-A San Antonio. Olivo will try to get his bat going with Tacoma, after batting .145 with no hitting percentage anywhere near .300 in 115 plate appearances this spring.

Advice: Olivo was a key Seattle acquisition in the June 2004 trade that shipped Freddy Garcia to Chicago. Olivo left the White Sox with a .245 average and .403 slugging mark in his first 166 big league games. In 87 games with the Mariners, the 26-year-old catcher has batted .178 and slugged .326. His slide has been steady. He hit .172 this April and .115 in May.

RKMeibalane
05-31-2005, 11:30 AM
I wonder if jeremy will come here and make excuses.

mdep524
05-31-2005, 11:39 AM
May 30 On Monday, the Seattle Mariners optioned Olivo to Triple-A Tacoma and called up catcher Rene Rivera from Double-A San Antonio. Olivo will try to get his bat going with Tacoma, after batting .145 with no hitting percentage anywhere near .300 in 115 plate appearances this spring.

Advice: Olivo was a key Seattle acquisition in the June 2004 trade that shipped Freddy Garcia to Chicago. Olivo left the White Sox with a .245 average and .403 slugging mark in his first 166 big league games. In 87 games with the Mariners, the 26-year-old catcher has batted .178 and slugged .326. His slide has been steady. He hit .172 this April and .115 in May. :(: I hope Miggy turns it around in Tacoma. Good luck Big Mo! :gulp:

Baby Fisk
05-31-2005, 12:02 PM
I wonder if jeremy will come here and make excuses.Come on now, are you trying to sow discord? :cool:

34 Inch Stick
05-31-2005, 12:38 PM
Even if Reed and Olivo reach their full potential I will feel it was an equal trade. That said, I liked Miguel and hope he can turn it around.

Over By There
05-31-2005, 02:28 PM
So does this mean he won't be in the All Star Game this year? I thought the dude was on the way to Cooperstown.

Banix12
05-31-2005, 02:47 PM
What is Dan Wilson telling these hotshot young catchers to make them crash and burn when they get to Seattle? First Ben Davis, now Olivo.

ondafarm
05-31-2005, 02:51 PM
I think the Seattle-White Sox trade was about Garcia for Reed. Olivo for Ben Davis was a bit of a throw in. I think the deal really sunk the White Sox for the second half of last year, because our catching last year was badly in need of improvement. It was improved greatly and I think AJ and Widger are a great combo.

Flight #24
05-31-2005, 03:09 PM
I think the Seattle-White Sox trade was about Garcia for Reed. Olivo for Ben Davis was a bit of a throw in. I think the deal really sunk the White Sox for the second half of last year, because our catching last year was badly in need of improvement. It was improved greatly and I think AJ and Widger are a great combo.

Check Olivo's 2d half stats (or his full year stats!). His hitting wasn't exactly going to be the difference maker for the 2004 Sox.

ondafarm
05-31-2005, 03:42 PM
Check Olivo's 2d half stats (or his full year stats!). His hitting wasn't exactly going to be the difference maker for the 2004 Sox.

It's always hard to judge what a player would do in one lineup versus another. I think Olivo would have done better for the Sox than he did for the Mariners. I know that his game calling would have been more solid for the Sox than it was for the Mariners. Anytime you move a catcher around, they have to start at square one defensively.

Those being said, I do think the Sox got the better end of this trade, at least for right now. Can Guillen keep Garcia producing and pitching like he's capable? If anybody can do it, it's Ozzie.

doublem23
05-31-2005, 03:48 PM
Am I the only one who wouldn't mind seeing the Sox reacquire Miguel? If the deal is right, of course, but you can't think his trade value would be any lower than it already is. The guy did break down and cry when he was traded, maybe a reunion with the organization is what the doctor ordered.

:?:

MUsoxfan
05-31-2005, 03:53 PM
Am I the only one who wouldn't mind seeing the Sox reacquire Miguel? If the deal is right, of course, but you can't think his trade value would be any lower than it already is. The guy did break down and cry when he was traded, maybe a reunion with the organization is what the doctor ordered.

Right now he would be re-acquired as a backup AAA catcher (if we don't already have one of those). The Sox have a catcher surplus

Baby Fisk
05-31-2005, 03:55 PM

Pierzynski & Widger. Two's company, three's...

doublem23
05-31-2005, 03:57 PM
I never said I wanted him and his .145 BA in the Show... Send him back to Birmingham, let him get some ABs, he's 4th on the depth chart after Burke, but see if we can groom him into the catcher of the future for the organization... again.

doublem23
05-31-2005, 03:59 PM
Right now he would be re-acquired as a backup AAA catcher (if we don't already have one of those). The Sox have a catcher surplus

True, but that's right now. Pierzynski is an F/A again next year, IIRC, and the skills have never been in question, rather the attitude. Right now he's helping pilot the best pitching staff in baseball and has been an instrumental part of the team... Don't know if the Sox will be able to hang on to him. Chris Widger and Jaime Burke are both old and will probably never amound to anything more than what they are. Ben Davis sucks.

Flight #24
05-31-2005, 04:09 PM
True, but that's right now. Pierzynski is an F/A again next year, IIRC, and the skills have never been in question, rather the attitude. Right now he's helping pilot the best pitching staff in baseball and has been an instrumental part of the team... Don't know if the Sox will be able to hang on to him. Chris Widger and Jaime Burke are both old and will probably never amound to anything more than what they are. Ben Davis sucks.

IIRC, Sox have arb rights over AJ after 2005. Given the atittude change of the team and his relatively low contract, I'd expect them to either resign him or keep him for next year via arb.

Soxzilla
05-31-2005, 04:32 PM
It's always hard to judge what a player would do in one lineup versus another. I think Olivo would have done better for the Sox than he did for the Mariners. I know that his game calling would have been more solid for the Sox than it was for the Mariners. Anytime you move a catcher around, they have to start at square one defensively.

Those being said, I do think the Sox got the better end of this trade, at least for right now. Can Guillen keep Garcia producing and pitching like he's capable? If anybody can do it, it's Ozzie.

I didn't even think that Miguel Olivo called games when he was with the Sox. But rather Sandy did.

Tekijawa
05-31-2005, 04:34 PM

Ben Davis and Jamie Burke are doing fine down there... Maybe he could back up who ever is in Double A?

Baby Fisk
05-31-2005, 04:36 PM
I didn't even think that Miguel Olivo called games when he was with the Sox. But rather Sandy did.
IIRC, Alomar was "mentoring" Olivo. Who would mentor him if he came back? The Clubhouse Cancer or The Just Glad To Be Here? :?: Olivo needs to find a team with a wizzened older catcher who can guide him. He seems lost otherwise.

santo=dorf
05-31-2005, 05:24 PM
I wonder if jeremy will come here and make excuses.

He'll probably use Olivo's numbers as a way to bash KW for trading Chad Bradford for him. :rolleyes:

A. Cavatica
05-31-2005, 11:27 PM
Allegedly, Seattle was interested in acquiring Crede in that deal. Reacquire Olivo and a prospect for Crede?

Jurr
06-01-2005, 05:18 PM
I love Olivo, but check this out.

http://www.komotv.com/stories/37124.htm

Poor Mo. His plate and game calling problems continue. I hope he gets it turned around. Looks like KW made a very VERY wise move (for those still pissed about picking up Freddy for "Mr.Messiah" Reed and Big Mo.)

mccoydp
06-01-2005, 05:24 PM
But Miguel was such a nice kid; he got along with everybody. That's a reason why he should have been kept!

DaleJRFan
06-01-2005, 05:24 PM
5/31/05 Recalled INF Mike Morse from Triple-A Tacoma and designated INF Wilson Valdez for assignment

Got rid of one former white sox player and called up another from the Freddy Garcia trade. We'll have to start a Mike Morse watch thread now.

Unregistered
06-01-2005, 05:26 PM
Old news.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=51204

DaleJRFan
06-01-2005, 05:39 PM
As time passes... this trade is AMAZING for the White Sox. The Mariners are starved for starting pitching. We're not!

6/27/04

Acquired C Miguel Olivo, minor league OF Jeremy Reed and minor league INF Michael Morse from the Chicago White Sox in exchange for P Freddy Garcia, C Ben Davis and cash considerations.

Just read that transaction announcement and think about it for a minute, considering recent news and player performance... this trade looks better and better every day.

Jurr
06-01-2005, 05:49 PM
Old news.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=51204
My bad. Maybe the mods will make this bad boy disappear.

Dolanski
06-01-2005, 06:14 PM
Too bad for Miguel. Lots of potential has turned into very little so far. This trade probably won't look so unfavorable for the Mariners in a couple of years when Jeremy Reed is tearing the league a new one. Then again, WS title here would make it all worth it...

Uncle_Patrick
06-01-2005, 07:05 PM
As time passes... this trade is AMAZING for the White Sox.

What are you talking about? They've already started engraving Jeremy Reed's HOF plaque.

Brian26
06-01-2005, 08:45 PM
I remember some people here saying that Morse would never come close to making it to the major leagues.

Daver
06-01-2005, 09:11 PM
I remember some people here saying that Morse would never come close to making it to the major leagues.

If the Mariners actually called him up, they are beyond desperate.

Mike Morse is brutal.

A. Cavatica
06-01-2005, 09:15 PM
As time passes... this trade is AMAZING for the White Sox. The Mariners are starved for starting pitching. We're not!

Garcia was a FA this winter. The Mariners could have re-signed him as easily as we could, trade notwithstanding.

Brian26
06-01-2005, 09:22 PM
Garcia was a FA this winter. The Mariners could have re-signed him as easily as we could, trade notwithstanding.

Part of the reason KW worked the trade was because he knew Garcia would be fairly easy to sign to a deal because of his relationship with Ozzie. Didn't they agree to a deal about 3 weeks after the trade?

jdm2662
06-01-2005, 10:42 PM
Part of the reason KW worked the trade was because he knew Garcia would be fairly easy to sign to a deal because of his relationship with Ozzie. Didn't they agree to a deal about 3 weeks after the trade?

Yes, and considering how expensive pitching was this off-season, the Sox got a pretty good deal.
________
Medical cannabis (http://medicalmarijuana.us/)

DrCrawdad
06-02-2005, 02:12 AM
Comment by a Mariners fan;

I'd rather see ANYONE start at catcher over Olivo. If that means a AAA .240-hitting Christiansen...bring him on.

MHOUSE
06-02-2005, 07:19 PM
The fact that we got Freddy and signed him to that extension right away for less than Clement, Pavano, Wright, etc. (FA pitchers comparable in age and production) got in the offseason makes this whole trade worth it. We had a surplus of outfielders and they wanted Olivo so KW made the deal that got Freddy here. I liked Mo a lot and wish him the best though. Hopefully he can turn it around soon, except when he plays us....:D:

JB98
06-02-2005, 07:53 PM
If the Mariners actually called him up, they are beyond desperate.

Mike Morse is brutal.

Previously, the Mariners tried Pokey Reese and Wilson Valdez at shortstop. Desperate indeed. Do you suppose they're kicking themselves for letting Carlos Guillen get away?

wdelaney72
06-03-2005, 02:24 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see AJ extended some time this season. I like AJ, I like Chris Widger. I also like Jamie Burke waiting in the wings. I wish Miguel all the best, but I don't want him anywhere near the White Sox farm system.

doublem23
06-03-2005, 02:27 PM

Garcia was supposed to be an F/A in the winter, but he signed a contract extension with the White Sox (for well under the market value for pitching) during the 2nd half of the '04 season.

KW = Thief.

34 Inch Stick
06-03-2005, 02:35 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see AJ extended some time this season. I like AJ, I like Chris Widger. I also like Jamie Burke waiting in the wings. I wish Miguel all the best, but I don't want him anywhere near the White Sox farm system.

I believe there is a club option on AJ for next year. I have a suspicion the Sox are going to make a move on a Japanese catcher this off season. This is all based on one comment KW made to Bruce Levine before ST, but that is more information than KW usually releases.

Tekijawa
06-03-2005, 02:43 PM
I believe there is a club option on AJ for next year. I have a suspicion the Sox are going to make a move on a Japanese catcher this off season. This is all based on one comment KW made to Bruce Levine before ST, but that is more information than KW usually releases.

AJ is in his last year of Arbitration next year...

WhiteSoxFan84
06-03-2005, 03:50 PM
I was talking to a Mariners fan last night who is in my fantasy baseball league and man does he hate Olivo and Reed. He thinks the M's got screwed in the trade and made the deal out of desperation. I asked him how Reed was doing and he told me that up until a few weeks ago he completely sucked. I believe he's batting 8th now.

Stupid Kenny. Stupid Kenny. Horrible move. HAH!

WhiteSoxFan84
06-03-2005, 03:50 PM

wasnt that before the sox picked up AJ?