PDA

View Full Version : Ron Kittle on Barry Bonds

RKMeibalane
05-31-2005, 07:56 AM
Link (http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/311sd2.htm)

I don't want to hear anybody try to defend Barry Bonds again. The man is complete scum, whichever way you slice it.

Baby Fisk
05-31-2005, 09:06 AM
755: long may you stand.

mccoydp
05-31-2005, 09:11 AM
Ahhhh, Barry Bonds....

I would post what I really think of him, but I really like posting on this site, and don't want to get banned....whould rather not incur the wrath of FWC or VoodooChile.

I think his words and actions are classless, and are not keeping with the spirit of the game. IMHO, Barry tends to regularly forget who he is being paid to entertain.

He has nothing to be bitter about. Baseball has made him a millionaire many times over.

34 Inch Stick
05-31-2005, 12:36 PM
The man has had a pampered life since birth. As the son of a baseball star he has not known the struggle of the average African American nor has he done much of substance to help that struggle. Still, time and again I hear him make racially incendiary comments as if he had to overcome the difficulties of racism to get where he is today. From the days of his dissatisfaction with Andy Van Slyke, through his problems with Matt Williams and up until his Ruth comments the guy has shown he has a problem with white people.

PaulDrake
05-31-2005, 01:20 PM
Not all white people.

ondafarm
05-31-2005, 02:42 PM
Folks (I may get banned on this one, but . . .)

I still think Barry Bonds can be a decent human being or at least was a decent human being at one time.

Or let me rephrase that.

If you say he was pampered as a child and led an easy life, then paint me with the same brush.

When he and I were 8 years old, we shared a hospital room in Phoenix for a few days. He was rambuncous, fun and mischevious and I'm amazed the night staff didn't lock the two of us in our room. I remember his dad visiting him and mildly suggesting that he (Barry) not be so active. I introduced my dad to his dad as "Barry's dad" (my dad said, I'm a fan of "Mr Bonds".) I was also able to introduce Barry to Joe Black, a friend of my dad's from work (Greyhound Corporation) and a former major league pitcher.

Now, I can't vouch for Barry anytime after he was eight, but as a kid he wasn't racist or a snob or a jerk, at least anymore than me.

RKMeibalane
05-31-2005, 03:16 PM
Folks (I may get banned on this one, but . . .)

I still think Barry Bonds can be a decent human being or at least was a decent human being at one time.

Or let me rephrase that.

If you say he was pampered as a child and led an easy life, then paint me with the same brush.

When he and I were 8 years old, we shared a hospital room in Phoenix for a few days. He was rambuncous, fun and mischevious and I'm amazed the night staff didn't lock the two of us in our room. I remember his dad visiting him and mildly suggesting that he (Barry) not be so active. I introduced my dad to his dad as "Barry's dad" (my dad said, I'm a fan of "Mr Bonds".) I was also able to introduce Barry to Joe Black, a friend of my dad's from work (Greyhound Corporation) and a former major league pitcher.

Now, I can't vouch for Barry anytime after he was eight, but as a kid he wasn't racist or a snob or a jerk, at least anymore than me.

The problem is that he's not a decent human being now. He acts like a jerk in public and makes everyone feel as though they are beneath him. His stunt with Kittle was just plain low. If he couldn't find it in his heart to help critically ill children- solely because Kittle was white- then he can rot in hell for all I care. It's people like him who make the world a difficult place to be sometimes.

fquaye149
05-31-2005, 03:23 PM
It's getting harder and harder to even start to defend the man, so I think I'm not even going to try.

Well Barry, people have been trying to give you the benefit of the doubt for years. And even if you don't mean the things you said and did, you sure worked hard to make it look like you did.

A damn shame.

DumpJerry
05-31-2005, 03:24 PM
I guess Someone Else also dissaproves of BB's behavior. Hence the repeated incidents keeping him out of action this year and forever more........

Irishsox1
05-31-2005, 03:30 PM
I wonder if Barry signed Victor Conti's bottle of "The Clear"?

Poor Kitty, I remember at Old Comiskey somebody threw a D sized battery that hit him.

chaerulez
05-31-2005, 03:51 PM
Not surprising that Dusty Baker comes in to the rescue and defends that weasel. He might be the only manager in baseball that would try and make an excuse for a player that did that.

ondafarm
05-31-2005, 03:57 PM
Hold on please !!!

I am not defending Barry Bonds actions now.

White or black, it sounds to me like he is a grade A jerk.

My post intended to object to the observation that he has always been a jerk, which I disagree with.

I also had a classmate who played baseball with him at ASU and he tells me the guy was arrogant then, but not racist or hideously self-serving, like he sounds like now.

Not a life time offender that's all I want to say.

Uncle_Patrick
05-31-2005, 04:03 PM
Its sad that a guy with such talent is such a lousy human being. I'm curious as to what kind of national attention this will get. With Barry previous claims about a white media not wanting to see him to succeed because he's black (ignoring the fact that his personality turns most people off, not his skin color), I wonder how many people will be surprised about his comments to Kittle. Its distressing to think that as far as race relations have come in baseball and in America that a very successful athlete (whose salary has been paid by a large number of white people) can only see things in black and white. What's more distressing is the fact that if it becomes a big deal, there will be people out their defending him.

DickAllen72
05-31-2005, 04:41 PM
Can you imagine the outrage if John Rocker made that comment?

RKMeibalane
05-31-2005, 04:54 PM
Can you imagine the outrage if John Rocker made that comment?

I thought about that this morning, only I imagined someone like Chipper Jones saying it. People would be screaming for his head if he made a comment like that. I agree with chaerulez about Baker. I wasn't the least bit surprised that he made excuses for Barry, though at least he took the time to give Kittle a team-signed baseball to help the kids.

Bonds cotinues to prove what a gigantic piece of **** he really is. Somebody needs to pull the plug on this idiot. If I'm Bud Selig, Bonds' outburst with Kittle earns him a suspension when he returns from the DL. Racism is racism regardless of when it happened, and this type of behavior needs to be punished.

ScottsdaleSoxFan
05-31-2005, 04:58 PM
Bonds has offended me personally as a Jew for his past comments and he is just a racist. There is no other way to slice it. I find it hard to believe that anyone looks up to a cheater and a racist.

shoota
05-31-2005, 05:08 PM
The man has had a pampered life since birth. As the son of a baseball star he has not known the struggle of the average African American nor has he done much of substance to help that struggle. Still, time and again I hear him make racially incendiary comments as if he had to overcome the difficulties of racism to get where he is today. From the days of his dissatisfaction with Andy Van Slyke, through his problems with Matt Williams and up until his Ruth comments the guy has shown he has a problem with white people.

Also, didn't he and Jeff Kent go at it in the dugout one year?

I kind of had my suspicions about Barry Bonds before reading this, but now reading Kittle's published story...I don't think much of Bonds the man.

SaltyPretzel
05-31-2005, 05:44 PM
It's pretty ironic that cancer would later kill Barry's father.

34 Inch Stick
05-31-2005, 06:33 PM
Also, didn't he and Jeff Kent go at it in the dugout one year?

I kind of had my suspicions about Barry Bonds before reading this, but now reading Kittle's published story...I don't think much of Bonds the man.

I believe he had his problems with Kent, but the examples I cited were instances where race was made an issue in the problem.

RKMeibalane
05-31-2005, 06:37 PM
I believe he had his problems with Kent, but the examples I cited were instances where race was made an issue in the problem.

Yeah, I don't think his fued with Kent was race-related. According to Skip Clueless, the Bonds-Kent situation was the result of both of them wanting to be "the man" in the Bay Area. I'm not sure what possessed Kent to think he's a better player than Bonds, but it wouldn't surprise me if this were true. Nobody has a higher opinion of Jeff Kent than Jeff Kent, and as for Bonds, I think this thread speaks for itself.

row18
05-31-2005, 11:21 PM
We all know Bond's a jerk, but why did Baker, Williams , and the rest allow this bs. I'm pretty sure this was not the first time he made such comments.
Hey Barry I'm pretty sure White people sign for you (Paychecks).

SpartanSoxFan
06-01-2005, 12:14 AM
We all know Bond's a jerk, but why did Baker, Williams , and the rest allow this bs. I'm pretty sure this was not the first time he made such comments.
Hey Barry I'm pretty sure White people sign for you (Paychecks).

Baker's downfall was the same then as it is now. He is too much of a player's manager, to the point that he will let a superstar walk all over him and his other players and get away with this crap that he did to Kittle. He wants everyone to like him no matter what. He lets the superstar have free reign. Why else would he allow SHAM-ME to be a stupid ignoramus in the clubhouse while his teammates all want to kill him???

I want Mags back
06-07-2005, 01:17 PM
link (http://www.suntimes.com/output/roeper/cst-nws-roep06.html)

Barry Bonds, it seems, isn't just another surly, petulant, selfish superstar.

He's a racist.

Taking stock in Bonds

Former White Sox outfielder and American League Rookie of the Year Ron Kittle has a new book titled Ron Kittle's Tales from the White Sox Dugout. Kittle -- a solid, likable guy who hardly has a reputation for stretching the truth or sensationalizing things -- writes that when he approached Bonds in the Wrigley Field visitors' clubhouse in 1993, the encounter quickly went sour. He had a couple of Bonds' game-worn jerseys and he asked Bonds to sign them for a golf fund-raiser for children with cancer.

"I paid about $110 of my own money for [the jerseys] so they could be auctioned off at the golf outing," writes Kittle. "I did that all the time for stars like Mark McGwire, Sammy Sosa, Derek Jeter and Roger Clemens . . . every player gladly signs -- with one exception.

"I walked up to Bonds at his locker . . . introduced myself and said, 'Barry, if you sign these, they'll bring in a lot of money for kids who need help.'

"Bonds stood up, looked me in the eye and said, 'I don't sign for white people.' If lightning hits me today, I will swear those exact words. Matt Williams and other Giants were in the room and they heard what Bonds said. "I said, 'White guys aren't the only ones who get cancer,' but Bonds had turned his back on me and walked out of the clubhouse."

gobears1987
06-08-2005, 10:25 AM
Baker's downfall was the same then as it is now. He is too much of a player's manager, to the point that he will let a superstar walk all over him and his other players and get away with this crap that he did to Kittle. He wants everyone to like him no matter what. He lets the superstar have free reign. Why else would he allow SHAM-ME to be a stupid ignoramus in the clubhouse while his teammates all want to kill him???
Ozzie is also a player's manager, but we damn well know he won't allow players to get away with stuff. He won't get walked on either, see Ordonez, Magglio.

Chips
08-19-2005, 08:41 AM
Just bought the book after Tuesdays game, and its pretty good.

chitownhawkfan
08-19-2005, 01:45 PM
I thought the lowest thing Bonds did was trot his kid out as a pawn to the media. Does anybody remember that, when he was sitting on a golf cart, "Look what you have done to my kid, blah blah blah" I felt awful for that kid. This world might be racist Barry, but the one place it isnt is professional sports, give me a break.

Rooney4Prez56
08-19-2005, 10:54 PM
It'll be interesting to see if he can be healthy enough to play. Without the juice..he may break a hip swinging for the fences.

Trav
08-19-2005, 11:14 PM
It'll be interesting to see if he can be healthy enough to play. Without the juice..he may break a hip swinging for the fences.

He was a great player before he juiced it up. Now he is old, injury prone, and hasn't played the game right in so long that it is doubtfull he will hang around long. Then again, he may have been finding a new, untestable substance and will be better than ever.