PDA

View Full Version : Tons of Sox references in CBS Sportsline's "2 month report"

Bisco Stu
05-31-2005, 02:21 AM
http://cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/story/8519487 (http://</u><font%20color=)

Read all five pages, there's references on every page pretty much.

PAPChiSox729
05-31-2005, 05:15 PM
Top overacheiving teams
1. Chicago White Sox: Their offense ranks ninth in the American League in runs scored, yet the White Sox have the best record in baseball? Their pitching has been superb and yes, to be 17 games over .500 the overachievement of the year.

I really don't think the Sox are overacheiving. Their offense will get better once Frank is back (and ready to stay) and the pitching really shouldn't falter that much. Though I'm sure we probably won't win 108 games (which is the current pace we are on), we could easily win 93+. Other than that, it doesn't seem to be too bad...

illinibk
05-31-2005, 06:07 PM
I really don't think the Sox are overacheiving. Their offense will get better once Frank is back (and ready to stay) and the pitching really shouldn't falter that much. Though I'm sure we probably won't win 108 games (which is the current pace we are on), we could easily win 93+. Other than that, it doesn't seem to be too bad...
How isn't that overachieving? Given the offensive output, (the pythagoreum predicts only a .597 winning percentage compared to the current .667 winning percentage) I certainly think that is overachieving. Overachieving is simply surpassing expectations. How many people (and I am talking about fans, not just the mediots) actually expected the Sox to be 17 games over .500 at the end of May (or 19 games over six days ago)?

PAPChiSox729
05-31-2005, 06:22 PM
How isn't that overachieving? Given the offensive output, (the pythagoreum predicts only a .597 winning percentage compared to the current .667 winning percentage) I certainly think that is overachieving. Overachieving is simply surpassing expectations. How many people (and I am talking about fans, not just the mediots) actually expected the Sox to be 17 games over .500 at the end of May (or 19 games over six days ago)?

Well with your definition of surpassing expectations, which is probably the more accurate definition, you are right.
:redface:

I just took it as meaning that since we are 'overacheiving', then that would lead to a drop off in our team's performance. And I don't think that this drop off will be as bad as many in the media think it will be. I hope this clears things up.

illinibk
05-31-2005, 06:37 PM
Well with your definition of surpassing expectations, which is probably the more accurate definition, you are right.
:redface:

I just took it as meaning that since we are 'overacheiving', then that would lead to a drop offin our team's performance. And I don't think that this drop off will be as bad as many in the media think it will be. I hope this clears things up.
Fair enough. I see your point and can see how you can infer that from that article. I do agree with you that the dropoff won't be as severe as those in the media think (or would like). I think 93 wins is realizsts; afterall that is only seven games over .500 for the rest of the way.