PDA

View Full Version : SI: Sox are in BIIIIIGGG Trouble

dcb33
05-31-2005, 02:20 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/john_donovan/05/30/orioles.sox/index.html

Oooooooo... I'm shakin' in my boots. If John Donovan says we're in trouble, big trouble, it must be true. My God, it's awful Jon Garland's record has fallen to an unacceptable 8-2, the Twins lead is only 3.5 games, and I don't know how the Sox expect to win when their "closer", Shingo Takatsu, is getting lit up like a Christmas tree.

NUCatsFan
05-31-2005, 02:42 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/john_donovan/05/30/orioles.sox/index.html

Oooooooo... I'm shakin' in my boots. If John Donovan says we're in trouble, big trouble, it must be true. My God, it's awful Jon Garland's record has fallen to an unacceptable 8-2, the Twins lead is only 3.5 games, and I don't know how the Sox expect to win when their "closer", Shingo Takatsu, is getting lit up like a Christmas tree.

Ahem....it's at 4 now, after today. :)

Banix12
05-31-2005, 03:22 AM
It's nice how a writer gets panicky after a 4-5 road trip (which included two starts by a rookie pitcher). Winning a series against the cubs was great, splitting at Anaheim where the sox usually stuggle could have been better but not bad. As for the Texas series, It was a matter of facing a team at the wrong time, Texas is just playing amazing ball right now, all the bats are hot at once and that's hard to stop.

The fact that the lead has shrunk to 4 games over the twins (wasn't it only as high as a six game lead this season anyway?) speaks to how well the twins have been playing this year as well. I give the twins full credit, even though the sox have jumped out in the lead with an amazing start, the twins are hanging in there and likely will hang in there all season.

owensmouth
05-31-2005, 09:59 AM
What they're really afraid of is that the best block fight in baseball this year will be played out far from Yankee Stadium and the Fenway dump. Imagine if they hafta go to all the trouble of learning the names of players in the midwest.

balke
05-31-2005, 10:03 AM
I believe the Red Sox were up on the Yankees early last season, and everyone said the Yanks were going to pass them up at some time. Eventually they did... just to be beaten in the playoffs by them.

samram
05-31-2005, 10:24 AM
So it might be a little early to say the Sox and O's won't make the postseason. But it's not "too early" any more to say they're in trouble. Big, big trouble.

Um, they're both in first by four games, yes? So isn't the question whether it's too early to say they will make the postseason? Oh, I get it- he's saying, uh, he, uh, no, I don't get it.

mccoydp
05-31-2005, 10:43 AM
The SI writer is a dope.

The Sox took a split with the Orioles, two of of three from the Rangers in Chicago, two of three from the Scrubs, a split with Anaheim, and lost two straight in a rain shortened series with Texas in Texas. I hardly think that this record classifies as trouble by any means. Although in ugly fashion, they won the first game from the Angels yesterday.

The Sox played pretty well through a tough stretch of games. Texas in particular is a hot-hitting team right now.

Garland is going to lose some games during the season. That's a fact. Blackjack McDowell got rocked a quite a few times back in '93/'94. Did that make him a bad pitcher? Nope.

Shingo's a non-issue; he's already been replaced by Dustin as the closer. At least Ozzie had the foresight to replace him before he started blowing saves left and right like Billy Koch last season.

El Duque isn't going to be an innings eater this season, but he is doing very well in his current role.

How much longer are sports writers going to go on and on about Ozzie Guillen? If they're referring to the Magglio back-and-forth, that was quite a while ago. Get over it.

A four game lead over the Twins is still bigger than any lead the Sox had over them last year.

All in all, this is pretty much what I expect from SI.

HebrewHammer
05-31-2005, 11:14 AM
When did Homefish get a job with SI?

TDog
05-31-2005, 11:35 AM
What I find interesting is the hostility many show for the White Sox, and in this case the Orioles as well. It would sound like a whine to suggest writers would be all over the Cubs if they were 4 games up at the close of Memorial Day. Instead, think of the Royals of a couple of seasons ago who got off to a hot start and became media darlings. The Royals had a lot less going for them than the White Sox do this year, but that was part of their charm. It was so much a part of their charm that the next season these bonehead experts looked at the Royals and picked them to challenge the Twinks for the division. After finishing a distant last, the Royals have faded from their radar. Coming into this year it was the resurgent Indians and Tigers that were supposed to challenge the Twinks for the title. People would love to love the Royals, Indians or Tigers while they're loving the Twinks. Torii Hunter is such a great interview, they have to love the Twinks.

The truth is, the White Sox have a pretty good team. It's too bad that isn't a good story.

Palehose13
05-31-2005, 11:45 AM
Hey guys...he did write something kinda positive:

If I'm picking which of these teams, the Orioles or White Sox, has a better chance of making the postseason, I'm going with the White Sox. If their starting pitching stays this good -- a huge question mark in my book -- the Sox play the type of scrape-it-out ball that can win in the AL Central. The Twins will be right there, though, and they're still the favorites.

'til he ruined it with that crap about the twins.

mdep524
05-31-2005, 11:51 AM
I just don't understand why everyone has a personal outrage with the White Sox. Brantley, Phillips, this guy.... Picking the Sox for 4th place, or saying they won't hold up is one thing (we don't care anyway), but why is there a palpable HATRED for the Sox everywhere?

ON2 likes to say it is because the Sox are making the so-called "experts'" preseason predictions look foolish, but like TDog said, when the Royals did it in '03 they were media darlings. The Cardinals were largely picked for 3rd place in the NL Central last year...and they ended up with the best record in baseball...but I don't remember anybody trashing them midseason the way they're trashing the Sox-the team with the unexpected best record in baseball this year. And obviously if the Cubs did anything the whole country would be on stand by.

What gives?

SoxRule72
05-31-2005, 11:53 AM
Whew. I was worried they were on the cover when I saw the headline.

Palehose13
05-31-2005, 12:25 PM
I just don't understand why everyone has a personal outrage with the White Sox. Brantley, Phillips, this guy.... Picking the Sox for 4th place, or saying they won't hold up is one thing (we don't care anyway), but why is there a palpable HATRED for the Sox everywhere?

ON2 likes to say it is because the Sox are making the so-called "experts'" preseason predictions look foolish, but like TDog said, when the Royals did it in '03 they were media darlings. The Cardinals were largely picked for 3rd place in the NL Central last year...and they ended up with the best record in baseball...but I don't remember anybody trashing them midseason the way they're trashing the Sox-the team with the unexpected best record in baseball this year. And obviously if the Cubs did anything the whole country would be on stand by.

What gives?

"They" don't like us and I'm fine with it. Do you want to be a "media darling"? I sure as hell don't. I'll take the "bad boy" reputation.

chuckn98229
05-31-2005, 03:06 PM
I don't understand the hostility from the mediots, either. Do you think it could have something to do with the owner? Or perhaps the cubune media empire is more insidious than we thought? Regardless, they can all go take a flying leap.

Flight #24
05-31-2005, 04:24 PM
I don't understand the hostility from the mediots, either. Do you think it could have something to do with the owner? Or perhaps the cubune media empire is more insidious than we thought? Regardless, they can all go take a flying leap.

My personal opinion: Sox fans don't think of the team as "loveable", they focus on results. Chicago media doesn't think of the team as "loveable", they're biased against it. Even Sox players for the most part aren't that well known around the country except for Frank (who's not exactly been media friendly or treated well by the writers), and maybe Ozzie.

So it's not hard for me to believe that national media start out with a negative feeling towards the Sox, which combined with the team continuing to make them look like idiots, brings out the rear ends in them.

Fake Chet Lemon
05-31-2005, 04:46 PM

It has to do with they all picked us for 4th and they have to cover their credibility and their arses. The SOX are exposing them for the fools that they are and they ARE HOT :angry: !

nasox
05-31-2005, 07:28 PM
Does this have the opposite of the SI curse? Because then he can write all the smack he wants to about the sox.

Hitmen77
05-31-2005, 11:41 PM
According to the media, the Sox are in BIIGGGG trouble after coming out essentially even against a series of tough teams. The Cubs, on the other hand, win against the pathetic Astros and Rockies and "they've turned their season around" and are "headed in the right direction".

Nah, I don't see any media bias. Sox fans are just paranoid.

chisoxmike
05-31-2005, 11:45 PM
Ahem....it's at 4 now, after today. :)

5... dont be shy. :D:

TDog
06-01-2005, 01:08 AM
I wouldn't want the Sox to be media darlings, really. How often -- before last October -- does the sentimental favorite even get to the World Series? It's that everybody seems to demand the Sox must have a lousy team because they're the Sox.

I came of age with the team in 1970. I grew up being surprised when they win, and I'm never surprised when they lose. Let me enjoy it when they're having a winning season.

One advantage to not having television is that I don't have to put up with the ESPN garbage.

mdep524
06-01-2005, 01:17 PM
"They" don't like us and I'm fine with it. Do you want to be a "media darling"? I sure as hell don't. I'll take the "bad boy" reputation. Media darling? No thank you. That's not our style. :cool: I really don't care if they like us or not. Still, I just don't understand WHY.

I don't think we have a bad boy reputation in the late 80s/early 90s Detroit Pistons sense, it's more of a condescending, irrelevant tone, and I don't care for that.

SOXSINCE'70
06-01-2005, 03:42 PM
A 5 game lead on June 1st.Yeah,the Sox are in trouble alright.:roflmao: :roflmao:

JohnBasedowYoda
06-01-2005, 06:24 PM
these meda-clowns are the same lot that said we wouldn't be able to hold a lead into the season by any means. and here we are with a 5 game lead to start up june.

Crede?NOOO!!!!!
06-01-2005, 06:52 PM
I read this article.

Ohh no the white sox went 4-5 on a road trip and is now about to sweep the angels. The only reason they and the twins are doing well is because their division is bad. The AL East has the powerhouse Devil Rays to play and the Best two teams in baseball. The Red Sox and Yankees. Eastern biased media drivel

sorry for the rant.

r0wdyxc
06-01-2005, 07:23 PM
Did the article say only 3.5 game lead? Aren't these the same idiots who said it was too early in the season to think about division leads?