PDA

View Full Version : Sox, Twins, June Matchups

seanpmurphy
05-31-2005, 12:58 AM
Hopefully no one's brought this up already, if so I apologize. If any one else had their curiousity stroked like me and checked the Twins and White Sox June schedule, its almost identical. With a couple exceptions, the Sox and Twins will be facing off against the same teams. Cleveland, San Diego, Arizona, LA Dodgers, Kansas City, and Detroit.

Would be comparing how the Twins and Sox fair against the same opponents be a legitimate way to compare the teams head-to-head? I think if the Sox can beat these teams and the Twins can't, that says A LOT. At the same time, the opposite also says a lot.

If you disagree, please don't tear into me. I'm just trying to bring something to attention. What do you guys think about the upcoming month?

chisoxmike
05-31-2005, 01:02 AM
The Twins are going to be there all season long, I wouldn't be surprised if they jump into first at some point of the season.

The Twins are pesky, annoying, and always find a way to win. They're a good team like the Sox. And like the Sox they will beat teams they should.

For June I think the Sox will win 16 games. Hopefully that keeps them in first. :smile:

SpartanSoxFan
05-31-2005, 01:05 AM
Hopefully no one's brought this up already, if so I apologize. If any one else had their curiousity stroked like me and checked the Twins and White Sox June schedule, its almost identical. With a couple exceptions, the Sox and Twins will be facing off against the same teams. Cleveland, San Diego, Arizona, LA Dodgers, Kansas City, and Detroit.

Would be comparing how the Twins and Sox fair against the same opponents be a legitimate way to compare the teams head-to-head? I think if the Sox can beat these teams and the Twins can't, that says A LOT. At the same time, the opposite also says a lot.

If you disagree, please don't tear into me. I'm just trying to bring something to attention. What do you guys think about the upcoming month?

This is somewhat discouraging. I was hoping the Twinks were going to get their fair share of tough AL opponents like we have in the past few weeks and we would enjoy a break by beating up on some bottom dwellers to extend our lead in the division. Oh well, I guess all we will have to do is continue beating them when we play them...

ShoelessJoeS
05-31-2005, 01:11 AM
i like that were playing kc, cleveland and detroit again as the sox are 18-4 against the central. hopefully they can just play well against the best three teams in the nl west

seanpmurphy
05-31-2005, 01:19 AM
i like that were playing kc, cleveland and detroit again as the sox are 18-4 against the central. hopefully they can just play well against the best three teams in the nl west

Yeah. I'm really hoping we can take 2/3 in most of these series. Hopefully some sweeps even. Cubs, Rockies, KC? The potential is there....

It's time to man up. No more games like today. Ever.

CHISOXFAN13
05-31-2005, 01:22 AM
This is somewhat discouraging. I was hoping the Twinks were going to get their fair share of tough AL opponents like we have in the past few weeks and we would enjoy a break by beating up on some bottom dwellers to extend our lead in the division. Oh well, I guess all we will have to do is continue beating them when we play them...

The Yankees will be in the dome this weekend, while we get a crack at the Indians, a team the Twins will have played 13 times by Thursday night.

We also play Colorado while the Twins play San Fran.

seanpmurphy
05-31-2005, 01:23 AM
The Yankees will be in the dome this weekend, while we get a crack at the Indians, a team the Twins will have played 13 times by Thursday night.

We also play Colorado while the Twins play San Fran.

Latroy will be out to gun down his former former team! :D:

ShoelessJoeS
05-31-2005, 01:24 AM
The Yankees will be in the dome this weekend, while we get a crack at the Indians

i cant believe ill be rooting for the yankees, i feel so dirty just thinking about it

soxfanreggie
05-31-2005, 01:27 AM
Hey...I'm rooting for whoever gets us in the playoffs. I think that either the Twins or Sox will get the wild card...I've been saying that since before the first day of the season. The Red Sox, Yanks, and O's will beat up on each other enough to make our two-horse race in the central the one for the wild card. Wouldn't it be interesting to see the Sox beat the Twins to go to the Series...ahhhh a nice thought before I head to bed. :D:

kevingrt
05-31-2005, 10:04 AM
Yeah. I'm really hoping we can take 2/3 in most of these series. Hopefully some sweeps even. Cubs, Rockies, KC? The potential is there....

Just win, nothing else needs to be done except put W's on the board. If we win, the Twinkies can't catch up to us.

Ol' No. 2
05-31-2005, 10:44 AM
The Twins are going to be there all season long, I wouldn't be surprised if they jump into first at some point of the season.

The Twins are pesky, annoying, and always find a way to win. They're a good team like the Sox. And like the Sox they will beat teams they should.

For June I think the Sox will win 16 games. Hopefully that keeps them in first. :smile:The difference is that the Twins are playing about as well as they're going to and they're just keeping pace. The Sox still are well below their potential. Konerko, Dye, Uribe, Crede and Everett are not all going to hit below .250 all season long. Maybe one or two of them, but not all five. These guys historically hit better once the weather warms up. And adding Big Frank is like making a mid-season trade for a big bat. I predict the Sox will extend their lead by 3+ games in June.

dcb33
05-31-2005, 11:32 AM

Just wait until July. The Sox will get the opportunity to open a big lead as the Twins get 7 with the Angels, 3 with Baltimore, 5 in Detroit over 4 days, and 3 against Boston and New York. We do have the Red Sox for 4 games and play Baltimore 3 times at the end of the month, but those seven games are the only ones the Sox have against teams with winning records during July.

jhill36
05-31-2005, 06:52 PM

So far we've played 17 series. Won: 12 Tied: 2 Lost: 3

chisoxfanatic
05-31-2005, 07:04 PM

Let's see here...

The Twins are 3-2 against Detroit and are 4-5 against Cleveland...That's hardly beating teams they SHOULD, unlike what the Sox have been doing.

This Twins team is looking very much like Sox teams past in that they struggle against divisional foes...If this continues, winning the division singlehandedly is not out of the question.

chisoxfanatic
05-31-2005, 07:10 PM
Just one thing to take note of...

During a three-week span at the end of June and the beginning of July, the Twins only have ONE three-game series on the road...Interesting!

nasox
05-31-2005, 07:35 PM
Just one thing to take note of...

During a three-week span at the end of June and the beginning of July, the Twins only have ONE three-game series on the road...Interesting!

The fans will be on in full force, right fukwhidas?

batmanZoSo
06-01-2005, 12:48 AM
The difference is that the Twins are playing about as well as they're going to and they're just keeping pace. The Sox still are well below their potential. Konerko, Dye, Uribe, Crede and Everett are not all going to hit below .250 all season long. Maybe one or two of them, but not all five. These guys historically hit better once the weather warms up. And adding Big Frank is like making a mid-season trade for a big bat. I predict the Sox will extend their lead by 3+ games in June.

I like that we followed a crazy 18 win month with...another 18 win month. And we did it through a terribly weak stretch with the bats and two starts from a rookie pitcher.

We're 5 games up on June 1st now. Every time the Twins close it down to 3 games or less, we start winning again and put them back in their place. If we stay healthy and Thomas comes back as a legitimate force, there's no way the Twins are gonna catch us.

Nate_in_Kansas
06-01-2005, 02:01 AM
The difference is that the Twins are playing about as well as they're going to and they're just keeping pace. The Sox still are well below their potential. Konerko, Dye, Uribe, Crede and Everett are not all going to hit below .250 all season long. Maybe one or two of them, but not all five. These guys historically hit better once the weather warms up. And adding Big Frank is like making a mid-season trade for a big bat. I predict the Sox will extend their lead by 3+ games in June.

I totally disagree with this...The twins have not yet started hitting or fielding on a consistent basis, more than likely due to their re-re-vamped infield (replacing Bartlett who replaced Guzman with Castro, replacing Rivas with Punto, replacing Koskie with Cuddyer) and the fact that the middle of thier order has two guys who are still in their first full year and have had injuries this year. Their fielding is just starting to come around, and their hitting hasn't yet. When it does, the Twins will be much better than they are now. Not to mention their penchant for turning things on later in the season. Have we all forgotten already?

It will be a dogfight to the end, in my opinion. The race will be closer in September than it is now.

seanpmurphy
06-01-2005, 02:11 AM
Homefish?

Nate_in_Kansas
06-01-2005, 02:13 AM
Homefish?

Realist.

Realist
06-01-2005, 02:17 AM
i cant believe ill be rooting for the yankees, i feel so dirty just thinking about it

I go nooooo problem with that. I few years ago I rooted for the Cubs against the Indians when the Indians were still the Indians. I believe the stupid Cubs lost the series and I had to yell at my Cubs fan friends that their team wouldn't win for me.

It did feel kinda strange and I was still a little dizzy and light headed for a few days afterwards, but what's right is right. It woulda been good for the Cubs to win for us back then, and it'll be good for the Yankees to win for us now.

Realist
06-01-2005, 02:20 AM
Realist.

:?:

batmanZoSo
06-01-2005, 02:23 AM
I totally disagree with this...The twins have not yet started hitting or fielding on a consistent basis, more than likely due to their re-re-vamped infield (replacing Bartlett who replaced Guzman with Castro, replacing Rivas with Punto, replacing Koskie with Cuddyer) and the fact that the middle of thier order has two guys who are still in their first full year and have had injuries this year. Their fielding is just starting to come around, and their hitting hasn't yet. When it does, the Twins will be much better than they are now. Not to mention their penchant for turning things on later in the season. Have we all forgotten already?

It will be a dogfight to the end, in my opinion. The race will be closer in September than it is now.

What's to say the Twins should ever start hitting on a consistent basis? The fact that Torri Hunter is their cleanup hitter?

Realist
06-01-2005, 02:24 AM
I think I may have just inadvertently walked into and/or became a part of an Abbott and Costello routine. I think. Maybe. Or something.

Nate_in_Kansas
06-01-2005, 02:25 AM

HAHA! That's a funny coincidence...Not callin' anyone out or anything :)

Nate_in_Kansas
06-01-2005, 02:34 AM
What's to say the Twins should ever start hitting on a consistent basis? The fact that Torri Hunter is their cleanup hitter?

Well of course it's possible they'll never start hitting...But it's at least as likely they'll break out at some point. And I attribute that to the fact that their cleanup hitter most of the year has actually been Morneau, and he was out the first two weeks (when the sox were playing the Twins) and after scorching the ball and carrying the Twinkies offensively for his first 2-3 weeks after coming off the DL, he has come down to the rest of the team. The point being: No one on the Twins has hit with any consistency this year. And yet they are still right there. I have a feeling that, with time and health (if they can get that) they will start hitting a least a little better and then they will gain some ground.

Then again, if the Sox start hitting, they'll be invincible, so maybe it won't even matter :)

Frater Perdurabo
06-01-2005, 09:39 AM

Yes, but GIDPaul is ours.... :o:

JoseCanseco6969
06-01-2005, 11:09 AM

I have no problem rooting for the Yankees especially when they play the Twins, Indians, Tigers, Royals, Cubs, and Red Cubs.

CHISOXFAN13
06-01-2005, 11:25 AM

The Twins continued their improved defense with two more errors last night. Have you been paying attention to their defense this year? What makes you believe Cuddyer, who already has 10 errors at third, and whomever plays shortstop is going to turn it around.

Or you can take off your navy and Red Twins colored glasses and tell me how four of their starters, who are well ahead of career averages are going to keep up that pace?

Stop living in the past. The trends have already changed this season. In the past, the Twins dominated the division because of theit ability to beat teams within the division. Well, well, well. Look who's doing that with an 18-4 mark this year.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-01-2005, 11:47 AM

This thread is filled with an incredible number of Chicken Little posts. Let's get a few facts straight.

1.) The Sox and Twins will play (near) identical schedules and the only date who's in first place counts is October 2.

2.) The Sox won't play the Twins again until August 15, the first of the 13 remaining games we have with them.

And now the big one...

3.) The Sox haven't got **** to worry about as long as the Twins' record against the rest of the A.L. Central remains a pathetic 2 games over .500.

The Sox don't have to bury the Twins. The Tigers and Indians are doing it for us!
:roflmao:

Record within the A.L. Central
18-4 Sox
14-12 Twins

No wonder the Indians and Tigers are chirping... the Twins aren't beating them like they used to.

Unless Minnesota gets their act together in a hurry, those 13 games left with the Sox won't mean ****. By August 15 they'll be buried.

Now back to the usual "sky is falling" nonsense regarding the Twins...

Ol' No. 2
06-01-2005, 12:02 PM
Well of course it's possible they'll never start hitting...But it's at least as likely they'll break out at some point. And I attribute that to the fact that their cleanup hitter most of the year has actually been Morneau, and he was out the first two weeks (when the sox were playing the Twins) and after scorching the ball and carrying the Twinkies offensively for his first 2-3 weeks after coming off the DL, he has come down to the rest of the team. The point being: No one on the Twins has hit with any consistency this year. And yet they are still right there. I have a feeling that, with time and health (if they can get that) they will start hitting a least a little better and then they will gain some ground.

Then again, if the Sox start hitting, they'll be invincible, so maybe it won't even matter :)Who on the Twins is not hitting? The only regular below .260 is Hunter. The Sox have Konerko, Dye, Crede, Uribe and Everett all hitting below .260.