PDA

View Full Version : Sox on outside the lines

ChiSoxRowand
05-31-2005, 12:40 AM
They are doing a piece on Ozzies managing style. It is on now.

Sox of White
05-31-2005, 12:42 AM
Yeah! Extended contract for Ozzie!

NSSoxFan
05-31-2005, 12:50 AM
Thumbs up to Doug Padilla for calling out Steve Phillips, saying "Maybe he should be here for more than one day before he says something about Ozzie."

Rocklive99
05-31-2005, 12:50 AM
So far, I've already seen these interviews more than once, they've just been recycling them into different pieces, some parts of them acting like they know something and stirring up things between Ozzie and Frank and they really know absolutely nothing about situations they hear about. It was so funny how stupid Brian Kenny looked when he asked Garland what he thought about Ozzie calling Frank, in short, Brian got owned.

Padilla doing the interview now with Ley about the topics, so far, some good takes

Jjav829
05-31-2005, 12:52 AM
Thumbs up to Doug Padilla for calling out Steve Phillips, saying "Maybe he should be here for more than one day before he says something about Ozzie."

I enjoyed that as well. Kudos to Doug Padilla.

Steve Phillips is coming on next, undoubtedly to rip into Ozzie and the Sox some more.

ElevenUp
05-31-2005, 12:55 AM
Good job by Padilla telling it like it is. Did somebody in the White Sox organization have an affair with Steve Phillips wife? Seems like this guys got ana axe to grind with the the Sox for no apparent reason. He's a tool.

Rocklive99
05-31-2005, 12:55 AM
Oh God, the village idiot is IN

NSSoxFan
05-31-2005, 12:56 AM
I enjoyed that as well. Kudos to Doug Padilla.

Steve Phillips is coming on next, undoubtedly to rip into Ozzie and the Sox some more.

Phillips just said that when he was listening to Ozzie's press conference, he was listening with "GM ears". Sorry Steve, but you aren't a GM anymore.

:rolleyes:

ShoelessJoeS
05-31-2005, 12:57 AM

just got done listening to this bum, he has no heart.

Sox of White
05-31-2005, 12:58 AM
Uh oh, our whole season is doomed because Ozzie is not afraid to speak the truth!

chisoxmike
05-31-2005, 12:58 AM
What a jag, Ozzie isn't going to say anything different to the media than he does to his players.

DaleJRFan
05-31-2005, 12:59 AM
Steve Phillips = TOOLBAG

"He is protected there..." Where? There, as in, Chicago? Or, is he protected by that contract he signed today, through 2008???

What a freakin' moron. Steve Phillips, please GM for the Twins... please?

SpartanSoxFan
05-31-2005, 12:59 AM
I think we all need to have some fun with that stupid ignoramus we all have grown to love. Calling all site moderators!!!! We need a tag for Mr. Steven Phillips!!!! :tongue:

Jjav829
05-31-2005, 01:00 AM
Oh God, the village idiot is IN

The Phillips interview must have been taped first. I wish Phillips and Padilla were on at the same time so that Padilla could have shot down Phillips protection theory.

So let me get this straight. Steve Phillips was at one postgame press conference. He listened with "General Manager's ears," and from that he concluded that the press is protecting Ozzie? Uhh, ok, Steve. Go back to your crappy broadcasting now. :rolleyes:

ChiSox14305635
05-31-2005, 01:00 AM
Steve Phillips: "I was listening with general manager's ears."

Were those the same ears that listened to Mo Vaughn's agent?

NSSoxFan
05-31-2005, 01:02 AM
Steve Phillips: "I was listening with general manager's ears."

Were those the same ears that listened to Mo Vaughn's agent?

I believe those are the same ears that heard "You're Fired, Steve". :cool:

DMarte708
05-31-2005, 01:04 AM
The most troubling, and idiotic, comment uttered by Phillips is when he suggested the media protects Guillen.

Is he serious? If what the public hears is censored material, I'd love to hear his uncensored, unprotected news conference. :rolleyes:

Phillips can debate Guillen's effectiveness, but to question the integrity of the Chicago Media will be his downfall from ESPN. We've seen how these Mediots can be when backed into a corner. No one gives Guillen a free pass in Chicago, Phillips. Quit talking about of your ass for once and interview a few Chicago journalists before releasing such an idiotic statement.

Kogs35
05-31-2005, 01:05 AM
on certain saturdays in nyc he hosts a baseball show on espn1050 here. from what im told he bashes us on there as well when its a mets/yankee baseball show.

DMarte708
05-31-2005, 01:07 AM
on certain saturdays in nyc he hosts a baseball show on espn1050 here. from what im told he bashes us on there as well when its a mets/yankee baseball show.

Unbelievable. He must truly have been insulted in some regards to continue this vendetta.

If that's true, it'll be all the more sweeter if White Sox continue their winning ways.

Jjav829
05-31-2005, 01:10 AM

Why the hell does he have such a problem with us? Did KW kick his dog or something?

:KW
"Phillips' dog was a whiny little piece of crap anyways, just like him."

Seriously, Phillips seems to enjoy these times where he talks about the Sox as it gives him more time to bash the team/organization.

On a positive note, we made it through a feature on the Sox without a visit by Moronotti. :thumbsup:

ShoelessJoeS
05-31-2005, 01:15 AM
On a positive note, we made it through a feature on the Sox without a visit by Moronotti. :thumbsup:

oh just wait til around the horn tomorrow, he'll have something to say

SpartanSoxFan
05-31-2005, 01:15 AM
The most troubling, and idiotic, comment uttered by Phillips is when he suggested the media protects Guillen.

You are absolutely right, Steve. The media surely was protecting Ozzie when they printed that first-page story of his profanity-laden tirade towards Ordonez. Oh, and how about that fabrication by the media that Ozzie was singling out Frank for having a bad attitude last year???

JUST GO AWAY. :angry:

PicktoCLick72
05-31-2005, 01:17 AM
Steve Phillips might have Gm ears but he certainly does not have a GM mind and that is probabley why he is working for ESPN. He sounded like a reporter that had no idea about what he was talking about. I'm glad Padilla weas there to add some truth to the piece.

chisoxfanatic
05-31-2005, 01:18 AM
Well, I'd say they did a pretty fair assessment of Ozzie and his managerial tactics, minus Steve Phillips (but, what do you expect?)...They talked about how he gels with the players, and therein lies the difference between Ozzie and Jerry Manuel.

Ozzie is a winner, and thankfully he will be here for a while.

Lip Man 1
05-31-2005, 01:20 AM
So the media 'protects' Ozzie....

That must be news to Jay Mariotti.

Lip

FarWestChicago
05-31-2005, 01:20 AM
Why do people watch ESPN the Tabloid? It's absolutely horrible dreck. I don't get it. And why on Earth would you watch any show with The Moron on it? Some of you are just flat out nuts.

Kogs35
05-31-2005, 01:23 AM
Why the hell does he have such a problem with us? Did KW kick his dog or something?

Seriously, he seems to enjoy these times where he talks about the Sox as it gives him more time to bash the team/organization.

i dont know, im going to try and see what i can find out through friends in the media. could it be that he is jelous of kenny because no1 is killing him in the media for keeping ozzie on board? i think its jelousy. was phillips bashed for keeping valetine too long? did kenny take his media parking pass away? im just trying to think what can make him act immature to the sox, and the orginazation, and to the fans.

dcb33
05-31-2005, 01:25 AM
The Phillips interview must have been taped first. I wish Phillips and Padilla were on at the same time so that Padilla could have shot down Phillips protection theory.

So let me get this straight. Steve Phillips was at one postgame press conference. He listened with "General Manager's ears," and from that he concluded that the press is protecting Ozzie? Uhh, ok, Steve. Go back to your crappy broadcasting now. :rolleyes:

Phillips said the postgame conference he was at was the one after the game where Toriiiiiiii Hunter ran over Jamie Burke. We all know that Ozzie said he wanted his team to play more like the Twins, and I suspect Phillips has taken that remark and twisted it in his feeble mind to: Ozzie called out his team after the game I was at, so he obviously must do that after every game. Since we here at ESPN never hear any trouble coming from the White Sox, there must a grand conspiracy perpetrated by the Chicago media to cover up what Ozzie says.

Not to be Captain Obvious, but it's clear he is a total tool because if he knew better, he would realize that the Tribune and virtually every other Cubbie-blue sunglass donning media-person in this city would relish the opportunity for Ozzie to misstep so they could tear him limb from limb.

Huisj
05-31-2005, 01:29 AM
hey, here's an email I might send to OTL about the segment tonight. what do you guys think, should I send it?

Does Steve Phillips have some personal issue with the White Sox and Ozzie Guillen that skews his perspective and analysis of them? As far as I can tell, he hasn't said a single positive word about them all year, and the more they win, the more he seems to feel the need to rip on them, especially regarding Ozzie Guillen. Ok, so you don't like his managing style, Steve. Well guess what, apparently someone didn't like your General Managing style, because you're a part-time analyst now and no longer a GM. You said you listened to a Guillen post game conference with "GM ears" and had to cringe. Well maybe Kenny Williams listened to it with his own set of "GM ears" and smiled as the Sox kept winning. Steve's personal opinion of how a team should be run does not mean that every team must always be run how that way--if every team were, we'd probably see a lot of underachieving high payroll teams like his Mets teams turned out to often be.

I was very pleased with Doug Padilla from the Sun Times actually calling Phillips out and questioning where his information comes from. Has Phillips ever followed the Sox media coverage on a day-to-day basis? Chicago media tends to be very Cubs biased (thank you, Tribune company), and quite often if the press can find a negative to use to rip into the Sox with, they'll be darn sure to use it. How does he know from sitting in on one or two post game conferences that Ozzie is being "protected" by the press? Was Ozzie protected when he chewed out Magglio Ordonez? Was Ozzie protected when every writer and analyst (including everyone at ESPN) heard only Frank Thomas' name in a list of 7 or 8 names given in regard to bad attitude the last few years? From someone who reads the papers every day, it seems that Guillen is far from being protected; rather, it appears that some reporters may have a convenient selective hearing loss problem that they use to make Ozzie's quote seem even more controversial than they are.

Just about everything Phillips has said all year has been backed up only with things like "I feel that . . . " and "I think . . .", but never with any actual evidence to support what he feels or thinks.

It's a shame that the interviews with Padilla and Phillips couldn't have been done at the same time with a split screen to see Phillips reaction when Padilla called him out. That could have been a classic OTL moment.

sox230
05-31-2005, 01:31 AM
Sportscenter spent 5 good minutes on telling how Ozzie screwed up in te 9th inning, which was right, but stressed it wayyyyyyyy too much. Then they said the Sox came back and won as an afterthought, not even saying Perez was put in the game to pinch-hit by Guillen. Incredible.

ShoelessJoeS
05-31-2005, 01:33 AM
Sportscenter spent 5 good minutes on telling how Ozzie screwed up in te 9th inning, which was right, but stressed it wayyyyyyyy too much. Then they said the Sox came back and won as an afterthought, not even saying Perez was put in the game to pinch-hit by Guillen. Incredible.

yea what was the deal with that, after the whole ozzie bashing in the top half of the inning they spent 10 seconds showing that the sox actually WON that game...the media never ceases to amaze me

Chisox003

Seriously, Phillips seems to enjoy these times where he talks about the Sox as it gives him more time to bash the team/organization.

My turn...
Well, he's kind of had it in for me ever since I accidentally ran over his dog. Actually, replace "accidentally" with "repeatedly," and replace "dog" with "son."

Actually thats Lionel Hutz from the Simpsons....I couldnt resist :gulp:

PicktoCLick72
Good letter. I'd like to see what OTL says back

Huisj
05-31-2005, 01:35 AM

BBTN handled this a lot better. Kruk gave a pretty fair analysis showing how the botched double play obviously should have ended the game, and that Marte did what he needed to do at that point. He also said that Guillen did what he did because the guy hitting was a .190 hitter against lefties, and if he brought in Hermanson, the Angels would send up a much better hitter in Daren Erstad. I was impressed by how much he actually made sense talking about that, saying that it was an extremely difficult decision to make and that both ways had big plusses and minuses.

ShoelessJoeS
05-31-2005, 01:37 AM
BBTN handled this a lot better. Kruk gave a pretty fair analysis showing how the botched double play obviously should have ended the game, and that Marte did what he needed to do at that point. He also said that Guillen did what he did because the guy hitting was a .190 hitter against lefties, and if he brought in Hermanson, the Angels would send up a much better hitter in Daren Erstad. I was impressed by how much he actually made sense talking about that, saying that it was an extremely difficult decision to make and that both ways had big plusses and minuses.

yea an intelligent remark from kruk? whats the world coming to

fquaye149
05-31-2005, 01:39 AM
I think we all need to have some fun with that stupid ignoramus we all have grown to love. Calling all site moderators!!!! We need a tag for Mr. Steven Phillips!!!! :tongue:

shouldn't be all that hard to find a picture of horse manure.

shoota
05-31-2005, 02:17 AM
When the Sox win the division, I will email this guy a picture of me partying in the bleachers with $11 dollars of beer in my hands and a black S O X logo drawn on my bare, masculine chest, and Lisa Dergan hanging on my right arm.

Under the picture, I will thank him for giving us a chance to win the division by not working for the organization in any capacity. And I will begin and end the email by letting him know that he sucks.

WhiteSox16K
05-31-2005, 03:23 AM
I'm wondering...

Are these the same press conferences that are on ESPN1000 Postgame and occasionally on Comcast Postgame?

Steve Phillips needs to shut his mouth

Jerko
05-31-2005, 11:05 AM
shouldn't be all that hard to find a picture of horse manure.

I'll keep it clean; obviously there are more graphic ones:

http://landscaping.wessexhort.co.uk/images/CLAVERING+HORSE+MANURE2.png

veeter
05-31-2005, 12:17 PM
I just love the fact that with every victory the Sox irritate espn and the world that much more.

mjharrison72
05-31-2005, 01:39 PM
I saw the same thing... there was all this "analysis" of the Red Sox' 8-1 loss, but the only additional foddre on the Sox was listening to the ESPN commentators gripe about what mistakes Ozzie was making. Not a word about Frank, not a word about Buehrle's great pitching, barely a mention about the two-out single to win it. Great sports journalism, ESPN.