PDA

View Full Version : Hell Yeah...What A Day!!!

mike squires
05-30-2005, 11:00 PM
Wow, as I sit here stripped down to my Izod boxers and WhiteSox BP hat (yeah, pretty damn sexy) I've had time reflecting on todays events. First of all it was my girls first ever major league game. (Not sure if it can officially be counted, cause it was against my belief of having kids under 10 go to a game. I want them to be able to remember it and understand it. But we broke the rules today. I'm glad we did. There we sat along the first base line during batting practice "yelling" at the Angel shagger how cute she was so they'd give her a ball. Can't say I was too successfull, although she is damn cute. I waited patiently and there came my usual shot. I leaned over the railing and timed it perfectly right in front of someone next to me. I'm not sure if I "stole" the ball from him. I must admit I turn into the youngest 31 year old when I watch BP. I think he may have called me a name as it landed in my mitt. I won't tell you what it was. I then went over to the Whitesox dugout with the hopes of getting Ozzie to sign a pic I took of him back in 86. No luck. But, there was good ol' Minnie waiting to throw out the first pitch and gladly signed my ball. Class act throughut his career. I then trotted over to the camera well side after the mean security guards shooed us away. I waited and waited but figured nobody I wanted would sign. (Willie was signing, did not want) So I went off to buy some cheddarbrats and hotdogs for my wife and I and as I stood in the line there was Frank signing right at the spot I was at on the TV monitor. (I guess that's OK, I've got 4 of them.) I didn't expect to see the bird Challenger today and it gave me a million goosebumps. Franks standing O did the same. I loved the crowds response to the hurt. I was feeling pretty confident with Buehrle on the mound the one run lead but it all came crumbling down and before I knew it CrazyCarl was heading back to the dugout and I sat there wondering why this always happends to me. But we all know the ending and I left a happy man picking up a media guide on the way out. We changed Brooklynne on the tailgate of our jeep and afterwards stood her up. Someone had some rap playing and without a prompt Brooklynne started bopping up and down. Yes, sometimes you have to break the rules. Anyone elses day like mine?

DumpJerry
05-30-2005, 11:03 PM
I guess not me. I don't own Izod boxers.:cool:

chisoxfanatic
05-31-2005, 12:24 AM
Well, I cleaned in my apartment today. About 20 minutes before the game, I left my place and walked to the ballpark, and was taken aback by the mass quantities of people there...I love seeing the Sox sell out! :)

The game was awesome, the fans were great (well, when aren't Sox fans great?), and Timo made my day!

I walked home very happy and promptly cleaned the sinkfull of dishes I had left from breakfast/lunch faster than I've ever washed dishes before, due to the extra "bounce" in my step caused by this HUGE victory!!!

This will go down as one of the more memorable games I've ever been to. I can't wait to get back to the ballpark Friday to see my 8th game of the season in person.

Nellie_Fox
05-31-2005, 01:35 AM
You think kids can't remember things before they're ten? I went to a lot of ballgames before I was ten, and certainly remember them. Before five or six, maybe not, but ten?

TheOldRoman
05-31-2005, 03:11 AM
You think kids can't remember things before they're ten? I went to a lot of ballgames before I was ten, and certainly remember them. Before five or six, maybe not, but ten?
I sadly only went to one game at old Comiskey. I was five at the time, and I went with my dad and brother. I vividly remember parts of the game, but not much of the park. I remember that we sat in the left field upperdeck and the Sox lost. My dad was never really a baseball fan, and he only took my brother and me to the game because my brother got vouchers for perfect attendance or something from school. Its too bad I didnt get to see the park more than once, but I do remember a lot of it from when I was 5.

C-Dawg
05-31-2005, 05:42 AM
My dad was never really a baseball fan, and he only took my brother and me to the game because my brother got vouchers for perfect attendance or something from school.

I think most, if not all, of my visits to the old park in those days were due to the Perfect Attendance program. My parents would never have paid for tickets for all four of us to go.

How about that weather yesterday? It felt so good there in the sun, I could have sat there all day! Come to think of it, that's pretty much what I did, having gotten in when the gates first opened, but I bet it was still chilly in the shadowed parts of the park. My arms are stinging from the sun, but its all good with the Sox victory.

Sad
05-31-2005, 08:47 AM
was a good game although I don't understand why Dustin Hermanson wasn't used in the 9th...
?

meatball sammich at Jimbo's was a good way to start the day

nice to see Frank get that standing ovation, and also to see Timo came thru in the clutch after being booed when he replaced the Big Hurt...

got outta there & on Red Line, over to Roosevelt just in time to catch the South Shore back to Michigan City... errrr, that was the plan anyway before finding out the train was cancelled because of a downed wire.

Eventually got on the next train (2 hours later) out of Van Buren (after spending 90 min or so at a watering hole on Michigan Ave.). Got as far as Dune Park and they put us on a bus to Mi City 'cus the wire was still apparently "down"

what a long day/ night but glad I went...

kevingrt
05-31-2005, 09:00 AM
What a game. After the top of the ninth I was jsut about to throw my television out of the apartment window. Luckily I had the balls to watch the bottom half of the inning and watch speedy Willie take the dreaded lead-off walk. Everything else was amazing fromt here, minus Carl's bluff.

This was one of the most exciting games of the year, but hopefully we can build on it and maybe get a sweep and a nice win streak started here. Let's create some seperation between us and the Twinkies. PLEASE!

mike squires
05-31-2005, 09:01 AM
Well, I cleaned in my apartment today. About 20 minutes before the game, I left my place and walked to the ballpark, and was taken aback by the mass quantities of people there...I love seeing the Sox sell out! :)

The game was awesome, the fans were great (well, when aren't Sox fans great?), and Timo made my day!

I walked home very happy and promptly cleaned the sinkfull of dishes I had left from breakfast/lunch faster than I've ever washed dishes before, due to the extra "bounce" in my step caused by this HUGE victory!!!

This will go down as one of the more memorable games I've ever been to. I can't wait to get back to the ballpark Friday to see my 8th game of the season in person.

I almost called out for you fanatic. I think you said you would be 4 rows in front of me. I was going to give you a big ol high five. sec. 117

TomBradley72
05-31-2005, 09:04 AM
We were there....sat in the right field bleachers....nearly a perfect White Sox day....tailgaters were out in full force (Sox should improve facilities for this), ballpark looked as good as it ever has with the sold out crowd, Challenger/Memorial Day tribute was very well done, Chico Carresquel tribute was very classy, that Sox video they play before the game is absolutely awesome (should be their source for commercials on TV/they should also use it on their TV broadcasts), Frank's return, Ozzie's contract extension (a pretty cool video tribute to him as well), enough clutch hitting/pitching (Buehrle/Rowand/Perez/Politte) to overcome some horrible clutch hitting/pitching/fielding (Konerko/Crede/Marte/Iguchi). Crowd found a way to sing Take Me Out to the Ballgame without a celebrity leading the way. Overall the crowd was in to the game as much as any crowd I've seen since we left the original Comiskey. After the game....walking down the ramps...the crowd's chanting "Let's Go White Sox" in unison at the top of their lungs. This will be a very fun ride.

mike squires
05-31-2005, 09:07 AM

I remember things before I was 10 but alot of kids don't really grasp things and aren't able to able to pay attention. My first game was at Wrigley when I was 9 (I don't count it as my first game) All I really remember was a rookie Ryne Sandburg stealing second and just a few bits and pieces. My first Sox game in 83 I have more recollections. Seeing Jim Rice talking to an umpire on the way out to left field and wandering what he was saying to him. Stretching out my arms with program in hands to a passing Harold Baines, Law hitting a double down the line that almost went out and of course Luzinski hitting the roof. I go to a lot of ball games and see kids 4, 5, 6 and they do well for awhile but then they get impatient and then it ends up not being fun for the parent or child. I'll probably end up taking her to games in the future but I just want them to really understand what is going on in the game and to be able to have vivid memories is all. I want it to be special to them. I'm sure it varies from parent to parent. That's just my view.

LVSoxFan
05-31-2005, 10:07 AM
That is without a doubt the most crowded I have seen the Cell all year; or in the past two years (save for maybe a Cubs/Sox game). It was so crowded I actually sat in my bleacher seat most of the game because the concourse was too packed to walk around on. Even the UD was filled pretty well--a rarity.

Granted, it was 1/2 price and a holiday and great weather.

I too wondered why Hermanson was not brought out and instead it was Wild Thing. That was a thrilling ending, but for most of the game it was obvious: our offense sucks right now. If I had a dollar for every man we've left on base, I'd be rich.

jake27
05-31-2005, 11:12 AM
well i woke up and was sick. then i went to the game w/ someone i didnt wanna go w/ cuz i couldnt find ne1 else then our seats were in the last section of UP in LF, row 14. sun was in our eyes the whole game. but the seats were my fault (should have gotten tickets earlier). but the white sox win made up for it.

TDog
05-31-2005, 11:17 AM
... Its too bad I didnt get to see the park more than once, but I do remember a lot of it from when I was 5.

My father took me to a Cubs-Sox exhibition game in the first half of the '60s, maybe '63 or '64. I was about 6. One of his friends couldn't make the game so he had an extra ticket. Someone with the proper resources might be able to tell me the year the Sox beat the Cubs 7-2. We were sitting above the bullpen down the third-base line. Unfortunately, it was before I got glasses when people in school discovered I was incredibly nearsighted. I couldn't see anything and only remember the experience. I'm glad that wasn't my only memory of the old park.

I haven't been to a baseball game in 1 year and 11 months. I miss the experience.

Iwritecode
05-31-2005, 11:59 AM
Luckily I had the balls to watch the bottom half of the inning and watch speedy Willie take the dreaded lead-off walk.

I felt like Rick "Wild Thing" Vaghn yelling "Come on Willie!" when he took second. :cool: