PDA

View Full Version : So I'm listening to the postgame show...

TornLabrum
05-30-2005, 08:44 PM
...and this guy calls in saying we won't make the playoffs because of Ozzie's lousy managing today.

Bill Melton, filling in for Dave Wills, replied after the tirade was finished, "So I guess you're upset that the Sox won today."

Way to go Melty!

PicktoCLick72
05-30-2005, 08:46 PM
I heard it to. It's so true with all the complaints everyone had, we still won the game. So everyone should just be happy.

Brian26
05-30-2005, 08:47 PM
Melty rules.

Ozzie will probably never get credit for the intangibles he brings to this team, unseen on a daily basis by the fans. Sometimes its better to be lucky than good with late inning managerial decisions. Hey- we won...it's hard to complain about a win.

Sox of White
05-30-2005, 08:48 PM
...and this guy calls in saying we won't make the playoffs because of Ozzie's lousy managing today.

Bill Melton, filling in for Dave Wills, replied after the tirade was finished, "So I guess you're upset that the Sox won today."

Way to go Melty!

Ozzie is going to be discussed tonight on Outside the Lines. His managerial style and the effect he has on the team.

cheeses_h_rice
05-30-2005, 09:00 PM
There was a guy on yesterday's postgame show who said that the sole, solitary act of Ozzie taking out McCarthy when he was facing the Cubs was singlehandedly going to destroy the team for the remainder of the season.

Melton and Dolgin were like, "OK, I guess we should just turn off the lights and power this thing down, since there's no reason to play anymore, right?"

Pretty funny.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-30-2005, 09:12 PM
There was a guy on yesterday's postgame show who said that the sole, solitary act of Ozzie taking out McCarthy when he was facing the Cubs was singlehandedly going to destroy the team for the remainder of the season...

I heard that call, and I heard the one Torn talks about from today's post-game show, too. Unbelievable what kind of dopes get through to make complete *******s of themselves on a 50,000 watt radio station. You just know they're at work tomorrow bragging about how they called in and got on the air, too.
:kukoo:

At WSI we have a place for these people: the ****house.
:thumbsup:

I_Liked_Manuel
05-30-2005, 10:13 PM
how many games does ozzie have to f up until some of you see how terrible of a manager he is? i'm not going to argue that he's a fun guy that's easy to get along with, that's pretty obvious. the other thing that's terribly obvious when it comes to ozzie is that he has no idea when to go to the bullpen or who to use when he goes to the bullpen.

FarWestChicago
05-30-2005, 10:17 PM
how many games does ozzie have to f up until some of you see how terrible of a manager he is? i'm not going to argue that he's a fun guy that's easy to get along with, that's pretty obvious. the other thing that's terribly obvious when it comes to ozzie is that he has no idea when to go to the bullpen or who to use when he goes to the bullpen.With your username you have no credibility when it comes to talking about managers. :o:

PicktoCLick72
05-30-2005, 10:20 PM
Or schools for that matter.

Dan H
05-30-2005, 10:22 PM
The White Sox beat the Angels but that is something Ozzie Guillen can't take credit for. I am happy with win, not with the managing. Marte stayed in for one too many batters.

SpammySosa
05-30-2005, 10:23 PM

Way to go Melty!

That's funny,because Brian Dolgin has been doing the same thing all season.:wink: Just kidding!! Speaking of Brian,I think he has really found a groove and is doing a great job.

Lip Man 1
05-30-2005, 10:24 PM
I saw the game on WGN-TV today but just now on SportsCenter they had something interesting. The replayed the 'highlights' of the Angels 9th inning complete with the game announcers comments.

Jeff Brantly (big surprise...) reamed Ozzie out during that inning. Among the comments they replayed:

*"Pennants are won at the end of games gentlemen...'
*"Buehrle's leaving and he shouldn't even have been in this position in the first place...'
*"Right now the Sox should be high fiving Dustin Hermansen after another one,two, three inning...'

and lastly....

*"They may have the best record in baseball but that was awful managing.."

Oddly enough when Perez got the game winning hit Brantly was strangely silent..... go figure! Seriously what did the Sox do to get the burr under his ass?

Lip

DrCrawdad
05-30-2005, 10:27 PM
With your username you have no credibility when it comes to talking about managers. :o:

Good one! (http://home.mindspring.com/~dcrosby101/RIMSHOT.wav)

PicktoCLick72
05-30-2005, 10:28 PM
It seems Brantley has never been very fond of Ozzie. Neither team was from the east coast so I'm not really sure why Brantley cared about this game.

Ol' No. 2
05-30-2005, 10:29 PM
Seriously what did the Sox do to get the burr under his ass?

LipThey've been winning and making their 4th place, 72-win predictions look awfully stupid. (Brantly and Phillips and a few others, too.)

cburns
05-30-2005, 10:30 PM
Personally I thought Ozzie made some very questionable/stupid moves this game, but overall I think he has done a pretty solid job this year managing.

TornLabrum
05-30-2005, 10:33 PM
That's funny,because Brian Dolgin has been doing the same thing all season.:wink: Just kidding!! Speaking of Brian,I think he has really found a groove and is doing a great job.

Just so there is no misunderstanding, by "filling in for Dave Wills," I meant taking it to the listeners who bitch on the phone. I emailed Dave, telling him about this and told him I could hear his voice when I read Melton's words.

TornLabrum
05-30-2005, 10:35 PM
I saw the game on WGN-TV today but just now on SportsCenter they had something interesting. The replayed the 'highlights' of the Angels 9th inning complete with the game announcers comments.

Jeff Brantly (big surprise...) reamed Ozzie out during that inning. Among the comments they replayed:

*"Buehrle's leaving and he shouldn't even have been in this position in the first place...'
*"Right now the Sox should be high fiving Dustin Hermansen after another one,two, three inning...'

and lastly....

Oddly enough when Perez got the game winning hit Brantly was strangely silent..... go figure! Seriously what did the Sox do to get the burr under his ass?

Lip

One question: Who the **** is Jeff Brantley?

JB98
05-30-2005, 10:42 PM
I'm not sure the dopes at ESPN realize how much faith Ozzie has in Buerhle. I actually liked the decision to let Mark start the ninth. He is the best pitcher we have. I am always confident when he is on the mound.

What I did not like was Ozzie's decision to bring in Marte. If you're going to take Buehrle out, you go with Hermanson, IMO.

Oh, well. We still won. Next.

DumpJerry
05-30-2005, 10:46 PM
With your username you have no credibility when it comes to talking about managers. :o:
You took the words out of my mouth.
I imagine that given my screenname and this guy's name, we should not be seated next to each other at the WSI meeting.

Daver
05-30-2005, 10:47 PM
:fireozzie

Soxzilla
05-30-2005, 10:48 PM
Ozzie deserves to have a bonehead day every once in a while. You don't get to the best record in the league, 34-17, by just dumb luck...and this team certainly doesn't have the 'talent' of other teams like the Yankmees.

He's obviously doing something right, and I for one am glad he got that extension today.

Torn, Brantley is a blowhard with a mullet.

SpartanSoxFan
05-30-2005, 10:56 PM
Torn, Brantley is a blowhard with a mullet.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Brantley a former pitcher of a very MEDIOCRE variety as well???

SpammySosa
05-30-2005, 11:01 PM
Just so there is no misunderstanding

My bad! :redface:

Ol' No. 2
05-30-2005, 11:02 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Brantley a former pitcher of a very MEDIOCRE variety as well???His later years were pretty poor, but he had quite a few good ones in SF and CIN. Which doesn't mean he knows **** when all is said and done.

kobo
05-30-2005, 11:09 PM
The only reason anyone is second guessing Ozzie is because of Iguchi's error in the 9th. If he doesn't make that error they probably would have turned 2 and Marte would have had the save. Marte did his job, it was the error that almost cost us.

slavko
05-30-2005, 11:11 PM
If you tune in to Melty looking for criticism, merited or otherwise, constructive or otherwise, you've come to the wrong place. He defends everything White Sox.

cheeses_h_rice
05-30-2005, 11:20 PM
The only reason anyone is second guessing Ozzie is because of Iguchi's error in the 9th. If he doesn't make that error they probably would have turned 2 and Marte would have had the save. Marte did his job, it was the error that almost cost us.

Sorry, but such reasoned and well thought out posts are not allowed on WSI.

Ozzie MUST be blamed, at all costs, even for boneheaded plays that the Sox players make.

I_Liked_Manuel
05-30-2005, 11:37 PM

good pitching substitutions are too much to ask for?

FarWestChicago
05-30-2005, 11:45 PM
good pitching substitutions are too much to ask for?Complete :hijacked:

Irrelevant :hijacked:

ShoelessJoeS
05-30-2005, 11:51 PM

Way to go Melty!

classic melton...i love it!

johnnyg83
05-31-2005, 12:04 AM
I'm delighted with the win and could not hate Brantley any more than any single poster on this board since he made that "chicago will be crying intheir beer come playoffs" comment -- and I know the LH Erstad was on the bench -- and I know Iguchi made an error -- and I know Quinlan only hits .100 vs. LHs -- but .. actually wait ... I talk
ed myslef out of second guessing Ozzie.

ChiSox14305635
05-31-2005, 12:23 AM

and lastly....

Lip

Just saw the highlights on the midnight edition of Sportscenter. They chronicled the entire top of the 9th, and let Brantley's comments out there. Yet then they quickly show the clip of Timo driving home the game winner.

Typical ESPN. Let your dopes spew their "knowledge" and then quickly slip in the actual results. Brilliant. :rolleyes:

Cubbiesuck13
05-31-2005, 12:33 AM
I'm delighted with the win and could not hate Brantley any more than any single poster on this board since he made that "chicago will be crying intheir beer come playoffs" comment -- and I know the LH Erstad was on the bench -- and I know Iguchi made an error -- and I know Quinlan only hits .100 vs. LHs -- but .. actually wait ... I talk
ed myslef out of second guessing Ozzie.

I love to read a good post after reading 3 threads full of ignorant B.S. from even the more informed posters. Players win games and managers loose them, the Oz knows that; I am just glad others do as well...

Funny how the tide turns when things go south for a few games. The SOX are about to start winning again and you won't here a negative word unless it's about PK. The only reason you will hear PK bashing is because of his cancerous comments in the paper. And we all know that no one else has ever called out a teammate on the SOX before... I don't recall so many posters talking about his ability to GIDP before the last game of the Flubs series.

FarWestChicago
05-31-2005, 12:38 AM
The only reason you will hear PK bashing is because of his cancerous comments in the paper. And we all know that no one else has ever called out a teammate on the SOX before... Name the other Sox players who have backstabbed their teammates to the press? We'll be waiting. I'm glad you think his reprehensible, self aggrandizing media whoring is so funny. Most don't. You are one Apaulogist who may be crossing the line from amusing to obnoxious.

Cubbiesuck13
05-31-2005, 12:49 AM
Name the other Sox players who have backstabbed their teammates to the press? We'll be waiting. I'm glad you think his reprehensible, self aggrandizing media whoring is so funny. Most don't. You are one Apaulogist who may be crossing the line from amusing to obnoxious.

David Wells did it and guys still liked him. The Oz did it when he was playing and now he is the manager. I am sure there are more.

The only thing I think is funny is that everyone is calling for his job after he said those things. If anything, they should have been calling for his job when he got off to his typical terrible start. PK makes way to much money for what he is doing and I wished KW would have been able to send him away instead of Lee so I am hardly an Apoulogist, thank you.

FarWestChicago
05-31-2005, 12:57 AM
David Wells did it and guys still liked him. The Oz did it when he was playing and now he is the manager. I am sure there are more.Who liked David Wells after that? He looked pretty stupid after Frank's injury was diagnosed. Can you find another example this century?

Cubbiesuck13
05-31-2005, 01:06 AM
Who liked David Wells after that? He looked pretty stupid after Frank's injury was diagnosed. Can you find another example this century?

If you ever get a chance to ask Rowand who is all-time favorite teammate is, do it. I'll bet you he says Boomer. Burly has also been known to speak well of him as well. But that isn't even my point. Why don't you tell me why no one was calling for GIDPK's head before the crosstown series?

FarWestChicago
05-31-2005, 01:13 AM
Why don't you tell me why no one was calling for GIDPK's head before the crosstown series?Are you serious? You are kidding, right? My gawd, Paulie has been getting ripped for weeks. You need to look around a bit.

We'll just have to disagree whether it's OK to have back stabbing, selfish people on one's team. You might think it's fine and you may be right. In my experience, with manufacturing rather than baseball teams, it isn't. I fire them.

lostletters
05-31-2005, 02:14 AM
Not bringing in Hermanson in the ninth was questionable. I would not say it was the worst decision ever. Because there are far worse decisions (looks at dusty baker's overuse of cubs starters).

But with that being said, dumb luck is sometimes VERY VERY SWEET.

As Ozzie says...it is better to be lucky then to be good. Today we were definately lucky.

I was at the game, it was a blast. The 38,000+ fans was really nice to see. Though I got burned pretty bad.

I think there is alot of Ozzie haters out there. Sometimes he makes mistakes, but to be honest every manager makes a similiar mistakes.

To be honest, the mark of a good team, good manager, and good players, is the ability to cover up the mistakes with a win.

shoota
05-31-2005, 02:22 AM
If you tune in to Melty looking for criticism, merited or otherwise, constructive or otherwise, you've come to the wrong place. He defends everything White Sox.

I don't have much of a sample size of Melton's opinions, but I do remember him criticizing the Sox at the end of 2003, when the Sox blew a September series in Minnesota, virtually ending the season. Melton ripped the team, but did so in a professional, accurate manner. Listening to him list the season-long problems with the team comforted me after such a devastating end to the season.

IowaSox1971
05-31-2005, 03:21 AM
One of the reasons Hermanson has been so effective this season is that Ozzie tries to use him in favorable matchups. Facing a guy like Erstad would not have been a good matchup for Hermanson. An intelligent commentator would have pointed this out right away. Also, while posting a save against the Angels last week, Hermanson gave up two very long fly balls that appeared to be home runs when they were hit but ended up being caught near the wall. And those long fly balls were hit by two of the Angels' weaker hitters. There is no guarantee that Hermanson would have pitched a 1-2-3 ninth.

Ozzie managed the bullpen just fine in the ninth inning. Marte got that guy to hit an easy double play ball that should have ended the game, but Iguchi just made a bad play. That's Iguchi's fault, not Ozzie's.

RKMeibalane
05-31-2005, 04:37 AM
Or schools for that matter.

Hey, don't make fun of Iowa. After all, they treat you like a king there.

RKMeibalane
05-31-2005, 04:40 AM
Are you serious? You are kidding, right? My gawd, Paulie has been getting ripped for weeks. You need to look around a bit.

We'll just have to disagree whether it's OK to have back stabbing, selfish people on one's team. You might think it's fine and you may be right. In my experience, with manufacturing rather than baseball teams, it isn't. I fire them.

:GIDaPaulogists

"It's okay that Konerko's a seflish sonofabtich. He's the only player on the team who can turn the 3-6-3 double-play, and, better yet, he's willing to let Frank beat him in a footrace, so that Ozzie has an excuse to put Thomas in the lineup. I mean, everyone knows that Paul is a better hitter than Frank, right? Oh, wait..."

RKMeibalane
05-31-2005, 04:43 AM
If you ever get a chance to ask Rowand who is all-time favorite teammate is, do it. I'll bet you he says Boomer. Burly has also been known to speak well of him as well. But that isn't even my point. Why don't you tell me why no one was calling for GIDPK's head before the crosstown series?

Have you been paying any attention to this board for the past four weeks. People are fed up with Konerko's dumb ass. It's gotten so bad that people actuall believe that Ross Gload is the superior player at 1B now. I'm not kidding. The aPaulogists must have forgotten to take their medication again.

SoxWillWin
05-31-2005, 05:19 AM
how many games does ozzie have to f up until some of you see how terrible of a manager he is? i'm not going to argue that he's a fun guy that's easy to get along with, that's pretty obvious. the other thing that's terribly obvious when it comes to ozzie is that he has no idea when to go to the bullpen or who to use when he goes to the bullpen.

Terrible manager???? Well Let's see it's his 2nd year as a manager, he finished his first year with a winning record despite losing 2 big pieces of the Offense, and having a 5th spot in the rotation that couldn't do squat. Has he made some bad decisions?? Yes, has he cost us some games??? Yes, what manager hasn't??????????? Bottom line is Ozzie has a job to do.....that job is to make decisions and trust that the players he puts into certain situations do thier job. If the players fail to do thier job Ozzie is a bad Manager, If the player does his job, THE PLAYER made a great play, or came up with a big hit, or got a big strikeout. How many games does this team have to win before you stop being jealous of the fact that Manuel couldn't get the same performance out of these guys???? It's ludicrous the way we sit around here and bicker about things when there are so many other things involved in a game that we do not see. Two things that make this bickering completely useless, 1. Hindsight is always 20/20, if buerhle had gotten three outs this wouldn't even be an issue 2. These players play for Guillen because of who he is, not because of managerial experience, or championships won. He lights a fire under these guys when it's crunch time and gives them the proper support when things are going bad. Manuel lacked that. We could post here all day about Ozzie should've done this and that and the other, but you put yourself on that bench in the same situations and tell me you'd do anything different. Of course you'd say you would, hindsight and all, but being there is something completely different. Can we just enjoy being in first place with the best record in baseball and save the BS for when and if we really have problems?????

SoxWillWin
05-31-2005, 05:40 AM
Are you serious? You are kidding, right? My gawd, Paulie has been getting ripped for weeks. You need to look around a bit.

Just a quick question, in case I missed something in the news, Has Paulie been backstabbing everyone on this team all season long, or was he just voicing his opinion on an act that he felt was of questionable sportmanship?

owensmouth
05-31-2005, 08:41 AM
Name the other Sox players who have backstabbed their teammates to the press? We'll be waiting. I'm glad you think his reprehensible, self aggrandizing media whoring is so funny. Most don't. You are one Apaulogist who may be crossing the line from amusing to obnoxious.Following Monday's game, Ozzie addressed the the media minions, explaining to them why he had left Buehrle in the game to start the nineth.

After Ozzie was done, this is what Mark Buehrle said to the writers: "I was kind of surprised I went out there for the ninth inning," Buehrle said. "I faced these guys nine innings the last game (Tuesday) and eight innings (Monday). Most of these guys have seen me nine or 10 times."

Does that qualify? Did he speak to Qzzie between innings, mentioning his concerns?

PaleHoseGeorge
05-31-2005, 09:00 AM

Does that qualify? Did he speak to Qzzie between innings, mentioning his concerns?

Sure it qualifies... just as soon as Ozzie gives up his manager's post and heads back out to play shortstop for the Sox, a position he gave up seven years ago.

Ozzie is Buehrle's teammate????
:o:

Palehose13
05-31-2005, 09:01 AM
Following Monday's game, Ozzie addressed the the media minions, explaining to them why he had left Buehrle in the game to start the nineth.

After Ozzie was done, this is what Mark Buehrle said to the writers: "I was kind of surprised I went out there for the ninth inning," Buehrle said. "I faced these guys nine innings the last game (Tuesday) and eight innings (Monday). Most of these guys have seen me nine or 10 times."

I don't think this is back stabbing. He didn't say that Ozzie made a poor decision by putting him out there, he was just surprised that he did. There are a few ways this could be interpreted (one of which could be positive), unlike what PK said to the media about Uribe's play.

kevingrt
05-31-2005, 09:01 AM
Following Monday's game, Ozzie addressed the the media minions, explaining to them why he had left Buehrle in the game to start the nineth.

When the media asks him a question about how he handled the pitching staff, Ozzie should use the same line everytime... "Because I'm the ****ing manager!"

owensmouth
05-31-2005, 09:03 AM
Sure it qualifies... just as soon as Ozzie gives up his manager's post and heads back out to play shortstop for the Sox, a position he gave up seven years ago.

Ozzie is Buehrle's teammate????
:o:The manager's not part of the team?

PaleHoseGeorge
05-31-2005, 09:11 AM
The manager's not part of the team?

The manager is NOT a teammate. He is the manager, paid specifically to make decisions effecting other people. Somebody has to make these decisions, and Ozzie is the one paid to do it.

In other words, he is 100 percent different than Paul Konerko second-guessing teammate Juan Uribe.

I'm guessing you don't work in management do you? Believe me, it's no different at work. Once somebody is promoted to a management job things are never quite the same with the ol' crew. In fact where I work they won't let you become manager of your former piers without at least one other intervening promotion to separate you from your ol' crew.

Does that make it any clearer for you?
:?:

cheeses_h_rice
05-31-2005, 09:24 AM
former piers

I didn't know you were a dockworker, George.

:)

owensmouth
05-31-2005, 09:25 AM
The manager is NOT a teammate. He is the manager, paid specifically to make decisions effecting other people. Somebody has to make these decisions, and Ozzie is the one paid to do it.

In other words, he is 100 percent different than Paul Konerko second-guessing teammate Juan Uribe.

I'm guessing you don't work in management do you? Believe me, it's no different at work. Once somebody is promoted to a management job things are never quite the same with the ol' crew. In fact where I work they won't let you become manager of your former piers without at least one other intervening promotion to separate you from your ol' crew.

Does that make it any clearer for you?
:?:Okay, so he's just second guessing his manager?

PaleHoseGeorge
05-31-2005, 09:28 AM
I didn't know you were a dockworker, George.

I'm not. I'm Johnny Friendly.
:cool:

http://www.got.net/%7Emmills/poster/waterfront.jpg

PaleHoseGeorge
05-31-2005, 09:32 AM
Okay, so he's just second guessing his manager?

Yes that's exactly what I'm saying, a time-honored tradition throughout civilization.

I'm sure even Geronimo had some second-guessing braves in his tribe, too. Geronimo must choose between ignoring, chastising, or placating the second-guessers or sending the upstarts out of the tribe. After all, Geronimo is chief. It's his call, and he gets paid the wampum to prove it.

:jerry
"If I were Geronimo, I'd take Buehrle for ice cream."

D. TODD
05-31-2005, 09:39 AM
I was more disappointed with Ozzie's decision to pinch hit for Iguichi, then his use of Marte. With the infield in I would have liked the better contact hitter up, rather then a struggling Carl from the left side. Oh well, it all worked out and thankfully I'm back to .500 in games I've attended this year, (3-3) thanks to Timo.

owensmouth
05-31-2005, 09:42 AM
Yes that's exactly what I'm saying, a time-honored tradition throughout civilization.

I'm sure even Geronimo had some second-guessing braves in his tribe, too. Geronimo must choose between ignoring, chastising, or placating the second-guessers or sending the upstarts out of the tribe. After all, Geronimo is chief. It's his call, and he gets paid the wampum to prove it.

"If I were Geronimo, I'd take Buehrle for ice cream."Except in this case, the braves are often getting more wampum than Geronimo.

Sort of an exception to the rule,

PaleHoseGeorge
05-31-2005, 09:49 AM
Except in this case, the braves are often getting more wampum than Geronimo.

Sort of an exception to the rule,

Braves with OPS over 1000 (or ERA's under 3) are harder to replace than chiefs. Supply, demand...

:wink:

"The key to a happy clubhouse is plenty of trips to the Dairy Queen. Of course if my nephew could just keep his ice cream from melting all over my car's upholstery it would be a whole lot better..."

:hitless
"Hey shuddup old man! I'll let it melt where I want to and I'll wear gym shoes on the bench if I want to, too... oh, wait a minute!"

:KW
"He GAWN!"

tebman
05-31-2005, 10:02 AM
And Speaking of Bryan, my sons and I went to a Joliet Jackhammers game last week. Had a great time, the 'Hammers won, life is good. But one of the Monty Python-esque highlights of the night was that the Jackhammers were giving away Bryan Dolgin bobblehead dolls. They really were.

The dolls are good quality too. Now if in later years Bryan D. goes on to become a Hall of Fame Broadcaster, my sons and I will have the extremely rare and valuable Dolgin bobbleheads. :tongue: