PDA

View Full Version : Which commentator did you like?

swanson24
05-30-2005, 06:45 PM
As many of you know The Chicago White Sox have used some different broadcasters on road trips due to Ken Harrelson's inability to travel with the team on road trips. A few different people have filled in and done a great job. My question is who do White Sox fans believe did the best job in the booth?
I really don't want this thread to turn into a bash fest on Hawk or DJ because quite frankly that conversation is rather old. I look forward to hearing what White Sox fans have to say. Thanks, and keep cheering on the White Sox!

whitesoxfan
05-30-2005, 06:48 PM
Blackjack. He did a great job and his Uribe impersonation was great :D:

mealfred13
05-30-2005, 06:52 PM
Black Jack was Miss Cleo in disguise and had alot of great insight into the game. That said, I was also really impressed with Mike Huff, purely from the standpoint of his having a good voice and doing a good job keeping the game moving along without any hiccups.

Don Pall also had some really good insight into the pitchers, much like McDowell, and I really enjoyed the information he provided.

Finally, Ventura was a riot, and he made the game very fun and interesting.

Black Jack just seemed to have the whole package, so he has my vote, but all of the fill-ins were pretty impressive.

Shorty1983
05-30-2005, 06:55 PM
Blackjack. He did a great job and his Uribe impersonation was great :D:

That was hilarious. "Wen I see a fastball, I crush it"

I voted for Rockin' Robin but I also liked Blackjack, both are legit to take DJ's spot next year.

Don Pall and DJ both are great if your in the senior citizens age group.

I

TheOldRoman
05-30-2005, 06:59 PM
I thought Black Jack did a great job. He definately knew his stuff, and he carried the conversation well. He would be great in the booth at some point, but I would love to see the Sox bring him in as an assistant pitching coach or something when he wants to. He really could help in that manner.

Robin was really good also. I think the best Robin did was when he was in the booth with both Hawk and DJ. The three man booth was great. No silences. No awkward pauses. I hope the Sox decide to go to a three man booth in the future.

swanson24
05-30-2005, 07:13 PM
I've heard Black Jack on the Dan Patrick show before and he always sounded great. His opinions about the pitch count were very interesting. I believe one of the reason he is against the pitch count is because it doesn't take into account bullpen pitches thrown, amount of days rest the pitchers had and weather delays. Basically he said there are too many variables to rely on the pitch count, which is an opinion rarely heard now in major league baseball.

Daver
05-30-2005, 07:14 PM
From a pure knowledge of the game, as well as the players aspect, Mike Huff came out as the best prepeared and the most articulate of the lot, which surprised the hell out of me, because I figured the Sox were just saving airfare by using a Texas resident to sub for Hawk.

Jack was fine, but his perspective on the game was purely as a pitcher sees it, the same for Robin, his perspective was that of an infielder, neither one brought up anything about what should be done in a sitiuation, when to sacrifice, etc.

The pope had his moments, but for the most part he was simply brutal behind the mic.

beckett21
05-30-2005, 07:17 PM
From a pure knowledge of the game, as well as the players aspect, Mike Huff came out as the best prepeared and the most articulate of the lot, which surprised the hell out of me, because I figured the Sox were just saving airfare by using a Texas resident to sub for Hawk.

I agree. I was most impressed with Huff.

soxfan123
05-30-2005, 07:42 PM
That was hilarious. "Wen I see a fastball, I crush it"

That wasn't said by Mcdowell. It was by the director of transportations or something. That was hilarious. I voted Donn Pall because he worked well with DJ, unlike many people. I would like to hear his insight everyday if I had the choice.

Chez
05-31-2005, 10:23 AM
Ed Cassin, the Sox traveling secretary, did the Uribe impersonation. I thought Black Jack and Mike Huff were both great. And I thought DJ did a much better job with them than he normally does with Hawk.

kevingrt
05-31-2005, 10:28 AM
Nobody did it better then Blackjack, not even DJ

ja1022
05-31-2005, 10:33 AM
I didn't hear Huff. That aside, Blackjack, going away.

Baby Fisk
05-31-2005, 11:08 AM
Black Jack all the way. DJ is very weak in comparison.

mweflen
05-31-2005, 12:28 PM
Black Jack was by far the best. Don Pall sounded like he was huffing helium balloons, Robin sounded strung out, and Huff was a bore. McDowell offered some incredible insight into pitching theory, and never suffered from dead air.

I don't get the DJ bashing, though. I like him. He offers some good insights into the mind of a hitter, and tells good stories - and his game calling is very servicable.

mantis1212
05-31-2005, 01:12 PM
After seeing the results of this poll, I really wish I was able to hear what Black Jack had to say. I voted for Huff, because I thought he was excellent. He really kept the flow going. Donn Pall was just boring, and Robin was mildly entertaining, but with not much insight. (Although everyone I heard I would prefer over DJ)

Was Black Jack only on that Thursday broadcast? I wonder if Sox Management is having the same thoughts we are about a new color guy...

Jerko
05-31-2005, 01:16 PM
Blackjack
Huff
Robin
Pall

in that order.

Frater Perdurabo
05-31-2005, 01:31 PM
I can only vote based on what I heard. I heard the Pall and DJ duo, the Huff and DJ duo and the Hawk, DJ and Robin trio. I liked the trio the best. It's too bad I wasn't able to catch any of the games with Black Jack.

That being said, does anyone know for how long will Hawk be unable to fly?

Uncle_Patrick
05-31-2005, 01:59 PM
I voted Blackjack, because he seemed to be the most comfortable in the both and was very knowledgeable. I didn't mind either the Pope or Ventura, but, to me, they sounded like exactly what they were: a couple of ex-players invited to sit in the booth. To me, McDowell sounded like someone who actually be an announcer.

I only got hear a few snippets of Mike Huff. He sounded good when I heard him, but I didn't hear enough to form any real solid opinion of him.

Epark84
05-31-2005, 03:32 PM
Ill take anyone over DJ

swanson24
05-31-2005, 04:23 PM
One of the great things about having Black Jack in the booth is that the twenty something (age) viewers might like the idea of having someone in the booth they remember seeing in a White Sox uniform on a consistent basis. Who can forget his Cy Young Award season in 1993! One word: "Phenomenal" . While DJ has played for the White Sox before they were brief stints 94 and I believe 99.
I don't dislike DJ or Hawk I just enjoy listening to Black Jack. :cool:

mccoydp
05-31-2005, 04:24 PM
Blackjack was the best.

Robin Ventura was a close second.

Cubsuck_a_lot
05-31-2005, 04:31 PM
don pall sounds like a muppet. i found it very distracting.

jack was the best. good pitching info and great all around commentary...especially ignoring DJ when he makes a stupid comment

SOXSINCE'70
05-31-2005, 05:22 PM
The best was McDowell,hands down.

His analysis of what Contreras ahould do with Dallas McPherson
was right on the money."Black Jack" said if he were facing a
left handed batter (like McPherson) and had runners on with 2 outs,
he'd want to bury that lefty with his splitter.Too bad Contreras
went with a straight fastball that went over Rowand's head
(and the center field wall) for what became a game winning
3 run homer.:(:

lostletters
06-01-2005, 01:34 AM
Black Jack. Even though he was only around for one game, he was spot on. He was far better then any other of the guest commentators. He had great insight.

Additionally people forget he was a sports analyst for Yahoo! at one point. He knows a great deal about the game.

Personally if the Hawk retires, I say bring in BlackJack as a replacement, he is just great. He has the charmisma and the knowledge that marks a true great as far as on air personality.

swanson24
06-01-2005, 03:22 PM
Someone in this thread had brought up the idea of a three man booth with Hawk DJ and another person (probably one of these four listed in the poll quesion itself, but not necessarily). I'm curious to know what people think about the possibility of a three man booth?

daveeym
06-01-2005, 04:21 PM
Anyone notice how this was the comcast interactive poll during the game last night?

swanson24
06-02-2005, 02:47 PM
Yes I noticed but I can't be too condescending because I got the idea from the Mac, Jurko and Harry Show. I put it up there because I wanted to know what Sox fans thought and the MJ and H show has a lot of Cubs fans in their audience. That being said I believe Black Jack lead in the MJ and H poll while Robin lead in the Comcast poll.
:cool:

drillrod
06-05-2005, 11:54 AM
it is not so much who was, or is, the best fill in for O'l one eye and two words Harrelson, but rather... why we didn't use the best Sox analyst available... Belt'n Bill Melton. It would not have been a contest if Melty was in the booth!