PDA

View Full Version : Steve Phillips is a MORON!!!!

SpartanSoxFan
05-30-2005, 07:34 PM
So after the conclusion of the WGN telecast of our exciting comeback win, I flip over to ESPN to catch SportsCenter...low and behold they have that stupid blowhard analyst Steve Phillips on, and hes saying that he doesn't think the Sox have enough offense to win the division, and the Twins will eventually catch them. In the next breath, he's asked who will win the AL wildcard and he said it would come down to the Twins and Rangers, and he would take the Twins to win it! Make up your mind, genius! The Twins can't win the wildcard AND the division. :rolleyes:

whitesoxfan
05-30-2005, 07:35 PM
So after the conclusion of the WGN telecast of our exciting comeback win, I flip over to ESPN to catch SportsCenter...low and behold they have that stupid blowhard analyst Steve Phillips on, and hes saying that he doesn't think the Sox have enough offense to win the division, and the Twins will eventually catch them. In the next breath, he's asked who will win the AL wildcard and he said it would come down to the Twins and Rangers, and he would take the Twins to win it! Make up your mind, genius! The Twins can't win the wildcard AND the division. :rolleyes:

LOL! what an idiot. Some of those "analysts" on the Yankees-Red Sox network are pathetic.

Charno
05-30-2005, 07:37 PM
He "probably thinks the "struggling" Indians will take the division, or the "new-look" Tigers.

PAPChiSox729
05-30-2005, 07:38 PM

Wow. The first part really didn't surprise me. But saying that the Twins would win both the division and the wildcard, that is just sad.

WhiteSoxFan84
there's a reason the mets sucked when he was their GM. and that one world series they reached was BS. a fluke season full of lucky crap left and right. good job signing mo vaughn, robbie alomar, and company you dooshbag. espn does a lot of things wrong and one of them is signing every former baseball player, manager, or gm they can get their hands on.

whitesoxfan
He "probably thinks the "struggling" Indians will take the division, or the "new-look" Tigers.

don't forget the "newly led" Royals. A new manager is all they need to win this division :rolleyes:

WhiteSoxFan84
Wow. The first part really didn't surprise me. But saying that the Twins would win both the division and the wildcard, that is just sad.

what? are you saying it's not possible? how DARE you call phillips a liar. bow down and kiss his foot!

soxjim
05-30-2005, 07:43 PM

I thought thats what I herd. I also thought he said by weeks end. The twins would catch the SOX

jabrch
05-30-2005, 07:50 PM
Phillips was asked who he felt would win the division IF it came down to the Twins and the Rangers. He first said that he thinks both of those teams will press for the division and not the Wild Card. However, the question was IF it came down to them. ESPN has its share of dopes, and Phillips may well be one of them. This, however, was not his fault.

Lip Man 1
05-30-2005, 07:54 PM
Until the Twins have been defeated by the Sox they still will have (with good reason) their supporters.

That being said who cares what the media thinks, if the Sox take care of
business it won't matter.

Lip

MHOUSE
05-30-2005, 08:19 PM
Keep in mind that these are the "sharpest minds in the game". Give me a break. EaStPN sucks!

TornLabrum
05-30-2005, 08:25 PM

I happened to be in the car when Silvy and Carmen were on this morning, and Phillips said the same thing on their show. When he was finished, DeFalco said that when the season was over, they'd invite him to be in a dunk tank at The Cell.

The only thing the Sox can do to shut clowns like Phillips up is win.

PAPChiSox729
05-30-2005, 08:27 PM
When he was finished, DeFalco said that when the season was over, they'd invite him to be in a dunk tank at The Cell.

Not a bad idea... Could you imagine how long the line would be?!

:D:

buehrle4cy05
05-30-2005, 08:44 PM
Steve Phillips said something stupid? What a shocker! Maybe he should be rehired by the Mets to be their GM!

gosox41
05-30-2005, 08:50 PM

Don't know much about what he said, but I'm questioning the Sox offense.

Bob

jehosaphat
05-30-2005, 08:51 PM

A lot of these national announcers don't do their homework and are simply blowhards. If you actually don't know anything to say, the easiest thing is to prognosticate, and the easiest prognostication is to go with the team who won last year. I doubt if Phillips has put much thought, let alone research, into his analysis. His guess is as good, and as poor, as anyone elses.

67sox
05-30-2005, 09:45 PM
lets see how the rangers old up during the dog days of July and August when its 105 everyday in Texas, but that's right, its a DRY heat...but those Twins never stop.

balke
05-30-2005, 10:08 PM
Its pretty obvious that the Twins are going to stick with the SOx all season. Maybe someday they'll even catch us for like a week, just to drop back to 2nd a week later. We've already beaten those losers this year, and we have better pitching. I can accept this.

I watched the ESPN broadcast, and during a SOX game, they were all at a concensus that the Twins were going to win the division, and "like the Braves, the AL Central goes through the Twins". *****, not while I'm watching my team, leave that crap to the Minnesota telecasts. They let brentley or whoever the guy is do the Sox broadcast again, he did it last year. All he does is bash the Sox every chance he gets, like a secret vendetta. I remember last season, he made a point to talk about the Cubs all throughout the Sox telecast, and how horrible our stadium is because its not called Commiskey. I hate that moron.

rowand33
05-30-2005, 10:10 PM
there's a reason the mets sucked when he was their GM. and that one world series they reached was BS. a fluke season full of lucky crap left and right. good job signing mo vaughn, robbie alomar, and company you dooshbag. espn does a lot of things wrong and one of them is signing every former baseball player, manager, or gm they can get their hands on.

To be fair, we're really in no position to make fun of somebody for acquiring Robbie Alomar...

:smile:

fquaye149
05-30-2005, 10:23 PM
To be fair, we're really in no position to make fun of somebody for acquiring Robbie Alomar...

:smile:

considering how much more he paid than we did, i think it's still fair game.

Brian26
05-30-2005, 10:34 PM
:farmer

"Maybe Steve Phillips and his goatee actually need to show up and watch us play!"

:rooney

(laughing off mic)

buehrle4cy05
05-30-2005, 10:51 PM
Watching ESPN News, Phillips is on again...here's what he said:

...and it was cut off by sportscenter. Maybe a good thing, as I might have been throwing stuff after hearing Phillips say something extrememly stupid...again.

mccoydp
05-30-2005, 10:54 PM
lets see how the rangers old up during the dog days of July and August when its 105 everyday in Texas, but that's right, its a DRY heat...but those Twins never stop.

Nothing dry about the Arlington-Dallas-Fort Worth area in July and August...you don't get good dry heat until you head out west to Midland/Odessa and El Paso.

soxfan26
05-30-2005, 11:14 PM
I watched the game on ESPN2 this afternoon and some ass kept talking about the Sox closer, "Chad" Hermanson!! ***?

ShoelessJoeS
05-31-2005, 01:02 AM

oh but the sox can

Kogs35
05-31-2005, 01:24 AM
I watched the game on ESPN2 this afternoon and some ass kept talking about the Sox closer, "Chad" Hermanson!! ***?

jeff brantly

fquaye149
05-31-2005, 01:45 AM
jeff brantly

he called him chad during the game and there was like a 30 second silence. I think stoney and the other guy were trying to decide whether to correct "JB" and maybe even JB himself was trying to decide whether to admit he was wrong.

Chad? I don't even know where that comes from.

Maybe he spent a lot of time in florida in 2000

Huisj
05-31-2005, 02:17 AM
he called him chad during the game and there was like a 30 second silence. I think stoney and the other guy were trying to decide whether to correct "JB" and maybe even JB himself was trying to decide whether to admit he was wrong.

Chad? I don't even know where that comes from.

Maybe he spent a lot of time in florida in 2000

Chad Hermanson gave up baseball two years ago because he couldn't throw strikes, right? He went back to play in the NFL because every time the Cardinals called him up he walked a million guys, and then he went down to AAA and walked a million more.

EDIT, my bad, I just realized that was Hutchinson. my bad. Chad Hermanson was an outfielder with someone . .. the Pirates maybe?

thepaulbowski
05-31-2005, 08:07 AM
Not a bad idea... Could you imagine how long the line would be?!

:D:

I don't know, but Farmer would be first in line.

SoxWillWin
05-31-2005, 08:19 AM

I will now remind everyone of ESPN's recent accomplishment

{Mod Edit: The Windsock will get no promotion on this website, even in a negative light}

{SoxWillWin Edit: Not being able to get a laugh at the windsocks expense makes it look like this website is scared of him}

{Mod Edit: Start your own website, make your own rules. Enjoy your vacation from here}

owensmouth
05-31-2005, 08:56 AM
I was listening to The Expert on Mike and Mike this morning. What he said this morning was that he felt that two teams were winning despite their poor team batting averages, poor number of runs scored and poor success in driving in runners from scoring positions. The two teams: the Atlanta Braves and the Chicago White Sox.

As far as the Sox are concerned, it sounds like he is talking on the macro level while we are talking on the micro level.

We complain about Crede, Dye, Konerko, Timo, and Everett, amoung others. Phillips is taking the cumulative of those guys and saying that 1) they probably won't improve therefore 2) their position is probably gonna slip. He admitted that we had sufficient pitching to go the distance.

I don't necessarily agree with him, but the truth is, we've just been treading water for the past two weeks. Heat up those bats a little and we'll be back on a run.

tstrike2000
05-31-2005, 11:01 AM
Yes, the Sox still have to prove themselves and win this division, but after countless threads about ESPN "analysts" it amazes me how clueless people like Jeff Brantley and Phillips are. It seems all they get paid to do is make comments putting down teams they don't like and tell who they do like. They are supposed to point out legitimate pros and cons to every team and make a fair assesment. Blanket statements like, "I don't think the Sox pitching or hitting will hold up," are ridiculous statements because anybody can say that. They could pay some homeless guy to come in off the street a lot less money to give commentary on who will win because that's his favorite team.

Ol' No. 2
05-31-2005, 11:22 AM
I was listening to The Expert on Mike and Mike this morning. What he said this morning was that he felt that two teams were winning despite their poor team batting averages, poor number of runs scored and poor success in driving in runners from scoring positions. The two teams: the Atlanta Braves and the Chicago White Sox.

As far as the Sox are concerned, it sounds like he is talking on the macro level while we are talking on the micro level.

We complain about Crede, Dye, Konerko, Timo, and Everett, amoung others. Phillips is taking the cumulative of those guys and saying that 1) they probably won't improve therefore 2) their position is probably gonna slip. He admitted that we had sufficient pitching to go the distance.

I don't necessarily agree with him, but the truth is, we've just been treading water for the past two weeks. Heat up those bats a little and we'll be back on a run.Phillips is talking on a macro level because he hasn't a clue what he's talking about. I'll bet he can't name more than 5 current White Sox players. What rational person would expect Konerko, Dye, Everett, Crede and Uribe to ALL continue to hit below .250?

kevingrt
05-31-2005, 11:31 AM
ESPN hates us. How many times did the ESPN booth rip Ozzie's pitching moves and say we aren't going to go anywhere with Ozzie on the bench. When listening to Sutcliffe, I believe, I wanted to take a gun to the television set.

Hangar18
05-31-2005, 11:42 AM
I thought thats what I herd. I also thought he said by weeks end. The twins would catch the SOX

Well, if he predicted the Twinks would catch us, hes not that far off

fquaye149
05-31-2005, 12:07 PM
Well, if he predicted the Twinks would catch us, hes not that far off

Let me Guess. Is Phillips hatred Of the Sox
A product of JR's UNWILLINGNESS to Spend
Money to Assure positive Media Coverage?

FarWestChicago
05-31-2005, 04:11 PM
Let me Guess. Is Phillips hatred Of the Sox
A product of JR's UNWILLINGNESS to Spend
Money to Assure positive Media Coverage?Absolutely!!

SOXSINCE'70
05-31-2005, 06:25 PM

Now we know why Omar Minaya has a GM job and this
drillrod doesn't.To quote many a poster,if Steve Phillips doesn't
like the White Sox,WE DON'T CARE!! :mad: :mad:

tsamdog
05-31-2005, 07:52 PM
I heard the same schtick from Phillips as well. He also said that the Sox pitching staff 1-12 can compete with anyone; HOWEVER, Phillips also said that the staff was not the best on the front end, NOR the back end. Now if I understand Phillips-speak, he says that our 1-2 (and maybe 3) starters are not that good, AND our closer (who hasn't allowed an earned run all year) is not the best. That may be so.......but it sure as crap is working now! His big thing about the Twinks is the great Johan Santana. Phillips said that with Johan on the mound, he'd put his money on the Twinks.

I would welcome a thread on a Buehrle v. Santana debate, but MB's consistency vs. JS's strikeout potential may just be a style over substance discussion. Don't get me wrong, JS is an outstanding talent; he proved it last year and the beginning of this season. The point is that MB may be the most underrated 'ace' in baseball.

JMHO

balke
05-31-2005, 11:11 PM
I heard the same schtick from Phillips as well. He also said that the Sox pitching staff 1-12 can compete with anyone; HOWEVER, Phillips also said that the staff was not the best on the front end, NOR the back end. Now if I understand Phillips-speak, he says that our 1-2 (and maybe 3) starters are not that good, AND our closer (who hasn't allowed an earned run all year) is not the best. That may be so.......but it sure as crap is working now! His big thing about the Twinks is the great Johan Santana. Phillips said that with Johan on the mound, he'd put his money on the Twinks.

I would welcome a thread on a Buehrle v. Santana debate, but MB's consistency vs. JS's strikeout potential may just be a style over substance discussion. Don't get me wrong, JS is an outstanding talent; he proved it last year and the beginning of this season. The point is that MB may be the most underrated 'ace' in baseball.

JMHO

I've always thought Buehrle is better as far as long term results. It was just too hard to argue it with Johan winning every game he started in the second half of last season. Johan is great, I just think Mark is a smarter pitcher, that has more a better body for long term results. That might be a biased notion, but I still think heads up Buehrle will have a better career, and similar best years as Johan.

iamkoza
05-31-2005, 11:47 PM
Phillips on OTL last night was quite amusing... we should ask him how he could possibly suck so bad with the mets?