PDA

View Full Version : *Official* TIMO is CLUTCH Thread!!!

Bisco Stu
05-30-2005, 06:57 PM
Yeah!

MHOUSE
05-30-2005, 06:58 PM
What more can you say? Two-run single to win it!!:bandance:

Jerry Seinfeld
05-30-2005, 06:59 PM
Ha ha ha I love it.:supernana::supernana::supernana:

RKMeibalane
Thank God!

Blueprint1
phew. I am happy right now.

SoxxoS
05-30-2005, 07:00 PM
Please look to the gamethread and call out the people who were making fun of Timo and saying the game was over. You know who you are...and I am delighted you were wrong.

:supernana:

krohnjw
Wow, What a day....

I love the win but not the bullpen. Great job by MB again. Let's keep this rolling and get that hip fixed up Frank :cool:

:bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

ChiWhiteSox1337
Clutch hitters don't exist!

halfpricemonday
I'd pay money to hear Ozzie's post game talk with the media. I have no idea what he could possibly say about this win, but I'm guessing it will be vintage Ozzie.

CYGarland20
I don't believe what i just saw :o:

delben91
"STAY FAIR!!!!......IT WILL!!!!!!!!"

:D:

cheeses_h_rice
05-30-2005, 07:01 PM
I turned the TV off after Iguchi blew the DP and then Marte's first pitch to the next batter was a base hit.

Glad I turned it back on.

One of the most tense finishes I've ever seen.

Thank you, Timo Perez.

:gulp::bandance::gulp::bandance::gulp::bandance::g ulp:

TaylorStSox
3 unlikely heroes today. Harris, Timo and Crede had great AB's in the 9th. It's only May, but this win was pretty big.

SoxSpeed22
What more can you say? Two-run single to win it!!:bandance:I haven't felt this &^%#in' angry after a win since last year's 11-8 win with Valentin's walk off HR. For those who weren't there, we were up 8-0. At least they did 1 good thing in the 9th today. Instead of 3-2, it's 4-5.:cuss:
I guess I'll go with it.

RKMeibalane
Please look to the gamethread and call out the people who were making fun of Timo and saying the game was over. You know who you are...and I am delighted you were wrong.

I admit it. I was wrong.

*eats more crow*

whitesoxfan

hey im delighted I'm wrong too :D: with all the bad decisions Ozzie made in the game, i can't believe leaving Timo in would be the move that would pay off. What a game. This is the type of win that can start a big winning streak.

Mark didn't deserve to lose, but I'm sure he won't care because the team got the win. Hopefully Frank will be ready to go tomorrow as well.

:winner

cheeses_h_rice

:redface::redface::redface::redface::redface:

T-Bone
Wow.

Timo...

Wow.

BeviBall!
05-30-2005, 07:02 PM
I admit it. I was wrong.

*eats more crow*

EVERYONE is eating crow. Not one person living could have had faith in Timo there.

RKMeibalane
05-30-2005, 07:03 PM
Frank should be benched for the rest of the year, and Timo should always play.

PAPChiSox729
That was amazing, well everything except the top of the 9th. But hey, a win is a win.

:bandance: :supernana: :bandance: :supernana: :bandance:

spongyfungy
I haven't been this mad during a late inning rally like this in a while. We can't keep winning with this crazyball.

FarWestChicago
You know what, with the way the season's been going, we'll end up winning this game.

That's the crazy game of baseball.LOL!! Now that was the single best post of the game thread.

:cleo

Dat JRIG got game, mon!

Bisco Stu
05-30-2005, 07:04 PM
Timo was a major factor in the Mets winning the 2000 NL pennant, so it doesn't surprise some of us.

Sox 16th one-run win of the season already!

Ironically, the crowd got real quiet when Timo replaced Frank, and then Timo ends up with the biggest cheers.

That's baseball. From goat to hero in a single swing.

Milkman43
05-30-2005, 07:05 PM
Most importantly Sox win, but i think Ozzie made some bad moves. First he lifts Mark for Damaso who is struggling. I know he can't do anything about the botched double-play ball but he then leaves Marte to pitch to the right-handed Quinlan. I also don't understand why he pinch hits for Iguchi. First of all Tad has a chip on his shoulder and is a great contact hitter. He lets Carl bat who not only is strugglilng horribly from the left-side but also strikes out a lot. What do you guys think? Way to go Timo!!

WikdChiSoxFan
05-30-2005, 07:06 PM
I haven't been this mad during a late inning rally like this in a while. We can't keep winning with this crazyball.

usually, i have a distinct strategy when watching the game, switching seats, wearing different caps forwards backwards sideways...for mostly superstitious reasons....I'm glad my stomping around the apartment swaring at the TV brought good luck this time

hose
I turned the TV off after Iguchi blew the DP and then Marte's first pitch to the next batter was a base hit.

Glad I turned it back on.

One of the most tense finishes I've ever seen.

Thank you, Timo Perez.

:gulp::bandance::gulp::bandance::gulp::bandance::g ulp:

I did the same exact thing.

I went out and did a little work in the flower bed came back in to see Timo win it.:bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance::bandan ce:

may be the start of a winning streak.

swanson24
What a game! What a team! I love the 2005 White Sox!

Soxzilla
Ozzie did everything in his power to lose this game, and yet we still won.

Where is Voodoo to tell me how many dancin' nana's we are up!:cool:

halfpricemonday
05-30-2005, 07:07 PM
Okay, I know I'm being greedy, but I need a blowout tomorrow. I'm pretty sure my HMO won't cover a Sox-related heart condition. And I don't think sending the hospital bill to Reinsdorf will do me any good.

swanson24
Let's hope the Big Hurt is okay. Hawk said he left the game with a hip flexor injury.

G-Ville Sox
At'a'boy Timo

:gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

Drink on this Memorial Day and be Merry!

mccoydp
05-30-2005, 07:09 PM
This game was hard to watch...I knew the Angels were going to even it up when they chipped away at Beuhrle for two runs, and there was -zilch- for Sox offensive support.

I said "Oh no" to Timo when he came to bat in the ninth, but am glad he came through.

This was a big win...keeps the Twins back four games, and they're idle today.

My fingernails are gone, though, and I cursed Marte to high heaven.

swanson24
7!

Cowhead418
Wow. I was at a restaurant during the game and was using my dad's cell phone to check the score every few minutes. When I saw that they had blown the lead in the 9th, I went into a fit of anger while my mom tried to still be positive. I kept saying "They lost. They lost. There is no way they win now." We got back in time to see the bottom of the 9th. After the game was over my mom yelled at me and said she was the "true fan" because she kept faith in the Sox. I am sure glad I was proved wrong!:supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana:

TheOldRoman
Ozzie did everything in his power to lose this game, and yet we still won.

Where is Voodoo to tell me how many dancin' nana's we are up!:cool:
"Now pinch posting for Voodoochile...
THE OOOOOLD ROOOOOOMAN!"

:supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana:

Garlandfan33
I did the same exact thing.

I went out and did a little work in the flower bed came back in to see Timo win it.:bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance::bandan ce:

may be the start of a winning streak.Did the exact same thing except I went on a two mile run(training for cross countryhttp://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/images/icons/icon10.gif) and came back to watch the replay of Timo's hit. Can't complain a win is a win and we gained a half game on minnesota.

Milkman43
05-30-2005, 07:11 PM
anyone going tomorrow night? I think im gonna go down. Im so excited!

kittle42
05-30-2005, 07:12 PM
Excellent win. We should all be happy. Clutch pitching by Politte and an awesome job, as usual, by Buehrle. Another clutch hit by Timo. You can put that on the board.

*Warning - criticism ahead*

As Hawk said, we should have had 7-8 runs after the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. As someone in this thread mentioned (and as DJ said, too), Marte should have faced McPherson, and then Hermanson should have been brought in. This isn't second-guessing, as I think 90% of us agreed with him at the time.

Also, despite how it worked out with Timo, I thought Iguchi should should have been allowed to hit, and (awaits backlash), Carl should have possibly pinch-hit for Timo.

Nevertheless, the Sox actually got many men on today, and though they didn't score as many as they should, they scored just as many as they needed. Let's come back and take No. 2 tomorrow!

FarWestChicago
05-30-2005, 07:12 PM
When I saw that they had blown the lead in the 9th, I went into a fit of anger while my mom tried to still be positive. I kept saying "They lost. They lost. There is no way they win now." We got back in time to see the bottom of the 9th. After the game was over my mom yelled at me and said she was the "true fan" because she kept faith in the Sox.Your mother is a wise woman. :thumbsup:

DickAllen72
05-30-2005, 07:13 PM
I haven't felt this &^%#in' angry after a win since last year's 11-8 win with Valentin's walk off HR. :cuss:
I guess I'll go with it.

I'm with you. What happened to the theory that Frank was gonna make Konerko a good hitter? Konerko isn't that good. :angry: Crede sucks. :angry: Iguchi had a rough day. :(:

Still, Sox won. :bandance:

Be thankful that Vlad isn't playing yet!!!

hose
05-30-2005, 07:14 PM
Did the exact same thing except I went on a two mile run(training for cross countryhttp://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/images/icons/icon10.gif) and came back to watch the replay of Timo's hit. Can't complain a win is a win and we gained a half game on minnesota.

2 mile run probably would have been better than snipping flowers.

I sort of over did it.

Willie stole 2nd with Josh Paul behind the plate:cool:

wsoxfan
05-30-2005, 07:14 PM
we sucked today with the bases loaded and everett just sucks period! I also hope we can get a major league 3B sometime this year too, thank God we won cause i was pissed off that whole 9th inning...

DickAllen72
05-30-2005, 07:21 PM
Excellent win. We should all be happy.
I disagree. It was a very lucky win. I'll take it, but I wouldn't call it an excellent win, and I'm both angry and happy at the same time.
Also, despite how it worked out with Timo, I thought Iguchi should should have been allowed to hit, and (awaits backlash), Carl should have possibly pinch-hit for Timo.

I agree 100%. And I admire you for coming out and saying so after the way it turned out. As I said, I'm happy with the way it turned out, but I think we just got lucky.

halfpricemonday
05-30-2005, 07:22 PM
Well, there you go. I think Ozzie just mentioned Hermy couldn't go in the 9th. I couldn't catch the exact medical reason, but that explains one part of that crazy top of the 9th.

Edit: Or maybe not. I may have heard Ozzie wrong. Oh well.

spongyfungy
05-30-2005, 07:23 PM
Ozzie was worried about Erstad.

infohawk
05-30-2005, 07:24 PM
That was very Jeff Abbott-esque! Still, Ozzie should not be let off the hook here. The Marte and Everett decisions were the worst all season.

This was just a weird, weird game. We left a lot of guys on base in key situations, the Angels had opportunities to score more runs, too. The usually reliable Iguchi flubs a possible game-ending double play, the struggling bench comes alive in the bottom of the ninth. Even though the offense struggled in certain situations, I was glad to see that we had baserunners. Baby steps! In all seriousness, most of the games will come down to one or two big plays or situations, at least until the offense starts giving the pitchers more breathing room.

pmck003
05-30-2005, 07:25 PM
Most importantly Sox win, but i think Ozzie made some bad moves. First he lifts Mark for Damaso who is struggling. I know he can't do anything about the botched double-play ball but he then leaves Marte to pitch to the right-handed Quinlan. I also don't understand why he pinch hits for Iguchi. First of all Tad has a chip on his shoulder and is a great contact hitter. He lets Carl bat who not only is strugglilng horribly from the left-side but also strikes out a lot. What do you guys think? Way to go Timo!!

Maybe Ozzie feels he has to manage more because of his new contract. If you rip on him for this game, I feel you also have to give him credit for harris and timo being in the game.

WhiteSoxFan84
05-30-2005, 07:26 PM
I think it's EXTREMELY safe to say that Timo just saved Ozzie from a lot of media bashing. It'll still come, but it could've been MUCH worse.

I can see it now, a reporter asks Ozzie why he didn't take Buehrle after he gave up the first hit or why he kept Marte in so long or why he pinch-hit for Iguchi and Ozzie says while laughing, "What fun would that have been? I want to keep you all on the edge of your seats. I knew we'd win" and the media laughs it off.

DickAllen72
05-30-2005, 07:26 PM
we sucked today with the bases loaded and everett just sucks period! I also hope we can get a major league 3B sometime this year too, thank God we won cause i was pissed off that whole 9th inning...

I agree with everything except the part about Everett. Everett is a good hitter who is just in a slump. Carl is the clubhouse leader and will be a big part of this team's success as he has already been earlier this year.

tstrike2000
05-30-2005, 07:27 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v283/deputy_of_reno/JediPerez.jpg After being down on Timo for a while, awesome time for him to come through.

dcb33
05-30-2005, 07:28 PM
Well, there you go. I think Ozzie just mentioned Hermy couldn't go in the 9th. I couldn't catch the exact medical reason, but that explains one part of that crazy top of the 9th.

Ozzie was probably making up some bunk to cover his butt for mishandling the situation. If Hermy really did have a medical condition, then why was he warming up in the bullpen? If he's healthy enough to be warmed up and ready to go in, then he's healthy enough to pitch in the game.

compy75
05-30-2005, 07:29 PM
The main question is...with a .170 hitter coming up next, why pinch hit for your top hitter??(avg wise) I just don't understand that the most.

"Hey, let's pull a .302 hitter for a .235 hitter." You know makes sense.

infohawk
05-30-2005, 07:29 PM

I'll play back seat manager and say that I probably would have pinch hit with A.J. instead of Everett in that situation. Carl's been struggling from the left side and A.J. is a contact hitter and less prone to strikeout. It ended up working out fine, though. I guess the danger is if A.J. were to get hurt, Konerko would have to catch as the emergency catcher.

tebman
05-30-2005, 07:32 PM
The first thing I thought of at the end of the game was that Iguchi owes Perez a steak dinner! :D:

Now that I've calmed down I have to agree with so many others that the hitting is scary. The Sox can't keep leaving guys on base when there are chances to score. I'm going to age 20 years this season if this keeps up.

Shorty1983
05-30-2005, 07:33 PM
This one is for Chico & the fallen soldiers, may they rest in peace.

A White Sox winner.

WhiteSoxFan84
05-30-2005, 07:34 PM

here's what ozzie was saying...

:ozzie
"Hermies was ahhhh.... going to...ahhh... the bathroom... he had that thing... whats it called... where you poop a lot... yeh that. So he wasn't available in the 9th...."

Brad Palmer: "But Ozzie, we saw Hermanson warming up in th..."

Ozzie: "What's your problem mang? You been on my ass since day one. Are you jealous or something? You need to get a life and a girlfriend."

halfpricemonday
05-30-2005, 07:35 PM
here's what ozzie was saying...

:ozzie
"Hermies was ahhhh.... going to...ahhh... the bathroom... he had that thing... whats it called... where you poop a lot... yeh that. So he wasn't available in the 9th...."

Brad Palmer: "But Ozzie, we saw Hermanson warming up in th..."

Ozzie: "What's your problem mang? You been on my ass since day one. Are you jealous or something? You need to get a life and a girlfriend."

LOL! Yup, that's exactly what I heard!

dcb33
The first thing I thought of at the end of the game was that Iguchi owes Perez a steak dinner! :D:

I wonder why Ozzie pulled out Iguchi for Everett. I realize that Shields is brutal for right handers, but Carl is equally brutal on the left side of the plate. I'm sure Iguchi, the team's best contact hitter, would've enjoyed the chance for redemption.

Cubbiesuck13
Ozzie was probably making up some bunk to cover his butt for mishandling the situation. If Hermy really did have a medical condition, then why was he warming up in the bullpen? If he's healthy enough to be warmed up and ready to go in, then he's healthy enough to pitch in the game.

Why would the Oz have to make stuff up? Don't you think he would just swear them up and down instead? You never know what the circumstances are. The only intelligent thing Rob Dibble ever said was to that effect.

ChiSoxGirl
While I love the fact that we won today, it was anything but pretty.

Some of my thoughts...

It warmed my heart to see 38,000+ rise to their feet to welcome back Big Frank. Hurry back from that hip flexor injury, buddy!
I loved the clutch, two-out hitting by Rowand in the 3rd.
Two-out hitting- period- today was more than decent.
ScottyPo was awesome going 2-for-4, and his sacrifice bunt in the 9th set the table for the W.
Buehrle was Buehrle and deserved better than the L he was on the hook for and the ND he ended up with.
I questioned Ozzie left & right about leaving Buehrle in to start the 9th. I understand his pitch count was in the low-mid 90s and wanted him to get the win, but that's just it- it was in the low-mid 90s.
Once Buehrle allowed that first baserunner, I turned into the armchair manager and was requesting Hermanson or Politte *then!*
Iguchi's rare error proved detrimental to what could've been a nice one-run win without the dramatics. The top of the 9th was just plain UGLY!
I liked Harris PHing in the bottom of the 9th.
Crazy Carl... not so much! 3 damn pitches!
Kudos to Crede for his best at-bat of the afternoon, working that walk from an 0-2 count.
I luuuuvvv Timo's clutch hitting; he was SO DUE! :bandance:
I don't want to say this game was a must win, but it definitely feels like a big weight has been lifted off our shoulders, even as a fan. We gained a 1/2 game on the Twins, which we also needed. Let's :gulp:to this one tonight and bring 'em on again tomorrow night with Garcia on the bump! :bandance:

whitesoxfan
05-30-2005, 07:37 PM
Frank not playing tomorrow according to Sportsnite.

he is day-to-day.

mealfred13
05-30-2005, 07:39 PM
First off, AWESOME WIN, and I'm extremely pleased to see Timo back to his clutch ways (hopefully). And now, onto my criticisms. Feel free to flame me afterwards:

First off, I won't knock the Harris for Uribe pinch hit, because Willie is faster and much more likely to draw a walk and get on base, and he's a lefty, so the matchup was better. Here's where it gets sticky.

WHY in God's name would Ozzie leave Crede in, if he wanted him to bunt? Crede tried to bunt twice without success and luckily drew a walk. If Ozzie wanted the sac bunt, why didn't he put Ozuna in. Ozuna is an excellent bunter, he's much faster than Crede, and he might have had a chance to beat out a throw to first with a really good bunt. If Crede wasn't swinging, he shouldn't have been up to bat.

Then, I have absolutely no understanding why he'd put Carl in at this point after Crede walked. Other than the fact he's a lefty, there was no reason to put him in, especially over Iguchi. Iguchi is our best hitter, he can drive the ball yard, he is our best fundamental hitter (he can hit the other way to move runners, sac fly, etc.), and he should have been given a chance to redeem himself. Why put Carl in, particularly when he's struggling at the plate from the left side?

Finally, Timo was extremely clutch last year, but he hadn't done jack until today. Why not pull him in favor of any other lefty off the bench, like Pierzynski even? If he'd played it out right from the get-go, the game should have been tied with 1 out by the time Timo would have been up, and a sac fly would have won it.

In any event, I hate to play armchair manager, but I was in shock with the 9th inning hitting situation, knowing there were better options off the bench. I'm glad it turned out well for us, and if anything, it's doubly good for Timo, Crede, and Willie with their great at-bats, but does anyone else agree the inning should have been handled MUCH differently?

*puts on flame-retardant suit*

WhiteSoxFan84
05-30-2005, 07:40 PM
Frank not playing tomorrow according to Sportsnite.

whether he was injured today or not, i think frank wouldve been off tomorrow. he won't be playing everyday because of his injury and because crappy carl needs his guranteed outs, i mean ABs.

WhiteSoxFan84
05-30-2005, 07:42 PM
WHY in God's name would Ozzie leave Crede in, if he wanted him to bunt? Crede tried to bunt twice without success and luckily drew a walk. If Ozzie wanted the sac bunt, why didn't he put Ozuna in. Ozuna is an excellent bunter, he's much faster than Crede, and he might have had a chance to beat out a throw to first with a really good bunt. If Crede wasn't swinging, he shouldn't have been up to bat.

say the game goes into extra innings and someone gets injured, the bench would be wiped out. there's somethings managers HAVE to do whether they want to do them or not. not pinch hitting in that situation to keep some guys on the bench incase of emergency was one of them. also, a lot of us are forgetting how clutch crede can be.

mealfred13
05-30-2005, 07:47 PM
say the game goes into extra innings and someone gets injured, the bench would be wiped out. there's somethings managers HAVE to do whether they want to do them or not. not pinch hitting in that situation to keep some guys on the bench incase of emergency was one of them. also, a lot of us are forgetting how clutch crede can be.

I understand Crede could have taken a ball yard and won the game for us, and if he were given the green light to swing, I'd have no problem with the move. But Ozzie had him bunting from the get-go, and we all saw his piss-poor bunt attempt earlier in the game. An injury is the last thing on your mind at the point in a game, because they're going for the win in the bottom of the 9th, not just a tie. Ozuna was available, he can bunt, he can run, and if the game went into extra innings, he's a more than capable fill-in for Crede at 3rd.

And besides, if anyone got injured, we could have put Dye at 3rd.

DickAllen72
05-30-2005, 07:49 PM
WHY would Ozzie leave Crede in, if he wanted him to bunt? Crede tried to bunt twice without success and luckily drew a walk. If Ozzie wanted the sac bunt, why didn't he put Ozuna in. Ozuna is an excellent bunter, he's much faster than Crede, and he might have had a chance to beat out a throw to first with a really good bunt. If Crede wasn't swinging, he shouldn't have been up to bat.

I said the same thing when Crede came up. I thought Ozuna should have been pinch hitting there. Then when I saw they had Crede bunting, I was doubly sure it should have been Ozuna.

I'm glad it worked out, because we really needed this win. I just hope Timo didn't just save his roster spot unless he's going to be "clutch" all year. He still should be the one to go when Gload comes back.

WhiteSoxFan84
05-30-2005, 07:50 PM
I understand Crede could have taken a ball yard and won the game for us, and if he were given the green light to swing, I'd have no problem with the move. But Ozzie had him bunting from the get-go, and we all saw his piss-poor bunt attempt earlier in the game. An injury is the last thing on your mind at the point in a game, because they're going for the win in the bottom of the 9th, not just a tie. Ozuna was available, he can bunt, he can run, and if the game went into extra innings, he's a more than capable fill-in for Crede at 3rd.

And besides, if anyone got injured, we could have put Dye at 3rd.

i agree with you completely about crede bunting. it was dumb.

being at home, you can live with just the tie.

i cant disagree with the results, a white sox winner is a white sox winner. but some of the things done, were dumb.

chisox06
05-30-2005, 07:54 PM
This could have been so much easier if Everett didn't suck right now. What a horrible at bat.

I agree with the guy who said he hasn't been this angry after a Sox win in a long time.

Our hitting needs serious help and if Frank is DL'd again, we're in big trouble.

Everett shouldn't have been hitting in the first place. Top of the 9th, up by a run and you have a closer that hasnt given up a run all year. Ozzie leaves Buehrle in for TWO hits, then takes him out. One of the most poorly managed 9th innings I think Ive ever seen. Hermie is the closer, and i cant think of a better situation to bring your closer in, and Buehrle doesn't get the win. A win is a win, but their is no reason why it had to be that dramatic.

Lip Man 1
05-30-2005, 07:56 PM
A very, very shaky win.

That being said it's still a win, a badly needed one, I'll take it.

Lip

SOXPHILE
05-30-2005, 07:57 PM
I've officially filed this one under "U" for Ugly. Glad they got the win though.:cool:

Hendu
05-30-2005, 07:59 PM
That was an ugly game and we're lucky to come away with the W. I know that baseball tradition says that it's better to have a lefty batting against a right-hander, but Carl is so lost from the left side that Shingo could probably strike him out on 3 straight fastballs right down the middle.

Crede almost bunted into a triple play. As hilarious as that would have been, this guy doesn't belong in the major leagues. I can live with a .240 average, but as long as that .240 is consistent (not Crede's having a good month, then disappearing for a month). I don't know if the guy needs lasik or to try on some of Brian Roberts' lenses or if he really is this bad.

Poor Mark. He deserved to win that game and the Sox should have had 7 runs off of Washburn.

mealfred13
05-30-2005, 08:02 PM
I don't know if the guy needs lasik or to try on some of Brian Roberts' lenses or if he really is this bad.

No to hijack the thread or anything, but on a side note, I've heard that AJ is also using some kind of amber lenses or something. Anyone hear anything like this?

TaylorStSox
05-30-2005, 08:05 PM
Let's not forget we're facing a damn good team that's built to win "ugly" games as well. They're not a whole lot different than us really. Aside from them having the best RF'er in baseball.

DickAllen72
05-30-2005, 08:10 PM
Let's not forget we're facing a damn good team that's built to win "ugly" games as well. They're not a whole lot different than us really. Aside from them having the best RF'er in baseball.
We are most fortunate that he's not playing right now.

TimoPerez
05-30-2005, 08:11 PM
My Boy!

http://www.geocities.com/hartbenoitangle/TimoMr.Clutch.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/hartbenoitangle/timojedi.jpg

"The Jedi" hit that pitch like he knew it was coming.:cool:

elrod
05-30-2005, 08:12 PM
What the hell is wrong with you people? A win is a win. The only reason to be bothered is if Frank is really hurt. But it doesn't look that way. We were facing a 4 game losing streak and serious trouble. Then up came Jeff Abbott - I mean Timo Perez - and got us going again. This is the kind of win that propels big winning streaks. This win was great. We won IN SPITE of a booted ball in the 9th inning. Most teams would have quit after that point. The White Sox, on Memorial Day, in front of a sellout crowd, on Frank Thomas' return, kept fighting. This was a GREAT win!

MHOUSE
05-30-2005, 08:17 PM
I didn't fault Ozzie until he let Marte face Quinlan. I would have gone to Hermanson at that point for the R/R matchup. Marte made McPherson look stupid in that at-bat and got a ground ball for at least one out that Iguchi booted. You have to get him out of the game after that, I mean the next pitch was roped to right. Then putting in Crazy Carl for Iguchi made ZERO sense. Who woulda thought that Harris and Crede draw walks and Timo wins it.

mealfred13
05-30-2005, 08:19 PM

And this was no more apparent than during the Colon/Buehrle matchup. They had almost identical lines for the day and for the season, both our bullpens have been doing extremely well this season (although their's is notably stronger), and our hitters throughout the lineup are of very similar makeup.

JoseCanseco6969
05-30-2005, 08:23 PM
Nice job Harris, Crede, and Timo. I still am not convinced they are any good though...but nice today!

The Wimperoo
05-30-2005, 08:23 PM
GIDP Konerko was at his finest today. Ozzie was terrible today. Timo still blows, and shouldn't be on the team. The offense should have scored about 10 today.

Buerhle was good enough to get a win. It was great seeing Frank back in the lineup. I'm glad the Sox won, but the hitting has to improve.

Man Soo Lee
05-30-2005, 08:24 PM
I didn't fault Ozzie until he let Marte face Quinlan. I would have gone to Hermanson at that point for the R/R matchup.

If Hermanson entered, Erstad would have hit for Quinlan. The choice was Marte vs. the .167 hitting Quinlan or Hermanson vs. Erstad (.268). Ozzie made several baffling moves today, but I don't think this was one of them.

PAPChiSox729
05-30-2005, 08:25 PM
Timo still blows, and shouldn't be on the team.

I would hate to see what you would say if Timo didn't win this one for us.

wassagstdu
05-30-2005, 08:27 PM
I was just amazed when I saw Ozzie jump out of the dugout and tip Crede's bat to make him hit into a near-triple play. Then again in the ninth when he jumped in front of Iguchi and slapped the ball out of his hand! Ozzie almost blew this game, alright! Maybe you couldn't see that stuff, but I was watching ESPN.

But seriously, Iguchi has earned a blunder, but Crede obviously cannot play on this team.

owensmouth
05-30-2005, 08:40 PM
All five of the runners who scored for the Sox got on via a walk.

BRDSR
05-30-2005, 08:59 PM
All five of the runners who scored for the Sox got on via a walk.

Just another reason the Sox are extremely lucky to have won this game despite a manager who seemed intent on losing it. I'm really tired of hearing all the Beltin' Bill Melton candy asses out there who won't call a spade a spade. Ozzie Guillen made poor choice after poor choice in this game and I'm amazed he came out with a win.

Mark Buerhle should not have pitched the 9th. We have a man with a 100% success ratio in save opportunities and a 0.00 ERA. Screw matchups. Gagne and Rivera don't have to sit for certain matchups. Until Hermanson shows he can't handle some situation, any situation, he deserves to close that 1 run ballgame. He has handled every single situation flawlessly. You can blame Marte, but he didn't let those two runners who scored get on base.

If you want a bunter when Crede comes up, you have to go with Ozuna. Ozuna can handle the bat and he's got some speed, and he plays third. I can't believe Shields let that AB get away from him and walk Crede that way. Kudos to Crede to sticking with the AB, but he should have never been up there if bunting was what Ozzie wanted.

Pinch hitting Everett for Iguchi?! Iguchi is, by Ozzie's own admission, the best all-around hitter on this club and the stats prove it. He's the best situational hitter by far, in my opinion. On top of that, to not give him a chance to make up for his error is downright cruel. Low and behold, Everett strikes out.

I'm not saying I'm upset that Ozzie got the extension. I'm ecstatic. I love him and I think its more important that a manager be a clubhouse leader and set the right tone for a ballclub than make each and every game decision correctly. But lets not beat around the bush and make excuses. He butchered this game and thats all there is to it. If you had been sitting in section 103, row 2, you would have heard me questioning each of the three situations mentioned above before they happened. Poor managing today, but high fives all around for Timo's clutch performance.

gosox41
05-30-2005, 09:02 PM
That was amazing, well everything except the top of the 9th. But hey, a win is a win.

:bandance: :supernana: :bandance: :supernana: :bandance:

Not too sound to negative, but you can't ignore the glaring inefficiencies of the Sox offense. A win is a win. But how about a blow out win. When a team has the bases loaded and no one out 2 innings in a row, IMHO, they should score more then 3 runs. Especially with the middle of the line up batting.

The offense needs to be addressed and soon. A .313 team OBP is pathetic. Frank will help, but GDIPK has to wake up. Dye has to get it going. Crede needs to pick it up.

The season is almost 1/3 over. Anytime PK and Everett want to show up is fine with me.

Bob

TaylorStSox
05-30-2005, 09:08 PM
Just another reason the Sox are extremely lucky to have won this game despite a manager who seemed intent on losing it. I'm really tired of hearing all the Beltin' Bill Melton candy asses out there who won't call a spade a spade. Ozzie Guillen made poor choice after poor choice in this game and I'm amazed he came out with a win.

Mark Buerhle should not have pitched the 9th. We have a man with a 100% success ratio in save opportunities and a 0.00 ERA. Screw matchups. Gagne and Rivera don't have to sit for certain matchups. Until Hermanson shows he can't handle some situation, any situation, he deserves to close that 1 run ballgame. He has handled every single situation flawlessly. You can blame Marte, but he didn't let those two runners who scored get on base.

If you want a bunter when Crede comes up, you have to go with Ozuna. Ozuna can handle the bat and he's got some speed, and he plays third. I can't believe Shields let that AB get away from him and walk Crede that way. Kudos to Crede to sticking with the AB, but he should have never been up there if bunting was what Ozzie wanted.

Pinch hitting Everett for Iguchi?! Iguchi is, by Ozzie's own admission, the best all-around hitter on this club and the stats prove it. He's the best situational hitter by far, in my opinion. On top of that, to not give him a chance to make up for his error is downright cruel. Low and behold, Everett strikes out.

I'm not saying I'm upset that Ozzie got the extension. I'm ecstatic. I love him and I think its more important that a manager be a clubhouse leader and set the right tone for a ballclub than make each and every game decision correctly. But lets not beat around the bush and make excuses. He butchered this game and thats all there is to it. If you had been sitting in section 103, row 2, you would have heard me questioning each of the three situations mentioned above before they happened. Poor managing today, but high fives all around for Timo's clutch performance.

I disagree. I'd always let my starter get the CG every time he had a chance. Part of the problem in the game today is that managers go with their pen in the wrong situation. Then they don't have as many people second guessing him.

You can criticize Ozzie all you want, but at least he isn't passive. He might be wrong alot, but I'll take it.

seanpmurphy
05-30-2005, 09:11 PM
GIDP Konerko was at his finest today. Ozzie was terrible today. Timo still blows, and shouldn't be on the team. The offense should have scored about 10 today.

Buerhle was good enough to get a win. It was great seeing Frank back in the lineup. I'm glad the Sox won, but the hitting has to improve.

Thanks for saying basically everything I wanted to myself. 2 GIDP for Paulie, erratic moves by Ozzie, Crede despite his ONE good at bat, had several terrible ones. Pop out bunt, softly hit fly to the infield. Yuck, put some spank on that stuff. Also, 2 bases loaded situations, 0 outs, and only 3 runs score?

I file this win under LH, for Lucky as Hell

Also, I love how for a week I see nothing but Timo sucks, send him to the Minors, and now Timo is the greatest thing since sliced bread. A lot of these WSI-ers need to be checked to see if they are bipolar.

chisoxfanatic
05-30-2005, 09:12 PM
Funny thing, I was talking with someone right by me about how badly Timo sucked, and that Ozzie should've put Ozuna in instead, because of how Ozuna's come through in the clutch; but, I'm so glad Timo made me eat my words!!! I love it when the Sox prove me wrong!

That was an outstanding game to go to...Electric atmosphere, everyone on their feet for Frank as he came up to bat for the first time. Then the place errupts for Timo as he gets his game-winning hit, while the Sox all celebrate in victory...

This season is AWESOME!!!!

PaleHoseGeorge
05-30-2005, 09:21 PM
Also, I love how for a week I see nothing but Timo sucks, send him to the Minors, and now Timo is the greatest thing since sliced bread. A lot of these WSI-ers need to be checked to see if they are bipolar.

Very perceptive post, sean. I wouldn't worry too much about the bipolar posters. They're just overly excitable. It's the "unipolar" ones you have to worry about -- bitching even when we win. Visit the ****house for some sterling examples from earlier today.
:cool:

PicktoCLick72
05-30-2005, 09:28 PM
I was at the game today. Very tense but a nice way to end it. I will take a win any way we can get it. Ozzie ha a good point saying he put in Marte becasue he didn't want to face Erstad or Kennedy who both kill the Sox. Marte was the right move and he did what he needed to but Iguchi forgot how to field today. Pinch hitting wise, your just looking for magic so I really can't complain about that. AS for the offense, they didn't get all the runs in but at least they were getting onbase. THat has not happned for awhile. WAshburn made some nice pitches to minimize the damage and Finley made an awesome throw. IF the Sox keep putting guys on base like this, the runs will come. Frank looked good at the plate and it was awesome the ovation he got. Let's hope Freddy can keep it going tomorrow.

Brian26
05-30-2005, 09:28 PM
Just got back from the Cell...

Get this- I walk up at 2:15 and was able to snag Section 131, Row 17 (which is 4 rows behind the scout seats, directly behind home plate). I think I saw Danny Evans in the row next to me scouting the game.

An amazing day to be at the ballpark. The weather was phenomenal, and it was an unbelievable win. When you're high-fiving total strangers in your section, you know it's a big win.

CubsSuckSoBad
05-30-2005, 09:34 PM
He completely flows the Buerhle situation, but covers his behind for the ninth by inserting Timo for Frank earlier in the game.....

Amazing this game is....

LuvSox
05-30-2005, 09:37 PM
He's good

The Racehorse
05-30-2005, 09:38 PM
This one is for Chico & the fallen soldiers, may they rest in peace.

A White Sox winner.

:thumbsup:

Brian26
05-30-2005, 09:39 PM

I'll admit, this was my line of thinking too. Iguchi has been our most clutch hitter. I thought Everett should have been saved for Timo's spot.

Does anyone have official work why Hermy didn't come in? I was amazed Ozzie stuck with Marte so long.

Here's the pathetic part: Marte single handidly blew that game, but his line doesn't look that bad. All the runs got charged to Buehrle. Marte gets the blown save (which is lame- they dont even put that stat on the back of baseball cards), yet his ERA actually IMPROVES with this outing.

Chisox003
05-30-2005, 09:50 PM
Just got back from the Cell...

Get this- I walk up at 2:15 and was able to snag Section 131, Row 17 (which is 4 rows behind the scout seats, directly behind home plate). I think I saw Danny Evans in the row next to me scouting the game.

An amazing day to be at the ballpark. The weather was phenomenal, and it was an unbelievable win. When you're high-fiving total strangers in your section, you know it's a big win.

I was there too, and the atmosphere was great...

When Frank came up for the first time, I got chills with the ovation he recieved...Good work Sox fans!

Ozzie tried his hardest today to mess this one up, but this team just keeps finding ways to win....Timo, for crying outloud!...I realize he was clutch last year, but I cant remember the last time he got a hit this season!

Awesome win, and Buehrle...Just another day at the office :gulp:

PAPChiSox729
05-30-2005, 09:52 PM
Awesome win, and Buehrle...Just another day at the office :gulp:

Buehrle is awesome. He was on today. Too bad those runs were charged to him in the ninth because other than that, he threw a gem.

Foulke You
05-30-2005, 10:00 PM
Here's the pathetic part: Marte single handidly blew that game, but his line doesn't look that bad. All the runs got charged to Buehrle. Marte gets the blown save (which is lame- they dont even put that stat on the back of baseball cards), yet his ERA actually IMPROVES with this outing.
I wouldn't say Marte single handedly blew the save. Damaso made the pitch he needed to end the game with the inning ending double play ball and Iguchi had his first MAJOR brain cramp in a Sox uniform with the double play feed to nowhere. That feed wasn't even in the same zip code that Uribe was in.

That being said, Marte did indeed melt down after that play but Iguchi primed the fire with that error. Marte was also inexplicably left in there to face right handed batters when Hermanson and Polite were warm in the pen. Then in classic Marte style with the bases loaded, he threw a choke pitch to walk in the go ahead run. I was having 2004 flashbacks to the July 4th game against the Cubs.

Of course, I can't complain too loudly. We won the game. Winning Ugly worked in 1983, why not 2005?

balke
05-30-2005, 10:02 PM
I'll admit, this was my line of thinking too. Iguchi has been our most clutch hitter. I thought Everett should have been saved for Timo's spot.

Does anyone have official work why Hermy didn't come in? I was amazed Ozzie stuck with Marte so long.

That's what happens when your manager puts you in with two runners on, and one out, then you get the double play ball and the infield botches it. Marte should have the save, don't blame him for bullpen mismanagement.

How can Thomas be hurt? I saw him laughing and talking on the bench just before his turn to bat, when Timo pinch hit.

It was good we actually came from behind in a pinch like that, but that was a horrible disaster of a game. The same type of bullpen situation that cost jobs in Boston.

PAPChiSox729
05-30-2005, 10:02 PM
:tomatoaward

balke
05-30-2005, 10:11 PM

Timo still sucks worse than anyone on the team. He owed us this game, for when he blew our game playing CF. I fully support him being sent down at anytime for just about anyone.

Other than that, good game today Timo.

Bisco Stu
05-30-2005, 10:15 PM
http://images.sportsline.com/u/ap/photos/CXS103053019_viewer.jpg

Burly Mon!

CLR01
05-30-2005, 10:27 PM
2 GIDP for Paulie,

It probably would have been 3 if he didn't lead off the 8th. Nice to see him getting into mid-season form.

C-Dawg
05-30-2005, 10:35 PM
Ozzie was probably making up some bunk to cover his butt for mishandling the situation. If Hermy really did have a medical condition, then why was he warming up in the bullpen?

Exactly. I was in Section 153, with a bird's-eye view of the bullpen. We all assumed it would be Hermanson, not Marte, coming in for relief. Dustin was all warmed up and stood there watching as Marte threw more fuel on the Angel's fire.

seanpmurphy
05-30-2005, 10:38 PM
Very perceptive post, sean. I wouldn't worry too much about the bipolar posters. They're just overly excitable. It's the "unipolar" ones you have to worry about -- bitching even when we win. Visit the ****house for some sterling examples from earlier today.

I hope I'm not reading it the wrong way and you're implying I'm a unipolar one. I was just as happy as the next guy to see us get a win here, but for the Sox to just call it a day after this would be nuts. A lot of improvement needs to happen, and quickly.

I'll support the Sox through anything, but I'm not going to sit back and turn a blind eye to horrible play without mentioning my thoughts. :smile:

Brian26
05-30-2005, 10:42 PM
They showed part of the postgame press conference on the board at the Cell after the game. Ozzie was very cool in not blaming Iguchi for the two errors. He wouldn't cave in to the reporters either. He promised not to be derogatory because someone had an offday on defense.

MRKARNO
05-30-2005, 10:45 PM
Notice how the GIDPK Apaulogists are very quiet today. I did not get the opportunity to see the game, but his two GIDPKs were quite damaging to the offensive production today, even though the one of the bases loaded variety still netted us two runs. However, a team shouldnt even have to get a hit to score two in that situation. Ask yourself, would you pay 10-12 million for that?

cheeses_h_rice
05-30-2005, 11:03 PM
Notice how the GIDPK Apaulogists are very quiet today. I did not get the opportunity to see the game, but his two GIDPKs were quite damaging to the offensive production today, even though the one of the bases loaded variety still netted us two runs. However, a team shouldnt even have to get a hit to score two in that situation. Ask yourself, would you pay 10-12 million for that?

Konerko needs to step up while this team is struggling.

So far he hasn't done squat to earn his keep, IMO.

NSSoxFan
05-30-2005, 11:06 PM

I am an apaulogist and I was disgusted with the way Paul played tonight. I would not pay 10-12 million for that, and if Paul thinks he is worth that, he can take a hike.

Jjav829
05-30-2005, 11:10 PM
First off, AWESOME WIN, and I'm extremely pleased to see Timo back to his clutch ways (hopefully). And now, onto my criticisms. Feel free to flame me afterwards:

First off, I won't knock the Harris for Uribe pinch hit, because Willie is faster and much more likely to draw a walk and get on base, and he's a lefty, so the matchup was better. Here's where it gets sticky.

Then, I have absolutely no understanding why he'd put Carl in at this point after Crede walked. Other than the fact he's a lefty, there was no reason to put him in, especially over Iguchi. Iguchi is our best hitter, he can drive the ball yard, he is our best fundamental hitter (he can hit the other way to move runners, sac fly, etc.), and he should have been given a chance to redeem himself. Why put Carl in, particularly when he's struggling at the plate from the left side?

Finally, Timo was extremely clutch last year, but he hadn't done jack until today. Why not pull him in favor of any other lefty off the bench, like Pierzynski even? If he'd played it out right from the get-go, the game should have been tied with 1 out by the time Timo would have been up, and a sac fly would have won it.

In any event, I hate to play armchair manager, but I was in shock with the 9th inning hitting situation, knowing there were better options off the bench. I'm glad it turned out well for us, and if anything, it's doubly good for Timo, Crede, and Willie with their great at-bats, but does anyone else agree the inning should have been handled MUCH differently?

*puts on flame-retardant suit*

Very well said. I'd imagine most Sox fans were questioning these moves. I did agree with Willie pinch hitting. I didn't understand why Crede was bunting, especially after that pathetic, near-triple-play attempt earlier in the game. I thought Ozuna should have been in there. Then when Crede managed to walk, I thought Ozuna should have been pinch running for Crede. I didn't agree with the Everett move. I, like nearly everyone else, didn't like how Ozzie managed the top of the 9th. Basically, like most others have said, I thought Ozzie butchered the 9th. But Timo saved us. That was quite an emotional swing. I went from extremely pissed off to extremely excited in a span on minutes.

Despite the Ozzie blunders, that was a great win to pull out. Great crowd and great to see the Standing O for Frank. I thought that foul ball he ripped was a goner. 0-2 with a walk, but I thought he looked pretty damn good for his first time facing major league pitching in nearly 11 months.

Good win....:bandance: ....but we need some offense.

PicktoCLick72
05-30-2005, 11:17 PM
How does every thread come to blame Konerko? I am in no way happy about his 2 double plays but there are many people to point fingers at, namely Iguchi. If that was Willie Harris people would have guns looking for him. Do not give me the excuse he has come through the rest of the year. THat play should be made ten times out of ten. It was a horrible error. HOw is everyone on Marte's back but seems to froget about Iguchi. If your going to complain, mention everyone who is at fault, not just someone you want traded or benched.

P.S. I really like Iguchi but still feel he is getting off easy for today.

FarWestChicago
05-30-2005, 11:20 PM
How does every thread come to blame Konerko?Did you watch the game? Your boy was very bad. Nobody said other players were perfect, not even Iguchi. Your boy just has a much more complete body of "suckage" work.

PicktoCLick72
05-30-2005, 11:23 PM
I was at the game and I believe Paulie sucked it up big time and you could hear me saying that about 2 sections down. But Iguchi did too and i hardly see any one at all mentioning that.

Ol' No. 2
05-30-2005, 11:25 PM
Very well said. I'd imagine most Sox fans were questioning these moves. I did agree with Willie pinch hitting. I didn't understand why Crede was bunting, especially after that pathetic, near-triple-play attempt earlier in the game. I thought Ozuna should have been in there. Then when Crede managed to walk, I thought Ozuna should have been pinch running for Crede. I didn't agree with the Everett move. I, like nearly everyone else, didn't like how Ozzie managed the top of the 9th. Basically, like most others have said, I thought Ozzie butchered the 9th. But Timo saved us. That was quite an emotional swing. I went from extremely pissed off to extremely excited in a span on minutes.

Despite the Ozzie blunders, that was a great win to pull out. Great crowd and great to see the Standing O for Frank. I thought that foul ball he ripped was a goner. 0-2 with a walk, but I thought he looked pretty damn good for his first time facing major league pitching in nearly 11 months.

Good win....:bandance: ....but we need some offense.In the post-game, Ozzie said he left Marte in because he figured if he brought in Hermanson that Scioscia would counter with Erstad. But at least Hermanson would make him swing the bat. I'd rather take my chances with Erstad hitting than somebody else walking. After Marte threw ball 1 I said to my son "He's going to walk in a run". I've seen that movie too many times before.

They managed to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat once again, but the once-impressive bullpen has been showing signs of mortality lately, and I'm frankly more concerned about that than the weak hitting.

C-Dawg
05-30-2005, 11:25 PM
I didn't understand why Crede was bunting, especially after that pathetic, near-triple-play attempt earlier in the game.

As soon as he bunted that little popup back to the pitcher, I swear I heard Harry Carey, calling "triple play ball!!", from beyond the grave no doubt.

Dan H
05-30-2005, 11:26 PM
3 unlikely heroes today. Harris, Timo and Crede had great AB's in the 9th. It's only May, but this win was pretty big.

I agree with this on all counts. Getting a walk is sometimes as hard as getting a hit. Don't Podsenik and his great bunt. Let's just hope we don't have too many more blown saves. This one would have been a tough one to lose.

FarWestChicago
05-30-2005, 11:28 PM
I was at the game and I believe Paulie sucked it up big time and you could hear me saying that about 2 sections down. But Iguchi did too and i hardly see any one at all mentioning that.First of all, the constant ripping on players here, especially after victories, is way over the top. I can't believe you are encouraging more of that in general. Second of all, if any position player deserves a pass, it's Iguchi. But, as I said, is the incessant reaming even necessary?

PicktoCLick72
05-30-2005, 11:33 PM
I am not encouraging any "ramming" of players, but I do find it unfair how some players bigger mistakes are let slide. I have never been one to constantly rip on players but I hate reading all the Marte sucks posts. I do not see many people saying that Marte did what he was suppose to when he got the double play. I am not encouraging ripping on players, I am just saying it seems like some people are just looking for different reasons to tear down the same players and only those players every night.

Lip Man 1
05-30-2005, 11:34 PM
Just heard the 9th inning announcers audio from the ESPN gang on SportsCenter. If anyone thought the WSI posters are tough, my God you should have heard Jeff Brantley.

Someone on the Sox must have stole something from him because the intense dislike of the manager and organization came through loud and clear.

Just one of life's mysteries I guess.

They dodged a howitzer shell today but like I said earlier I'll take it...just hope they learn from the situation and don't make the same mistakes again.

Lip

Ol' No. 2
05-30-2005, 11:39 PM
First of all, the constant ripping on players here, especially after victories, is way over the top. I can't believe you are encouraging more of that in general. Second of all, if any position player deserves a pass, it's Iguchi. But, as I said, is the incessant reaming even necessary?No kidding. What is it? Do people think it makes them look knowledgable constantly ripping on whoever might have made an out or an error or exhibited some imperfection? I have a feeling the amount of ripping is inversely proportional to the amount of time actually played.

PicktoCLick72
05-30-2005, 11:46 PM
I see my posts are being misunderstood. I am not ripping nor want to rip anyone who makes a mistake. All I am saying is I hate people only screaming about the same players every night. My first post was intended to show how Iguchi's blunder today was being overlooked by so many people.

FarWestChicago
05-30-2005, 11:47 PM
No kidding. What is it? Do people think it makes them look knowledgable constantly ripping on whoever might have made an out or an error or exhibited some imperfection? I have a feeling the amount of ripping is inversely proportional to the amount of time actually played.And some people could use some help with anger management. :redneck

FarWestChicago
05-30-2005, 11:48 PM
I see my posts are being misunderstood.No, we're not talking about you. We're philosophizing about the consistent ragers. :D:

Ol' No. 2
05-30-2005, 11:52 PM
I see my posts are being misunderstood. I am not ripping nor want to rip anyone who makes a mistake. All I am saying is I hate people only screaming about the same players every night. My first post was intended to show how Iguchi's blunder today was being overlooked by so many people.Nobody's overlooked it. But he's been solid defensively all year long. Even the best make errors now an again.

But if you're suggesting it's stupid to try to pin it on any one player, you'll get no argument from me. Unfortunately, that's most of what you find in post-game threads - people trying to pin the loss or near-loss on their favorite whipping boy. It's really gotten to the point of absurdity lately.

PicktoCLick72
05-30-2005, 11:52 PM
Originally Posted by FarWestChicago
No, we're not talking about you. We're philosophizing about the consistent ragers. :D:

Oh i see. I can see whyat you are talking about with the ragers.

Ol' No. 2
05-30-2005, 11:54 PM
No, we're not talking about you. We're philosophizing about the consistent ragers. :D:Maybe we need both Prozac and non-Prozac post-game threads.:cool:

SpammySosa
05-30-2005, 11:56 PM
I see my posts are being misunderstood. I am not ripping nor want to rip anyone who makes a mistake. All I am saying is I hate people only screaming about the same players every night. My first post was intended to show how Iguchi's blunder today was being overlooked by so many people.

:ralomar:
"No need to worry my friend,help is on the way!"

DumpJerry
05-30-2005, 11:57 PM
Oh my...I was at the game.....they had me hooked up on oxygen, the paramedics had the paddles on my chest and TIMO SAVES MY LIFE! :D:

Thank you! Thank you!

SoxxoS
05-31-2005, 12:43 AM
Just heard the 9th inning announcers audio from the ESPN gang on SportsCenter. If anyone thought the WSI posters are tough, my God you should have heard Jeff Brantley.

Someone on the Sox must have stole something from him because the intense dislike of the manager and organization came through loud and clear.

Just one of life's mysteries I guess.

They dodged a howitzer shell today but like I said earlier I'll take it...just hope they learn from the situation and don't make the same mistakes again.

Lip

Jeff "Summer's Eve" Brantley is a known Cub-supporter and Sox hater. This is not news.

DaleJRFan
05-31-2005, 12:47 AM
as my father likes to say, Timo Primo!

ShoelessJoeS
05-31-2005, 12:49 AM
easily the best game ive been to in a long time.....thanks timo :D:

kittle42
05-31-2005, 01:02 AM

You are so right. Unless the argument is the Sox keep Timo around to only use him for the very rare situation like today (say, once every 20 games), he should not be on the team.

Funny people (accurately) compare him to Jeff Abbott. Jeff never really belonged here much, either.

fquaye149
05-31-2005, 01:02 AM
I am not encouraging any "ramming" of players, but I do find it unfair how some players bigger mistakes are let slide. I have never been one to constantly rip on players but I hate reading all the Marte sucks posts. I do not see many people saying that Marte did what he was suppose to when he got the double play. I am not encouraging ripping on players, I am just saying it seems like some people are just looking for different reasons to tear down the same players and only those players every night.

paulie is consistently bad, and when he performs well it is an exception (he does not help with the glove all that much and he only hits safely 23% of the time).

Iguchi is consistently good and his miscue today was the exception.

Unlike apaulogists, who act like the exceptions are the rule, most rational Sox fans don't assume that Iguchi's aberration is the rule, using reason and empiricism.

However, the bottom line is, playing the blame game isn't doing us any good, and we all need to step it up and play better as a team. Yeah the win was ugly but a win is a win. It doesn't MEAN anything. It's not going to PROPEL us to a win streak, although it might have helped us avoid a prolonged funk.

Altogether this is a rather frustrating thread to read. I am reminded of George Costanza when NBC was airing his pilot.

:Costanza
"God will not let me succeed!!!!"

mdep524
05-31-2005, 01:29 AM
paulie is consistently bad, and when he performs well it is an exception (he does not help with the glove all that much and he only hits safely 23% of the time).

Unlike apaulogists, who act like the exceptions are the rule, most rational Sox fans don't assume that Iguchi's aberration is the rule, using reason and empiricism. Well put. I agree.

There are some serious criticisms of this game that shouldn't be dismissed just because we won... but it's late and this thread has covered a bunch of 'em. I'll just say if this wasn't the worst-managed game of Ozzie's career, it is definitely up there. :smile: I am really anxious to see how the Sox come out and play tomorrow.

shoota
05-31-2005, 01:40 AM
I was really disappointed Buehrle didn't get the win today. I am really hoping he and Garland can get 20 wins this year. If a pitcher's going to win 20, he needs to win games like these.

Our offense should have scored more runs today. Pathetic.

Crede's bunt attempt that he popped up and allowed a double play was B R U T A L. If a man is hitting .229 like Crede is, he's got to be able to sacrifice bunt. If you're batting 9th in the lineup and hitting .229, you better not be surprised when given the bunt sign. If you have 4 home runs and 17 RBI 30% into the season, don't be offended to get the bunt sign because you think you're a power hitter.

Buehrle did his job again. Same old Buehrle. We're spoiled by his performances. This man is a rock.

Nice job Timo. Thanks for salvaging my Memorial Day. God Bless America. I thank all of you who have or currently are serving this country.

shoota
05-31-2005, 01:41 AM
Did anyone else see a homemade sign on the Jumbotron today that combined the movie The Wizard of Oz with Sox players? Sox players faces were on the bodies of the characters from the movie. Obviously, Ozzie was on there; I didn't see which Sox players were the Tin Man and the Lion, but I laughed my ass off when I saw Crede's face on Dorthy's body. LOL, that seems about right.

shoota
05-31-2005, 03:00 AM
Was anyone else disturbed hearing the Comiskey crowd boo Marte as he left the field? Not only is the booing inappropriate since he didn't fail in his job, (inducing a potential game-ending double play ball to Iguchi that he Alex Gonzalezed), but booing slight failures seems very Cubish and I don't want to see this become a trend.

I always love when the Cubs fans boo because it just showed how the wheels were falling off the jalopy. Let's not mimick that. Let's save our boos for horrible, stupid mistakes.

Oh, and speaking of not following stupid Cub habits, did anyone notice whoever caught the Finley home run ball in right DID NOT throw it back, despite heavy pressure from ignorent fans? Way to stay strong buddy.

kittle42
05-31-2005, 03:17 AM
Oh, and speaking of not following stupid Cub habits, did anyone notice whoever caught the Finley home run ball in right DID NOT throw it back, despite heavy pressure from ignorent fans? Way to stay strong buddy.

Speaking of this, I have been waiting to catch a home run ball at Wrigley for years just so I could 1) Not throw it back it is was from the opposition; or, preferably, (2) throw it back if a Cub hit it.

Nellie_Fox
05-31-2005, 03:21 AM
Wow. Wow. I just don't know what to say. Apparently I don't know anything about baseball. I came in here tonight expecting people to be excited about today's win.

Iguchi, who has been absolutely rock solid, screwed up. Marte walks in a run after a bad ball call on ball three. So, how does the team react? By coming back and winning the game. I ran upstairs and told my wife that this is the kind of win that can propel a team into a great season. I really believed that.

But I come here, and people are looking for scalps. People, no team makes every play, every day. Marte did what he was asked to do, and it didn't work. If you give the other team extra outs, bad things are likely to happen.

Iguchi made his first serious error of the year. Did you think he would never make one? So, what do you want to do about it? I suspect it will be a long time before he makes another one.

Look at the positive. They didn't lay down and die. They fought back and won the game. Stop looking for why they should have gotten beat. The Angels are a good ballclub, and the Sox came back and beat them in a game that they could have easily lost.

Jeez, I can't believe you people.

IowaSox1971
05-31-2005, 04:50 AM
We WON this game against a very good team that has an excellent bullpen. We WON despite a costly error in the ninth inning from a player who had been solid defensively all year. Instead of packing it in after losing the lead, we pushed across two runs in the bottom of the ninth to WIN the game. The winning hit came from a guy who has not played much all year and was in the game only because his superstar teammate was injured. This game was a real battle, and we pulled it out. I'm not disappointed at all.

SomebodyToldMe
05-31-2005, 05:10 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v283/deputy_of_reno/JediPerez.jpg After being down on Timo for a while, awesome time for him to come through.

I knew when I made that pic for a reason!

Come onnnnn, TIMO!

Baby Fisk
05-31-2005, 09:13 AM
Wow. Wow. I just don't know what to say. Apparently I don't know anything about baseball. I came in here tonight expecting people to be excited about today's win.

Iguchi, who has been absolutely rock solid, screwed up. Marte walks in a run after a bad ball call on ball three. So, how does the team react? By coming back and winning the game. I ran upstairs and told my wife that this is the kind of win that can propel a team into a great season. I really believed that.

But I come here, and people are looking for scalps. People, no team makes every play, every day. Marte did what he was asked to do, and it didn't work. If you give the other team extra outs, bad things are likely to happen.

Iguchi made his first serious error of the year. Did you think he would never make one? So, what do you want to do about it? I suspect it will be a long time before he makes another one.

Look at the positive. They didn't lay down and die. They fought back and won the game. Stop looking for why they should have gotten beat. The Angels are a good ballclub, and the Sox came back and beat them in a game that they could have easily lost.

Jeez, I can't believe you people.

I agree with the perfessor.

At first, I was actually "devastated" by this win and wondered if the Sox deserved it. It was truly WINNING UGLY. But hell yeah, this team deserved it, because they fought back and EARNED IT. The 2004 Sox would have given their fans the following in the 9th inning:

- first-swing pop-up
- lucky BB, everyone gets their hopes up
- GIDP, everyone goes home bitter

The 2005 Sox rallied, battled, and took the game back from the LA Molinas of Anaheim. THIS TEAM ROCKS. It's Angel fans who should rightfully be gnashing their teeth today, not us. :bandance:

PaleHoseGeorge
05-31-2005, 09:17 AM
i couldn't agree more. it's like people here find the **** in shinola.

Good teams find ways to win. The Sox won. Most of us understand this.

As for your concerns, it's just the same 2-3 dumbasses making the same ignorant posts over and over again. Even the GIDPaulogists have made an appearance. Having lost every pitched battle about the shear magnitude of their guy's suckage, they've taken to a guerrilla war hijacking the postgame thread to defend GIDPauleee. And they choose today to stand and fight again, a game where their guy GIDP's twice?
:kukoo:

The GIDPaulogists would never be confused with Che Guevara.
:roflmao:

We have these post-game threads for a reason. They tend to attract the emotionally unstable, alternately praising and bitching about whatever catches their fancy (mostly bitching, of course).

We keep all these spastic posts in one tidy pile for each WSIer to either read or avoid as they see fit.

You're welcome.

Frater Perdurabo
05-31-2005, 09:23 AM

Very perceptive points. Where are the aPaulogists today?

In any case, I'll close with a positive... Watching the game on WGN, I dang near gave both my cats heart attacks with my screaming at the TV in the top of the ninth and my jubilant explosion when Timo hit the game winner....

DaveIsHere
05-31-2005, 09:43 AM
Very perceptive points. Where are the aPaulogists today?

In any case, I'll close with a positive... Watching the game on WGN, I dang near gave both my cats heart attacks with my screaming at the TV in the top of the ninth and my jubilant explosion when Timo hit the game winner....

Funny, I was in the garage screaming when it happened, my wife was out front and she heard me scream, my neighbor next door and 2 others across the way simultaneously scream with excitement, it was like the whole neighborhood erupted.

Kuzman
05-31-2005, 10:20 AM
WSI Is everywhere! I ended up sitting next to ThatguyontheL and we were exchanging comments on the game here and there. When Carl came out for the pinch hit, I asked him what was Ozzie thinking. Not because Carl has been in a slump, but about the defensive allignment if this game were to be tied.

With Willie PH for Uribe and Carl PH for Tadahito, would that put Carl in at 2nd? We both agreed that Ozzie was putting him in to win it and that TIMO did, but what was Ozzie to do if it were to go to extras? Did he explain this in the postgame, if that question even came up?

Jerko
05-31-2005, 10:24 AM
How does every thread come to blame Konerko? I am in no way happy about his 2 double plays but there are many people to point fingers at, namely Iguchi. If that was Willie Harris people would have guns looking for him. Do not give me the excuse he has come through the rest of the year. THat play should be made ten times out of ten. It was a horrible error. HOw is everyone on Marte's back but seems to froget about Iguchi. If your going to complain, mention everyone who is at fault, not just someone you want traded or benched.

P.S. I really like Iguchi but still feel he is getting off easy for today.

Gooch also made a bad throw on a DP where Konerko had to tag the guy out running to first. I think that threw him off for the whole game. I just wonder why he didn't TAG THE RUNNER and then throw to first? Was he so "scared" out there that he wanted Uribe to make all the throws? He could have had TWO double plays had he just tagged the runner first, especially the one in the 9th; the guy was right in front of him. Oh well, as stated above, a win is a win and I'll take it.

Jjav829
05-31-2005, 12:29 PM
WSI Is everywhere! I ended up sitting next to ThatguyontheL and we were exchanging comments on the game here and there. When Carl came out for the pinch hit, I asked him what was Ozzie thinking. Not because Carl has been in a slump, but about the defensive allignment if this game were to be tied.

With Willie PH for Uribe and Carl PH for Tadahito, would that put Carl in at 2nd? We both agreed that Ozzie was putting him in to win it and that TIMO did, but what was Ozzie to do if it were to go to extras? Did he explain this in the postgame, if that question even came up?

Ozuna was still on the bench. He would have gone it to play short and Willie would have played second.

Chicago83
05-31-2005, 03:04 PM
All you can say about that game was Timo saved us. Not a good game for the sox but the happy ending can make you forget. Should of scored more runs, should of turned the double play and shouldn't have walked in the leading run. Paulie was absolutely brutal, we would have been better off if he just sat in the dugout and let the pitcher throw three strikes, two double plays and one with the bases loaded and nobody out. That's not something you want to see from your #4 hitter. It sounded like Frank was looking good though, but the fact that he's out for the next few games kind of scares me. Buerhle should be 9-1, him and Garcia are really starting to heat up. Garland may have cooled off a bit, but Freddy is really starting to throw well. I don't think Lackey will be as lucky tonight as we was last week.

Soxzilla
05-31-2005, 04:28 PM

Unlike apaulogists, who act like the exceptions are the rule, most rational Sox fans don't assume that Iguchi's aberration is the rule, using reason and empiricism.

However, the bottom line is, playing the blame game isn't doing us any good, and we all need to step it up and play better as a team. Yeah the win was ugly but a win is a win. It doesn't MEAN anything. It's not going to PROPEL us to a win streak, although it might have helped us avoid a prolonged funk.

Altogether this is a rather frustrating thread to read. I am reminded of George Costanza when NBC was airing his pilot.

:Costanza
"God will not let me succeed!!!!"

Oh come on. Konerko is a career .276 hitter, he is far from consistently bad. He had his struggles in 2003, and he's having his struggles in 2005. Regardless, is a dangerous hitter like Konerko going to see that MANY good pitches when he has the likes of Carl Everett and Jermaine Dye hitting in front of, and behind him. Probably not.

Nevertheless he sucked extra bad yesterday afternoon, but he did bring in a run (No excuse for costing AT LEAST one with his 2 GIDP's). But I still wouldn't label walnuts as a consistently bad player.

I'm more worried about Crede, who looked like Clueless Joe in just about every bat. But I can hope he pulls his act together, I'd hate to see KW jump the gun and bring in some BIG 3b that is on the block like Beltre or Chavez, only for them to suck just as much as they have, and then us get binded with a disgusting contract.

Jerko, I believe the reason Tad didn't try to tag the runner was, in case the runner backed off the tag, and ran towards first just trying to waste time for the other runner to get first. That would make Tad look horribly bad. He definitely should go to uribe in that play, who will also get more muscle into the ball since he's using his momentum to go towards first. No big deal, he makes that play 99 times out of a 100.:redneck

surfdudes
05-31-2005, 04:32 PM
usually, i have a distinct strategy when watching the game, switching seats, wearing different caps forwards backwards sideways...for mostly superstitious reasons....I'm glad my stomping around the apartment swaring at the TV brought good luck this time

I think the Seismic effect from all the cuss words being uttered gave his bat that extra whatever it was to keep it fair.............
Can you be angry and happy at the same time?

Go Sox!

fquaye149
05-31-2005, 04:40 PM
Oh come on. Konerko is a career .276 hitter, he is far from consistently bad. He had his struggles in 2003, and he's having his struggles in 2005. Regardless, is a dangerous hitter like Konerko going to see that MANY good pitches when he has the likes of Carl Everett and Jermaine Dye hitting in front of, and behind him. Probably not.

Nevertheless he sucked extra bad yesterday afternoon, but he did bring in a run (No excuse for costing AT LEAST one with his 2 GIDP's). But I still wouldn't label walnuts as a consistently bad player.

I'm more worried about Crede, who looked like Clueless Joe in just about every bat. But I can hope he pulls his act together, I'd hate to see KW jump the gun and bring in some BIG 3b that is on the block like Beltre or Chavez, only for them to suck just as much as they have, and then us get binded with a disgusting contract.

Jerko, I believe the reason Tad didn't try to tag the runner was, in case the runner backed off the tag, and ran towards first just trying to waste time for the other runner to get first. That would make Tad look horribly bad. He definitely should go to uribe in that play, who will also get more muscle into the ball since he's using his momentum to go towards first. No big deal, he makes that play 99 times out of a 100.:redneck

i meant this season. and his career performance is not enough to reassure me that good times are necessarily up ahead. this isn't, say, buehrle's bad start to 2003. It's just yet another entry in Paulie's mercurial career.

surfdudes
05-31-2005, 04:40 PM
Was anyone else disturbed hearing the Comiskey crowd boo Marte as he left the field? Not only is the booing inappropriate since he didn't fail in his job, (inducing a potential game-ending double play ball to Iguchi that he Alex Gonzalezed), but booing slight failures seems very Cubish and I don't want to see this become a trend.

I always love when the Cubs fans boo because it just showed how the wheels were falling off the jalopy. Let's not mimick that. Let's save our boos for horrible, stupid mistakes.

Marte didn't deserve to be booed, Guche, Konerko, and Ozzie would have been much better targets.....
If Hermanson hasn't given up a run this year, and you are up 3-2 in the (th inning, and you already have one out, and he's warming up already in the bullpen, why the "nkjsj&*^$$" don't you use him Ozzie?
"Playing a Hunch" is only a "hunch" when they are few and far between..... doing it every other game is foolhardy. The Sox won in spite of Ozzie poorly managing the last inning of this game.

maurice
05-31-2005, 04:47 PM
Hey, a win is a win. Plus, it was great to give Frank those well-deserved ovations. For these reasons, we had a nice time at the game, despite brutal performances by Ozzie, Crede, and Konerko. (Note to Paulie: it's always bad to have more outs than ABs.) Thank you Timo. Now go far, far away when Gload re-joins the team.

shoota
05-31-2005, 10:20 PM
Gooch also made a bad throw on a DP where Konerko had to tag the guy out running to first. I think that threw him off for the whole game.

Hito also had that error recently when he dropped an easy popup that hit his glove. I can't remember the situation or even the team we were playing, but I'm thinking it was in an important situation.

That said, I'm still nowhere near being disappointed with Iguchi.