PDA

View Full Version : Think Greg Walker is sleeping well theses days?

white sox bill
05-29-2005, 05:11 PM
Is he on the hot seat due to the dismal hitting? We can all remember the Von Josha thing--he gone! Not that I'm pointing fingers but someone's gotta take the fall on this one. Maybe having Hurt back will spice things up a bit.

Jurr
05-29-2005, 05:12 PM
Is he on the hot seat due to the dismal hitting? We can all remember the Von Josha thing--he gone! Not that I'm pointing fingers but someone's gotta take the fall on this one. Maybe having Hurt back will spice things up a bit.
I don't think he's in any danger. If the Sox go on a long slide, then we may see something.

SoxxoS
05-29-2005, 05:41 PM
He should go...he hasn't really done anything to warrant keeping his job. Cooper is the only legit coach we have.

JRIG
05-29-2005, 05:45 PM
You can't make chicken salad out of chicken ****.

Uribe and Crede stink at the plate.

Dye's a slow starter. Konerko is in one of his death spirals. Everett was bad last year too.

Perez has been awful, but he'd need a deal with the devil to improve.

Jurr
05-29-2005, 05:47 PM

Dye's a slow starter. Konerko is in one of his death spirals. Everett was bad last year too.

Ahhhhhhhhthankya.

ShoelessJoeS
05-29-2005, 05:49 PM

so are you saying walker has nothing to do with this?

BeviBall!
05-29-2005, 05:49 PM
A consistant lineup would do wonders as well. Just try it for 5 games...

SoxxoS
05-29-2005, 05:50 PM

They are all hitting below their career averages...which to me indicates something is not right with the coaching.

Granted there is no Hank Aaron there...but the hitting coach isn't paid to tell Frank Thomas how to hit...he should earn his keep helping the Juan Uribes, Joe Credes and Everetts of the world.

JRIG
05-29-2005, 05:53 PM
so are you saying walker has nothing to do with this?

Before the season, the buzz was that Walker was working with Crede on a new stroke, and surely this would be the change that Crede needs!

Now, Crede still can't hit worth a damn.

Is it because Walker is a bad coach, or because Crede is a marginal major league player?

Walk got a lot of credit last year for Rowand's improvement. Hitting and pitching coaches get too much blame most of the time. Find a guy players are comfortable working with and stick with him for a while.

Walker was great last year. I'll predict he'll be good again once Frank arrives Monday.

ShoelessJoeS
05-29-2005, 05:57 PM
Before the season, the buzz was that Walker was working with Crede on a new stroke, and surely this would be the change that Crede needs!

Is it because Walker is a bad coach, or because Crede is a marginal major league player?

Walk got a lot of credit last year for Rowand's improvement. Hitting and pitching coaches get too much blame most of the time. Find a guy players are comfortable working with and stick with him for a while.

Walker was great last year. I'll predict he'll be good again once Frank arrives Monday.

i agree that frank being there will help the others, but theres alot more slumping hitters than crede in this lineup and certainly seems like alot more than in previous years

Daver
05-29-2005, 05:57 PM

Walker has never impressed me, and I have zero confidence in his ability to help anyone at any time. Von Joshua was the last Sox hitting coach that was able to get the best out of his hitters, because he worked on improving what they were doing right as opposed to changing what he felt they were doing wrong.

Jurr
05-29-2005, 05:58 PM

Yeah..for instance, the Yankees weren't hitting for a spell earlier this year. Everybody was looking pretty mediocre. Do you fire Don Mattingly? I sure as hell hope not. Eventually, something clicked up and down the lineup, and they took off. Hitting coaches can't make the players hit all the time.

RKMeibalane
05-29-2005, 06:06 PM
Yeah..for instance, the Yankees weren't hitting for a spell earlier this year. Everybody was looking pretty mediocre. Do you fire Don Mattingly? I sure as hell hope not. Eventually, something clicked up and down the lineup, and they took off. Hitting coaches can't make the players hit all the time.

The difference is that the Yankees have a track-record of hitting. A-Rod, Sheffield, Jeter, Williams, Posada, etc. are all good offensive players. The question mark for New York is Jason Giambi, and we all know why. Mattingly's job was never in any danger because people knew what the problem was with the Yankees offense- the players weren't swinging the bats well.

With the Sox offense, nobody knows where the Sox problems lie. Is it because Walker can't coach, or because the players suck? Everett, Dye, and Konerko have been good hitters for most of their respective careers, and so it's dissapointing to see them not producing, but I think we can safely say that they, not Walker, are the cause of their problems. Konerko has these slumps every year, and Everett has sucked since 2004.

Crede's situation is harder to diagnose. It may be that Walker isn't teaching him the right philosophy, but then again, Walker was Crede's hitting instructor at Charlotte, and Joe was fine down there. This suggests that Crede just can't cut it at the big league level, and if he can't, then he needs to be replaced.

ShoelessJoeS
05-29-2005, 06:08 PM
Crede's situation is harder to diagnose. It may be that Walker isn't teaching him the right philosophy, but then again, Walker was Crede's hitting instructor at Charlotte, and Joe was fine down there. This suggests that Crede just can't cut it at the big league level, and if he can't, then he needs to be replaced.

so how long til josh fields is ready?

Daver
05-29-2005, 06:10 PM
so how long til josh fields is ready?

Realistically?

RKMeibalane
05-29-2005, 06:13 PM
Realistically?

I don't think I can take two more seasons of Crede swinging and missing at off-speed pitches low and away.

ShoelessJoeS
05-29-2005, 06:14 PM
Realistically?

my bad, shouldve used teal

Daver
05-29-2005, 06:15 PM
I don't think I can take two more seasons of Crede swinging and missing at off-speed pitches low and away.

Micah Schnurstein could probably be called up sooner than that, but he will not give you the power numbers Crede will.

ShoelessJoeS
05-29-2005, 06:17 PM
Micah Schnurstein could probably be called up sooner than that, but he will not give you the power numbers Crede will.

screw the power, right now we need somebody who can get on base more than once a series

RKMeibalane
05-29-2005, 06:20 PM

Williams may need to look into making a trade at some point if this keeps up. The guy I'd really like the Sox to get is virtually untouchable, so there's no chance of him being accquired, but Joe Randa is a possibility. He always seems to hit well at US Cellular Field.

Huisj
05-29-2005, 07:12 PM

The really disappointing thing with Crede is that for the first month of the season, it seemed like he really did have this new shorter swing going on, and it was working. Wasn't he hitting about .310 for a while? And now for the last 3 weeks or so he's seemed to have a big long swing that he used to have, and he's swinging at some terrible pitches.

It seems like there are lots of guys whos swings are really long and hard right now, and they are all hitting like crap. The hits the sox are getting are when guys are shortening up, like at the end of the game Friday night when guys started popping singles around the field, or like Uribe's base hit today, Rowand's double, and AJ's homerun. quick short swings, not trying to do too much, not lunging or trying hard to hit it hard.

obviously, i'm no great hitter, but that's what I had to do in high school to get by, and it's more obvious than ever sometimes when I'm out on the golf course. oh well

JohnBasedowYoda
05-29-2005, 07:31 PM
screw the power, right now we need somebody who can get on base more than once a series

good stuff right there

Ol' No. 2
05-29-2005, 08:40 PM
The really disappointing thing with Crede is that for the first month of the season, it seemed like he really did have this new shorter swing going on, and it was working. Wasn't he hitting about .310 for a while? And now for the last 3 weeks or so he's seemed to have a big long swing that he used to have, and he's swinging at some terrible pitches.

It seems like there are lots of guys whos swings are really long and hard right now, and they are all hitting like crap. The hits the sox are getting are when guys are shortening up, like at the end of the game Friday night when guys started popping singles around the field, or like Uribe's base hit today, Rowand's double, and AJ's homerun. quick short swings, not trying to do too much, not lunging or trying hard to hit it hard.

obviously, i'm no great hitter, but that's what I had to do in high school to get by, and it's more obvious than ever sometimes when I'm out on the golf course. oh wellCrede's swing never did get shorter. What he did do was level out the swing plane, keeping his bat in the zone longer. But his swing is still long, and he's just facing tougher pitching than he did the first two weeks.

Lip Man 1
05-29-2005, 10:21 PM
Well for the past ten years or so the Sox have been known to ax the hitting coach starting with Bill Buckner I think around 95. Seems that the hitting coach makes a good fall guy.

Lip

RKMeibalane
05-29-2005, 11:34 PM
Well for the past ten years or so the Sox have been known to ax the hitting coach starting with Bill Buckner I think around 95. Seems that the hitting coach makes a good fall guy.

Lip

IIRC, the Sox hitting instructor timeline looks like this:

1. Walt Hriniak
2. Bill Buckner
3. Ron Jackson
4. Von Joshua
5. Gary Ward
6. Greg Walker

As Lip said, all of these men have served as hitting coach over the past ten seasons. It's sad. Just once, I'd like to see this organization find a hitting instructor who manages to stick around for more than a few years.

IowaSox1971
05-30-2005, 05:15 AM
I think we've played fewer home games than anyone in the AL except for Boston. We've played only 21 games at home and 29 on the road. Plus, we've been without our best hitter. Let's wait another month or two before we start pointing fingers at the hitting coach.

Foulke You
05-30-2005, 03:31 PM
I think we've played fewer home games than anyone in the AL except for Boston. We've played only 21 games at home and 29 on the road. Plus, we've been without our best hitter. Let's wait another month or two before we start pointing fingers at the hitting coach.
Agreed. This lineup looks a whole lot different (better) with Frank Thomas's name penciled in there. It changes the way they pitch to the other guys in the lineup around him. I think you'll see the offense improve quite a bit with the big man in the middle of that lineup.

SpartanSoxFan
05-30-2005, 08:34 PM
Bottom line, if we are 17-34 right now, Greg Walker is probably gone already. Winning works wonders to cover up for your glaring weaknesses.

RKMeibalane
05-30-2005, 08:37 PM
Bottom line, if we are 17-34 right now, Greg Walker is probably gone already. Winning works wonders to cover up for your glaring weaknesses.

If the Sox fall out of first and miss the playoffs, Walker's probably gone. He's been here since 2003, and since that time, this team hasn't shown any improvement offensively. The reason they are winning is because of the pitching staff. If they still had the starting rotation from 2002 or 2003, they'd be under .500 right now.

Things will improve somewhat with Frank back, but Walker must be held accountable if the offense doesn't improve by October.