PDA

View Full Version : The new WSI banner

MarqSox
11-11-2001, 10:34 PM
Maybe I just don't get it because I'm a child of the 80s, but what's the deal with the red pinstripe banner PHG? I mean, I know the Sox uniforms used to look like that ... but man, that's some ugly stuff, IMO.

doublem23
11-11-2001, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
Maybe I just don't get it because I'm a child of the 80s, but what's the deal with the red pinstripe banner PHG? I mean, I know the Sox uniforms used to look like that ... but man, that's some ugly stuff, IMO.

I dunno... The retro stuff can be kind of cool... Is it a permanent banner? I sure hope not, but it's kind of cool to relive Sox history every week or so....

But, then again what would I know, being the child of the 90s that I am?

FarWestChicago
11-11-2001, 10:39 PM
PHG has several banners now. He rotates them.

duke of dorwood
11-11-2001, 10:59 PM
Looks real nice.

KempersRS
11-11-2001, 11:03 PM
I like most of the banners that are up there, but I'll be honest and say I find that one pretty ugly.

Jerry_Manuel
11-11-2001, 11:08 PM
They go by decades last week was 60's this week is 70's next week should be 80's. Pretty simple if you think about it.

doublem23
11-11-2001, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by KempersRS
I like most of the banners that are up there, but I'll be honest and say I find that one pretty ugly.

To be fair, I wonder how many things wouldn't look ugly in red pinstripes... Those where some ugly-ass uniforms.

MarqSox
11-11-2001, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by doublem23

To be fair, I wonder how many things wouldn't look ugly in red pinstripes... Those where some ugly-ass uniforms.

Hence my point. I got no problem with retro stuff, I'm down. I was just observing that this particular banner sports some putrid uniforms and that I hope the banner has a short lifespan.

ihatethecubs
11-12-2001, 12:11 AM
why ya'll hatin on the banner? that took me a long time damnit! its historically accurate with the same logos and everything so if you dont like it its not my fault its whoever designed the uniform. personally i think those uniforms rule. next weeks banner will be even uglier. it features the 70's collar disco uniforms! and after that its time for 80's pullovers! i just started doing these things for something to look at during the offseason. in about 3-4 weeks there will be a regular banner up again. just havin some fun.

PaleHoseGeorge
11-12-2001, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by MarqSox
Hence my point. I got no problem with retro stuff, I'm down. I was just observing that this particular banner sports some putrid uniforms and that I hope the banner has a short lifespan.

Speaking strictly about the uniforms, the red road uniforms of that era were some of my favorites in Sox history. That era also marks some cutting edge footware worn by the Sox, one of MLB's first teams to wear Adidas. While everyone else was still wearing plain black shoes (except the "Swingin' A's," of course) the Sox wore red shoes with white stripes. Pretty hip!

IMO, the ugliest uniforms were Veeck's pajamas from the late-70's, but the worst ones were the Astros-wannabes from the early-80's. Some idiot won a fan contest to design the uniform back in '81. The other designs were even worse. They looked dated the first day the Sox wore them. (Houston had been wearing similar uniforms for over a decade).

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder?

FarWestChicago
11-12-2001, 12:14 AM
Hey, it's got the man, Dick Allen. You can't beat that.

ihatethecubs
11-12-2001, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
Hey, it's got the man, Dick Allen. You can't beat that.

and hes having a smoke in the dugout! how cool is that?

Jerry_Manuel
11-12-2001, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by ihatethecubs
why ya'll hatin on the banner? that took me a long time damnit!

It's a tough world Scott. When they look good nobody says anything but when they are bad all the critics come out of the wood work. I like all the work you do, sure I'm bias but that's never stopped me before. Also I'll update your Woo Woo sig on Monday.

FarWestChicago
11-12-2001, 12:19 AM

and hes having a smoke in the dugout! how cool is that? Nobody was as cool as Dick Allen. He'd have the smoke and then go hit a ball off the center field fence that never got more than 6 feet off the ground, LOL!

MarqSox
11-12-2001, 12:20 AM
why ya'll hatin on the banner? that took me a long time damnit! its historically accurate with the same logos and everything so if you dont like it its not my fault its whoever designed the uniform. personally i think those uniforms rule. next weeks banner will be even uglier. it features the 70's collar disco uniforms! and after that its time for 80's pullovers! i just started doing these things for something to look at during the offseason. in about 3-4 weeks there will be a regular banner up again. just havin some fun.

Didn't mean to playa hate, ihatethecubs! Just not down with red pinstripes is all. Though I hate the banner, it is well done.

Nellie_Fox
11-12-2001, 01:27 AM
Nobody was as cool as Dick Allen. He'd have the smoke and then go hit a ball off the center field fence that never got more than 6 feet off the ground, LOL!

He swung a 43 ounce bat and screamed from the effort of brining it around. I saw him hit one into the center field bleachers at old Comiskey. It was hit so hard he took all the spin off the ball, and it jumped three times on the way out, just like a rocket-propelled knuckle ball.

FarWestChicago
11-12-2001, 02:44 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox

He swung a 43 ounce bat and screamed from the effort of brining it around. I saw him hit one into the center field bleachers at old Comiskey. It was hit so hard he took all the spin off the ball, and it jumped three times on the way out, just like a rocket-propelled knuckle ball. He was a monster. He broke a seat in the bleachers with a line drive home run. I would love to see him in his prime hitting today's baseballs.

LongDistanceFan
11-12-2001, 07:25 AM
He was a monster. He broke a seat in the bleachers with a line drive home run. I would love to see him in his prime hitting today's baseballs. i remember someone, an newpaper writer who wrote of the bat that the babe swung. but if anyone knows for sure, let me know. but it was said that a bat from the hall of fame is 55 oz. if true, can you imagine it, when you look at the old movies of him swinging....... wow.

Railsplitter
11-12-2001, 09:55 AM
Are you guys batty? Those red stripes were great! Any banner with Dick allen and beltin' Bill Melton can't be all bad. John Allyn, the Sox owner from 69-75 came up with the idea, was a good and decent man who lost his fortune to keep the Sox in Chicago.

DuckSnort
11-12-2001, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

It's a tough world Scott. When they look good nobody says anything but when they are bad all the critics come out of the wood work. I like all the work you do, sure I'm bias but that's never stopped me before.

Welcome to the world of Graphic Design :) most of the time you should take the criticism and work it in towards your project, make it more what the "people" want... because that's who's viewing it... although it tends to be a little more tough to do when the criticizers are only being negative, if you don't like something... suggest something you might think looks better... it helps ! ok, enough rambling for now. :)

moochpuppy
11-12-2001, 01:06 PM
personally i think those uniforms rule.

I think they look great as well ihate. I think you should leave this one up through Christmas, they look like a couple of frickin' candy canes. LMAO!

FarWestChicago
11-12-2001, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Railsplitter
Any banner with Dick allen and beltin' Bill Melton can't be all bad.You got that right. And it's Dick with the classic cigarette hanging from the mouth!