PDA

View Full Version : Frank Playing First Base?

RKMeibalane
05-29-2005, 02:12 PM
Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2071365)

I'm not sure that this is a good idea. *** is Ozzie thinking?

FarWestChicago
05-29-2005, 02:15 PM
Look at it this way. Big Frank has one bad wheel. Paulie plays first every day with 2 bad wheels. :redneck

RKMeibalane
05-29-2005, 02:17 PM
Look at it this way. Big Frank has one bad wheel. Paulie plays first every day with 2 bad wheels. :redneck

Yes, but Frank missed most of last season because of his bad wheel. I don't want him to get hurt again.

MRKARNO
05-29-2005, 02:20 PM
I'd defer to Frank. If he says that he thinks he can play a few games at first during interleague play, then he should do just that.

RKMeibalane
05-29-2005, 02:23 PM
I'd defer to Frank. If he says that he thinks he can play a few games at first during interleague play, then he should do just that.

I'd normally agree with you (PUT FRANK AT FIRST!), but given that he is just coming back, it might not be the best thing for him. OTOH, Frank knows his body better than I do, so maybe he can do it without risking injury.

batmanZoSo
05-29-2005, 02:50 PM
I think they know what they're doing. He hits like a monster when he plays in the field throughout his career. What the hell, running backs tear up their knees and then they're back a year later juking 300 pound linemen. Frank can play a little first.

(5000th post :bandance:)

RKMeibalane
05-29-2005, 02:53 PM
I think they know what they're doing. He hits like a monster when he plays in the field throughout his career. What the hell, running backs tear up their knees and then they're back a year later juking 300 pound linemen. Frank can play a little first.

(5000th post :bandance:)

We'll see what happens. If he gets hot, he can carry this team by himself.

Nard
05-29-2005, 03:06 PM
This is only okay if he hits like an absolute beast like he usually does.

Even disregarding the injury, his defense is garbage. (Anyone remember that 9th inning in the Twinkie Dome sometime last season?)

White Sox Josh
05-29-2005, 03:08 PM

Even disregarding the injury, his defense is garbage. (Anyone remember that 9th inning in the Twinkie Dome sometime last season?)No it's not. He's OK on defense. Not great and probably not good but I could live with his defense.

jabrch
05-29-2005, 03:10 PM
Here's the time when someone should post the (IMHO non-causal) relationship between Frank playing 1B and being a better hitter.

batmanZoSo
05-29-2005, 03:11 PM
We'll see what happens. If he gets hot, he can carry this team by himself.

Someone needs to carry this team. Konerko's a complete joke, hits a weak grounder on the first pitch from Chan Ho who throws as many balls as strikes and is seemingly always behind our hitters. Yet we only score 3 off him. I think it might have something to do with that.

RKMeibalane
05-29-2005, 03:15 PM

Even disregarding the injury, his defense is garbage. (Anyone remember that 9th inning in the Twinkie Dome sometime last season?)

It wasn't the Twinkie Dome. It was Olympic Stadium. If you're going to criticize, at least get the facts right.

TaylorStSox
05-29-2005, 04:24 PM
No it's not. He's OK on defense. Not great and probably not good but I could live with his defense.

Frank's never been "ok" defensively. Well, maybe if "ok" means horrible. Obviously, his bat makes up for it.

Fake Chet Lemon
05-29-2005, 04:27 PM
No way can we risk a injury to Frank out there. It's not like he is a gold glover and we need him there! Don't even think about it Oz.

Jurr
05-29-2005, 04:29 PM
Frank's never been "ok" defensively. Well, maybe if "ok" means horrible. Obviously, his bat makes up for it.
If you really think about it, first base is a position that requires a player to make maybe 1 or 2 real "plays" a game. Frank can scoop up a throw, he can catch a pop fly in foul territory, and he's been doing it long enough to be able to catch a pickoff throw.

If he starts off hitting well, you HAVE to consider putting him in during some of the NL away games.

As far as his injury goes, the problem with that navicular bone fx was his pressure applied during the swing. I don't think he'll really be in danger of aggravating the thing at first.

TaylorStSox
05-29-2005, 04:33 PM
If you really think about it, first base is a position that requires a player to make maybe 1 or 2 real "plays" a game. Frank can scoop up a throw, he can catch a pop fly in foul territory, and he's been doing it long enough to be able to catch a pickoff throw.

If he starts off hitting well, you HAVE to consider putting him in during some of the NL away games.

As far as his injury goes, the problem with that navicular bone fx was his pressure applied during the swing. I don't think he'll really be in danger of aggravating the thing at first.

He does have soft hands and makes some tough picks. I'll definitely give you that.

Deadguy
05-29-2005, 04:38 PM
Here's the time when someone should post the (IMHO non-causal) relationship between Frank playing 1B and being a better hitter.

Ok, I'll do it. Frank hits better when he plays 1B.

With that out of the way, I do agree, I'd rather not see him at 1B, and risk injury, but the cold hard truth is that Frank is far more likely to get injured running the bases than playing 1B. Think about the toll his ankle takes when he tries to score from second to home on a single. Then compare it to Thomas simply standing still, slowly jogging to 1B to shag a a throw from another infielder, or field a ball, and jog to 1st for an unassisted 3.

Fake Chet Lemon
05-29-2005, 04:43 PM
Have many of you forgotten that Frank cannot make the throw to second base to start a double play? Think about how critical DPs have been for this pitching staff this year. We aren't scoring enough to give up ANY extra runs, especially with the pen looking a little shaky. Ozzie, take Frank's glove and lose it.

RKMeibalane
05-29-2005, 05:08 PM
Have many of you forgotten that Frank cannot make the throw to second base to start a double play? Think about how critical DPs have been for this pitching staff this year. We aren't scoring enough to give up ANY extra runs, especially with the pen looking a little shaky. Ozzie, take Frank's glove and lose it.

Don't start that again. How many 3-6-3 double-plays does a first baseman have to turn each season? I don't want Frank in the field because he just came back from his injury, not because I'm afraid he'll throw the ball into LF.

Frankly Missing
05-29-2005, 05:28 PM
Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2071365)

I'm not sure that this is a good idea. *** is Ozzie thinking?

Keep in mind I am a totally biased Frank fan, but I wonder at times if Ozzie is trying to sabotage Frank. A little jealousy can go along way.

Frank stole the thunder when they played together, and the fans remain faithful to him despite Ozzie taking pot shots at him in the media from day 1.

I have to give Frank a heap of credit, he hasnt let his feathers get ruffled at all. Just lets it roll off, who among us could stay as cool time after time when he opens a paper or turns on the TV.

My thought on Frank playing first......it might be a risk Frank shouldnt be taking so soon. Let him strengthen that bone and the muscle that powers it in the DH position for a while.

If Ozzie really wants to play "smart ball", he would be talking to the doctors about the risks, if any.

Frank might be a liability at first at this point, but more importantly, Franks career might rest in Ozzies decision.

Call me paranoid, delusional, whatever you want, but I wonder if this scenario might play into Ozzie getting Frank out of his hair/ his team/Chicago forever.

RKMeibalane
05-29-2005, 05:31 PM
Keep in mind I am a totally biased Frank fan, but I wonder at times if Ozzie is trying to sabotage Frank. A little jealousy can go along way.

Frank stole the thunder when they played together, and the fans remain faithful to him despite Ozzie taking pot shots at him in the media from day 1.

I have to give Frank a heap of credit, he hasnt let his feathers get ruffled at all. Just lets it roll off, who among us could stay as cool time after time when he opens a paper or turns on the TV.

My thought on Frank playing first......it might be a risk Frank shouldnt be taking so soon. Let him strengthen that bone and the muscle that powers it in the DH position for a while.

If Ozzie really wants to play "smart ball", he would be talking to the doctors about the risks, if any.

Frank might be a liability at first at this point, but more importantly, Franks career might rest in Ozzies decision.

Call me paranoid, delusional, whatever you want, but I wonder if this scenario might play into Ozzie getting Frank out of his hair/ his team/Chicago forever.

I understand what you're saying, but I don't think that's the case. Ozzie wants to win above all else, and the Sox best chance of winning involves Frank being healthy and in the lineup. If Sox management had any reason to believe that Ozzie was trying to ruin Frank's career, he'd be gone without a second thought.

balke
05-29-2005, 05:48 PM
Frank was the best hitter we had (healthy) last year when we had Carlos Lee, Magglio Ordonez and Paul Konerko. I'm fully confident he'll come back and hit the ball very well, very far, and very clutch. This is the exact boost the team needs right now with the pitching getting hit, and horrible offensive showings from our "big hitters" of PK and Everett.

Playing first sounds like they are trying to "justify" our team having 2 pure DH's on the team. There's a lot less controversy for the sox if Frank can actually play first a few games this season.

Maybe the Sox should go after Chavez, so long it doesn't cost Mccarthy.

Pods
Iguchi
Chavez
Thomas/Everett
PK
Pierzynski
Rowand
Everett/Dye
Uribe

I just hope Frank's presence helps our hitters break out of their funks.

Daver
05-29-2005, 05:57 PM

If you are taking your best hitter out of the line up because he has a hard time intiating a double play your team has huge problems. Last time I checked the Sox have the best record in all of baseball.

RKMeibalane
05-29-2005, 05:59 PM
If you are taking your best hitter out of the line up because he has a hard time intiating a double play your team has huge problems. Last time I checked the Sox have the best record in all of baseball.

Exactly. I always use the following analogy when talking about this. Everyone knows that Shaquille O'Neal is a horrible free-throw shooter. Yet, I don't think anyone disputes that he should be on the floor late in games. Some players are too important to their team's success that their coach/manager must learn to live with their weaknesses.

FarWestChicago
05-29-2005, 06:05 PM
Have many of you forgotten that Frank cannot make the throw to second base to start a double play? Think about how critical DPs have been for this pitching staff this year. We aren't scoring enough to give up ANY extra runs, especially with the pen looking a little shaky. Ozzie, take Frank's glove and lose it.LMAO!! Where's George? I can't wait to see his response to this "classic" post. It should be fine entertainment. :cool:

RKMeibalane
05-29-2005, 06:09 PM
LMAO!! Where's George? I can't wait to see his response to this "classic" post. It should be fine entertainment. :cool:

I'm looking forward to it. PHG loves to tear down the advocates of the 3-6-3 double-play.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-29-2005, 06:09 PM
FakeChetLemon writes: Have many of you forgotten that Frank cannot make the throw to second base to start a double play? Think about how critical DPs have been for this pitching staff this year. We aren't scoring enough to give up ANY extra runs, especially with the pen looking a little shaky. Ozzie, take Frank's glove and lose it.

LMAO!! Where's George? I can't wait to see his response to this "classic" post. It should be fine entertainment. :cool:

Boy, I go work out in the yard for a few hours and the whole board goes to seed.
:wink:

Next time FCL has deeps thoughts about the ol' 3-6-3, he should start a whole new thread. We're good for at least 3 more tomatoes if the word "Konerko" appears in the thread title.
:thumbsup:

CallMeNuts
05-29-2005, 07:51 PM
Did Frank play 1B in any of his rehab games in Charlotte? -- No.

Did Frank even take grounders in Charlotte? -- Don't know, but I never saw it reported.

Did Frank play catch in Charlotte?

If Ozzie was having thoughts of Frank at 1B (which isn't necessarily bad with inter-league games at NL parks coming up, and with Konerko's marginal numbers), then why haven't they done anything no ticable to prepare for this option?

Taking the above into consideration, do you think that Oz is just trying to light a fire under PK?

Ol' No. 2
05-29-2005, 08:00 PM
Did Frank play 1B in any of his rehab games in Charlotte? -- No.

Did Frank even take grounders in Charlotte? -- Don't know, but I never saw it reported.

Did Frank play catch in Charlotte?

If Ozzie was having thoughts of Frank at 1B (which isn't necessarily bad with inter-league games at NL parks coming up, and with Konerko's marginal numbers), then why haven't they done anything no ticable to prepare for this option?

Taking the above into consideration, do you think that Oz is just trying to light a fire under PK?Or just BS the reporters? (Recall the Podsednik in LF...no, CF...no, LF stuff from spring training?)

Daver
05-29-2005, 08:02 PM
Taking the above into consideration, do you think that Oz is just trying to light a fire under PK?

Does a lumbering ox move faster with his ass on fire?

Ol' No. 2
05-29-2005, 08:03 PM
Does a lumbering ox move faster with his ass on fire?I'll bet he does.:D:

rowand33
05-29-2005, 08:22 PM
I hope Frank at first wouldn't take Paulie out of the lineup.

Konerko is on pace for 42 homers and 120 RBI (career highs), and his .344 OBP is right with his .345 career OBP.

he's hitting .364 with 3 homers over the last 7 days. keep paulie in this line up and get Carl and his .178 average in May to the bench for a while.

CLR01
05-29-2005, 08:39 PM
I hope Frank at first wouldn't take Paulie out of the lineup.

Konerko is on pace for 42 homers and 120 RBI (career highs), and his .344 OBP is right with his .345 career OBP.

Yeah and after 6 games he was on pace to hit .333 with 81 HR's and 162 RBI's. Projections are garbage. :rolleyes:

rowand33
05-29-2005, 08:50 PM
don't be so ridiculous to compare 6 games to over 50...

and leading the team in homers and rbi does mean something. as does the on base percentage. and the 6 homers 20 RBI .256 average and .375 OBP in may mean something too.

taking paulie out of the lineup and leaving Carl in would be crazy.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-29-2005, 08:59 PM

and leading the team in homers and rbi does mean something. as does the on base percentage. and the 6 homers 20 RBI .256 average and .375 OBP in may mean something too.

taking paulie out of the lineup and leaving Carl in would be crazy.

Batting average with runners in scoring position:

.234 Everett
.232 Konerko

What a surprise, another GIDPaulogist takes one on the chin!

:roflmao:

rowand33
05-29-2005, 09:07 PM
so the runners in scoring position numbers show what?

that despite the fact that all of paul's numbers are better than Carl's, they're both bad with runners in scoring position?

k... fair enough I suppose...

If they're both bad at it, I'll take Paul's good OBP, HRs, and RBIs.

fair enough?

PaleHoseGeorge
05-29-2005, 09:13 PM
If they're both bad at it, I'll take Paul's good OBP, HRs, and RBIs.

fair enough?

Have at 'em folks. We've been poking holes in this same argument for a week.

33, you're gonna get creamed.

Enjoy it. Your fellow GIDPaulogists have already taken to the hills rather than humilate themselves further on this point.
:kukoo:

CLR01
05-29-2005, 09:15 PM

Don't be so ridiculous to compare 50 games to 162. The point was that you can project numbers all day and it all means nothing.

[QUOTE]and leading the team in homers and rbi does mean something. as does the on base percentage. and the 6 homers 20 RBI .256 average and .375 OBP in may mean something too.

Yeah and so does consistency.

rowand33
05-29-2005, 09:21 PM
I think you guys misunderstand...

I'm not saying Paul's having an awesome season.

But given that his HRs and RBIs project to career highs and his OBP is at his career average...

why would we possibly bench him?!

especially when Carl's average has dropped from .280 to .232 over the month of may as he's been stuck in a month long slump where he hit .178 and had a .247 OBP?

It's not even worth benching Dye for him right now.