PDA

View Full Version : KW says Thomas can already outrun Konerko

MRKARNO
05-29-2005, 12:28 AM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-050528sox,1,7262137.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

Williams says Thomas already is running well enough to beat Paul Konerko in a footrace. That might be damning with faint praise, but it says he thinks Thomas should not be noticeably slower after surgery than he was before.

Deadguy
05-29-2005, 12:36 AM
I just got done reading the article, and was just about to post that, but you beat me to the punch! :D:

After reading the article, I did a double take when I noticed that Phil Rogers wrote it. I expected it to be by the Sox beat writer, or whoever had been sent by the Tribune to cover Thomas's rehab. The overall tone of the article almost completely contradicts a column that Phil wrote back in April.

SluggersAway
Well let's get Frank's RBI and HR count up to PK's and then we'll be talking.

Hokiesox
Noticeably slower? the only way we'd know that is if they actually did have a footrace

MRKARNO
05-29-2005, 12:40 AM
Well let's get Frank's RBI and HR count up to PK's and then we'll be talking.

That wont happen, but hopefully his rate of HRs and RBIs per game is as high as Konerko and maybe he'll even have an OBP in the .400's for good measure.

SluggersAway
05-29-2005, 01:10 AM
Given it is only May, I sure hope Frank can surpass 30 RBI's and 10 HR's.

MRKARNO
05-29-2005, 01:15 AM
Given it is only May, I sure hope Frank can surpass 30 RBI's and 10 HR's.

Oh, I thought you were referring to PK's running total (or slowing jogging in his case), not his current total. Thomas will obliterate those marks if he stays healthy.

havelj
05-29-2005, 01:30 AM
He hit a 3-run bomb tonight - way to finish up the rehab stint! His presence in the lineup will make everyone better. Watch the team OPS go up.

Cubbiesuck13
05-29-2005, 01:37 AM
I just got done reading the article, and was just about to post that, but you beat me to the punch! :D:

After reading the article, I did a double take when I noticed that Phil Rogers wrote it. I expected it to be by the Sox beat writer, or whoever had been sent by the Tribune to cover Thomas's rehab. The overall tone of the article almost completely contradicts a column that Phil wrote back in April.

Does this suprise you?

BigEdWalsh
05-29-2005, 01:38 AM
So what? My 82 year old mother could outrun Konerko.

SluggersAway
05-29-2005, 02:23 AM
Big Ed, if your mom can out hit Konerko too, I wan't her at 35th and Shields ASAP!

The Racehorse
05-29-2005, 07:45 AM
The pregnant woman still beats them both... :redneck

gosox41
05-29-2005, 09:03 AM
That wont happen, but hopefully his rate of HRs and RBIs per game is as high as Konerko and maybe he'll even have an OBP in the .400's for good measure.

And Thomas will most likely have a lot fewer GIDP's.

Bob

hose
05-29-2005, 09:33 AM
Man discovers fire .....Frank Thomas is faster than Konerko.

The Big Hurt was faster than Paulie when he had his cast on.:cool:

DumpJerry
05-29-2005, 09:47 AM
When I read that I was thinking "too bad the Tribune doesn't have teal."

ode to veeck
05-29-2005, 09:57 AM
my arthritic cat can outrun Paulie, but who cares?

MRKARNO
05-29-2005, 12:13 PM
And Thomas will most likely have a lot fewer GIDP's.

Bob

GIDPK has earned his reputation from previous years, but he's only hit into 3 so far this year. Part of that may be that Iguchi and Podsednik havent been at first base that often when he has been batting (due to SBs or CSs).

SoxSpeed22
05-29-2005, 01:02 PM
CubsfansareDRUNK's sig says it all.
http://img276.echo.cx/img276/4315/spch28bw.jpg

tstrike2000
05-29-2005, 01:14 PM
If Konerko unstrapped the Sears Tower off of his back, then maybe it would be an even foot race with the Big Hurt.

Frater Perdurabo
05-29-2005, 04:43 PM
Like Paulie, KW sometimes has controlling his oral diarrhea. However, the fact that he favorably would compare Frank's running to Paulie's speed - even if he said it humorously - indicates KW knows Paulie is a one-tool player (hitting) who historically loses that one tool for maddeningly long stretches of time.

White Sox Josh
05-29-2005, 04:46 PM
A pregnant woman could run faster than Konerko.

StillMissOzzie
05-29-2005, 06:04 PM
Noticeably slower? the only way we'd know that is if they actually did have a footrace

And that race would be timed not with a stopwatch but a calender.

SMO
:D:

RKMeibalane
05-29-2005, 06:09 PM
Like Paulie, KW sometimes has controlling his oral diarrhea. However, the fact that he favorably would compare Frank's running to Paulie's speed - even if he said it humorously - indicates KW knows Paulie is a one-tool player (hitting) who historically loses that one tool for maddeningly long stretches of time.

Actually, Konerko is a two-tool player. The five tools are hitting, hitting with power, running, throwing, and fielding. Konerko can do two of these things.

Frater Perdurabo
05-29-2005, 06:47 PM
Actually, Konerko is a two-tool player. The five tools are hitting, hitting with power, running, throwing, and fielding. Konerko can do two of these things.

I'm not sure Konerko can hit for average all that well, though. I think his batting average is augmented by his power numbers. I stand by my assertion that his only active tool is his ability to hit for power. When he came to the Sox, he might have been a two-tool player. In fairness, I guess he's a one-and-a-half tool player.

And when it comes to his oral diarrhea about his teammates, he's simply a tool. :redneck

Deadguy
05-29-2005, 08:15 PM
GIDPK has earned his reputation from previous years, but he's only hit into 3 so far this year. Part of that may be that Iguchi and Podsednik havent been at first base that often when he has been batting (due to SBs or CSs).

True. I think the fact that he is striking out at a higher rate than he used to has something to do with the drop in GIDPs, as well. Guys who strike out a lot just don't GIDP all that often. Just look at the career GIDP numbers for guys like Russ Branyan and Adam Dunn.

Flight #24
05-29-2005, 11:41 PM
IMO, a potentially lost quote in the article

You should have seen the size of Williams' eyes when a reporter asked him if he thought Guillen would have trouble fitting Thomas into the lineup.

"He is Frank Thomas," Williams said, with emphasis. "We might want him in the lineup."

This indicates that KW thinks Frank is still a potent offensive weapon, i.e. the days of him hating Frank and thinking he's bad for the team may well be gone. If that's true, then I'd expct Frank to be around next year (probably via renegotiated contract w/ extension.

RKMeibalane
05-29-2005, 11:44 PM

This indicates that KW thinks Frank is still a potent offensive weapon, i.e. the days of him hating Frank and thinking he's bad for the team may well be gone. If that's true, then I'd expct Frank to be around next year (probably via renegotiated contract w/ extension.

What that quote is indicative of is the fact that KW wants to win. After three years of finishing behind the Twins in the standings, he has put together a team that's good enough to reach the postseason, and getting Frank back may be the thing that really gets this team going.

Ol' No. 2
05-29-2005, 11:45 PM

This indicates that KW thinks Frank is still a potent offensive weapon, i.e. the days of him hating Frank and thinking he's bad for the team may well be gone. If that's true, then I'd expct Frank to be around next year (probably via renegotiated contract w/ extension.No. Phil Rogers says Frank will definately be let go after this year.

How hard can it be to find a roster spot for him? It's not as if they have nine .300 hitters and they're going to have to send a good bat to the bench to make room.:(:

ode to veeck
05-30-2005, 09:14 AM
wrong, paulie has three of those skills, as he is actually a decent fielder and target at 1B

PaleHoseGeorge
05-30-2005, 09:31 AM
wrong, paulie has three of those skills, as he is actually a decent fielder and target at 1B

Not really. He has a + arm for a firstbasemen, as if that's worth much since the play is over 99 percent of the time he gets the ball... not that those extra three outs Pauleee gives us every season with the ol' 3-6-3 double play aren't worth it as every GIDPaulogist will tell us.

:kukoo:

He doesn't need a walker to field his position (yet) but his range for a firstbasemen sucks. His ability to field balls is average at best, not because of his glove (which is probably decent) but because he is a small target compared to the behemoths that usually play first base. Balls get past him because he simply isn't a big enough target.

Firstbasemen = Tree trunk

Value, Big target > Value, Small target

As tree trunks go, Konerko is undersized and it hurts him as a firstbasemen. Konerko is a willow for a position where being an oak is far better.

:cool:

mccoydp
05-30-2005, 09:35 AM

I don't know, but I think it's a toss-up between Frank and Crazy Carl. Maybe they should have a footrace to see who gets the DH spot.

maurice
05-31-2005, 02:11 PM
GIDPK has earned his reputation from previous years, but he's only hit into 3 so far this year.

Mr. One-Tool himself made up for lost time on Monday, grouding into not one but two DPs in key situations.
:angry:

soxrme
05-31-2005, 04:39 PM
Now we all know how slow Paulie is but somebody has to tell Joey Cora about it. He thinks Paulie and Widger are fleet of foot.:o: