PDA

View Full Version : How much money will the Sox have next year to spend

GoSoxGo!
05-28-2005, 05:05 PM
I was woundering i know this season could be great but wat about next season.

munchman33
05-28-2005, 05:38 PM
As is the case every season, payroll for the next year is tied to attendance in the previous year.

Jurr
05-28-2005, 05:40 PM
As is the case every season, payroll for the next year is tied to attendance in the previous year.
So, according to this information and the media's alleged attendance figures for our stadium, we're looking at having around 18 bucks and change to spend.

RKMeibalane
05-28-2005, 05:41 PM
Let's worry about next year when this season is over.

jabrch
05-28-2005, 05:50 PM
Given that JR has raised payroll the past few years, and given that it looks like there should be more people in the park this year, I can't imagine we won't see another increase in payroll.

What will be interesting is what happens to some of our guys who are approaching FA in the next two years.

What will happen to Frank? Garland? Everett? PK? Contreras? Buerle even is approaching contract time...

All of that, coupled with a potential increase in payroll, would leave KW in a spot where he could further do some things to the team. The problem is that next year is not really a great FA crowd. Last year was a great FA crowd, but KW really didn't have as much flexibility as he may have next year.

Either way - this year first...then next year.

Lip Man 1
05-28-2005, 06:14 PM
Agreed....many things can take place between now and November when free agency begins.

Lip

mantis1212
05-28-2005, 06:17 PM
A lot more if they win the World Series

BainesHOF
05-28-2005, 06:42 PM
Let's worry about next year when this season is over.

Exactly. Live in the moment and enjoy that we're the best team in baseball THIS year.

Who cares about next year?

Fake Chet Lemon
05-28-2005, 06:43 PM
I was woundering i know this season could be great but wat about next season.

My goodness people, it's "wait 'til next year" for the Cubs. Let's concentrate on this season, we have a good thing going on. Worry about next season after Frank's walk-off beats the Cardinals in October......

Daver
05-28-2005, 06:59 PM
What will happen to Frank? Garland? Everett? PK? Contreras? Buerle even is approaching contract time...

Mark is under contract through 2007.

jabrch
05-28-2005, 07:09 PM
Mark is under contract through 2007.

Right...I did say "the next two years" to cover him. I was saying that I'd like to be on the leading edge with him if possible, and buy out a few of those years, if we have extra cash lying around, rather than wait until he hits FA and get in a bidding war with NYY, his hometown Cardinals, and any other team who might want one of the best LHP in the game. I'm glad he's locked down through 2007, but as long as we are having a thread talking about the future, I'd love to see a committment made to Mark that we want him to be a part of this franchise well past 2007.

I know the Chairman doesn't like long term deals to pitchers...but that's not my problem.

Daver
05-28-2005, 07:12 PM
Right...I did say "the next two years" to cover him. I was saying that I'd like to be on the leading edge with him if possible, and buy out a few of those years, if we have extra cash lying around, rather than wait until he hits FA and get in a bidding war with NYY, his hometown Cardinals, and any other team who might want one of the best LHP in the game. I'm glad he's locked down through 2007, but as long as we are having a thread talking about the future, I'd love to see a committment made to Mark that we want him to be a part of this franchise well past 2007.

I know the Chairman doesn't like long term deals to pitchers...but that's not my problem.

I believe there is also an option for 2008, I don't have time to check it right now though.

jabrch
05-28-2005, 07:28 PM
I believe there is also an option for 2008, I don't have time to check it right now though.

Great!!!!!