PDA

View Full Version : Cubs dump LaToya Hawkins

santo=dorf
05-28-2005, 11:44 AM
Per WGN radio.

Giants message board is saying the Giants are sending Jerome Williams and David Aardsma to the Cubs.

winning ugly 72
05-28-2005, 12:02 PM
Per WGN radio.

Giants message board is saying the Giants are sending Jerome Williams and David Aardsma to the Cubs.

just saw it on mlb.com

RKMeibalane
05-28-2005, 12:02 PM
Per WGN radio.

Darn! I was hoping the Twins would get him back.

Podzilla_40
05-28-2005, 12:07 PM
Why in the hell would they give up Williams for Hawkins?

shaunburnette
05-28-2005, 12:09 PM
it actually seems like a pretty good trade for the cubs. what the heck were the giants thinking?

CHICAGO -- The Chicago Cubs on Saturday traded right-handed pitcher LaTroy Hawkins to the San Francisco Giants for right-handed pitchers Jerome Williams and David Aardsma. Hawkins, who signed as a free agent with the Cubs prior to 2004, was 6-8 with a 2.76 ERA in 98 games with Chicago.

Williams, 23, has seen action with both the Giants and their Triple-A affiliate this year. He was 10-7 with a 4.24 ERA last year with the big-league club.

Aardsma, 23, is in his third professional season and has gone 13-7 with a 2.86 ERA in 71 Minor League games.

MRKARNO
05-28-2005, 12:14 PM
I think people underrate Latroy's. He had problems in Chicago, but I'd bet he'll be great in SBC Park where the long ball will be much less of an issue and he'll have a fresh start.

I actually think that this was a good trade for the Giants. Jerome Williams, while young, has had a lot of issues lately and doesnt appear to have as much value and promise as he once did. Aardsma looks like he may be a future closer, but that would still be a few years off. The Giants needed to bolster their bullpen now and they didnt give up too much in doing so.

SoxxoS
05-28-2005, 12:35 PM
The Cubs got the better of this deal, unfortunately.

Kuzman
05-28-2005, 12:46 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050528&content_id=1065842&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

CHICAGO -- The Chicago Cubs on Saturday traded right-handed pitcher LaTroy Hawkins to the San Francisco Giants for right-handed pitchers Jerome Williams and David Aardsma.

buehrle4cy05
05-28-2005, 12:50 PM
Holy crap, but the Cubs got a heck of a deal here. Williams will fill in with their injury-prone staff, and Aardsma is their closer of the future.

Rocklive99
05-28-2005, 01:00 PM
Noooooo, the Giants must really be desperate.

Screw Latroy, all he did was :whiner: and blame the media when he didn't do well. I don't care if he gets lit up, playing for the Twins and the Flubs, almost the Trisuckta (or whatever it was called in the other thread)

seanpmurphy
05-28-2005, 01:11 PM
I'm going to miss hawkins and his ability to create dramatic ways to blow games.

bigfoot
05-28-2005, 01:12 PM
Williams and Aardsma, the latest in long line of arms, soon to be ruined by the "Winds of the Urinal".

Most forget the accolades bestowed upon Latroy as he arrived to "save" the Blue Plague. Why will these guys be any different?

Chisox003
05-28-2005, 01:13 PM
This is actually a great deal for the Cubs...

What the hell are the Giants doing??

seventytwo
05-28-2005, 01:34 PM

Brian Sabean rarely gets "taken" during a trade. My guess is LaTroy fills in nicely in a set-up roll in SF.

dcb33
05-28-2005, 01:49 PM
I think people underrate Latroy's. He had problems in Chicago, but I'd ...bet he'll be great in SBC Park where the long ball will be much less of an issue and he'll have a fresh start.

I actually think that this was a good trade for the Giants. Jerome Williams, while young, has had a lot of issues lately and doesnt appear to have as much value and promise as he once did. Aardsma looks like he may be a future closer, but that would still be a few years off. The Giants needed to bolster their bullpen now and they didnt give up too much in doing so.

The deal also involves cash, so I would imagine the Cubs are paying the majority of LaToya's salary. It's a good low risk/high reward move for the Giants becuase he could be one of the pieces of the puzzle they need to put them over the top to win that division and it's not really costing them anything more than a pair of marginal prospects....

TDog
05-28-2005, 01:52 PM
My guess is Hawkins becomes a good pitcher again.

SSN721
05-28-2005, 01:58 PM
Sounds like a lot to give up for the Giants, even if the Cubs are paying most of LaToyas contract. i do agree that I think Hawkins will do much better there then here, he was just completely burnt out and hated, it must have been hard for him everytime he took the mound. he will get a fresh start in SF and probably do much better. I do think the Cubs really made a great deal though. Have two potential decent starters or one starter and one good releiver as I think Aardsma was being brought through the system as a releiver until last year. And a pretty damn good one. have to give some props to Hendry on this one, at least initially.

Rocklive99
05-28-2005, 02:00 PM
Poor Flub fans, how could have the Trib Compnay taken away names on the back of the uniforms, now they will just boo Jermoe Williams, seeing a black man and thinking he is LaTroy

SoxFan76
05-28-2005, 02:01 PM
My guess is Hawkins becomes a good pitcher again.

He reminds me of Marte. He can setup, but just can't seem to close. Cubs got a hell of a deal here. How do they do it?

Hangar18
05-28-2005, 02:06 PM

I say again ...... why Cant KW make trades like this? I was just talking
about this in another thread, how Jim Hendry is able to turn water into wine.
I dont want to hear how "nobody is going to give you good players for bad players".

gobears1987
05-28-2005, 03:14 PM
They have to have the worst GM in baseball.

I know a great way to improve the pen! We will cut lose Dustin Hermanson and acquire LaTroy Hawkins from the Cubs!!!! We will be unstopable with this. Then we also need to have some of our pitchers make up stories about AJ Pierzynski, whom we traded Joe Nathan for, and then cut AJ lose!!! We can't lose the NL West this year.

chisoxt
05-28-2005, 03:17 PM
I dont want to hear how "nobody is going to give you good players for bad players".

I am always thinking the same thing. Kenny's best strength is picking guys off of the scrap heap in the off-season.

gobears1987
05-28-2005, 03:21 PM
I am always thinking the same thing. Kenny's best strength is picking guys off of the scrap heap in the off-season.
We can't forget his strength in picking up people from Japan.

California Sox
05-28-2005, 03:31 PM
First of all, Sabean gets taken plenty of times (see Nathan et al for A.J.). Also, has Hendry sold his soul to the Devil? How can he keep trading absolute cr*p for quality players? He got two very, very good arms here for a guy who was never going to pitch effectively for the Cubs again. It's not going to matter this year as the Cubs will never catch the Cards now, but it's a very solid deal.

MisterB
05-28-2005, 03:38 PM
Holy crap. Sabean's apparently trying to get himself fired. Trade 2 former first round draft picks for a has-been reliever? Sport-talk radio in the Bay Area is going to be a very interesting listen over the upcoming weeks. :?:

Jjav829
05-28-2005, 03:52 PM
Holy crap. Sabean's apparently trying to get himself fired. Trade 2 former first round draft picks for a has-been reliever? Sport-talk radio in the Bay Area is going to be a very interesting listen over the upcoming weeks. :?:

My first thought when I heard this trade was that the Giants got ripped off. However, then I remembered the Sidney Ponson trade. I thought Sabean was out of his mind for trading Ainsworth and Moss to rent Ponson. Well, it turns out Sabean wasn't really ripped off. I'm more likely to give him the benefit of the doubt with this trade than most other GMs.

The most peculiar part of the deal is that Sabean apparently still thinks the Giants are in it for the long haul this year. They are 5.5 games back of first entering today. Benitez is possibly done for the season and there's no telling when/if Bonds will return. Without those two players the Giants are in trouble. IMO, they need to start getting younger. Trading two young prospects for a 32-year-old reliever is a curious move in that sense.

SOXSINCE'70
05-28-2005, 05:12 PM
I'm going to miss hawkins and his ability to create dramatic ways to blow games.

It's too bad LaChoke won't be around in June when the Sox and
the Inferior North Side NL ball club meet.The Sox offense needs
a boost.His name is LaChoke Hawkins!!:whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

FarWestChicago
05-28-2005, 05:22 PM
I dont want to hear how "nobody is going to give you good players for bad players".:?: What good players did the Flubs get? You must know something the locals out here don't Hangar. Either that, or you're wearing a tin foil hat. :D:

JB98
05-28-2005, 10:00 PM
:?: What good players did the Flubs get? You must know something the locals out here don't Hangar. Either that, or you're wearing a tin foil hat. :D:

I'm with you on this one, West. I don't know why anyone would think this is a great deal for the Cubs. Williams is 0-2 with an ERA in the sixes. He had arm trouble last season, and he's been on the shuttle between the Giants and their triple-A club this year. In that regard, he should fit right in with the Cubs.
:D:

I don't believe I've ever seen Aardsma pitch. I've heard he's a hard thrower, but so is Carrie Woods. That doesn't necessarily mean anything. If Aardsma is a bullpen savior for the Cubs, well, I'll believe it when I see it.

This might be a good deal for the Cubs, just because getting rid of LaToya's blown saves and piss-poor attitude is addition by subtraction. Other than that, who cares? I see this move as similar to the Sox trading Koch for Wilson Valdez.

Ol' No. 2
05-28-2005, 10:03 PM
I wouldn't sell Hawkins short. He was pretty effective as a set-up man in Minnesota before Dusty got hold of him. I'll bet all comers that he becomes effective again with a decent manager and coach. Stay tuned. It may look like SF got the better of this deal by the end of the season.

FarWestChicago
05-28-2005, 10:18 PM
I wouldn't sell Hawkins short. He was pretty effective as a set-up man in Minnesota before Dusty got hold of him. I'll bet all comers that he becomes effective again with a decent manager and coach. Stay tuned. It may look like SF got the better of this deal by the end of the season.I heard an interview with Sabean on the radio this morning and he was saying the Gain'ts really need help in the 7th and 8th and he thinks Hawkins can thrive there like he did in the Baggie Dome. He specifically said Hawkins would never see a 9th inning save situation. He also said he thought the change of scenery would do him well. He implied Dustbin misused him and got him into an unrecoverable tailspin. :D:

ChiWhiteSox1337
05-28-2005, 10:21 PM
I just love all the people who think the Cubs got a great deal in this trade. Jerome Williams has only recorded one win this season, and that was for the Giants' AAA team. His ERA is nearly 10 in the minors, which is not that great the last time I checked. He recorded 10 wins a few seasons ago, but that was it.

Foulke You
05-30-2005, 09:14 PM
I wouldn't sell Hawkins short. He was pretty effective as a set-up man in Minnesota before Dusty got hold of him. I'll bet all comers that he becomes effective again with a decent manager and coach. Stay tuned. It may look like SF got the better of this deal by the end of the season.
You are correct No.2, some people here have forgotten just how good Latroy Hawkins was when he wore that Twins uniform and when he was left ONLY in the setup role. The Giants plan on using him as a setup man, he is in a park that isn't homer friendly, he is out of the Wrigley Field bandbox, and he is out of the hostile Cubs environment where he had zero confidence. This could end up being quite a steal for the Giants in the long run. They gave up two middle of the road prospects and are making the Cubs pay for Latroy's salary. Take a look at Latroy's numbers from the Twins when he was exclusively used as a setup man:

2002 6W-0L 2.13 E.R.A. 63K 15BB 81.0 IP
2003 9W-3L 1.86 E.R.A. 75K 15BB 77.1 IP

It wouldn't surprise me to see Hawkins return to the effectiveness in SF.

daveeym
05-31-2005, 09:27 AM
You are correct No.2, some people here have forgotten just how good Latroy Hawkins was when he wore that Twins uniform and when he was left ONLY in the setup role. The Giants plan on using him as a setup man, he is in a park that isn't homer friendly, he is out of the Wrigley Field bandbox, and he is out of the hostile Cubs environment where he had zero confidence. This could end up being quite a steal for the Giants in the long run. They gave up two middle of the road prospects and are making the Cubs pay for Latroy's salary. Take a look at Latroy's numbers from the Twins when he was exclusively used as a setup man:

2002 6W-0L 2.13 E.R.A. 63K 15BB 81.0 IP
2003 9W-3L 1.86 E.R.A. 75K 15BB 77.1 IP

It wouldn't surprise me to see Hawkins return to the effectiveness in SF. His stats with the cubs (posted above) were pretty darn good as well. Plain and simple he was misused and not a closer.