PDA

View Full Version : Now Here Is One Ignorant Cub Fan

Wsoxmike59
05-28-2005, 10:20 AM
But aren't they all??? In today's Cubune, one guy writes in to complain about the coverage the Tribune is giving to the 1ST PLACE WHITE SOX.

But it's OK when the shoe is on the other foot giving preference to a team that perennially trails the White Sox in Won-Loss record......as it has been doing for the past 25 years or so. Here's a tip for you Brendan, go cry in your friggin beer at "Wrigley Stadium" and sing the 7th inning stretch with the endless supply of losers that butcher Take Me Out to the Ballgame!!! :D:

OTHER VIEWS: THE READERS HAVE THEIR SAY

Cut it back, Sox-une

Brendan Tripp

May 28, 2005

CHICAGO -- Look, I realize you folks at Tribune sports probably mean well, but all these monster two-page spreads about the White Sox are just so much wasted paper to Cubs fans.

I, like many other lifelong Cubs fans, wholeheartedly agree with Father Andrew Greeley (as interviewed in your pages some while ago) that things would have been so much nicer in Chicago had the Sox packed up and moved to Florida when that deal was on the table. Better to use those column inches to cover something worthwhile like the Rush and arena football or high school tennis . . . anything but the White Sox.

Please give up on your "conversion campaign" to get people to like the South Side team. Picking up the Tribune's sports pages these days is like opening one's door to find Jehovah's Witnesses outside. Cubs fans don't want to hear it

Wsoxmike59
05-28-2005, 10:24 AM
Haha! Even Tribune reporter Dave Van Dyck gives the Cubs a shot in his column about the Cub offense getting better AB's.

Better at-bats? No kidding
CUBS 10, ROCKIES 3

By Dave van Dyck
Special to the Tribune
Published May 28, 2005

Sometimes you win, and sometimes you lose.

Friday, the Cubs did both.

They beat Colorado 10-3 with a rare offensive explosion, but they may have lost pitcher Mark Prior for at least two months after a Brad Hawpe line drive smacked him on his right elbow.

Prior was hit in the fourth inning and went immediately to Northwestern Memorial Hospital, where X-rays were negative. But an MRI revealed a hairline fracture, team sources said late Friday, and Prior will go on the disabled list.

The Cubs went on to pound out 11 hits, including four home runs, and produce their first double-digit scoring since April 25 against Cincinnati.

Coincidence or not, the offensive onslaught in front of 38,771 Wrigley Field fans followed a closed-door team meeting before the game at which the topic of getting better at-bats was the main subject.

Dan H
05-28-2005, 11:52 AM
This is so typical of a Cub fans who have the following tradtions:

1. Throwing opposition home run balls back (or at least pretending to)
2. Bartman scapegoating
3. Chokes of 1969, 1984, 1989, 2003, and 2004
4. Anticipated excuse making for 2005
5. Losing
6. Taking the seventh inning tradition and turning it into a farce
7. Losing
8. "Hat Shots"
9. Paranoia about someone or something poisoniing their weeds
10. Losing

I can't come up with a better Top Ten list. And now we have crybaby letters in the Tribune. They just keep trying to sink lower.

S-SideTrifecta
05-28-2005, 12:11 PM
This is so typical of a Cub fans who have the following tradtions:

1. Throwing opposition home run balls back (or at least pretending to)
2. Bartman scapegoating
3. Chokes of 1969, 1984, 1989, 2003, and 2004
4. Anticipated excuse making for 2005
5. Losing
6. Taking the seventh inning tradition and turning it into a farce
7. Losing
8. "Hat Shots"
9. Paranoia about someone or something poisoniing their weeds
10. Losing

I can't come up with a better Top Ten list. And now we have crybaby letters in the Tribune. They just keep trying to sink lower.

11. Throwing garbage on the field because they don't get their way

C-Dawg
05-28-2005, 12:30 PM
That is too funny! It reminds me of the signature that someone has, or had: What do you call a Cub fan with an opinion? Wrong!.

Did anyone hear the nutcase that called the Score this morning about 10:30? He was yelling and screaming that the Sox would be NOWHERE if they had suffered a couple injuries to their starting pitchers like the Cubs have, and when everyone is healthy the Cubs should be the best team in baseball, not the Sox.

I was hoping the hosts would point out that last September, when everyone was healthy including Woods, Prior, and Sammy Sosa, the Cubs rolled over and died during the last two weeks of the season and blew their their couple-three game lead in the Wild Card and let Houston make it to the playoffs instead.

chitownhawkfan
05-28-2005, 01:21 PM
Somebody please check out this website http://home.att.net/%7EBTPS/ this is the douchebag who wrote in and bitched to the Cubune. He is the caricature of every loser Cubs fan I can think of. hahaha what a loser

buehrle4cy05
05-28-2005, 01:23 PM
Here's my "second opinions" letter. Probably won't get printed.

Last week, there was a letter in this section that said the White Sox are wasting the Tribune's space by being covered. The person who wrote this was obviosly a completely biased Cubs fan. The White Sox are one of MLB's best teams and they are getting national attention. It is imcomprehensible to think that the White Sox would not be covered in their local newspaper. This person obviously still wants to believe that the White Sox are nothing but a mediocre team, so when the Tribune covers their games (a lot of which they have won), this upsets this person and makes him look bad. I am a White Sox fan, but as a fan of baseball in particular, not covering a hometown team would mean that a newspaper would have stooped to the lowest level of reporting. The person that wrote this article hopefully does not represent Cubs fans as a whole.
JJ Stankevitz
Oak Park, IL

seanpmurphy
05-28-2005, 01:28 PM
Guys do we really need to bash this guy into the ground? I mean he writes poety, yeesh!

Then again

Yeah. We do need to bash him into the ground. :whiner: the tribune would rather cover a first place team rather than a sub-.500 one:whiner:

It's getting old, seriously.

Baby Fisk
05-28-2005, 01:31 PM
11. Throwing garbage on the field because they don't get their way

12. Cheering on their classy players as they yell and scream and show-up the umpires when calls don't go their way.

13. Going to a baseball game for the sake of BEING THERE, as opposed to watching the actual baseball game and giving a damn if their team wins or not.

14. Losing.

Hangar18
05-28-2005, 01:43 PM
Somebody please check out this website http://home.att.net/%7EBTPS/ this is the douchebag who wrote in and bitched to the Cubune. He is the caricature of every loser Cubs fan I can think of. hahaha what a loser

That picture of him is funny. Reading his Tribune letter, I immediately had him pegged as a 22 yr old college kid, who loved Sammy and how he saved baseball. Turns out he resembles more the Steve Bartman type, heh heh.

Lip Man 1
05-28-2005, 02:07 PM
Dan:

Remember it's now the fault of the stadium where the wind blows in and the grass is thick and high.

LOL

Lip

gosox41
05-28-2005, 05:59 PM
But aren't they all??? In today's Cubune, one guy writes in to complain about the coverage the Tribune is giving to the 1ST PLACE WHITE SOX.

But it's OK when the shoe is on the other foot giving preference to a team that perennially trails the White Sox in Won-Loss record......as it has been doing for the past 25 years or so. Here's a tip for you Brendan, go cry in your friggin beer at "Wrigley Stadium" and sing the 7th inning stretch with the endless supply of losers that butcher Take Me Out to the Ballgame!!! :D:

Cut it back, Sox-une

Brendan Tripp

May 28, 2005

CHICAGO -- Look, I realize you folks at Tribune sports probably mean well, but all these monster two-page spreads about the White Sox are just so much wasted paper to Cubs fans.

I, like many other lifelong Cubs fans, wholeheartedly agree with Father Andrew Greeley (as interviewed in your pages some while ago) that things would have been so much nicer in Chicago had the Sox packed up and moved to Florida when that deal was on the table. Better to use those column inches to cover something worthwhile like the Rush and arena football or high school tennis . . . anything but the White Sox.

Please give up on your "conversion campaign" to get people to like the South Side team. Picking up the Tribune's sports pages these days is like opening one's door to find Jehovah's Witnesses outside. Cubs fans don't want to hear it

I read this and cracked up. What a sore loser.

Bob

Uncle_Patrick
05-29-2005, 12:40 AM

Cut it back, Sox-une

Brendan Tripp

May 28, 2005

You should have titled this thread "Now here is one Arrogant Cubs fan." This is what angers me about alot of Cubs fans. Some of them are so arrogant that they believe that the White Sox, a team that has played in Chicago for over 100 years, should not matter. The Sox are doing well, but don't report on it, because Cubs fans don't care (or, more likely, are either jealous or bitter because their team is plagued with one problem after another), thus no one should care.

alohafri
05-29-2005, 09:13 AM
Hangar, go out and get yourself a copy of yesterday's (Saturday's) Cubune and read the first letter in the sports section. I'm sure we will all be reading your response in next week's edition.

skobabe8
05-29-2005, 11:19 AM
Heres my email....

I love your poetry. Let me know what you think of mine:

Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
The cubs are losers,
And so are you.

TornLabrum
05-29-2005, 11:44 AM
Wouldn't it be funny if there were two guys with that name in a metropolitan area of 8,000,000 people and you guys are harrassing the wrong one?

Hitmen77
05-29-2005, 11:46 AM

Cut it back, Sox-une

Brendan Tripp

May 28, 2005

Typical arrogant Cub fan. I'm not surprised that the Trib chose to print this garbabe in their letters page - no way they're going to pass over an anti-Sox letter.

voodoochile
05-29-2005, 11:47 AM
Wouldn't it be funny if there were two guys with that name in a metropolitan area of 8,000,000 people and you guys are harrassing the wrong one?

No, it wouldn't be funny at all, IMO. I have deleted all of the posts with the e-mail address and from now on will start giving people rips who do it.

Why would any of you think this was an acceptable idea? Would any of you like it if someone posted your e-mail address on a flubs message board and invited the 4K members to start spamming your inbox?

Grow up people...:?:

TornLabrum
05-29-2005, 11:51 AM
No, it wouldn't be funny at all, IMO. I have deleted all of the posts with the e-mail address and from now on will start giving people rips who do it.

Why would any of you think this was an acceptable idea? Would any of you like it if someone posted your e-mail address on a flubs message board and invited the 4K members to start spamming your inbox?

Thank you!!!!!!

Nellie_Fox
05-30-2005, 02:38 AM
I'm not surprised that the Trib chose to print this garbabe in their letters page - no way they're going to pass over an anti-Sox letter.Think about it. They didn't print it because it was anti-Sox. They printed it because they think it proves that there is no Cub bias. They can point to it and say "see, Sox fans think we do too much Cubs coverage and Cubs fans think we do too much Sox coverage. We can't win."

mccoydp
05-30-2005, 09:38 AM
Ignorant Cubs fan? Say it ain't so!

ewokpelts
05-30-2005, 10:03 AM
Heres my email....

Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
The cubs are losers,
And so are you.

:shammy
that's so funny, my back had spasms

daveeym
05-30-2005, 03:46 PM
That picture of him is funny. Reading his Tribune letter, I immediately had him pegged as a 22 yr old college kid, who loved Sammy and how he saved baseball. Turns out he resembles more the Steve Bartman type, heh heh.Holy crap that's UICjason (friday13thjason) in 20 years.

Hitmen77
06-01-2005, 09:08 AM
That picture of him is funny. Reading his Tribune letter, I immediately had him pegged as a 22 yr old college kid, who loved Sammy and how he saved baseball. Turns out he resembles more the Steve Bartman type, heh heh.

I was picturing this douchebag:
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2005-05/17647830.jpg

Rocky Soprano
06-01-2005, 09:48 AM
Heres my email....

Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
The cubs are losers,
And so are you.

:roflmao:

Irishsox1
06-01-2005, 10:41 AM
I'm wondering why the Tribune would print such a stupid letter? Most letters cover certain articles that were written, then the Tribune prints a rambling Anti-Sox letter. It doesn't fit into the typical letters to the editor.

However, the point of the letter, (that the Sox should of moved to Florida), is something that the Tribune Corporation has been wishing since they bought the team. They want zero competition in a major market and they are tired of the White Sox cutting into their profits. They can't come out and say it, so they choose to print some rambling letter that backs of their wishes. Screw the Tribune Corporation! There nothing but a bunch of soulless, greedy corporate bastards hellbent on trashing the White Sox.

Uncle_Patrick
06-01-2005, 11:02 AM
I'm wondering why the Tribune would print such a stupid letter? Most letters cover certain articles that were written, then the Tribune prints a rambling Anti-Sox letter. It doesn't fit into the typical letters to the editor.

See Nellie Fox's response above. I think he's 100% correct. Sox fans have been complaining for years that baseball coverage in this town is biased towards the Cubs. Now Cubs fans are complaining that the Sox are getting too much coverage and the Cubune can say "Look Sox fans, now you're getting so much coverage that Cubs fans are complaining. We're not biased!" The problem with this letter is that it comes from a breed of Cubs fan who believes that the White Sox should not get any coverage. As a Sox fan, I don't care that the Cubs get media coverage, I just want the Sox to get a fair share. There is, however, a breed of Cubs fan who comes out of the woodwork when the Sox are doing well and cry "No, no, no! No White Sox talk! We don't want to hear about, therefore no one wants to hear about it! Stop talking about them!" They are probably the same people who cry about the media "hating" the Cubs and MLB's conspiracy against the Cubs when someone in the media pounds the Cubs for doing something stupid.

TDog
06-01-2005, 12:00 PM
I'm wondering why the Tribune would print such a stupid letter? ....

Newspapers print stupid -- often hilariously idiotic -- letters all the time. The Tribune probably receives bags full of stupid letters. It could be that this one isn't unique and respresents a large group of stupid letters the Tribune has received.

If such feelings comprise the public face of Cubs fans, it's not wonder some people posting at WSI found joy in seeing Mark Prior being hit with a line drive.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-01-2005, 12:55 PM
Two points.

1.) Letters to the editor say less about what the writer wanted to say than what the EDITOR wanted you to READ.

2.) Anyone surprised that the Cubune's sports editor would publish a self-serving letter criticizing the "Sox-une" should have their head examined.

:kukoo:

Here's a thought: don't bother reading "Letters to the Editor." It's the biggest propaganda portion of the newspaper.

The day the newspaper industry allows every reader to post and reply on equal terms with their own cadre of hired shills is the day the newspaper industry finally catches up with the internet. It won't happen in our lifetime... book it.

:cool:

daveeym
06-01-2005, 01:38 PM
Two points.

1.) Letters to the editor say less about what the writer wanted to say than what the EDITOR wanted you to READ.

2.) Anyone surprised that the Cubune's sports editor would publish a self-serving letter criticizing the "Sox-une" should have their head examined.

Here's a thought: don't bother reading "Letters to the Editor." It's the biggest propaganda portion of the newspaper.

The day the newspaper industry allows every reader to post and reply on equal terms with their own cadre of hired shills is the day the newspaper industry finally catches up with the internet. It won't happen in our lifetime... book it.

:cool: Every day I'm more convinced that the mediots get their ideas from this site. I'd love to run a misinformation campaign one day and see how many of the mediots run with articles on our "breaking news."

voodoochile
06-01-2005, 01:44 PM
Two points.

That's why there are places like WSI so casual fans have a voice that can be heard.

The more the Internet grows, the more mainstream media is going to have to deal with fans who no longer swallow their tripe hook line and sinker.

TDog
06-01-2005, 01:46 PM
Two points.

2.) Anyone surprised that the Cubune's sports editor would publish a self-serving letter criticizing the "Sox-une" should have their head examined....

I don't know about the Tribune, but I haven't found that to be the case at newspapers I'm familiar with. The people who edit the letters often disagree with the ones they run. Often they take pride in running letters that make the letter-writer look stupid.

Of course, whether that's the case with the editors at the Tribune, I wouldn't know.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-01-2005, 02:01 PM
I don't know about the Tribune, but I haven't found that to be the case at newspapers I'm familiar with. The people who edit the letters often disagree with the ones they run. Often they take pride in running letters that make the letter-writer look stupid.

Of course, whether that's the case with the editors at the Tribune, I wouldn't know.

I think you and I are describing two different ends of the same elephant.
:wink:

We agree that "Letters to the Editor" are edited, the same as any other part of the newspaper. As such they reflect the editor's point of view, whether to glorify their own point of view or make somebody with an opposing view look like an idiot.

Hitmen77
06-01-2005, 02:50 PM
I'm wondering why the Tribune would print such a stupid letter? Shouldn't this be in teal?

Most letters cover certain articles that were written, then the Tribune prints a rambling Anti-Sox letter. It doesn't fit into the typical letters to the editor. However, the point of the letter, (that the Sox should of moved to Florida), is something that the Tribune Corporation has been wishing since they bought the team. They want zero competition in a major market and they are tired of the White Sox cutting into their profits. They can't come out and say it, so they choose to print some rambling letter that backs of their wishes. Screw the Tribune Corporation! There nothing but a bunch of soulless, greedy corporate bastards hellbent on trashing the White Sox.

Exactly! "Letters to the Editor" is an excellent way for an evil corp. like the Tribune to selectively print letters in a way that gives the impression that the general public feels a certain way. That's why they like to throw in the anti-Sox letters when they have a chance - and they do like to publish letters trashing the Sox and Sox fans.

This was a perfect plan - the "fair" Tribune gives a ton of Sox coverage for one day and then they show in their "letters" page that the public was unhappy with this.

Dick Allen
06-01-2005, 03:29 PM
The title of this thread is redundant.

TDog
06-02-2005, 01:51 AM
I think you and I are describing two different ends of the same elephant.
:wink:

We agree that "Letters to the Editor" are edited, the same as any other part of the newspaper. As such they reflect the editor's point of view, whether to glorify their own point of view or make somebody with an opposing view look like an idiot.

When I wrote that letters to the editor were edited, I didn't mean to imply any revisions that would change meaning. Some are cut because of length. Obviously you don't want to libel anyone. Everything has to be edited for grammar and style. Even spelling. Some reporters aren't good at the mechanics of writing, but you need only look at some of the postings here to see what people left to their own devices will do with the language. People seem only to be guessing at rules for capitalization. Few seem to understand they should be writing "would've" when they write "would of." And it isn't only Cubs fans who misuse apostrophes. Perhaps they misuse them more frequently than anything else.

Although the concept that a free press should even attempt to be impartial is only a little more than a century old (it goes back to the late 19th century when the wealthy newspaper owners realized their fascist views weren't shared by the downtrodden masses they wanted as customers), there is a tradition at least that long of representing what the public has to say on the letters page. Letters editors for the New York Times some years ago were fired for writing some of the letters on the page and using pseudonyms.

Again, I don't know what's going on at the Tribune, but at newspapers I'm familiar with, the letters on the letters page aren't determined by editorial policy. The exception would be that priority generally is given to letters that oppose editorial policy.

skottyj242
06-02-2005, 02:31 PM

I completly agree with you. I just wrote the Tribune instead.

Wsoxmike59
06-04-2005, 11:13 AM
There were a couple of responses in this morning's Tribune to the Brandon Tripp editorial of last weekend. Here is an excellent response from a Sox fan:

OTHER VIEWS THE READERS HAVE THEIR SAY

Telling it like it was

Patrick Murphy
Published June 4, 2005

TINLEY PARK -- When I first read last week's letter from reader Brendan Tripp about the Tribune's baseball coverage, I assumed it was written tongue-in-cheek. I quickly realized it wasn't.

It was actually a prime example of why Sox fans feel the way they do about the Cubs and their fans.

As a group, Cubs fans have become awfully smug over a team that hasn't won anything for almost a century.

Tripp complained the Tribune is giving too much attention to the Sox. Yes, I guess it doesn't make any sense that a newspaper would write articles about a local team that has the best record in the majors and is playing exciting baseball. Maybe it should devote more column inches to the other local team, the one that's barely above .500, the one that doesn't win consistently and blames Steve Stone, Chip Caray, the wind, the fans, their beloved ballpark and injuries for it. That would make for much more interesting press.

As for a "conversion campaign," coming from a lifelong Sox fan that really isn't necessary. If a citywide poll were taken today about baseball fans' allegiance, the vote could go either way on the more popular team, once you take out the ballpark issue and like/dislike of the team owners.

The Racehorse
06-04-2005, 11:44 AM

Cut it back, Sox-une

Brendan Tripp

May 28, 2005

Brendan Tripp is a insufferable snob.

Jurr
06-04-2005, 12:16 PM
Brendan Tripp is an insufferable poet.