PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Sox vs Rangers Postgame thread 05-27-05

MRKARNO
05-27-2005, 10:46 PM
Rant 'n Rave here

CHISOXFAN13
05-27-2005, 10:48 PM
Very similar to Monday night's game in Anaheim.

Here's hoping the result in the next two games is the same as it was there.

chisoxfanatic
05-27-2005, 10:48 PM
Before you go accusing me of doing so, in no way am I lumping Ozzie in the same boat as Jerry Manual; however, when I saw tonight's lineup, I was a little perplexed and didn't feel very good going into this game.

Two big mistakes were made in the lineup that should not have been made. In no way should the guy who's struggling the most (Juan Uribe) to get on base be put at #2 on the lineup. I would've put Willie Harris at the #2, providing for much speed at the top, which is the case when Podsednik and Iguchi are in the lineup. With the way he's batting right now, Uribe deserves to hit nothing higher than the 9th spot in the batting order.

The second mistake is that Everett, who has been scuffling himself greatly lately, should not have been put in one of the most critical spots in the lineup (#3). You want someone there who can get on base for your clean-up hitter, not someone who's a strikeout liability. Right now, Everett shouldn't bat any higher than #6 or #7, moving Rowand, a more well-rounded hitter at this moment, up to the #3.

One minor alteration I would've made to the starting lineup is batting Ozuna 8th. There is no reason that someone who has offensively produced most of the times he has been called upon should bat last.

MRKARNO
05-27-2005, 10:51 PM
This was the one game in which we didnt have the pitching matchup in our favor. Tomorrow we have Garland and the next day we have Buehrle. They go against Chan Ho and Drese. I think we can still pull out a series win.

However, I would be lying if I told you that I was not concerned how the Sox are 6-7 in their last 13 games...

Rocklive99
05-27-2005, 10:52 PM
That was just poor managing by Ozzie IMO (not this game, but road trip). I said it during the Flub series, I'd rather have Garland start against them on regular rest, and every was all up in arms saying they wouldn't want McCarthy facing the Angels (whose offense has sucked with Vlad, and then they lose him), but this is what happens when he faces redhot Texas. Just seems like not putting the team in the best chance to win by not trying to minimize the rookie replacement's starts. Whatever, nothing you can do now, get em tomorow.

Also, I though Duff did a nice job

Chisox003
05-27-2005, 10:53 PM
:chunks

chisoxfanatic
05-27-2005, 10:54 PM
I've added my two cents about the lineup in another thread.

I'm not trying to make an excuse for this loss, but instead a reason. And, that's the fact that the Sox didn't even get to their hotels until around 5 o'clock this morning! Most teams allow for a day game on get-away day, but Anaheim was rather rude in that regard...Yea, cater to "fans" who get to the game in the 3rd and leave in the 7th anyways...

The Sox looked dead tired out there at the get-go.

owensmouth
05-27-2005, 10:55 PM
Before you go accusing me of doing so, in no way am I lumping Ozzie in the same boat as Jerry Manual; however, when I saw tonight's lineup, I was a little perplexed and didn't feel very good going into this game.

Two big mistakes were made in the lineup that should not have been made. In no way should the guy who's struggling the most (Juan Uribe) to get on base be put at #2 on the lineup. I would've put Willie Harris at the #2, providing for much speed at the top, which is the case when Podsednik and Iguchi are in the lineup. With the way he's batting right now, Uribe deserves to hit nothing higher than the 9th spot in the batting order.

The second mistake is that Everett, who has been scuffling himself greatly lately, should not have been put in one of the most critical spots in the lineup (#3). You want someone there who can get on base for your clean-up hitter, not someone who's a strikeout liability. Right now, Everett shouldn't bat any higher than #6 or #7, moving Rowand, a more well-rounded hitter at this moment, up to the #3.

One minor alteration I would've made to the starting lineup is batting Ozuna 8th. There is no reason that someone who has offensively produced most of the times he has been called upon should bat last.I'm not disagreeing with you on your points. What I noticed was that Ozzie was attempting to put lefty/righty/lefty/righty through the lineup. Also, I think he was trying to get some hitting out of the 8 and 9 hitters to try and carry them over to the top of the lineup.

JB98
05-27-2005, 10:57 PM
This was the one game in which we didnt have the pitching matchup in our favor. Tomorrow we have Garland and the next day we have Buehrle. They go against Chan Ho and Drese. I think we can still pull out a series win.

However, I would be lying if I told you that I was not concerned how the Sox are 6-7 in their last 13 games...

I'm not concerned about that at all. With last year's pitching staff, we would probably be 4-9 or 3-10 in the last 13 games. Our offense is just brutal right now, but we're managing to tread water. That's a good sign. Play .500 when you're struggling, and you're doing well. Especially on the road. You can't play .700 ball all year.

whitesoxfan
05-27-2005, 10:58 PM
I'm not worried yet. If our offense has terrible days against Chan Ho and Drese, then we may have some problems. I don't think that's going to happen though. 2 outta 3 still seems very likely.

PAPChiSox729
05-27-2005, 11:03 PM
I'm not worried yet. If our offense has terrible days against Chan Ho and Drese, then we may have some problems. I don't think that's going to happen though. 2 outta 3 still seems very likely.

I'm not too nervous. We have our two best guys goin' the next two days and the offense is facing Chan Ho Park. The only thing that could make this better is if the Rangers trades lineups with the Royals for the next two games. We will be fine...

compy75
05-27-2005, 11:03 PM
In terms of the lineup, I am sure not sure where to look. As of today, more than half our regular lineup is hitting BELOW .240. It's time to acknowledge that we really do have an anemic offense...

JB98
05-27-2005, 11:04 PM
I've added my two cents about the lineup in another thread.

I'm not trying to make an excuse for this loss, but instead a reason. And, that's the fact that the Sox didn't even get to their hotels until around 5 o'clock this morning! Most teams allow for a day game on get-away day, but Anaheim was rather rude in that regard...Yea, cater to "fans" who get to the game in the 3rd and leave in the 7th anyways...

The Sox looked dead tired out there at the get-go.

Well, if that's the case, Anaheim is competing with Texas for the division lead. The Angels' insistence on playing a night game just handed the Rangers an easy win.

Gym Shoe
05-27-2005, 11:09 PM
And be honest ... going into the Cubs series, we were the better team, obviously. But look how much we've been winning (formerly over .700) --- and that wasn't going to last. We outclassed the Cubs at their place, but easily could have lost 2 of those. We're just due to regress a bit, esp. on a long road trip. If we can save our pathetic offense right now by getting these great performances pitching and still maintain .500 on the road, let's take it. Otherwise, we've actually done quite well. We had a chance to take 3 of 4 last night, and tonight it was obvious (late arrival, never seen Young, McCarthy questionable, ozuna and harris in, no iguchi [the only guy hitting]) that we were going to have a helluva time. That said, we look real good for the next two. And I say we win both. Ozzie is testing a bit, being a little risky with all this substitute player stuff and resting of guys too. It might pay off though, if this pitching continues. Go Sox!

Gym

nedlug
05-27-2005, 11:12 PM

This is why I'm worried about the Sox's offense - they need to start producing against good pitchers. This is who they'll be facing in the post-season (Yes, I'm thinking way ahead). This team desperately needs a great hitter (not just a big power guy).

Your thoughts...

Viva Medias B's
05-27-2005, 11:12 PM
I did not see the game tonight because of work, which was a good thing evidently. While I am not necessarily worried about how we have been playing ─ it's hard complain about your ballclub when it has a .673 winning percentage ─ it is the fact that the Minnesota Twins continue to be on our tails that worries me. It's as if we have to continue playing at this incredible clip in order to preserve our divisional lead because Minnesota won't go away.

DickAllen72
05-27-2005, 11:15 PM
Where are all the dancing bananas now from the people who posted them when the news that El Duque was going on the DL and BMac was coming up first broke?

BMac's going to have a great future here but his time is not now. Send him down tomorrow and bring Frank up to play Monday. When we activate Duque Wednesday, cut Timo.

PS. Darn Twins! :angry:

chisoxfanatic
05-27-2005, 11:16 PM
This is why I'm worried about the Sox's offense - they need to start producing against good pitchers. This is who they'll be facing in the post-season (Yes, I'm thinking way ahead). This team desperately needs a great hitter (not just a big power guy).

Your thoughts...

Which will come when Frank Thomas joins the team. He is the most feared Sox hitter in the era and will get on for Konerko and Pierzynski. The keys to this offense will be for Podsednik and Iguchi to exercise Ozzieball, Thomas to get them over, and Konerko/Pierzynski to put the final touches on a knock-out punch.

CubsfansareDRUNK
05-27-2005, 11:18 PM
whats the opposite of a trifecta?

BlackAndWhite
05-27-2005, 11:20 PM
A tri****ta. :D:

chisoxfanatic
05-27-2005, 11:20 PM

A Trisuckta.

ChiSoxGirl
05-27-2005, 11:22 PM

One minor alteration I would've made to the starting lineup is batting Ozuna 8th. There is no reason that someone who has offensively produced most of the times he has been called upon should bat last.

I couldn't agree more, chisoxfanatic! When I heard Ed Farmer run down the lineup before the game, I scratched my head, wondering why the hell Ozzie was batting a guy who's now 4-for-46 in the 2-hole, and Crazy Carl- the strikeout king- in the 3-spot! The way Ozuna has been swinging the bat recently- and all season for that matter- he deserved way better than the 9-slot in the lineup.

Other than Konerko, who's now 11 for his last 31, the offense is in a major slumber right now and so needs a veteran, experienced jolt known as Frank Thomas. In the last 3 games, the Sox haven't managed to score more than 2 runs, which is not going to win you games against a homerun hitting team like Texas.

As far as the pitching is concerned, McCarthy did a somewhat decent job, other than the HRs, which of course accounted for all of Texas' runs. I about had a heart attack when I heard that Vizzzz the Fizzzz was warming in the bullpen at one point. That guy SO needs to be sent to Charlotte! I understand Ozzie's wanting to get his confidence back and everything, but at the same time, he can't keep risking games.

All we can do with this one is transfer it to the L column, swallow it, and look forward to tomorrow's game on Fox with 8-1 Garland on the mound. I'm SO glad Garland and Buehrls are pitching the last two games of the series!

chisoxfanatic
05-27-2005, 11:30 PM
I about had a heart attack when I heard that Vizzzz the Fizzzz was warming in the bullpen at one point. That guy SO needs to be sent to Charlotte! I understand Ozzie's wanting to get his confidence back and everything, but at the same time, he can't keep risking games!

The problem with that is that [I think] Vizcaino would have to clear waivers before being sent down to the minors. He can be a good relief pitcher if he works more with Coop and Kusyner and is put in a bases-empty down-or-up-by-at-least-a-grand-slam situation where he feels virtually no pressure.

JB98
05-27-2005, 11:30 PM
I couldn't agree more, chisoxfanatic! When I heard Ed Farmer run down the lineup before the game, I scratched my head, wondering why the hell Ozzie was batting a guy who's now 4-for-46 in the 2-hole, and Crazy Carl- the strikeout king- in the 3-spot! The way Ozuna has been swinging the bat recently- and all season for that matter- he deserved way better than the 9-slot in the lineup.

Other than Konerko, who's now 11 for his last 31, the offense is in a major slumber right now and so needs a veteran, experienced jolt known as Frank Thomas. In the last 3 games, the Sox haven't managed to score more than 2 runs, which is not going to win you games against a homerun hitting team like Texas.

As far as the pitching is concerned, McCarthy did a somewhat decent job, other than the HRs, which of course accounted for all of Texas' runs. I about had a heart attack when I heard that Vizzzz the Fizzzz was warming in the bullpen at one point. That guy SO needs to be sent to Charlotte! I understand Ozzie's wanting to get his confidence back and everything, but at the same time, he can't keep risking games.

All we can do with this one is transfer it to the L column, swallow it, and look forward to tomorrow's game on Fox with 8-1 Garland on the mound. I'm SO glad Garland and Buehrls are pitching the last two games of the series!

Ozzie didn't bring Vizcaino in until Texas was ahead 6-0. No risk there. We were never in jeopardy of winning this game. To be honest, I thought McCarthy sucked: Four HRs in five innings. He'll have better days....

Fake Chet Lemon
05-27-2005, 11:31 PM
I applaud Ozzie for trying SOMETHING to get Uribe going and trying him in the 2 slot. He is our only true SS, so geting him going is not optional it's a must. DON'T WORRY 1% about losing this one. The travel was brutal, we had a rookie starter going, Texas is a hot team and we were in their house. If we win 1 of the next 2 and finish a tough road trip 5-5 we should be OK with that. We'll beat all three of these teams in our house.

DickAllen72
05-27-2005, 11:32 PM
On the positive side, another good inning by Shingo. He walked a guy that should have been called a strike out, gave up a little flare single on a good pitch, and got out of the trouble with no runs scored.

hose
05-27-2005, 11:33 PM
I expected the Sox to be a little flat after last night's game and then flying all night into Texas. Plus the Rangers are hot .

Garland and Burls will cool them off and the Sox take 2 out 3.

On the upside the Sox missed Kenny Rogers for the second time this year.

Chicago83
05-27-2005, 11:35 PM

It's hard to defend Ozzie's lineup from tonights game. I know he was just trying to let Juan see some good pitches at the #2 spot but putting Everett behind him wasn't going to help him much. I agree that Rowand should have been at the 3 spot, even though I would rather see him batting 5th or 6th. The problem with this team is that we do not have a quality #3 hitter. Now if Frank can come back and be the old Frank then we'll have one. But if not then we need to trade for a quality hitter, this team has such a great pitching staff we can't let bad hitting waste it. We need a 3 guy so we can bat Konerko, Thomas/Everett, Rowand, then Dye in the 4-7 spots.

I don't know who is going to be out there, I know there has been a lot of Chavez rumors, but Kenny needs to make the move and I have no reason to believe he won't. The way this year is going I wouldn't mind seeing him give up a good prospect for that much needed bat, although if we trade McCarthy we better get someting real good in return. Chavez is doing worse than Crede, so I don't know if we should risk it with him, but getting a third basemen is definetly what we need. What other 3B sluggers are out there on teams who may be selling??

PAPChiSox729
05-27-2005, 11:36 PM
On the positive side, another good inning by Shingo. He walked a guy that should have been called a strike out, gave up a little flare single on a good pitch, and got out of the trouble with no runs scored.

Yeah, his May is around 1.40. Hopefully he is getting things turned around.

Fake Chet Lemon
05-27-2005, 11:37 PM

Your thoughts...

But that's why they are considered good pitchers......teams generally don't produce against them. To say we "desperately" need a good hitter is an OVERstatement. Sure it would be nice, but we are soon adding the best hitter in White Sox history to a team with the best record in baseball. If Kansas City Royal fans surf our site, they gotta be laughing at us at times. We aren't desperate, the teams chasing us are.

Foulke You
05-27-2005, 11:37 PM
Random Thoughts on the game:

I too was not happy with the Manuel-esque lineup today. Especially since Iguchi was not in the lineup. When your offense is struggling, you should not bench your most consistent hitter in the lineup. Give Iguchi a rest when some of the other bats have come alive.

Uribe looks absolutely sick at the plate right now. I think Ozuna needs to play a couple games at SS and hopefully ease Uribe back into the lineup when we return to Chicago.

Jermaine Dye is just snake bit right now. He smashed two frozen ropes that Hidalgo robbed him of twice. The poor guy can't catch a break. Dye and Konerko have to be leading the team in hard smash line drive outs.

Brandon McCarthy learned that mistakes in the major leagues get hit a long way. I think in the long run, this game might be good for him as it taught him a lesson. I also hope this ends the nonsense talk of putting El Duque in the bullpen and leaving McCarthy in the rotation or vice versa. Brandon needs to start every 5 days in Charlotte. End of story.

Someone needs to knock Soriano on his ass tomorrow. I'm sick of him leaning out over the plate and crushing those outside corner pitches. He looks WAY too comfortable up there.

DickAllen72
05-27-2005, 11:40 PM
Willie did a nice job filling in for Tadahito today. He played great defense at second base and went 2-4 with a bunt single for the first Sox hit of the game and an RBI single in the ninth.

Good job, Willie.

chisoxfanatic
05-27-2005, 11:41 PM
Chavez is doing worse than Crede, so I don't know if we should risk it with him, but getting a third basemen is definetly what we need. What other 3B sluggers are out there on teams who may be selling??

The only redeeming qualities of both Crede and Uribe are their defensive tactics. Though they are not gold glovers, they are right up there with the best of them when it comes to 5-6 combinations.

The only problem here is that they seem to feed off of each other offensively, both hitting slumps (and LONG slumps, might I add) at the exact same time, which is something we do not need back-to-back in any place on our lineup. It would help a little if just one of those two bats would wake up. That would alleviate some of the offensive sucktitude this lineup has had at the bottom for the most recent past.

DickAllen72
05-27-2005, 11:45 PM
Brandon McCarthy learned that mistakes in the major leagues get hit a long way. I think in the long run, this game might be good for him as it taught him a lesson.

I think Brandon has been learning the same lesson at the AAA level in Charlotte this year also.

I also hope this ends the nonsense talk of putting El Duque in the bullpen and leaving McCarthy in the rotation or vice versa. Brandon needs to start every 5 days in Charlotte. End of story.

Agreed.

TDog
05-27-2005, 11:48 PM
As far as the pitching is concerned, McCarthy did a somewhat decent job, other than the HRs, which of course accounted for all of Texas' runs. I about had a heart attack when I heard that Vizzzz the Fizzzz was warming in the bullpen at one point. That guy SO needs to be sent to Charlotte! I understand Ozzie's wanting to get his confidence back and everything, but at the same time, he can't keep risking games...

Because I was at work when the game was played, I didn't see it. But it sounds like Ozzie should have brought Viz in for BMac earlier.

Chicago83
05-27-2005, 11:53 PM
The only redeeming qualities of both Crede and Uribe are their defensive tactics. Though they are not gold glovers, they are right up there with the best of them when it comes to 5-6 combinations.

The only problem here is that they seem to feed off of each other offensively, both hitting slumps (and LONG slumps, might I add) at the exact same time, which is something we do not need back-to-back in any place on our lineup. It would help a little if just one of those two bats would wake up. That would alleviate some of the offensive sucktitude this lineup has had at the bottom for the most recent past.

I was looking around the teams that may be selling and found two possible upgrades at 3B. Morgan Ensberg of the Astros and Rob Mackowiak of the Pirates. Both are hitting well, especially Ensberg but Mackowiak is from Oak Lawn. I know that Kenny is going to do something, hopefully it will be a big move. This team really has something going here and getting that one good bat could start something great.

Fake Chet Lemon
05-27-2005, 11:53 PM
As far as the pitching is concerned, McCarthy did a somewhat decent job, other than the HRs, which of course accounted for all of Texas' runs.

And except for that one "thing", Mrs. Lincoln really did enjoy that play.

Thanks for keeping spot warm BM, but Orlando kindly requests that you step the Hell off the mound. This kid will be something special, but continue to develop in the minors. We ain't the Royals.

JB98
05-27-2005, 11:58 PM
I was looking around the teams that may be selling and found two possible upgrades at 3B. Morgan Ensberg of the Astros and Rob Mackowiak of the Pirates. Both are hitting well, especially Ensberg but Mackowiak is from Oak Lawn. I know that Kenny is going to do something, hopefully it will be a big move. This team really has something going here and getting that one good bat could start something great.

Mackowiak is a huge downgrade defensively. That might offset the contributions he makes with his bat.

ma-gaga
05-28-2005, 12:01 AM
Most teams allow for a day game on get-away day, but Anaheim was rather rude in that regard...

Question; Where did you hear this? Who mentioned this??

I've seen this on the site a couple of times today and was wondering where this kind of stuff comes from.

chisoxfanatic
05-28-2005, 12:02 AM
Question; Where did you hear this? Who mentioned this?

DJ last night specifically stated that Anaheim refuses to play day games on weekdays.

Cubbiesuck13
05-28-2005, 12:08 AM

I hope the big move is trading one of our bench players to Charlotte for F. Thomas. I hear he used to be good.

Frater Perdurabo
05-28-2005, 12:17 AM
DJ last night specifically stated that Anaheim refuses to play day games on weekdays.

Well, then the Angels must be Twins and Orioles fans, because both teams get to play daytime weekday games on getaway days this season before traveling to another city. This is the kind of instance where MLB needs to step in and mandate a day game for the Angels in these instances, for the good of the game as a whole.

It is in the best interests of MLB that all teams are at their best as often as possible. They are trying to market the game. Don't the want the best product on the field every day?

Rocklive99
05-28-2005, 12:28 AM
Question; Where did you hear this? Who mentioned this??

I've seen this on the site a couple of times today and was wondering where this kind of stuff comes from.

I've heard it all day, combination of here, DJ, sports radio, and they keep talking about how they got in around 4 am. Given that, the offense wasn't as bad as expected, considering the lineup and a pitcher getting ahead quickly and getting calls. They matched Texas with hits, except they didn't leave the park.

BMac, on the other ahead, flew ahead of the team, so he was just bad, no excuse on getting in this morning

ma-gaga
05-28-2005, 12:31 AM
I've heard it all day, combination of here, DJ, sports radio, and they keep talking about how they got in around 4 am. Given that, the offense wasn't as bad as expected, considering the lineup and a pitcher getting ahead quickly and getting calls. They matched Texas with hits, except they didn't leave the park.

BMac, on the other ahead, flew ahead of the team, so he was just bad, no excuse on getting in this morning

ok. It really seems like a built-in excuse was manufactured and I was wondering WHO is responsible.

I don't have access to the talk radio stuff or even the game feeds, but I see it here multiple times from multiple users, so I know someone is feeding the ideas into the system.

Thanks.

TDog
05-28-2005, 12:35 AM

That must be a policy with their fan-friendly LA-centric owner. I have been to Thursday afternoon games with the Sox in Anaheim in the past.

Rocklive99
05-28-2005, 12:47 AM
Actually, specifically, I think it was the Sox travel guy in the booth with DJ who said they don't do day games during the week.

tstrike2000
05-28-2005, 12:59 AM

With tonight's lineup and a great hitting team like Texas at home against McCarthy, it just seemed like we had no chance before the game even started. When I then heard the Sox had to catch the red eye out of Anaheim and didn't get to team hotel until 4:30 a.m. I really knew we had no chance. I love the braintrusts who organized that scheduling decision.

Cubbiesuck13
05-28-2005, 01:04 AM
With tonight's lineup and a great hitting team like Texas at home against McCarthy, it just seemed like we had no chance before the game even started. When I then heard the Sox had to catch the red eye out of Anaheim and didn't get to team hotel until 4:30 a.m. I really knew we had no chance. I love the braintrusts who organized that scheduling decision.

It's the traveling secretary's fault. Now that is a new one.

Cubbiesuck13
05-28-2005, 01:07 AM
It's hard to defend Ozzie's lineup from tonights game.

I will give it a shot: The bench players he started in had three hits tonight and one of them drove in half the runs.

JB98
05-28-2005, 01:10 AM
Let's stop whining about travel and scheduling. Every team goes through it at some point in the season. No excuses. We got whooped tonight.

Lip Man 1
05-28-2005, 01:49 AM
Just a few impressions...

It's regretable that one of the best starts in the 105 year history of the franchise hasn't been able to net them an eight or nine game lead in the division. Typical Sox luck.

It's a moot point now but it seemed to me that the Rangers were sitting on McCarthy's breaking stuff (slider?). Maybe he was tipping something, I don't know but when he threw it, they hammered it.

Of more concern is that for the second time in five days, the Sox were lifeless against a no-name pitcher with very little track record. (It should be noted in fairness, that whoever figured out this road trip needs to be strung up by their intestines.) Frank Thomas can't arrive fast enough in my opinion.

This has been a difficult road trip to be sure. The Cubs were an emotional drain, then they had to go to the Anaheim House Of Horrors, now the Texas heat with a 5 AM arrival. But it's also a fact that the Twins aren't going anywhere and are probably noting that the Sox have lost 4 of 6 and are 9 and 9 in their last 18 games. The Sox simply can not afford to tank the final two games and have to come back home to face the Angels again. Considering everything I'd be satisfied with a .500 road trip.

Go get em' Garland and Buehrle.

Lip

seanpmurphy
05-28-2005, 01:56 AM
Let's stop whining about travel and scheduling. Every team goes through it at some point in the season. No excuses. We got whooped tonight.

Are you crying? There's no crying in baseball!

Thank you JB for saying what I've been thinking this entire thread. A team that searches for excuses as to why it didn't win ends up as the cubs. McCarthy, offensive line-ups, red-eye flights. When the posters on these boards become MLB managers, I will listen to their opinions about line-ups. Also, last time I checked travelling was part of the job. Players deal with it.

No more :whiner: We lost. Let's move on.

owensmouth
05-28-2005, 02:01 AM
Well, then the Angels must be Twins and Orioles fans, because both teams get to play daytime weekday games on getaway days this season before traveling to another city. This is the kind of instance where MLB needs to step in and mandate a day game for the Angels in these instances, for the good of the game as a whole.

It is in the best interests of MLB that all teams are at their best as often as possible. They are trying to market the game. Don't the want the best product on the field every day?No, the Angels want 40,000 fannies in their seats

Dan H
05-28-2005, 07:06 AM
We all had to know that the team was going to tail off some. No one plays at a .700 clip all season. And while I was glad to see the team shift away from being a homer happy club, I have always been concerned about this offense. I hope Thomas can inject something in this lineup, but he is now 37 and coming off a serious injury. I hope they don't bring him up to soon. Only a ready and healthy Frank Thomas is going to help.

voodoochile
05-28-2005, 08:07 AM
ok. It really seems like a built-in excuse was manufactured and I was wondering WHO is responsible.

I don't have access to the talk radio stuff or even the game feeds, but I see it here multiple times from multiple users, so I know someone is feeding the ideas into the system.

Thanks.

Start times are generally left up to the home team. The Sox have ended up playing night games on getaway days in Annaheim at least the last two years. That makes it tough to fly to a CDT city and play a game the next day.

Most teams schedule day games on getaway days. West coast teams have it easier in general, because if they are playing a night game in Chicago and have to fly home, they make up most of the flight time with a favorable time change. Of course it works in the reverse for them after they play at home and have to fly East.

Personally, I think MLB should mandate earlier starts on getaway days. The Angels could start final games of a series at 5:00 and give both themselves and their opponents a break without costing themselves much in terms of attendance, IMO.

But anyone who thinks landing at 4AM and having to play at 7PM doesn't make a difference in terms of quality of play is deluding themselves...

jdm2662
05-28-2005, 09:34 AM
When I still listened to Mike Murphy's show in the morning, he had talked about if a travel time for a team was over two hours, the home team has to schedule a home game. I do not have any written proof of this. My only issue with travel, if its a rule, you have to abide by it. I'm not too concerned of the player's sleep, etc as we all have late nights. My problem is, if this is indeed a rule, it should be followed.

As for the game, I figured they would lose considering the circumstances. Let's get them the next two games and come home.
________
Creampie german (http://www.****tube.com/categories/458/german/videos/1)

Frater Perdurabo
05-28-2005, 11:13 AM
Personally, I think MLB should mandate earlier starts on getaway days. The Angels could start final games of a series at 5:00 and give both themselves and their opponents a break without costing themselves much in terms of attendance, IMO.

But anyone who thinks landing at 4AM and having to play at 7PM doesn't make a difference in terms of quality of play is deluding themselves...

That's all I'm saying. This isn't an "anti-Sox conspiracy" issue. It's an MLB issue that the toothless "commissioner" has not addressed.

bluestar
05-28-2005, 12:24 PM
I don't mean to make excuses when the Sox lose, and I don't think the timing is completely to blame for the way the Sox played last night. For that matter, their offense has been pretty anemic lately anyway. It was a recipe for a loss: a mentally and physically fatigued team, a rookie flyball pitcher in a home-run friendly park against one of the most potent offenses in the MLB.

With that said, it isn't like the Angels refuse to play day games during the week. Look at their schedule; they have a day game scheduled in the middle of the week against Minnesota later in the season. Why do the Twins get the benefit of an early getaway and not the Sox? I'm not saying it is any great conspiracy or anything, but it is strange and it isn't fair.

I agree that the league should institute a rule that forces earlier game times to accomodate team travel.

hawkjt
05-28-2005, 12:36 PM
I definitely am going to let the Angels know about it next week when they are in by screaming at them at the top of my lungs - this really hisses me off.

Hangar18
05-28-2005, 01:18 PM
In terms of the lineup, I am sure not sure where to look. As of today, more than half our regular lineup is hitting BELOW .240. It's time to acknowledge that we really do have an anemic offense...

Because we used to have a pretty good offense, which we exchanged
for a pretty good pitching staff. Unfortuneately, good pitching vs. good pitching cancels each other out, and were left with good hitting vs bad hitting.
and were 6-7 in our last 13. Not a good feeling right now .......

SSN721
05-28-2005, 01:35 PM
Well as was stated, it seems this game was setup for a loss, I dont mind Ozzie resting some starters after a tough loss then early morning flight. Hopefully it will pay off today and tommorrow. I am very confident in at least getting one game of the next two with Burlymon and Garland going. 5-5 on this type of roadtrip is not bad at all.

Lip Man 1
05-28-2005, 01:49 PM
Voodoo:

It is my understanding (although I could be wrong) that all MLB teams are allowed to check the 'rough' schedule and to voice any and all objections about things before the 'official' version is released.

If this travel situation was an issue I would think the Sox would have objected. The question is, did they?

Lip

Hangar18
05-28-2005, 02:16 PM
Voodoo:

It is my understanding (although I could be wrong) that all MLB teams are allowed to check the 'rough' schedule and to voice any and all objections about things before the 'official' version is released.

If this travel situation was an issue I would think the Sox would have objected. The question is, did they?

Lip

Actually, the visiting team is allowed to "ask" for a travel day game, but it has to be agreed to by the Home team, which in this case was the Angels.
The Angels obviously said no-way. We have to look at it from their point of view. The White Sox are one of the better draws when they visit southern california, so that was a big reason they said NO. SOX saw this game on their schedule a while back, so they shouldve been prepared to sleep on the plane.

Mohoney
05-28-2005, 03:10 PM
Because we used to have a pretty good offense, which we exchanged
for a pretty good pitching staff. Unfortuneately, good pitching vs. good pitching cancels each other out, and were left with good hitting vs bad hitting.
and were 6-7 in our last 13. Not a good feeling right now .......

I would say that the pitching has been much better than "pretty good". I would say "stellar".

Jurr
05-28-2005, 03:21 PM
I will give it a shot: The bench players he started in had three hits tonight and one of them drove in half the runs.
ding ding ding...we have a winner!!!!!

Jurr
05-28-2005, 03:26 PM
One thing that I noticed about the Sox is the fact that they either win or lose in streaks. You never see a solitary win or a solitary loss.

The Sox have not won 1 game and not the next. Every win is followed by at least 1 more.

Since the middle of April, it's been the same with losses. Every loss is followed by another. The only time this didn't work was back at the beginning of the year, when the Sox were going on that weird streak of winning the first two games of a series and losing the last. Hopefully the trend holds on the W side and not the L side. It's a great trend for the "books", if you get my drift.