PDA

View Full Version : Why not draft Jared Weaver???

gosox41
05-27-2005, 05:44 PM
Time to stir the pot for some debate. We all know the Sox have not had the best luck drafting and developing pitchers. And Jared Weaver is a college pitcher who has been very good and may be ready for the majors in a year or 2. I'm fully aware that Boras is his agent.

But I think the Sox should grab him if he's available when the Sox pick (assuming he still remains unsigned and reenters the draft). The Sox should negotiate fairly yet realistically for this guy and put all bias aside against Boras. I'm not saying give him $10 mill, but offer him for then the standad $1.5 million. Remember this is the team that thought Borchard was worth $5.3 mill.

My theory is that Weaver's got to be chomping at the bit to get his career started. As long as the Sox are negotiating in good faith I think Weaver is signable. Does he really want to sit out of pro ballyet another year? I bet you the Sox could get him for about $6-7 mil. I'd rather spend the money on a guy like him (assuming his health hasn't changed) then spend less on a lesser HS pitcher (assuming the Sox decide to go that route).

I know it'll never happen, but it's worth a shot. It may even thaw relations between Boras and the Sox. Worst case is the Sox get to stick it to Boras as Weaver sits out another year.

Bob

MRKARNO
05-27-2005, 05:47 PM
One word:

Boras.

End of story (most likely).

Boras is looking for 10 million and I doubt Weaver will actually settle for less than Borchard money. Who knows? Maybe the Sox will surprise, but if the Angels, a well-to-do organization cannot find common ground with Boras, I'm not sure the White Sox will.

JB98
05-27-2005, 05:47 PM
If we pick a guy who is represented by Boras, that's like throwing away pick. We'll never sign him. That's not the way it should be, but it's the way it is.

DrCrawdad
05-27-2005, 05:52 PM
While it would be a waster of one of the Sox few high draft picks this season, it would be fun just to draft Weaver to make him sweat losing another year.

White Sox Josh
05-27-2005, 05:57 PM
Hmm. I would like the Sox to take SP Mark McCormick out of Baylor.

Cubbiesuck13
05-27-2005, 06:02 PM
I am glad KW does not draft or deal with Boras' players. I hope more GM's start doing the same and are outspoken like KW about it. Sooner or later something will have to give and I bet it will be players like Weaver who decide to go a different route and hire other agents. It's Boras' job to get as much as he can for the player but no one said teams have to even talk to him.

sircaffey1
05-27-2005, 06:41 PM
While it would be a waster of one of the Sox few high draft picks this season, it would be fun just to draft Weaver to make him sweat losing another year.

Whatever team drafts Jared this year has a lot more leverage than the Angels did last year. If JR gave Borchard 5+ mil to sign, I don't think it's completely out of the realm of thiniking that JR/KW might draft Jared if he slips to 15th. Jared could be up with the club in less than 2 seasons.

jabrch
05-27-2005, 06:44 PM
If Weaver is there when we are picking, we should take a crack at him, provided we have the room in the budget to pay him reasonably close to what similar draftees have gotten. I wouldn't shy away just because it is Boras.

owensmouth
05-27-2005, 06:53 PM
There will be no 10 million payment to Weaver and Boras has shown he'll let a kid wait for two years to try and get his money.

The Sox have no second pick and selecting Weaver would be just throwing away this year's top end of the draft.

Hendu
05-27-2005, 07:02 PM
This is one thing that I'm surprised MLB didn't take care of during the last labor negotiations...putting limits on signing bonuses for draft picks. Seems like something the union would go along with (as their constituents don't want unproven kids in essence taking money out of their pockets). Are the agents really that powerful that they can stop a deal on this from being reached?

It's total B.S. that the team with the first over-all pick (usally a small-market team) can't selsct the best player in the draft. Heck, they can't even trade that #1 draft pick. Actually, this ticks me off even more than the weak roids penalties or the Yankees spending 200 mil. Not that those don't tick me off as well (don't even get me started on teams like the Royals and D-Rays pocketing their revenue-sharing money instead of spending it on the team :angry: )

Sorry for the :hijacked:. Back to the issue...I don't think the Sox will draft any kid who wants that big of a signing bonus and I don't blame them, unless it's a sure bet like Ken Griffey Jr or Mark Prior. I don't think Weaver is a sure bet to have an impact in the majors.

jabrch
05-27-2005, 07:06 PM
There will be no 10 million payment to Weaver and Boras has shown he'll let a kid wait for two years to try and get his money.

Who has Boras had sit for 2 years?

A. Cavatica
05-27-2005, 08:15 PM

Yes! I'd be happy to draft him and tender a lowball offer, knowing he'll be forced to sit out another year. It's not like a wasted pick is a big deal in baseball.

If one or two other teams follow our lead, say goodbye to Boras.

buehrle4cy05
05-27-2005, 08:20 PM
I knew this was on the list somewhere...
:borass:

Daver
05-27-2005, 08:34 PM
Who has Boras had sit for 2 years?

A catcher, I don't recall his name off the top of my head, was a Boras client, got drafted high, refused to sign, played JC ball for a year, got drafted high again, and refused to sign again. He was drafted a third time in the 18th round, and promptly fired Boras.

Banix12
05-27-2005, 09:40 PM
This is one thing that I'm surprised MLB didn't take care of during the last labor negotiations...putting limits on signing bonuses for draft picks. Seems like something the union would go along with (as their constituents don't want unproven kids in essence taking money out of their pockets). Are the agents really that powerful that they can stop a deal on this from being reached?

It's total B.S. that the team with the first over-all pick (usally a small-market team) can't selsct the best player in the draft. Heck, they can't even trade that #1 draft pick. Actually, this ticks me off even more than the weak roids penalties or the Yankees spending 200 mil. Not that those don't tick me off as well (don't even get me started on teams like the Royals and D-Rays pocketing their revenue-sharing money instead of spending it on the team :angry: )

Sorry for the :hijacked:. Back to the issue...I don't think the Sox will draft any kid who wants that big of a signing bonus and I don't blame them, unless it's a sure bet like Ken Griffey Jr or Mark Prior. I don't think Weaver is a sure bet to have an impact in the majors.

I'm sure this is on the radar as a change to make in major league baseball, but you have to remember how strong the union is in baseball and how happy baseball was to just get what they could in the last contract, leaving issues like this and the steroid problem off to the side. Right now the biggest worry you have amongst baseball owners appears to be caps on the contracts of the veterans, not so much the rookies.

Certainly there has to be some sort of change in the draft when guys like Boras, as well as other agents I'm sure, appear to have total control over it.

Daver
05-27-2005, 09:47 PM
I'm sure this is on the radar as a change to make in major league baseball, but you have to remember how strong the union is in baseball and how happy baseball was to just get what they could in the last contract, leaving issues like this and the steroid problem off to the side. Right now the biggest worry you have amongst baseball owners appears to be caps on the contracts of the veterans, not so much the rookies.

Certainly there has to be some sort of change in the draft when guys like Boras, as well as other agents I'm sure, appear to have total control over it.

The whole draft was addressed , and changed, in the last CBA. It included the removal of compensorty picks for losing FA's as well as addressing some issues with a world wide draft. The wholesale changes were tabled and returned to the status quo of the previous CBA by mutual agreement because of some differences that were not included in the contract language of the CBA agreed on in 2002. I would hazard a guess that the changes will be a bone of contention in 2007.

ChiSoxRowand
05-27-2005, 10:16 PM
I read something somewhere that said Weaver and/or Drew will probably sign the day before the draft. The Angels and D-Backs have made their final offers it is not likely that they will get a better offer in this years draft.

Lip Man 1
05-28-2005, 12:54 AM
There was a story in one of the Friday newspaper's I think it was the Tribune, exactly on this question.

It quoted the Sox scouting director Dave Wilder (?) as saying that the fact that a kid has Boras as a client does influence the Sox decision.

It then speculated about the relationship, or lack of same between Boras and the Sox, and listed the three Boras clients who the Sox drafted and never signed, Bobby Seay, Bobby Hill and Jeff Weaver.

I would be very shocked if the Sox took one of his clients.

Lip

jabrch
05-28-2005, 01:00 AM
A catcher, I don't recall his name off the top of my head, was a Boras client, got drafted high, refused to sign, played JC ball for a year, got drafted high again, and refused to sign again. He was drafted a third time in the 18th round, and promptly fired Boras.

Fair enough...I am guessing it was someone who, in hindsight, would have been better served by not dicking around for two years and by getting into a system?

In the case of Weaver, he can not go back to college ball, right? He is playing for some Indy league team.

Chisoxfn
05-28-2005, 01:22 AM
Hmm. I would like the Sox to take SP Mark McCormick out of Baylor.
He's very talented, but he won't be on the board when the Sox pick. If he is its going to be because teams fear Boras and the boot they'll have to give up to get him signed. Same with Weaver (I see him getting drafted by one of the New York teams).

Just stay away from Boras. You could get him for 7 mill though. Angels offered 6, Boras originally wouldn't back down from 10 and than they are now about 750K apart but the Angels won't move and the question is whether Boras will budge.

I have heard that Boras is feeling the pressure to get Drew and Weaver signed because if they don't he's worried about the effect it will have on his clients in this years draft (we know Boras already has an effect, but if those two end up not signing, it may have an even larger effect; the thing is Boras is representing quite a few highly rated guys in this years draft, which means the Sox are gonna be in a tight spot cause a lot of guys that would normally be there at 15 are gonna be taken earlier because teams will be passing on the Boras guys).

There is no reason to draft a Boras client unless you can work out a predraft deal with them (and hell is going to freeze over before that happens, LOL). That or if your were drafting Mark Prior.

Chisoxfn
05-28-2005, 01:24 AM
Matt Harrington was another guy. I think he got drafted like 3 times. Originally by the Rockies and than the Pads early on and than again by Tampa (this is off the top of my head in terms of order). The last time he got picked was somewhere around the 10th round or so.

He was originally like 3rd overall by the Rocks (well somewhere in the top 5-10).

jabrch
05-28-2005, 01:40 AM
Some of these guys get drafted when there is no chance they are going to play anyhow. Guys out of HS who clearly are going to school or something...

Has anyone ever been drafted, then played Indy ball somewhere, instead of signing, then get redrafted and been a success?

Fungo
05-28-2005, 08:29 AM
Some of these guys get drafted when there is no chance they are going to play anyhow. Guys out of HS who clearly are going to school or something...

Has anyone ever been drafted, then played Indy ball somewhere, instead of signing, then get redrafted and been a success?If I'm not mistaken, JD Drew played for the St. Paul Saints of the Northern League after the Phillies drafted him and failed to sign him. He was drafted the following year by the Cardinals.

34rancher
05-28-2005, 08:44 AM
I say we draft all of his clients, force them to sit out a year...then draft them again...the only way people will stop signing with him is if he gets them no money. Make it an issue.

White Sox Josh
05-28-2005, 09:45 AM
He's very talented, but he won't be on the board when the Sox pick. If he is its going to be because teams fear Boras and the boot they'll have to give up to get him signed. Same with Weaver (I see him getting drafted by one of the New York teams).

Just stay away from Boras. You could get him for 7 mill though. Angels offered 6, Boras originally wouldn't back down from 10 and than they are now about 750K apart but the Angels won't move and the question is whether Boras will budge.

I have heard that Boras is feeling the pressure to get Drew and Weaver signed because if they don't he's worried about the effect it will have on his clients in this years draft (we know Boras already has an effect, but if those two end up not signing, it may have an even larger effect; the thing is Boras is representing quite a few highly rated guys in this years draft, which means the Sox are gonna be in a tight spot cause a lot of guys that would normally be there at 15 are gonna be taken earlier because teams will be passing on the Boras guys).

There is no reason to draft a Boras client unless you can work out a predraft deal with them (and hell is going to freeze over before that happens, LOL). That or if your were drafting Mark Prior.he's represented by Boras.

Corkinator
05-28-2005, 12:23 PM
If Weaver is there when we are picking, we should take a crack at him, provided we have the room in the budget to pay him reasonably close to what similar draftees have gotten. I wouldn't shy away just because it is Boras.

I was reading the LA Times the other day and the article on Weaver quoted the Angels' GM (Stoneman?) as saying that the final offer made by the team was more than any of the top picks in the draft signed for. I think Boras started at 10 mil, finally came down to 6 mil and the team's top offer is 5.25 mil. I also think the article said that the angels selected Weaver with the 15th pick. Boras is trying to get the Angels to bid against themselves. I'm glad they are holding tough.

chaerulez
05-28-2005, 12:23 PM
If I were Weaver and Drew, I would've fired Boras by now. They've had to sit around for a year, because the agent they have is trying to get teams to overpay for them. And it is possible they could be sitting out another year. This reminds me of Matt Harrington, who turned down 4 million in 2000 and 1 million the next year. He's entered the draft every year after that each by a different team and recently was a 36th round pick of the Yankees in 2004. To my knowledge he never signed with them. He also has a lawsuit against his former agent, claiming its the agents fault for all this. Injuries and lack of development have basically ruined what was a promising career. If I were Weaver and Drew if I'm offered 2-3 million I'd take it, considering they could turn into the next Matt Harrington.

Lip Man 1
05-28-2005, 12:52 PM
34:

Sure let's 'waste' draft picks just to 'prove' a point.

LOL

Lip

TDog
05-28-2005, 02:11 PM
... and listed the three Boras clients who the Sox drafted and never signed, Bobby Seay, Bobby Hill and Jeff Weaver.....

Lip

All highly touted prospects that haven't yet lived up to expectations, by the way. Jeff Weaver should have had a better career, though.

I'll answer the question of the thread with another question. Why don't the Sox draft Ron Schueler's daughter? Same result.

gosox41
05-28-2005, 04:36 PM

Exactly. Like I said in the post, I bet the sox can get Weaver for $6-7 mill. While Weaver is a risk to make the majors, he's less of a risk then a HS pitcher. And his numbers are better then most college pitchers.

And I would love to see Weaver sweat if Boras decides to screw around another year.

Bob

gosox41
05-28-2005, 04:39 PM
I am glad KW does not draft or deal with Boras' players. I hope more GM's start doing the same and are outspoken like KW about it. Sooner or later something will have to give and I bet it will be players like Weaver who decide to go a different route and hire other agents. It's Boras' job to get as much as he can for the player but no one said teams have to even talk to him.

But if the Sox draft Weaver and negotiate fairly and Boras makes him untouchable it would help lower Boras' rep among amateur players. Unless of course the most talented amaeteur players want to risk yet another year (or 2)of free agency to make an extra $2-3 mill.

It would be great to either 1. have Weaver signed or 2. bring down Boras.

Bob

34rancher
05-28-2005, 04:40 PM
34:

Sure let's 'waste' draft picks just to 'prove' a point.

LOL

Lip
At least then we could say we did something with our draft picks. I am still waiting for Borchard to do something.

gosox41
05-28-2005, 04:41 PM

The Sox have no second pick and selecting Weaver would be just throwing away this year's top end of the draft.

If the Sox decide to go the route of drafting another high school pitcher, then I can make the same argument about throwing away another pick in the draft.

Like I said, if the Sox negotiate fairly, I'm willing to bet Weaver tells Boras to let him sign. But waiting another year can be a big risk to Weaver.

Bob

gosox41
05-28-2005, 04:44 PM

While I'm not saying Weaver is as good as Prior (when he's healthy which is a whole other issue) take a look at these numbers:

Weaver-Prior Revisited

by Richard Lederer
How scary are these numbers?

IP H R ER BB K W-L
Prior 138.2 100 32 26 18 202 15-1
Weaver 136.1 76 29 25 19 201 15-1

H/9 BB/9 K/9 K/BB ERA
Prior 6.5 1.2 13.1 11.2 1.69
Weaver 5.0 1.3 13.3 10.6 1.65

I think Weaver has a bright maor league future, which in the case of the Soxcan't hurt.

Bob

gosox41
05-28-2005, 04:48 PM

Was it Varitek? Or there was another guy (from OK State maybe).

Bob

Chisoxfn
05-28-2005, 06:14 PM
But if the Sox draft Weaver and negotiate fairly and Boras makes him untouchable it would help lower Boras' rep among amateur players. Unless of course the most talented amaeteur players want to risk yet another year (or 2)of free agency to make an extra $2-3 mill.

It would be great to either 1. have Weaver signed or 2. bring down Boras.

Bob
And why would the Sox want to draft a guy for the sake of helping out the rest of the major league teams?

They aren't touching a Boras client, book it.

Lip Man 1
05-28-2005, 06:20 PM
Bob:

The 'problem' with your scenario is there are always the Yankees, Mets, Red Sox, Cubs (big spending teams) who the following year will re-draft him and sign him since they don't seem to have the issues with Boras that (correctly or not) the Sox do with Boras.

Therefore the point the Sox are trying to prove is futile.

Lip

jabrch
05-28-2005, 07:26 PM
I was reading the LA Times the other day and the article on Weaver quoted the Angels' GM (Stoneman?) as saying that the final offer made by the team was more than any of the top picks in the draft signed for. I think Boras started at 10 mil, finally came down to 6 mil and the team's top offer is 5.25 mil. I also think the article said that the angels selected Weaver with the 15th pick. Boras is trying to get the Angels to bid against themselves. I'm glad they are holding tough.

Well, if we have 6mm available to spend on our first round pick, and he is there when we are picking, I'd sure as heck consider taking a shot at him. I wouldn't rule it out cuz he's a Boras client, so long as we are willing to pay him what most of the top pitchers to come out of college in the past few years (Prior, Humber, Verlander, Neiman, etc.) have gotten, or in his case even a few bucks more. If we are planning on offering less than what Anaheim is offering, then it is a bad move. If we can up it by 1mm, and get him, and afford it, and still draft out a full board, then why not take a shot at it? With the talent we already have in the minors (McCarthy, Gonzalez, Diaz, Liotta, etc.) it would be nice to add another potential front of the rotation guy.

Chisoxfn
05-29-2005, 03:43 AM
Well, if we have 6mm available to spend on our first round pick, and he is there when we are picking, I'd sure as heck consider taking a shot at him. I wouldn't rule it out cuz he's a Boras client, so long as we are willing to pay him what most of the top pitchers to come out of college in the past few years (Prior, Humber, Verlander, Neiman, etc.) have gotten, or in his case even a few bucks more. If we are planning on offering less than what Anaheim is offering, then it is a bad move. If we can up it by 1mm, and get him, and afford it, and still draft out a full board, then why not take a shot at it? With the talent we already have in the minors (McCarthy, Gonzalez, Diaz, Liotta, etc.) it would be nice to add another potential front of the rotation guy.
If 6 mill is available, you also have to ask yourself this. Would you rather see the Sox draft a guy like Carillo or Bogusevic or Clement who will get roughly a 1.5 singning bonus while spending 4.5 million on a guy at that can come to the Sox at the deadline (4.5 mill prorated would be enough salary to get you a pretty darn good player for the rest of the season..although you'd have to give up prospects)?

Obviously neither are sure things, but considering the Sox have a budget, I'd have to at least think about that because I think the Sox could do just as good of a job spreading out 6 mill (that would go to Weaver) with a guy you could get in a trade or by drafting a few 1st round type of guys that slide into the latter rounds (kind of like the Angels did this past year) and giving them 1st-2nd round bonuses. Basically you could get yourself 3 or 4 1st/2nd round picks, even though the Sox only have 1 selection in the 1st two rounds (By paying guys who slide or are considered tough signs better than slot money in the middle part of the top 10).

Just some things to ponder.

gosox41
05-29-2005, 08:12 AM
And why would the Sox want to draft a guy for the sake of helping out the rest of the major league teams?

They aren't touching a Boras client, book it.

They're not only helping out the rest of the other teams, they're helping themselves. What if the Sox were able to sign Weaver? Would you not like to have him on your team? What if the Sox were able to thaw out relations between them and Boras? What if Boras held Weaver out and it cost him other top ameteur players in the future, thus lowering the price tag on the premium talent and making it more likely for the Sox to draft a top of the line player?

Bob

gosox41
05-29-2005, 08:15 AM
If 6 mill is available, you also have to ask yourself this. Would you rather see the Sox draft a guy like Carillo or Bogusevic or Clement who will get roughly a 1.5 singning bonus while spending 4.5 million on a guy at that can come to the Sox at the deadline (4.5 mill prorated would be enough salary to get you a pretty darn good player for the rest of the season..although you'd have to give up prospects)?

Obviously neither are sure things, but considering the Sox have a budget, I'd have to at least think about that because I think the Sox could do just as good of a job spreading out 6 mill (that would go to Weaver) with a guy you could get in a trade or by drafting a few 1st round type of guys that slide into the latter rounds (kind of like the Angels did this past year) and giving them 1st-2nd round bonuses. Basically you could get yourself 3 or 4 1st/2nd round picks, even though the Sox only have 1 selection in the 1st two rounds (By paying guys who slide or are considered tough signs better than slot money in the middle part of the top 10).

I'm not sure of the details of Weaver's negotiations with the Angels right now. But consider in 2000 the Sox took Borchard and paid him about $1 mill+ a year for 5 years so not all the money is upfront. Prior's contract was right about at the peak of money being thrown around in baseball and he got $10 mill paid out over 4-5 years. ot all this money is coming up front.

Bob

gosox41
05-29-2005, 08:16 AM
Bob:

The 'problem' with your scenario is there are always the Yankees, Mets, Red Sox, Cubs (big spending teams) who the following year will re-draft him and sign him since they don't seem to have the issues with Boras that (correctly or not) the Sox do with Boras.

Therefore the point the Sox are trying to prove is futile.

Lip

Lip,

I also want the Sox to have a top pitching prospect. I want this guy signed because he is a top prospect.

Bob

doublem23
05-29-2005, 08:24 AM
Has anyone ever been drafted, then played Indy ball somewhere, instead of signing, then get redrafted and been a success?

Jeff Weaver, IIRC

jabrch
05-29-2005, 10:30 AM

I agree with you. I do think that money spent on the 2005 season is probably kept separate then money spent on a draft class. I think they budget X$ to draft Y number of players. Spending 6mm on Weaver would probably make it a short or at least a shallow draft.

I think money available to be spent on talent this year, for this season, is different. If the two are at all tied, and I don't know either way, then winning today is much more important than a draft.

jabrch
05-29-2005, 10:30 AM
Jeff Weaver, IIRC

Didn't he return to school? I don't think he sat a year. (but I may be wrong)

owensmouth
05-29-2005, 01:02 PM
Jeff Weaver, IIRCDo you really consider Jeff Weaver a success?

jabrch
05-31-2005, 12:40 AM
Signed...sealed...and delivered.... Weaver is an Angel for a 4mm bonus.

What did Boras get his client? Sounds like LESS than expected.