PDA

View Full Version : Contreras

White Sox Josh
05-27-2005, 05:38 PM
Contreras is the White Sox version of Matt Clement in 04. Contreras has pitched much better than his record indicates yet he has either gotten no run-support, The Bullpen has blown it for him, or he has left a game injured. Contreras could easily have won 5 or 6 games had he gotten any run support. It's sucks because you can't pitch much better than Contreras pitched last night and not get the win.

Infallible
05-27-2005, 05:40 PM
thats why we need to score more runs. Jose' has been doing a good job with exception to the one start.....we just need to give him and Garcia a little more run support to work with.

Chisox003
05-27-2005, 05:41 PM
Contreras is the White Sox version of Matt Clement in 04. Contreras has pitched much better than his record indicates yet he has either gotten no run-support, The Bullpen has blown it for him, or he has left a game injured. Contreras could easily have won 5 or 6 games had he gotten any run support. It's sucks because you can't pitch much better than Contreras pitched last night and not get the win.

I agree, he has turned into a work horse...

Up until the last couple starts, he still really worried me taking the hill....But he dominated last night, and made one really really bad mistake and it cost him and the Sox the ball game....It is ashame that we couldn't score, but the pitching for the Angels was dealing too...

Jose at his best like last night makes this rotation even more frightening...

B Mac tonight against a hot hitting Texas team....Got my fingers crossed

bluestar
05-27-2005, 05:43 PM
B Mac tonight against a hot hitting Texas team....Got my fingers crossed

In Spring Training, McCarthy faced pretty much the entire Rangers lineup that will be starting tonight, and he dominated them. Of course, that was Spring Training, and it also means these guys have seen what McCarthy brings before.

DaleJRFan
05-28-2005, 02:19 AM
In Spring Training, McCarthy faced pretty much the entire Rangers lineup that will be starting tonight, and he dominated them. Of course, that was Spring Training, and it also means these guys have seen what McCarthy brings before.

His second start is ST against the Rangers, they ROCKED him. I am unaware of the lineup from that game, but I recall him giving up a lot of runs on extra base hits and homers.

DaleJRFan
05-28-2005, 02:24 AM
On a seemingly related topic (too lazy too start a thread tonight)... If the bats continue to ZZZZ... how long will KW wait before he does something to shake it up? How long do fans have to "wait for the guys to start hitting" like we have heard? Should Greg Walker dust off his resume??? The last few weeks have been sad, offensively. Lots of great starts wasted by returning 1 or 2 runs.

Uribe - 231 and falling
Dye - 213 up from 190.. YEY!
Everett - 232 and dropping quickly
Rowand - .262, has seemed to have stablized somewhat
Crede - 234 and falling
AJ - 263 and cooling after a hot streak

Am I getting trigger happy, or do I have a right to be worried??

jabrch
05-28-2005, 02:47 AM
If the bats continue to ZZZZ... how long will KW wait before he does something to shake it up?

I'm thinking he ought to acquire one of the greatest hitters of all time...

It just so happens that Frank Thomas is about ready to come off the DL - and is property of the Chicago White Sox!!!!!

Maybe there is a match there?

Cubbiesuck13
05-28-2005, 04:29 AM
I agree with you Jabrch. Lets hope KW doesn't feel the need to make a huge deal. I know he is agressive but I think (hope) part of the reason was because the team wasn't perfoming. It is now and there isn't anyway Frank hurts this team on the field. PK and Dye have been hitting the ball hard according to reports. They will fall in soon.

Banix12
05-28-2005, 04:37 AM
At least if he's being the 05 version of the 04 Matt Clement, it means he has finally solved the problems that plauged the inconsistant 03-04 Jose Contreras.

You can only be encouraged by his performances, hopefully the bats wake up behind him. His control has been so very impressive the last few weeks, he's really been limiting the free passes.

kevingrt
05-28-2005, 09:53 AM
I think Contreras will be fine and the bats will pick him up sooner or later. It seems like every team has one pitcher that the batters just don't score for. Contreras is that for our team, but it hasn't fazed him yet, so that's a positive.

bluestar
05-28-2005, 12:27 PM
His second start is ST against the Rangers, they ROCKED him. I am unaware of the lineup from that game, but I recall him giving up a lot of runs on extra base hits and homers.

Yes, I had forgotten that. I believe that was the first (maybe the only?) bad outing McCarthy has in ST. I know Blalock hit a two or three run HR off McCarthy during that game.

flo-B-flo
05-28-2005, 02:34 PM
I really don't like this feeling that if they score 3 we will struggle to win.:?:

flo-B-flo
05-28-2005, 02:37 PM
Oh and JC piched an awesome game. But when one pitch costs you the game then some asses need to look in the mirror and get in gear.:angry:

TDog
05-28-2005, 03:03 PM
..., The Bullpen has blown it for him, or he has left a game injured. Contreras could easily have won 5 or 6 games had he gotten any run support. ....

The Sox bullpen has only blown five saves up to this point in the season. The only ninth-inning save opportunity lost was in Contreras' first start, but I don't think Contreras is losing a lot of games to because the bullpen can't hold his leads, but you're right about the run support. None of the starters gets great run support.

soxfanreggie
05-28-2005, 03:13 PM
My feelings are that Frank will come in and hopefully hit .270 or above. We can count on him for some real long singles and hopefully some home runs. However, I believe he can be a solid shot in the arm. We need players like Dye and Konerko to be hitting over .250. It will really kill us if they can hit a homer every 3-4 days but not really get on base. Uribe...who knows what to do with him. Inject Willie Harris in the line-up more? I mean, we definitely need to bring a stick into the line-up. Carl Everett needs to start hitting better too. With Dye in right and Thomas coming back, he doesn't have very many positions to play.

jehosaphat
05-28-2005, 04:23 PM
On a seemingly related topic (too lazy too start a thread tonight)... If the bats continue to ZZZZ... how long will KW wait before he does something to shake it up? How long do fans have to "wait for the guys to start hitting" like we have heard? Should Greg Walker dust off his resume??? The last few weeks have been sad, offensively. Lots of great starts wasted by returning 1 or 2 runs.

Uribe - 231 and falling
Dye - 213 up from 190.. YEY!
Everett - 232 and dropping quickly
Rowand - .262, has seemed to have stablized somewhat
Crede - 234 and falling
AJ - 263 and cooling after a hot streak

It's difficult, because we can't trade pitching, and it is not like we have two good hitters at a position so that we can give up one of them. I hope Frank is the answer, but he's getting old and hasn't played in a year. I think it will take awhile for him to get going, and you almost have to give him some time. I hope Ozzie doesn't bring him up and spot start him. Even in the best case scenario it is wishful thinking to expect Frank to produce like he did in the early to mid 90s.

So, what to do? I have no idea. I know everyone and their brother is down on Mags, but in the "what might have been" category, I wish he's never got hurt and I wish he'd signed with the Sox. Leaving aside the fact that if all that would have happened we probably would not have had the money to sign Hernandez, the Sox desparately need a Mags caliber of player batting in the 3rd or 4th spot. Although defense and pitching win championships, it seems like every championship team has at least one big-time, clutch hitter. Guch is the closest that we have, and I don't think that is going to be enough.