PDA

View Full Version : Today in WS history

steranim
05-27-2005, 03:49 PM
1986 -- Joe Cowley of the Chicago White Sox set a major league record by striking out the first seven batters he faced. He only lasted 4 2-3 innings in a 6-3 loss to the Texas Rangers.

1995 -- The White Sox and Tigers set a major league record with 12 homers, and combined for an American League-record 21 extra-base hits in Chicago's 14-12 victory in Detroit.

Just interesting facts.

flo-B-flo
05-28-2005, 01:39 PM
Just interesting facts. Yes interesting indeed. We need a column of these on the home page.

soxfan43
05-28-2005, 05:32 PM
I was visiting some buddies in Detroit during that game, wow. That game was ridiculous.

Lip Man 1
05-28-2005, 06:17 PM
Here's what's funny about the Cowley deal. Sox author / historian Rich Lindberg was sitting at his home when he got a call from the press box in Arlington. The Sox asked him if this was some kind of record!

Rich told me the story and said he remembered kind of shaking his head like 'this is a professional baseball team and they can't even figure out if one of their own is setting a record?'

By the way that was a record for most strike outs to start a game, I think it has since been broken.

Lip

MRKARNO
05-28-2005, 06:42 PM
Here's what's funny about the Cowley deal. Sox author / historian Rich Lindberg was sitting at his home when he got a call from the press box in Arlington. The Sox asked him if this was some kind of record!

Rich told me the story and said he remembered kind of shaking his head like 'this is a professional baseball team and they can't even figure out if one of their own is setting a record?'

By the way that was a record for most strike outs to start a game, I think it has since been broken.

Lip

The record was actually an AL record, not a ML record as the first 9 were struck out in an NL game between Cleveland and NY in 1884.

Lip Man 1
05-28-2005, 10:32 PM
Karno:

I don't know if MLB recognizes any records before the turn of the century. I often hear baseball people saying things like 'a record in the modern era...' seems the rules and such were very, very different before 1900.

Lip