PDA

View Full Version : Prior Leaves Game Hurt

CHISOXFAN13
05-27-2005, 02:25 PM
He just took a nasty line drive off his throwing elbow.

itsnotrequired
05-27-2005, 02:25 PM
Prior just got hit by a batted ball and went down. After a few minutes, they took him out. Anyone see what happened? I'm stuck at work.

ScottsdaleSoxFan
05-27-2005, 02:26 PM
Prior just took a line drive by Brad Hawpe right off his elbow. He left the game in tears. I don't like when people get hurt even if their Cubs, but this is the guy who left the autograph signing for kids and just seems like an ass.

CHISOXFAN13
05-27-2005, 02:27 PM
Prior just got hit by a batted ball and went down. After a few minutes, they took him out. Anyone see what happened? I'm stuck at work.

The ball hit his elbow so hard that it ricocheted in the air to Ramirez at third for an out.

That did not sound good. Take away the allegiances, and this play will make you cringe.

Iwritecode
05-27-2005, 02:28 PM
Wow, three posts with almost the exact same titles in less than 2 minutes. I'm impressed guys. :cool:

bridgeportcopper
05-27-2005, 02:28 PM
That looked bad! He GONE! It's a shame to see a good young pitcher get hurt like that, but he is a cub - so good riddance! I don't see anything keeping us from a sweep now at the end of June.

Rocky Soprano
05-27-2005, 02:29 PM
Cub Player or Not, I hope he is ok. I for one dont wish bad upon ANYONE.

itsnotrequired
05-27-2005, 02:30 PM
The ball hit his elbow so hard that it ricocheted in teh air to Ramirez at third for an out.

That did not sound good. Take away the allegiances, and this play will make you cringe.

Yikes. Sounds nasty and definitely not one of those injuries you like to see, Cub player or otherwise.

You can't help but laugh at the "funny" injuries (i.e. pinched finger in chair, strained elbow surfing the web, etc.) but this one sounds bad.:(:

cheeses_h_rice
That looked bad! He GONE! It's a shame to see a good young pitcher get hurt like that, but he is a cub - so good riddance! I don't see anything keeping us from a sweep now at the end of June.

Utterly classless post.

Well done.

:thumbsup:

Dick Allen
That looked bad! He GONE! It's a shame to see a good young pitcher get hurt like that, but he is a cub - so good riddance! I don't see anything keeping us from a sweep now at the end of June.Don't worry, Dusty will see to it that Prior is back for the Sox.

Baby Fisk
05-27-2005, 02:32 PM
The ball hit his elbow so hard that it ricocheted in teh air to Ramirez at third for an out.

That description alone was cringe-inducing. Ridiculous Cub injuries are good for a laugh (eg. "The Sneeze"), but this sounds unfortunate.

CHISOXFAN13
05-27-2005, 02:32 PM
Don't worry, Dusty will see to it that Prior is back for the Sox.

When you see the shot he took, you might not feel the same. Hopefully it caught him a little bit below the bone in the muscle region, but it sure looks and sounds like it caught him square on the pitching elbow.

Iwritecode
05-27-2005, 02:33 PM
Utterly classless post.

Well done.

I second that. Some things are more important than baseball...

CHISOXFAN13
05-27-2005, 02:34 PM

Well said. We are talking about the livelihood of a human-being here. I wish people had a little more class when discussing injuries that could affect one's career.

Mickster
05-27-2005, 02:35 PM
When you see the shot he took, you might not feel the same. Hopefully it caught him a little bit below the bone in the muscle region, but it sure looks and sounds like it caught him square on the pitching elbow.

There's not much muscle in elbow (even in the "muscle region") so much that I would not be surprised if it were broken. That was an absolute bullet. They played the replay, with sound, and it just sounded horrible!

cheeses_h_rice
05-27-2005, 02:36 PM

How would we Sox fans feel if that was Buehrle or Hermanson and a Cub fan posted something as gloating?

Not happy?

Soxzilla
05-27-2005, 02:37 PM

Well... unless their name is, well, how should I put this?

Well, we will just call him, B. Bonds... NO NO NO, that's just too obvious. How about?

Barry B.

Yes...

Barry B.

Regardless, it sucks that Prior got injured again, all that talent and he spends most of his career on the sidelines so far, that's too bad. (Doesn't matter if he is a Cub or not).

Iwritecode
05-27-2005, 02:40 PM
My elbow is starting to hurt just reading these descriptions... :(:

John Barrett
05-27-2005, 02:41 PM
he'll be out for awhile.... i'll be surprised if he did not get the elbow shattered

patbooyah
05-27-2005, 02:41 PM
Well said. We are talking about the livelihood of a human-being here. I wish people had a little more class when discussing injuries that could affect one's career.

listen- i would never hope for injury on anyone, but prior is not a saint. didn't anyone read the suntimes article where it said that mccarthy had emailed him prior to their start and that prior didn't email him back? also- he did leave the just ducky signing. i'm not celebrating anyone getting hurt, but i'm certainly not going to lose sleep over it. and i'm also not going to feel bad for him. part of the reason he gets paid millions of dollars is that his career exposes him to injury, and it could be over in an instant. thats just what happens when you play this game. there are far greater tragedies for me to be concerned with.

gloating is wrong, but so is over sentimentalizing.

Fredsox
05-27-2005, 02:42 PM
First of all, as do the other posters here, I wish Prior well and hope he is not hurt seriously.

Now for my reaction: These poor guys can't win for losing. I really feel sorry for the cub players. It seems like the team does everything they can to screw them up but the players have such poor dumb luck on top of it. It's really pitiful.

And I'm sure Jim Hendry is glad he hung onto Matt Clement now. Oh. Wait...Never mind.

32nd&Wallace
05-27-2005, 02:43 PM
Please.....there is nothing wrong with being happy that Mark Prior got hit in the elbow with a baseball

If this happened to Johan Santana, I would be happy about it. And so would alot of other people. And if you are a Cardinals and/or Brewers fan, you should be giddy about this. ANd I'll be honest, I am happy about it because Mark Prior is a Cub.
Why shouldn't you feel bad about it - Mark Prior is a millionare few times over, has a hot wife, probably has hot girlfriends, has two beautiful homes in Lincoln Park and San Diego and a B.A. in business from UCLA. The rest of his life is a first class ticket to do anything he wants. Barring a family tragedy or a life threatening disease, these aren't people you weep for.

If this happened to a 19-year-old in Single A who has nothing going for him, I would feel bad. Otherwise, there is no shame in feeling giddy over something like this.

Fenway
05-27-2005, 02:44 PM
hurts to look at photo

http://espn-i.starwave.com/media/apphoto/CXC10105271936.jpeg

Iwritecode
05-27-2005, 02:46 PM
listen- i would never hope for injury on anyone, but prior is not a saint. didn't anyone read the suntimes article where it said that mccarthy had emailed him prior to their start and that prior didn't email him back? also- he did leave the just ducky signing. i'm not celebrating anyone getting hurt, but i'm certainly not going to lose sleep over it. and i'm also not going to feel bad for him. part of the reason he gets paid millions of dollars is that his career exposes him to injury, and it could be over in an instant. thats just what happens when you play this game. there are far greater tragedies for me to be concerned with.

Gloating is exactly what the poster was being called out on.

I can see your points on Prior, but I don't exactly see anyone bursting into tears over him either.

"If you don't have anything nice to say...

We all know the rest.

32nd&Wallace
05-27-2005, 02:48 PM
Well said. We are talking about the livelihood of a human-being here. I wish people had a little more class when discussing injuries that could affect one's career.Someone's livelihood? Are you kidding me? Sorry, once you've cleared a million bucks, you don't have a livelihood anymore.

Fredsox
05-27-2005, 02:48 PM
Please.....there is nothing wrong with being happy that Mark Prior got hit in the elbow with a baseball

If this happened to Johan Santana, I would be happy about it. And so would alot of other people. And if you are a Cardinals and/or Brewers fan, you should be giddy about this. ANd I'll be honest, I am happy about it because Mark Prior is a Cub.
Why shouldn't you feel bad about it - Mark Prior is a millionare few times over, has a hot wife, probably has hot girlfriends, has two beautiful homes in Lincoln Park and San Diego and a B.A. in business from UCLA. The rest of his life is a first class ticket to do anything he wants. Barring a family tragedy or a life threatening disease, these aren't people you weep for.

If this happened to a 19-year-old in Single A who has nothing going for him, I would feel bad. Otherwise, there is no shame in feeling giddy over something like this.

You are dead wrong in every respect. His good fortune in life has nothing to do with this. It's pretty sad if you get giddy off the misfortunes of other people.

maurice
05-27-2005, 02:49 PM
The Trib message board (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-050527cubicleboard,1,5872072.graffitiboard?coll=cs-home-headlines) says Levine reported that his arm is broken and that he's done for the season. Anybody credible hear this?

That's horrible. Good luck, Mark.

Iwritecode
05-27-2005, 02:49 PM

Jealous much?

CHISOXFAN13
05-27-2005, 02:50 PM
Someone's livelihood? Are you kidding me? Sorry, once you've cleared a million bucks, you don't have a livelihood anymore.

Take away what you love most and tell me how happy you are.

There are a hell of a lot more important things than money, pal.

patbooyah
05-27-2005, 02:50 PM
Gloating is exactly what the poster was being called out on.

I can see your points on Prior, but I don't exactly see anyone bursting into tears over him either.

"If you don't have anything nice to say...

We all know the rest.

:cool: we do. dang catholic moms. :cool:

but yeah- maybe that one guy took it too far.

Iwritecode
05-27-2005, 02:51 PM
Someone's livelihood? Are you kidding me? Sorry, once you've cleared a million bucks, you don't have a livelihood anymore.

Right, because money fixes everything.

patbooyah
05-27-2005, 02:52 PM

if baseball is what made prior happiest then i am afraid to see what happens to him, because to me he does not come off as a happy human being. the best example of a respectable cub to me is mark grace. the man was a great player, always seemed happy and his love of the game oozed out of his skin.

prior seems like his fame has gotten to his head.

Baby Fisk
05-27-2005, 02:53 PM
Show some class people.

Iwritecode
The Trib message board (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-050527cubicleboard,1,5872072.graffitiboard?coll=cs-home-headlines) says Levine reported that his arm is broken and that he's done for the season. Anybody credible hear this?

Wow... and I thought the 2001 Sox were devestated with injuries.

Does anyone else think this may be the thing that sends the Cubs spiraling down to the cellar instead of flirting with .500?

Jjav829

So Prior is a bad guy because he didn't want to give McCarthy advise when McCarthy was going to pitch against him? :?:

CHISOXFAN13
05-27-2005, 02:55 PM
if baseball is what made prior happiest then i am afraid to see what happens to him, because to me he does not come off as a happy human being. the best example of a respectable cub to me is mark grace. the man was a great player, always seemed happy and his love of the game oozed out of his skin.

prior seems like his fame has gotten to his head.

Possibly, but my main point was there are things, to some, that are more important than money.

I'm not denying the fact he has had issues before, but skipping out on an autpgraph signing and not replaying to McCarthy before he pitched (Brandon and Prior did converse following the game, according to a radio interview with McCarthy this week) are hardly major sins.

Mickster

I doubt that prior would have even had time to get an x-ray at this point. This is highly suspect (not that his arm isn't actually broken - it was an awful shot).

Palehose Pete
All I know is that somewhere out there, someone is sticking pins a Mark Prior doll. Team allegiances aside, this guy just can't catch a break this season. From the looks of that photo of Prior on the ground, holding his elbow and grimmacing, it looks like that stung like a mofo, to put it mildly.

patbooyah
05-27-2005, 02:56 PM
So Prior is a bad guy because he didn't want to give McCarthy advise when McCarthy was going to pitch against him? :?:

no- prior is a bad guy because mccarthy sent him a note- not looking for advice- and prior didn't write back. just seems classless to me.

but again- i'm not celebrating him being hurt.

32nd&Wallace
05-27-2005, 02:56 PM
You are dead wrong in every respect. His good fortune in life has nothing to do with this. It's pretty sad if you get giddy off the misfortunes of other people.

I'm sorry, did I miss the post that mentioned he was near death or that he will never have normal use of his elbow again? If that's the case, then I will feel bad.

Last time I checked, the worst case scenario was his pitching elbow maybeinjured and he could be out a few weeks or the entire season. If you are a team in the National League that worries about the Cubs being competitive, I'm sorry but this is a blessing.

Barring something life threatening or a tragedy to his family, why should I feel sorry for someone who is adeqautely compensated if they sustain an injury like the one Prior has?

peeonwrigley
05-27-2005, 02:58 PM
I just now saw the replay of it. It looked nasty.

Its too bad because as much as I want the Cub to lose I want it to happen with their full roster.

ChiSoxRowand
I don't wish injury upon anyone, the Cubs were not going anywhere anyways. But let's be honest, I was happy that Vlad got hurt last week so he wouldn't be able to play against the Sox.

Fredsox
I'm sorry, did I miss the post that mentioned he was near death or that he will never have normal use of his elbow again? If that's the case, then I will feel bad.

Last time I checked, the worst case scenario was his pitching elbow maybeinjured and he could be out a few weeks or the entire season. If you are a team in the National League that worries about the Cubs being competitive, I'm sorry but this is a blessing.

Barring something life threatening or a tragedy to his family, why should I feel sorry for someone who is adeqautely compensated if they sustain an injury like the one Prior has?

I'm not going to debate this with you. I just hope that at some point in your life someone else's pain or misery ceases to make you happy.

Sleep520
05-27-2005, 02:59 PM
Well... unless their name is, well, how should I put this?

Well, we will just call him, B. Bonds... NO NO NO, that's just too obvious. How about?

Barry B.

Yes...

Barry B.

Regardless, it sucks that Prior got injured again, all that talent and he spends most of his career on the sidelines so far, that's too bad. (Doesn't matter if he is a Cub or not).

Barry? Did he steal your girlfriend or something?

That's as bad as gloating about the prior injury...

32nd&Wallace
05-27-2005, 03:00 PM

So let's compare Prior's livelihood, making millions of dollars doing something all most all young, American boys dream of doing with a tradesman who makes minimum wage.

patbooyah
05-27-2005, 03:01 PM
So let's compare Prior's livelihood, making millions of dollars doing something all most all young, American boys dream of doing with a tradesman who makes minimum wage.

also- lets consider that prior will certainly get more press and attention than any of the thousands of men overseas who have suffered much worse.

i'm sorry, but i refuse to :whiner: for him, although i do feel bad.

Rocky Soprano
05-27-2005, 03:02 PM

His point was that money doesnt make automatrically make you happy and it does not make everything right.

Mickster
05-27-2005, 03:08 PM
:Trying to lighten things up a bit.......

A post on www.northsidebaseball.com (http://www.northsidebaseball.com/) states:

If I am Carlos right now I go say some prayers that I don't spontaneously combust.

:D: :D: :D: :D:

Iwritecode
05-27-2005, 03:09 PM

I'm sure you felt the exact same way when Thomas and Magglio went down last year as well.

32nd&Wallace
05-27-2005, 03:10 PM
His point was that money doesnt make automatrically make you happy and it does not make everything right.
No it doesn't. But I am not really talking about just money.
First off your livelihood is something you need and rely on to make a living and support their families.
Prior has been blessed with things in life most of us will never even be able to fathom. And I am not talking about just money. This does not threaten his overall physical health, nor his mental health. He will be compensated millions for this injury.
Hopefully Prior realizes that if his "livelihood" should be balanced by the good things in life that have been given to him and realize 99.99999... percent of the world is in a much worse position than he is in.

Iwritecode
05-27-2005, 03:12 PM
also- lets consider that prior will certainly get more press and attention than any of the thousands of men overseas who have suffered much worse.

That's another discussion completely.

Exactly. :D:

voodoochile
05-27-2005, 03:13 PM
No it doesn't. But I am not really talking about just money.
First off your livelihood is something you need and rely on to make a living and support their families.
Prior has been blessed with things in life most of us will never even be able to fathom. And I am not talking about just money. This does not threaten his overall physical health, nor his mental health. He will be compensated millions for this injury.
Hopefully Prior realizes that if his "livelihood" should be balanced by the good things in life that have been given to him and realize 99.99999... percent of the world is in a much worse position than he is in.

And 50 years from now, I am sure he will feel that way. Today it sucks to be him. A little compassion costs us nothing, but the time and energy it takes to hate is immense...

Jjav829
no- prior is a bad guy because mccarthy sent him a note- not looking for advice- and prior didn't write back. just seems classless to me.

but again- i'm not celebrating him being hurt.

So you're assuming he's a bad guy, despite knowing anything about what McCarthy said? What if McCarthy emailed Prior telling him about being called up and said he didn't expect a response but just wanted to let him know what was going on. The story even says that McCarthy "sent him [Prior] a message telling him he knew he couldn't ask for any advice this time."

patbooyah
just to clarify- i feel bad for mark prior.

but i certainly don't feel bad for cubs fans suffering through this season.

32nd&Wallace
05-27-2005, 03:15 PM
I'm sure you felt the exact same way when Thomas and Magglio went down last year as well. I thought "boy this is bad, it puts a stake in the coffin for our chances at getting to the post-season" But I wouldn't take issue with a Twins fan who was happy about it.
And I felt even less sorry for Magglio when he turned down JR's contract offer after that injury.

patbooyah
So you're assuming he's a bad guy, despite knowing anything about what McCarthy said? What if McCarthy emailed Prior telling him about being called up and said he didn't expect a response but just wanted to let him know what was going on. The story even says that McCarthy "sent him [Prior] a message telling him he knew he couldn't ask for any advice this time."

i am making that assumption based on the signing story, the mccarthy story, a personal story, and a story i heard from someone who plays/has played in the big leagues with him.

based on my information, its a safe assumption to make.

cubhater
Wow, three posts with almost the exact same titles in less than 2 minutes. I'm impressed guys. :cool:

We're almost at a post a minute for the first hours since the thread opened.

At least the Cubs can't blame this on the 538 pitches he threw at us Sunday. Or can they?:cool:

Jjav829
05-27-2005, 03:16 PM

That's just it though. Nobody is saying you have to cry for the guy or lose sleep over his injury or pray for his health. You could be indifferent to the whole thing. But that doesn't mean you should be a jackass about it and that's what the post that ignited this conversation conveyed.

32nd&Wallace
05-27-2005, 03:17 PM
And 50 years from now, I am sure he will feel that way. Today it sucks to be him. A little compassion costs us nothing, but the time and energy it takes to hate is immense...You're probably right. I do prefer Prior out of really anyone on that roster. I was impressed when he went back to USC and got his degree.

patbooyah
05-27-2005, 03:18 PM
That's just it though. Nobody is saying you have to cry for the guy or lose sleep over his injury or pray for his health. You could be indifferent to the whole thing. But that doesn't mean you should be a jackass about it and that's what the post that ignited this conversation conveyed.

i was never a jackass. i just overreacted. and became defensive. but if you read my posts you'll see that while i don't really respect prior, i still feel bad for him.

Jjav829
05-27-2005, 03:18 PM
i was never a jackass. i just overreacted. and became defensive. but if you read my posts you'll see that while i don't really respect prior, i still feel bad for him.
I wasn't talking about you. Sorry for the lack of clarity. It was a different poster.

patbooyah
05-27-2005, 03:19 PM
I wasn't talking about you. Sorry for the lack of clarity. It was a different poster.

if you were here i'd hug you.

DumpJerry
05-27-2005, 03:19 PM
Ok, a couple of things. I feel real bad for Prior on this one. He's gotta be in some serious pain unless they have a morphine drip on him that is flowing like Niagara Falls. The Flubs were going nowhere fast this year even with Prior, so I will not get cheery over this.

Let's just hope for the best, after he is a human being before a Flub player (and coulda been a Twin, but that is a different discussion).

BTW, reading the description of the shot gave me flashbacks to Wilbur Wood (a/k/a the "Real Wood") taking that line shot off his kneecap...............

Mickster
05-27-2005, 03:20 PM

:hug: :hug: :hug:

Iwritecode
05-27-2005, 03:23 PM

On one hand, it's hard to feel sorry for Cub fans considering the crap teams that have been put on the field yet they still line up by the millions to hand their money over to the Tribune Co.

On the other hand, there are the die-hards that are pretty much stuck. They've been fans of the team for as long as they can remember and couldn't imagine switching to another team. They hate what the organization is doing but are powerless to stop it.

patbooyah
05-27-2005, 03:24 PM
On one hand, it's hard to feel sorry for Cub fans considering the crap teams that have been put on the field yet they still line up by the millions to hand their money over to the Tribune Co.

On the other hand, there are the die-hards that are pretty much stuck. They've been fans of the team for as long as they can remember and couldn't imagine switching to another team. They hate what the organization is doing but are powerless to stop it.

alright, alright! i feel bad for the die-hards! but not for the iowa-born frat boys! :cool:

itsnotrequired
05-27-2005, 03:26 PM
alright, alright! i feel bad for the die-hards! but not for the iowa-born frat boys! :cool:

Do the frat boys even care?

Iwritecode
05-27-2005, 03:27 PM

This thread is the most fun I've had all day long. :D:

patbooyah

not so long as they have sammy out in right!

Baby Fisk

Ding Ding!

voodoochile

Probably not and they probably hate patbooyah right back...:D:

itsnotrequired
05-27-2005, 03:28 PM

Don't forget No-mah!

patbooyah
05-27-2005, 03:29 PM
Probably not and they probably hate patbooyah right back...:D:

nobody hates me. its the chubby cheeks.

Hitmen77
05-27-2005, 03:30 PM

Exactly.

Also, it's one thing to poke fun at how Dusty overworks pitchers and wears them out or at how certain pitchers are overrated because they are very injury prone (Wood), but a freak accident that causes a serious injury is another matter.

Those of us old enough to remember 1976 will remember Ron LeFlore's line shot that shattered Wilbur Wood's kneecap.

voodoochile
05-27-2005, 03:30 PM

It's the curse of the boombox...

Ever since they shattered that boombox, everything has been falling apart. Then they had the audacity to trade his ShamME*ness without so much as a replacement... heck, he probably deserves a gold plated boombox for making that team the hot commodity it currently is.

Meanwhile, Baltimore is in first place... things that make you go hmmmm...:D:

Iwritecode
05-27-2005, 03:33 PM
Nobody mentioned this yet but the inning after Prior got hit the Cubs scored 4 runs w/2 outs to take a 5 - 1 lead. All because Colorado gave up a hit to the Cubs pitcher and their third-baseman booted a ground ball.

Now we know why the Rockies suck...

patbooyah
05-27-2005, 03:33 PM
meanwhile the cubs will not stop hitting homeruns.

Uncle_Patrick
05-27-2005, 03:34 PM
meanwhile the cubs will not stop hitting homeruns.

The wind must be blowing the right way.

TommyJohn
05-27-2005, 03:35 PM
:moron

It is the latest example of the Curse, the curse, that awful CURSE!!! But I
wouldn't expect insane, inane people like the simpletons who follow sports
to know anything about that!!! Only incredibly intelligent talents like me can
fully understand the Curse!! So look for me to weep and moan about it in
long, flowery detail tomorrow!! Along with my obligatory cheap shot at Steve
Bartman!! This is all his fault!!! This wouldn't be happening if he hadn't touched
that foul ball!!! I'm going to get him for this!!!

Balh, blah, blah ad nauseum. You get the idea.

Uncle_Patrick
05-27-2005, 03:37 PM

Bartman!! This is all his fault!!! This wouldn't be happening if he hadn't touched

You forgot the obligitory shot at Reinsdorf.

Jjav829
05-27-2005, 03:38 PM

Aw man, I'm touched. *sniff* *sniff* :hug:

RKMeibalane
05-27-2005, 03:42 PM

I agree. It's important that people show some class in this situation. Whether you like Prior or not, it's possible that his career may be drastically affected by this injury. Rumors are already circulating that he may done for the season. I don't wish something like that on anybody.

To play devil's advocate, everybody here remembers how down this board was when Frank and Maggs went down last season, and how angry we were when Cubs and Twins fans mocked us. Let's not sink to their level by laughing at Prior or the Cubs.

mikehuff
05-27-2005, 03:44 PM
The Trib already has pictures up...

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/

Click on "Prior's Injury" under the story.

Iwritecode
05-27-2005, 03:47 PM
You forgot the obligitory shot at Reinsdorf.

That will come up when he brings up the fact that Prior won't be able to pitch in the series at the "ballmall".

Mickster
05-27-2005, 03:48 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2005-05/17766986.jpg

Looks like he's holding the arm up ok after the injury. If the elbow was broken, we would not be looking at a picture like this.

kittle42
05-27-2005, 03:49 PM
I cannot believe this thread has this many posts. Damn, I just contributed.

WhiteSoxFan84
05-27-2005, 03:50 PM
http://forums.espn.go.com/espn/thread?threadID=1840560

the best part is how the first few who responded actually fell for it

kittle42
05-27-2005, 03:51 PM
No one has blamed the real culprit here.....the wind.

RKMeibalane
05-27-2005, 03:51 PM
I cannot believe this thread has this many posts. Damn, I just contributed.

It's a lot like Pavlov's dogs salivating when they hear a bell. People see the word Cubs, and they come running from all directions.

mikehuff
05-27-2005, 03:52 PM
Looks like he's holding the arm up ok after the injury. If the elbow was broken, we would not be looking at a picture like this.

Who knows what it looks like inside there. He has to throw with that arm. That's a lot of strain to be putting on an arm even if it's just sore.

DumpJerry
05-27-2005, 03:56 PM
http://forums.espn.go.com/espn/thread?threadID=1840560

the best part is how the first few who responded actually fell for it
Wow....this injury certainly seems more serious than we originally thought!

Soxzilla
05-27-2005, 04:04 PM
Barry? Did he steal your girlfriend or something?

That's as bad as gloating about the prior injury...

Hardly, Barry Bonds is just an incredibly bad person. And any injury he suffers from is probably the reactant of what he does to his body with all those chemicals he has used. Add in the fact he is a complete jackass, a cheater, and cheated on his wife... well, he's just the epitome of crap.

He doesn't deserve the record, and I hope he never plays ball again. He's made enough money in his career to live 800 lives, he doesn't need to be back in action.

mjharrison72
05-27-2005, 04:07 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2005-05/17766986.jpg

I'm no doctor, but that's actually a pretty natural way to hold your arm... isn't that why they put the arm in a sling in this position? Beckett, a little help?

DumpJerry
05-27-2005, 04:13 PM
I'm no doctor, but that's actually a pretty natural way to hold your arm... isn't that why they put the arm in a sling in this position? Beckett, a little help?
I'm not a doc, either, but that picture is but one instant. We don't know what he was doing with that arm the next second, he could have grabbed it with his left hand to support it, or something else. That pic does not give us insight into the condition of his arm other than the fact he is in pain.

Uncle_Patrick
05-27-2005, 04:15 PM
No one has blamed the real culprit here.....the wind.

Wait for the post-game news conference with Dusty.

I finally got to the replay on that line drive. All I can say is "wow". That looks painful as hell.

JRIG
05-27-2005, 04:19 PM
I think this will finally be the final straw that will force the Cubs to ban computers from the clubhouse.

After all, how else would a pitcher injure an elbow?

Uncle_Patrick
05-27-2005, 04:21 PM
I think this will finally be the final straw that will force the Cubs to ban computers from the clubhouse.

After all, how else would a pitcher injure an elbow?

Too many swings in batting practice?

buehrle4cy05
05-27-2005, 04:34 PM
No, he was using a computer too much.

Tizzlewizzle
05-27-2005, 04:36 PM
initial x-rays negative

owensmouth
According to MJH, the X-rays were negative

dcb33
FWIW, the Snore just reported that the X-Ray on Prior's arm was negative, but they are awaiting MRI results which will be available tomorrow morning.

RKMeibalane
05-27-2005, 04:41 PM
:tomatoaward

steff
05-27-2005, 04:45 PM
listen- i would never hope for injury on anyone, but prior is not a saint. didn't anyone read the suntimes article where it said that mccarthy had emailed him prior to their start and that prior didn't email him back?

Brandon was on MJ&H and said himself that Mark DID email him back pat...

patbooyah
05-27-2005, 04:55 PM
Brandon was on MJ&H and said himself that Mark DID email him back pat...

well, i'm not pathetic enough to listen to sports radio. and if that is the case- no newspaper retracted prior's quote that he didn't.

regardless, i said i felt bad for him.

AZChiSoxFan
05-27-2005, 05:03 PM

"I don't wish bad on anyone....except Bill Laimbeer" - Charles Barkley

AZChiSoxFan
05-27-2005, 05:15 PM

Care? The real question is when will they even know this happened?

And, no, I didn't mean to use teal.

soxwon
05-27-2005, 05:42 PM
couldnt happen to a nicer team lol

JB98
05-27-2005, 05:45 PM
couldnt happen to a nicer team lol

I have nothing against Prior. It's too bad he's injured, but watching insufferable Cubs fans suffer is one of life's simple pleasures.

:D:

NSSoxFan
05-27-2005, 05:52 PM
The sad thing is that this thread has 107 replies in about three hours, compared to yesterday night's post-game thread (60).

:?:

JB98
05-27-2005, 05:57 PM
The sad thing is that this thread has 107 replies in about three hours, compared to yesterday night's post-game thread (60).

:?:

Don't worry. If we happen to lose tonight, I'm confident we can accumulate at least 150 "sky-is-falling" posts.
:cool:

TommyJohn
05-27-2005, 06:01 PM
well, i'm not pathetic enough to listen to sports radio. and if that is the case- no newspaper retracted prior's quote that he didn't.

So now every one who listens to sports radio is pathetic?

Cubbiesuck13
05-27-2005, 06:06 PM
In a perfect world the flubbies would be healthy and still loose. That's what they were doing before Nomore got hurt. It was great. Now they have excuses.

patbooyah
05-27-2005, 06:07 PM
So now every one who listens to sports radio is pathetic?

sorry, tommy, but you know i've got a vested interest... :D:

shoota
05-27-2005, 06:19 PM
I feel bad mostly for Mark Prior, but also for Cub fans. We take no joy from this injury. This just sucks. I hope his injury is not serious and he only misses 2 starts.

elrod
05-27-2005, 06:49 PM
I've now had two people tell me in the last two days that they love the Cubs and don't care if they win. One even said she likes it when they lose because when they win it gets "too stressful". Now I always thought this attitude was sort of a straw man creation. Most people went to Wrigley for the beer, the babes and the tourist attraction. But I never thought actual Cub fans would admit to not caring how well the team does. Unbelievable. I told them both that they are Wrigley Field fans and not Cub fans, and that real Cub fans would loathe them more than I do. They didn't understand. Wow.

PAPChiSox729
05-27-2005, 06:52 PM
In a perfect world the flubbies would be healthy and still loose. That's what they were doing before Nomore got hurt. It was great. Now they have excuses.

I would have to agree. Then when they suck, we have incontrovertible evidence that they actually do and they can't use the "Just wait until we are healthy!" line.

MRKARNO
05-27-2005, 09:12 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2070100

X-rays on Prior's elbow were negative, Cubs trainer Mark O'Neal said, but a source with the team said later Friday an MRI revealed a "slight" fracture. The Cubs will continue to evaluate Prior's injury to determine how much time he will miss.

Which probably means that the fracture isn's so slight...

Evman5
05-27-2005, 09:16 PM
Breaking news on Espn. Tough break. Literally.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2070100 (Prior%20Breaks%20Arm)

buehrle4cy05
05-27-2005, 09:31 PM
Well, that will about do it for the Cubs this year.

PAPChiSox729
05-27-2005, 09:44 PM
Breaking news on Espn. Tough break. Literally.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2070100 (http://prior%20breaks%20arm/)

Link isn't working. I'll do it the long way.

monkeypants
05-27-2005, 10:12 PM
At this point in time should we really believe anything that the Cubs tell us about injuries to their players?

Viva Medias B's
05-27-2005, 10:35 PM
Driving home from work, I heard the Score's 9:40 p.m. update which mentioned George Ofman confirming that Prior's MRI revealed a hairline fracture. The speculation evidently is 1-1 months out for Prior.

As for the "celebrations" over Prior's injury, I think it's grossly out of line. I would rather see us face a healthy Prior and light him up.

DickAllen72
05-27-2005, 10:54 PM
Wow. Only miss a month with a hairline fracture in one's PITCHING elbow? I would think attempting a comeback too soon from an injury like that would be an invitation to disaster. The Cubs should play this one ultra-conservatively. After all, Prior is a franchise type player for them.

JB98
05-27-2005, 11:07 PM
Driving home from work, I heard the Score's 9:40 p.m. update which mentioned George Ofman confirming that Prior's MRI revealed a hairline fracture. The speculation evidently is 1-1 months out for Prior.

As for the "celebrations" over Prior's injury, I think it's grossly out of line. I would rather see us face a healthy Prior and light him up.

I would like the Sox to have the opportunity to face him again as well, but it does not appear likely. It's too bad for Prior. It's bad for baseball whenever a marquee player suffers an injury, but I don't feel the least bit sorry for the Cubs and their fans.

JB98
05-27-2005, 11:08 PM
Wow. Only miss a month with a hairline fracture in one's PITCHING elbow? I would think attempting a comeback too soon from an injury like that would be an invitation to disaster. The Cubs should play this one ultra-conservatively. After all, Prior is a franchise type player for them.

And they'll be out of the race by the time he returns. This is more than likely the final nail in the coffin for them.

WhiteSoxFan84
05-27-2005, 11:41 PM
he's probably done for the season. at the least, he will miss 2 months. that means he'll return in august when the team will probably be way out of contention. why would they bring him back if they have no idea how healthy he is and risk hurting him for an even longer period of time?

At the moment, their rotation looks like this;
Zambrano
Maddux
Rusch
Mitre
Wellemeyer (?)

If Dusty Baker is smart, he'll bring Ryan Dempster back into the rotation and make Joe Blow the closer again or have a bullpen-by-committee.

ive wasted enough time and brain power thinking up of how the cuBS can rebound from this injury.

TDog
05-27-2005, 11:56 PM

People are going to call you classless for posting this. They probably already have. The thread looks like it's already more than five pages long, and I don't have time to read the whole thing. People will probably think I'm classless, too, for what follows.

When good young players were making $20,000 to $50,000 a year (Vida Blue, $13,500 in his Cy Young season, 1971), I always felt bad for players who were hurt. Herb Score was a Yankee. Tony Conigliaro played in Boston. I read their stories and feel bad for them. I didn't feel bad for Albert Belle. If he had gone down while still with the Sox, I would have felt bad for the Sox, not Albert. I haven't felt bad for Magglio Ordonez since he signed for the big money under apparently false pretenses.

Prior's first professional contract set him up for life. Even if he suffers a career-ending injury, I can't feel bad for him. It's not like he even has to go to work for a living. If he did would probably get a job in the nebulous field of "sports journalism" and wouldn't be working for a living anyway.

I'm sure, though, Prior will be all right. He'll probably send another message to the White Sox this season. Maybe he'll visit WSI and print out the classless comments to inspire him.

(And maybe this is off-topic, but Don Pall does work for a living when he isn't announcing Sox games.)

Lip Man 1
05-28-2005, 01:00 AM
Interesting in that Friday night on the Tribune web site, their Prior story states that x-rays were negative and MRI results would be made available Saturday.

Meanwhile ESPN's web site states with no hesitation, that Prior has a crack in the elbow and will be out for awhile again.

Lip

elrod
05-28-2005, 05:36 AM
Trib says Prior's elbow broken, out 2 months. The ball came at him 117mph. ESPN mentioned that Brandon Hawpe (LSU) actually hit a key HR off Prior in the 2000 College World Series too.

Dan H
05-28-2005, 06:16 AM
Even though he is a Cub, Prior still has a world of talent and I can't how anyone can gloat over this. And this could happen to any Sox pitcher at any time. This was scary. I can't stand the Cubs, but I don't hope for injuries.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-28-2005, 08:19 AM
This might sound strange, but Prior's broken arm is actually a BLESSING for Dusty Baker and Sox Fans, too.

The Flubs weren't going anywhere this season and Dusty was being called out for what a dope of a manager he was. But now the season is sunk because the Messiah can't pitch and Dusty had no hand in him missing all these games. He broke his bone on a batted ball, not from Dusty's overuse.

The Lovable Losers have found their scapegoat (no pun intended) and as usual they'll remain blissfully ignorant to fix any of the real problems.

So everyone in Lovable Loserville can go along with the Cubune's charade, that the Flubs were simply doomed with "bad luck" and everything will be fine once everybody is healthy again. They're already saying it: Wait till next year!
:kukoo:

As a Sox Fan I'm not complaining. Flubbie delusions on this matter mean nothing will change for another year and I fully expect the Lovable Losers will pick up right where they left off next season with the same punchless offense, tender elbow Savior, "no big deal" hurtin' Messiah, and "online porn" Zambrano. LaToya will be gone, but I'm sure Hendry will find a suitable replacement to blow saves.
:roflmao:

Here's to 2006, guaranteed to be another great year to be a Sox Fan -- thanks in part to the ongoing delusions of the Flubs, their Lovable Loser rabble of fans, and of course that pisshole shrine to losing baseball "beeeautiful Wrigley Stadium!"
:thumbsup:

Wsoxmike59
05-28-2005, 08:32 AM

http://cache.gettyimages.com/comp/2591507.jpg?x=x&dasite=MS_GINS&ef=2&ev=1&dareq=E2399169AC85D6DE700C5D2248B680261476C697F253 731D

You wanna tell me again who was on the mound when this happened? :D:

http://cache.gettyimages.com/thumb/3017923.jpg?x=x&a=3017923&b=editorial&t=1http://cache.gettyimages.com/thumb/3017929.jpg?x=x&a=3017929&b=editorial&t=1

The Baseball gods don't like when you destroy historical artifacts!!!

The Curse Lives On!!!!

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2005-05/17647830.jpg

Cowhead418
05-28-2005, 11:23 AM
I never would wish injury of any kind on any ballplayer (even Sosa) because that is just classless. Instead of having them injured, I would MUCH rather have them stink it up at the plate or get lit up for 7 or 8 runs in one of their starts. That gives much greater satisfaction. Plus the Cub fans can't use injuries as an excuse if no one gets injured. I hope Prior is ok and that his career can continue. This guy just can't catch a break.

Baby Fisk
05-28-2005, 11:59 AM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2005-05/17647830.jpg
"I heard one of the pitchers broke his arm, but I was in the mens' room wizzing out the six-pack I had before the game. Not sure which pitcher it was but so long as it wasn't Woods we'll be fine for the playoffs. Get this: I picked up two phone numbers in the bleachers and threw back a home run ball. This was an awesome day to be a Cubs fan!"

If this guy isn't already a tag, he needs to be.

Lip Man 1
05-28-2005, 01:12 PM
Here's an interesting theory submitted for discussion.

If you were the Cubs, would you consider trading Prior this off season?

Here's what I mean.

It is a fact that he has a world of talent...it's also a fact that he simply can't avoid injuries.

Prior has been on the DL five times in the past two seasons!

He may simply be one of those players (think Jim McMahon in a baseball uniform) who no matter what they do, can't stay healthy.

If the Cubs deal him now there may still be a team out there willing to gamble and deal two or three good players for him....but another year or two of injuries and who in their right mind would give up anything for him?

Lip

TDog
05-28-2005, 01:49 PM
... And this could happen to any Sox pitcher at any time. This was scary. ...

Were you watching the game when Ron LeFlore of the Tigers lined a pitch off of Wilbur Wood's knee, effectively ending Wood's career. Wood pitched after that, but he wasn't the same. Granted, that was 30 years ago.

steff
05-28-2005, 02:24 PM

Correct.. you are beyond pathetic.

shoota
05-28-2005, 02:51 PM
Off topic, when will Prior be eligible for free agency?

How many years of service does an MLB player need to become eligible for FA?

gobears1987
05-28-2005, 03:08 PM
MLB is reporting he will be missing a lot of time, but will be back this year. I'm not celebrating this injury. I'm not a huge Prior fan, but this just sucks. I have to feel sorry for him as this is just a freak injury that can happen to anyone. I wish Prior the best here and hope he comes back 100% as soon as possible. He seems like a hard worker who usually gets injured because Dusty sucks as a manager, but this is out of anyone's control.

patbooyah
05-28-2005, 03:09 PM
Correct.. you are beyond pathetic.

and you have had an unexplained personal problem with me for as long as i can remember, and I refuse to stoop to your level. :cool:

just remember that i have never once attacked you.

and one last edit- if you think that my joke about listening to sports radio was directed at you, you are wrong. it was a lighthearted and less than funny joke in reference to the fact that sports radio here is terrible, and i have a vested interest against it. notice my reply to torn. alright. goodnight.

soxwon
05-28-2005, 03:33 PM
im sorry i have no sympathy for prior or any of the cubs.

their presence in this town, makes me ill.

im not glad he got hurt, but it only serves them right.

its time the sox are the TEAM here.

the cubs are done!!!!

and if they get dunn from cinc, they really are dunn.

sox rule

frank thomas-sox dh
mark prior- cubs DL

Hangar18
05-28-2005, 03:42 PM
It's a lot like Pavlov's dogs salivating when they hear a bell. People see the word Cubs, and they come running from all directions.

heh heheh heheh. Havnt we been down this road before? Messiah gets injured and, like a car wreck on the side of the road, everyone stops to take a look? And like last time The Messiah was hurt, we had to make sure we distinguished between "im glad hes hurt" and "I dont want him to personally suffer". I'll stand right where I stood before, I dont wish the guy dead or anything ridiculous like that. However, his success always comes to the detriment of the White Sox (overhype, ignoring SOX successes, printing more negative stories about the SOX etc etc) The Messiah took the Cubs for $10 Million bucks people. Not counting the countless endorsements hes already inked. He is already sitting pretty the rest of his life ......... I dont care. Im not going to wish him luck. and im not going to wish bad health either. Heck, if that was him in a car wreck on the side of the road, im the first guy to get out and help him out of his solid gold Hummer. Id probably tell him it serves him right he wrecked his gold Hummer because of all the Champaign and Caviar in the front seat. Patbooyah is right, he has been quietly a JERK in this town, and walks about with an air of Somebody-owes-me attitude, but guess what, hes getting a permanent Get-out-of-jerk-jail-free Card ................because hes a CUB.

Chisox003
05-28-2005, 04:03 PM
I feel bad not because he's hurt, but because his injuries never seem to be his fault...Yesterday was a freak incident, and the fact that they trusty-in-dusty to control the team cant be good for ANYBODY

However, I definitely do not feel anything for his employers or their "fans"...This team was going nowhere whether Prior (Wood and Garciaparra) are healthy or not...With all those guys, the Cubs are still no better than a .500 team!

If they try to bring him back this season, which is already a lost cause, then I see no reason why we should feel sorry for anybody involved if another injury occurs...If the cubs didnt learn the first 3 times, who's fault is it if their guys keep going down? Sure isnt ours, whether we hope for it or not

Again, im not happy hes hurt and I surely wouldnt wish injury on anybody, but I definitely see this as yet another "serves you right" situation for that entire organization, not solely prior

WhiteSoxFan84
05-28-2005, 06:06 PM
the truth is, if this were a sox player getting injured, cub fans would take every opportunity to yell at all of us and say, "so and so... HE GONE!"

so i took advantage of the situation and to every cubs fan at work today i was saying, "whats that you say about prior, hawk? what?? ohhh, HE GONE!"

and i teased a ton of them saying, "hey, at least you can have a song for your new ace; 'OOO-EEE-OOO, SERRRR-GIOOOOO! OOO-EEE-OOO, SERRR-GIOOOO!"

they laughed at it and just said that the sox were beginning to fade.

see, it won't get many people pissed off and it shouldn't; unless you're related to the guy or are a close friend of his.

ShoelessJoeS
05-28-2005, 06:23 PM
prior fractured his elbow? what a shame

HawksBiggestFan
05-28-2005, 09:02 PM
Prior is a douchebag.

With that said, I don't wish this on anyone. That was scary. Chilling to the spine.

White Sox Josh
05-28-2005, 09:18 PM
I can't wait to see the Prior Watch in the Cubune.

Cubbiesuck13
05-29-2005, 01:11 AM
Looks like he will miss 4-6 weeks according to the Flubs. I guess they will be lucky to have him next year about this time.

"Everybody has them, and unfortunately we've had a bad streak here in the last couple years. We've had some weird things happen." Mark Prior

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-050528cubspriordl,1,480898.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

That's one heck of a streak they got going. I figure "streak" to mean weeks or months, not seasons. I guess they are on a bad WS winning streak also.

SOXPHILE
05-30-2005, 07:15 PM
Can't he just heal himself ? He is the "Messiah", you know.

Wsoxmike59
06-01-2005, 02:34 PM
Can't he just heal himself ? He is the "Messiah", you know.

I just find it a very strange coincidence that this is the very same elbow that Dusty Baker sprinkled with Holy Water earlier this season.

Proving once again God is NOT A CUBS FAN!!!! :D:

Viva Medias B's
06-01-2005, 10:52 PM
Since Prior went down, the Cubs haven't lost a game. I wish somebody would wake the hell up and beat them. Like the rest of you, I'm soooooo sick of them winning.