PDA

View Full Version : Why the fastball to McPherson?

HawkISox
05-27-2005, 02:54 PM
He could not hit a breaking pitch with an oar...He got the one pitch he could handle, and it cost the Sox a game. Was I the only one who said game over when he hit that?

Who called it? AJ or Contreras?

RKMeibalane
05-27-2005, 02:58 PM
He could not hit a breaking pitch with an oar...He got the one pitch he could handle, and it cost the Sox a game. Was I the only one who said game over when he hit that?

Probably AJ. I don't think Contreras is allowed to call his own pitches.

Sleep520
05-27-2005, 03:08 PM
A little bit more run support would have been nice...

I have trouble questioning or critiquing our pitching at the moment because they've been great while the offense hasn't...

kittle42
05-27-2005, 03:08 PM
Are we blaming the game on one pitch to McPherson? Tsk, tsk. :smile:

Paulwny
05-27-2005, 03:13 PM
I don't know what the count was , but perhaps the pitch may have been intended to show McPherson a fast ball, but off the plate. Contreras caught too much of the plate.

samram
05-27-2005, 03:22 PM
Probably AJ. I don't think Contreras is allowed to call his own pitches.

Contreras would never voluntarily throw a fastball. He's in love with that splitter.

tstrike2000
05-27-2005, 03:28 PM
He could not hit a breaking pitch with an oar...He got the one pitch he could handle, and it cost the Sox a game.

Everett also struck out to end the inning after getting two good pitches to hit with Uribe as the tieing run on second. Contreras pitched well as a whole. Scoring 2 runs isn't gonna win a whole lot of games.

CHISOXFAN13
05-27-2005, 03:29 PM
I'm assuming it was Ozzie that called the pitch since he trotted out to talk to Jose before he gave up the dong.

His fastball was working. In order for JC to be successul, he has to throw the fastball for strikes. He did that all night. Tip your cap to McPherson for connecting on one.

RKMeibalane
05-27-2005, 03:34 PM
Maybe Nardi Contreras has been giving Jose advice.

:nardi

"Just throw the ball over the middle of the plate and let them hit it."

Randar68
05-27-2005, 03:44 PM

I used my DVR to rewind and watch that sequence several times last night. AJ went through the signs on his own and called for a fastball. However, he called for a high fastball inside, and Jose threw it just above the knees and more over-the-plate than inside.

A high-inside fastball would have set up nicely for his fork ball, but he missed the spot about a foot lower than where it should have been.

jabrch
05-27-2005, 03:47 PM
Black Jack was all over that...he wanted him to "bury three straight forkballs" at him - and that was not quite how it played out.

All in all it was a game Contreras should have won. He gave up 3 runs - we only scored 2. A little more support, or a better pitch to McPhereson...oh well.

you win 60, you lose 60. That's just one of those 60 I guess.

owensmouth
05-27-2005, 04:39 PM
Contreras pitched a darn good game (this coming from someone who doesn't think a whole lot of the seven million dollar man). He doesn't give up many hits, but the percentage of multi base hits seems out of proportion. That said, he threw the same fastball, same location to McPherson in his first at bat and it was fouled off.

Ozzie went out and talked to Contreras just before he pitched to McPherson. At that point, Cotts was warmed up and could have come in. I was hoping OG would leave Contreras in. He did, and we all know what happened.

boat
05-27-2005, 04:42 PM
I used my DVR to rewind and watch that sequence several times last night. AJ went through the signs on his own and called for a fastball. However, he called for a high fastball inside, and Jose threw it just above the knees and more over-the-plate than inside.

A high-inside fastball would have set up nicely for his fork ball, but he missed the spot about a foot lower than where it should have been.

Randar nailed it. That pitch was supposed to be in on the hands...Jose just missed his spot.

TaylorStSox
05-27-2005, 04:46 PM

Exactly. You attack the rookie that's been struggling all year with your heat. Jose caught too much of the plate and the rest is history. In retrospect, I would have called for the fastball again and located it better.

PAPChiSox729
05-27-2005, 04:52 PM
Randar nailed it. That pitch was supposed to be in on the hands...Jose just missed his spot.

That's what it looked like. I don't think AJ would intentionally have Jose throw a pitch right down the middle of the plate. Homeruns happen when you make mistakes to big league hitters.

BaseballTonyght
05-27-2005, 04:56 PM

The worst part about this post is if Contreras had thrown a breaking ball, this post would read:

Why the Breaking Ball?
He could not hit a fastball with an oar...He got the one pitch he could handle, and it cost the Sox a game. Was I the only one who said game over when he hit that?

Blah blah. I was at the game last night, and damn did that suck... but why don't we discuss something more relevant such as the anemic Sox offense with RISP. Contreras pitched one hell of a game and deserves nothing but praise for his effort.

fquaye149
05-27-2005, 05:03 PM

contreras does not throw a breaking ball

BaseballTonyght
05-27-2005, 05:11 PM
contreras does not throw a breaking ball

He throws a couple of different breaking balls actually, but that fact is still irrelevant.

fquaye149
05-27-2005, 05:22 PM
He throws a couple of different breaking balls actually, but that fact is still irrelevant.

I was under the impression he throws a fastball and a splitter.

bluestar
05-27-2005, 05:38 PM
I was under the impression he throws a fastball and a splitter.

Technically, Contreras does not throw a splitter; it's a forkball. It is a little more difficult grip than the splitter (the index and middle finger are spread as wide as possible and the thumb is used to support the ball), and, when thrown effectively, it breaks more than a splitter.

MRKARNO
05-27-2005, 06:50 PM
Why the fastball?

:ozzie

"Because I'm the (bleep)ing manager!"

mealfred13
05-27-2005, 06:55 PM
They were talking about this on the radio this afternoon on the Score. Apparently, according to news reports, Contreras said he threw the pitch HE wanted to throw.

Frankly I find it hard to believe he CHOSE to throw a fastball there, but if that's the case, it's good in a way. At least he now has some faith in his fastball.

The guys on the radio variously said that Ozzie may have come out and told Jose to attack the hitter, which may have led to a fastball call, etc. In any event, what happened happened. We still should have won the game 5-3 if the offense didn't screw up last night.

fquaye149
05-27-2005, 08:01 PM
Technically, Contreras does not throw a splitter; it's a forkball. It is a little more difficult grip than the splitter (the index and middle finger are spread as wide as possible and the thumb is used to support the ball), and, when thrown effectively, it breaks more than a splitter.

fair enough. but does he throw a curveball, slider or sinker (i.e., breaking ball)?