PDA

View Full Version : Strong words

Daver
11-11-2001, 07:08 PM
From the former Union cheif of the MLBPA.

http://money.cnn.com/2001/11/09/news/column_sportsbiz/

doublem23
11-11-2001, 07:13 PM
Wow... This is going to be a messy winter....

Oh well, there's always 2003....

czalgosz
11-11-2001, 07:30 PM
Marvin Miller is a blowhard - and I say again, the reason the Union wins is because these don't get decided in a real court, instead it gets decided by an independent arbitrator, who always sides with the players.

Miller's talking about violations of anti-trust laws - but he fails to mention that MLB has an anti-trust exemption, meaning that they can do whatever they want to without referencing antitrust laws. If it gets up to the U.S. Supreme Court, they'll laugh it out of court. The Player's union is counting on the owners to fold before it gets that far.

The whole idea of a Player's Union makes me gag. What union has members negotiating individual contracts? If they are a union, then act like one. They should agree to a standard pay scale that slides based on seniority (NOT ability). No other union in this country or anywhere else has such a disparity in pay between their members.

As for the owners, if they want to find the reason why most of them are losing money, they should look in the mirror. If the Diamondbacks are losing money, why did Jerry Colangelo spending so much money on their payroll? Why did the Rangers blow $250 Mill on Alex Rodriguez when noone else was offering more than $150 Mill? No one held a gun to their head.

Frankly, I'm sick and tired of billionaire owners crying poor and blaming the fans, and millionaire ballplayers saying that 10 Million a year is an "insult".

Baseball will always exist. If the league was to fold tomorrow, a new one would pop up the next day. If they can't get their act together, the hell with 'em.

I braved the 1994 strike because I thought there would be change coming out of it. Apparently not. Now I'm almost hoping for a complete meltdown, just so there will be an end to all this mess. If the baseball season is shortened or lost next season, that's it. I'm gone. I just won't follow baseball anymore. They won't deserve my attention.

A pox on both their houses.

Daver
11-11-2001, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
Marvin Miller is a blowhard - and I say again, the reason the Union wins is because these don't get decided in a real court, instead it gets decided by an independent arbitrator, who always sides with the players.

Miller's talking about violations of anti-trust laws - but he fails to mention that MLB has an anti-trust exemption, meaning that they can do whatever they want to without referencing antitrust laws. If it gets up to the U.S. Supreme Court, they'll laugh it out of court. The Player's union is counting on the owners to fold before it gets that far.

The whole idea of a Player's Union makes me gag. What union has members negotiating individual contracts? If they are a union, then act like one. They should agree to a standard pay scale that slides based on seniority (NOT ability). No other union in this country or anywhere else has such a disparity in pay between their members.

As for the owners, if they want to find the reason why most of them are losing money, they should look in the mirror. If the Diamondbacks are losing money, why did Jerry Colangelo spending so much money on their payroll? Why did the Rangers blow $250 Mill on Alex Rodriguez when noone else was offering more than $150 Mill? No one held a gun to their head.

Frankly, I'm sick and tired of billionaire owners crying poor and blaming the fans, and millionaire ballplayers saying that 10 Million a year is an "insult".

Baseball will always exist. If the league was to fold tomorrow, a new one would pop up the next day. If they can't get their act together, the hell with 'em.

I braved the 1994 strike because I thought there would be change coming out of it. Apparently not. Now I'm almost hoping for a complete meltdown, just so there will be an end to all this mess. If the baseball season is shortened or lost next season, that's it. I'm gone. I just won't follow baseball anymore. They won't deserve my attention.

A pox on both their houses.

Don't hold back,say what you really feel.

czalgosz
11-11-2001, 09:01 PM
LOL! No really, it just burns me to see these guys messing with the sport that I love.

duke of dorwood
11-11-2001, 11:17 PM
I have been able to put all this stuff out of mind while the season goes on. There is never an OFF season anymore. The players end, and the owners take center stage. This is when all the damage is done.

MarqSox
11-12-2001, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by czalgosz

Not saying I disagree with you ... but what about the Actors' Guild?