PDA

View Full Version : Bad Calls going against the SOX. Who else is sick of it?

Hangar18
05-27-2005, 10:44 AM
Last nite, there were at least 3 Blatatantly bad calls that of course, all
went against the SOX. All of them were during rallies which snuffed the fire
out of, so to speak. Im starting to get really tired of lazy umpires. How
do they keep missing calls and what seems like all going against us?
Iguchi was SAFE and wouldve made the game 2-1. Jermaine "cant-hit-but-cheaper-than-caballo" Dye was given the ring-up on a bad call, he checked his swing. We had men on and that ended the inning, who knows if he drives one into the gap? that scores 2 runs and probably puts the game away 4-1.

Scott Posednik late innings steals 2nd base and was VERY SAFE, not even close.
Replay shows him being tagged on the elbow AFTER hed slid in safely.
Does MLB get to look at these things? It stinks because its affecting a pennant race .........

mikehuff
05-27-2005, 10:47 AM
I noticed McCarthy getting squeezed on a few pitches last time out. Stuff that was right there was just ignore by the umps.
Good thing he was able to pitch through that.

thepaulbowski
05-27-2005, 10:48 AM
I think the replay showed Iguchi was out, or at least too close to tell from the replay. The Pods call was bad though. I believe MLB looks at the umpires and grades them. I have seen bad calls go the Sox way, also this year....

Hangar18
05-27-2005, 10:53 AM
I think the replay showed Iguchi was out, or at least too close to tell from the replay. The Pods call was bad though. I believe MLB looks at the umpires and grades them. I have seen bad calls go the Sox way, also this year....

I disagree, the replay showed pitchers foot on one side of the PLATE, and WASTN blocking the plate. That was key. Iguchi touched the other side of the plate. If the pitcher tags his foot without Iguchi touching the plate is one thing, but he "tagged " him after he already tagged home. LAZY UMPIRING cost us another run big time which AGAIN figured in the contest. How many bad calls have gone against us? were they game-changing? Bad calls have definitely cost us a few games now. I know, we had chances to break the game open, but for the sake of argument, has umpiring been this bad before?

Rocky Soprano
05-27-2005, 10:54 AM
I replayed it a couple of times and played it in slow-mo and to me at least it looked like Iguchi was out. REAL close play.

thepaulbowski
05-27-2005, 10:59 AM
I disagree, the replay showed pitchers foot on one side of the PLATE, and WASTN blocking the plate. That was key. Iguchi touched the other side of the plate. If the pitcher tags his foot without Iguchi touching the plate is one thing, but he "tagged " him after he already tagged home. LAZY UMPIRING cost us another run big time which AGAIN figured in the contest. How many bad calls have gone against us? were they game-changing? Bad calls have definitely cost us a few games now. I know, we had chances to break the game open, but for the sake of argument, has umpiring been this bad before?

Umpires don't cost games, not executing costs games. Good teams work around bad calls, and this team has done that many times this year. The Iguchi play was a bang/bang play, can't fault the umpire for that play either way.

CubKilla
05-27-2005, 11:00 AM
I replayed it a couple of times and played it in slow-mo and to me at least it looked like Iguchi was out. REAL close play.

Ditto. Too bad MLB isn't allowed a "5th umpire" to grade the umps on the field using the benefit of instant replay. A 5th umpire could track umpiring stats throughout a season. Got a crew or an umpire with big-time problems making the right calls and send then back to AAA or AA for some work.

I know the Sox have been on the receiving end of bad calls but it seems the vast preponderance have been bad calls going against the Sox.

Gotta admire that fire out of Ozzie too when a bad call goes against the Sox :rolleyes:

fincher
05-27-2005, 11:14 AM
Good calls or bad calls will even out over the course of a season. Iguchi was out and I thought Podsednik was, too.

What irks me is the Sox had plenty of chances last night to score runs. Plenty. And Contreras was excellent despite McPherson's dinger. Even if the calls were bad, the Sox need to capitalize on opportunities.

Tough, tough loss.

Rocky Soprano
05-27-2005, 11:26 AM
Good calls or bad calls will even out over the course of a season. Iguchi was out and I thought Podsednik was, too.

What irks me is the Sox had plenty of chances last night to score runs. Plenty. And Contreras was excellent despite McPherson's dinger. Even if the calls were bad, the Sox need to capitalize on opportunities.

Tough, tough loss.

Exactly, the Sox lost be cause they were not able to capatalize on a bunch of opportunities.

A couple of hits and the Sox would of won this game easily.

Baby Fisk
05-27-2005, 11:27 AM
Umpires don't cost games, not executing costs games. Good teams work around bad calls, and this team has done that many times this year. The Iguchi play was a bang/bang play, can't fault the umpire for that play either way.

Exactly. This thread is built on a foundation of tin foil.

Kogs35
05-27-2005, 11:28 AM
mlb needs to use the nfl grading system for there umpires. this way they are punish with not getting bonuses, and they dont get to work the big games/ series in baseball.

thepaulbowski
05-27-2005, 11:30 AM
If we start using umpires as an excuse then we start to sound like......Flubbie fans.

cheeses_h_rice
05-27-2005, 11:31 AM
I thought Iguchi was out, Pods was safe, and that Dye didn't go around, but c'mon Hangar, there's no crying in baseball, and I'm absolutely 100% positive that you're not seeing some of the calls that have gone against Sox opponents this year.

There's no conspiracy here. The calls will probably even out when all is said and done. The fact is, the Sox just didn't get it done last night, and they had multiple opportunities.

Rocky Soprano
05-27-2005, 11:32 AM
Exactly. This thread is built on a foundation of tin foil.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v376/mimthehood/TinFoilHat_puton.jpg

Can we add this pic? :D:

itsnotrequired
05-27-2005, 11:34 AM
I thought Iguchi was out, Pods was safe, and that Dye didn't go around, but c'mon Hangar, there's no crying in baseball, and I'm absolutely 100% positive that you're not seeing some of the calls that have gone against Sox opponents this year.

There's no conspiracy here. The calls will probably even out when all is said and done. The fact is, the Sox just didn't get it done last night, and they had multiple opportunities.

I feel the same way regarding the Iguchi, Podsednik and Dye calls. All were close though.

jdm2662
05-27-2005, 12:12 PM
You are going to get the close calls go your way at times and go against you at times. I thought at first Iguchi was clearly safe, but the replay made me think otherwise. It was too inconclusive to me to make a ruiling. The White Sox had many chances to score runs tonight, and they failed. Let's not turn into excuse making, whinning, Cub fans. The Sox aren't going to win every close game.
________
GRANNY VIDEO (http://www.****tube.com/categories/23/granny/videos/1)

Hangar18
05-27-2005, 12:24 PM
You are going to get the close calls go your way at times and go against you at times. I thought at first Iguchi was clearly safe, but the replay made me think otherwise. It was too inconclusive to me to make a ruiling. The White Sox had many chances to score runs tonight, and they failed. Let's not turn into excuse making, whinning, Cub fans. The Sox aren't going to win every close game.

I said earlier in this thread about knowing we had chances and blew them.
All im saying is, seems a very disproportionate amt of calls that are game-turning are going against us. If the ump makes a "bad" call and calls Iguchi safe, thats a run 2-1 for us. Maybe the Angels go to the pen earlier ......
Iguchi was safe ....... Pods was safe. Man on 2nd, who knows if the pitcher worries and throws a strike which is launched by Rowand? instead
hes called out when he was really safe ........

veeter
05-27-2005, 12:40 PM
Close calls can go either way but I can't stand when umps aren't in the right position. Iguchi shoud've been called safe because the flip to Lackey was high meaning he had to bring it all the way down. I think he just beat it. Also Pods was easily safe. I also look at umpire's body language. If on a very close play the jag make a "casual" safe or out signal it irks me. I want emphatic signals on emphatic plays.

kittle42
05-27-2005, 02:59 PM
One hit in any key situation and you wouldn't even be talking about umpires and calls. But the blame where the blame belongs and stop sounding like a Cubbie fan blaming everything that happens in a game on Dusty Baker (I heard *much* of this at the Cubs game yesterday, by the way).

Hangar18
05-27-2005, 03:11 PM
One hit in any key situation and you wouldn't even be talking about umpires and calls. But the blame where the blame belongs and stop sounding like a Cubbie fan blaming everything that happens in a game on Dusty Baker (I heard *much* of this at the Cubs game yesterday, by the way).

Again, I said separate the Bad Calls from The SOX needing to hit when it counts .......YES, if they hit, its a moot point.

Dick Allen
05-27-2005, 03:34 PM
This all reminds me of the late 60's/early 70's when the Blackhawks had good teams. Whenever they went to the West Coast, weird things happened and they never did well. Even against the Kings and Seals.

ondafarm
05-27-2005, 04:04 PM
Good calls or bad calls will even out over the course of a season.

No way. If you've ever played the game you realize there are some players and some teams that the umpires just hate. When I played in Japan, I was the first American in an all-Japanese league. Every team protested my participation, but my team had everything lined up and legal. Most umpires were totally sympathetic to the opposition and would routinely make bad calls against me and sometimes even my teammates. While playing left one game, I ran a ball down and gave a mighty throw to nail the runner at the plate by fifteen or twenty feet (he didn't even slide.) The umpire called him safe and turned away all questions saying a Japanese could never have made that throw. The next series we played (with the same umpiring crew) was against Hitachi and featured an absolutely deadly right fielder named I.Suzukii. He gunned down one of our fastest runners from third on a pretty deep sac fly attempt while I stood in the on deck circle (hence, I coached the play at the plate.) After the play I told the umpire "That throw was even better than mine last week." which it was. He promptly threw me out of the game and the whole season called me out on strikes at least a dozen more times (once when the opposition was tring to IBB me.)

Bad calls never even out.

Iwritecode
05-27-2005, 05:04 PM
Every team protested my participation, but my team had everything lined up and legal.

Somehow Japanese players protesting you playing a game that was invented in America seems wrong...

Oh and on the subject of this thread, after seeing what's going on with the team on the northside:

bad calls > injuries (we've been pretty lucky so far *knocks on wood*)

:)

fincher
05-27-2005, 05:08 PM
Bad calls never even out.

Well, yes, to the extent you never get the call back or overturned. But, there will be calls in favor of the Sox. Whatever. The Sox blew some good chances last night. That's all.

Here's to a better outcome tonight!!!

ma-gaga
05-27-2005, 05:24 PM
It's been said before. EVERY team get's bad calls, they all get squeezed, the umps make mistakes; it's part of the game. Same with injuries. The best teams are the ones that win despite them.

I don't understand what Hanger's beef is. I refuse to believe that there is a league wide conspiracy against the mighty W.Sox.

:cool:

White Sox Josh
05-27-2005, 05:39 PM
Umpires don't cost games, not executing costs games. Good teams work around bad calls, and this team has done that many times this year. The Iguchi play was a bang/bang play, can't fault the umpire for that play either way.The only time that the umpires intentially tried to cost the Sox a game was in Oakland. The Sox lost last night because they couldn't give Contreras any run support.