PDA

View Full Version : The excuses keep coming...

itsnotrequired
05-27-2005, 08:16 AM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/chi-0505270161may27,1,1235983.story?coll=chi-sportsnew-hed

FedEx227
05-27-2005, 09:17 AM
I knew that wind would screw them this year...unbelieveable!

Frater Perdurabo
05-27-2005, 10:06 AM
Something tells me this is just the beginning of the Tribune's propaganda campaign to prepare the lemming masses for the day when the Cubs move to a new stadium, either a few miles west of their current location or in the suburbs.

In such a scenario, the new park will resemble the current Urinal (ivy, Sandberg basket, short power alleys), but have tons of luxury suites and club seating and all the amenities like clean restrooms and no obstructed seats and a Fundamentals area for the kids. Of course, the Trib's architecture critic will praise the Cubs for being the first team in Chicago to have a stadium with these features.
:angry:

It probably also will have a retractable roof and a senior citizens' center (for the WGN nursing home set) as well, and it probably will be built completely with taxpayer dollars thanks to a deal brokered by the Cubs fan governor and it will be named "Tribune Park."

They also probably will leave the existing Urinal in place for minor league and high school and college games (DePaul and Northwestern baseball teams, perhaps?), Dave Matthews Band and Jimmy Buffet concerts and other beer garden events.

This will give the Tribune Company two revenue streams: one from the sale/lease of corporate-owned suites and seats at the new publicly-financed stadium, and the other from the world's largest beer garden.

Yet most of the people who go to Cubs games at present probably won't even know that there's no Cubs game going on at the Urinal.

Dude, what's the score?

Uncle_Patrick
05-27-2005, 10:11 AM
It probably also will have a retractable roof and a senior citizens' center

Of course it'll have a senior center. Where do you think they'd hire their security from?

Palehose13
05-27-2005, 10:18 AM
Un-****ing-believable!

Has it occured to these morons that the opposing team has to hit in the same ballpark under the same conditions?

cheeses_h_rice
05-27-2005, 10:21 AM
Un-****ing-believable!

Has it occured to these morons that the opposing team has to hit in the same ballpark under the same conditions?

Don't be silly. Everyone knows that nature, the winds, God, Mother Nature, and the elements are biased against the Flubs.

RavenswoodFan
05-27-2005, 10:21 AM
Didn't the Sox hit a few home runs there recently?:smile:

SoxFan78
05-27-2005, 10:23 AM
waaaa waaaa waaaa!!!!

If the wind is blowing in, how about not trying to hit home runs and hit more line drives?? Un-believable.

Mickster
05-27-2005, 10:24 AM
Didn't the Sox hit a few home runs there recently?:smile:

Yes, they sure did.

:Grobber
"Crede's shot barely made it into the basket....."

:)

samram
05-27-2005, 10:25 AM
Don't be silly. Everyone knows that nature, the winds, God, Mother Nature, and the elements are biased against the Flubs.

I heard that opposing teams call the Twins' facilities manager to reverse the wind when the visiting teams bat.

Flight #24
05-27-2005, 10:29 AM
Un-****ing-believable!

No, you see because the opponents have to play there only for a series or 2 while the Cubs get half their games there, they're at a disadvantage. It's a volume based thing. Kind of like that bank that said "we make change".

Hangar18
05-27-2005, 10:31 AM
Un-****ing-believable!

heh heh. And has is OCCURED to these same MORONS that they are 3rd in the NL in homeruns hit?

thepaulbowski
05-27-2005, 10:55 AM

As the Successory says: If God is a baseball fan, it's obvious he doesn't give a rats ass about the Cubs. :cool:

MUScholar21
05-27-2005, 11:13 AM
Frater, that might be the most intelligent and perceptive post I've ever seen in here. It's actually similar to the way they got rid of Sham-ME, by letting their columnists loose on him and swaying the public's opinion.

Uncle_Patrick
05-27-2005, 11:15 AM
Un-****ing-believable!

Palehose, please! Facts have no place at Wrigley Field this year.

Palehose13
05-27-2005, 11:17 AM
heh heh. And has is OCCURED to these same MORONS that they are 3rd in the NL in homeruns hit?

I especially love this bit of reasoning by Walker:

I talked to Fred McGriff here when I was a visitor and I was on first base," Todd Walker said. "He said, `People think this is a hitter's park, and it's not.' He was right.

"It's a home-run park half the days, but if you don't have either extreme speed or extreme power, when you don't hit home runs, you're going to have a tough time."

The Cubs are third in the National League in home runs (52), but are tied for 13th in runs scored (190). Walker believes Cubs management can only build two kinds of teams--with burners or sluggers.

"This ballpark is conducive to the home-run hitters and/or speed guys," he said.

:?: So which is it?

Iwritecode
05-27-2005, 11:29 AM
Walker believes Cubs management can only build two kinds of teams--with burners or sluggers.

They can spend 90 million on a team and they still can't find a good mix of speed and power? :?:

Seems like the Cubs need to build a team with a solid 1-5 starting staff, solid bullpen, and a balance lineup with guys that know how to get on base and get clutch hits.

I swear I saw a team like that around here somewhere.

and they didn't spend 90 million doing it either...

Palehose13
05-27-2005, 11:36 AM
They can spend 90 million on a team and they still can't find a good mix of speed and power? :?:

Seems like the Cubs need to build a team with a solid 1-5 starting staff, solid bullpen, and a balance lineup with guys that know how to get on base and get clutch hits.

I swear I saw a team like that around here somewhere.

and they didn't spend 90 million doing it either...

Shhhhhhhh...there's some people around here who believe that the only way to get a winning team is to spend a lot of money!

Hangar18
05-27-2005, 11:45 AM
Of course it'll have a senior center. Where do you think they'd hire their security from?

heheh heh hehhe hehhhehe Good one!

Uncle_Patrick
05-27-2005, 11:45 AM
What's cracking me up is that even Cubs fans aren't buying this excuse.

Hangar18
05-27-2005, 11:47 AM
What's cracking me up is that even Cubs fans aren't buying this excuse.

YES they are, and all the Blue-Sheep will fall in line by the all-star break .....
going to take a lot more cubpoganda

Uncle_Patrick
05-27-2005, 11:57 AM
YES they are, and all the Blue-Sheep will fall in line by the all-star break .....
going to take a lot more cubpoganda

I don't know. I've looked at a couple Cubs websites today, and the posters on those websites weren't buying this article. One guy called the Cubs "a bunch of whiney losers." Remember, this article is blaming Wrigley Field, the greatest place on earth. I imagine that a lot of so-called Cubs fans are conflicted now as to who they are allied with more, the Lovalbe Losers or their beloved Shrine. Today is not a good day to be a Cubs/Wrigley fan.

balke
05-27-2005, 12:08 PM
Injuries, wind, league banning of steroids, bad manager who ruins pitchers. In the end they just aren't good. My Cub fans have even admitted it, look at Ramirez's #'s for his new contract. Painful team to be a fan of.