PDA

View Full Version : Williams Comments On Frank's Return

Lip Man 1
05-27-2005, 02:27 AM
Ready or not...here he comes...

From the Tribune web site:

"Williams said slugger Frank Thomas probably will rejoin the team sometime on the next homestand, which starts Monday against the Angels."

If true that means sometime between May 30th and June 5th. Hey Bruce Levine....that's a far cry from 'July' isn't it???

LOL

Lip

Cubbiesuck13
05-27-2005, 02:33 AM
So who has the ultimate say in who goes down? KW? The Oz? Do you drop a reliever out of the pen (Walker) and keep the bench you have now? Choices choices.

SOXit2EM
05-27-2005, 02:52 AM
Ready or not...here he comes...

From the Tribune web site:

"Williams said slugger Frank Thomas probably will rejoin the team sometime on the next homestand, which starts Monday against the Angels."

If true that means sometime between May 30th and June 5th. Hey Bruce Levine....that's a far cry from 'July' isn't it???

LOL

Lip We need him......BAD!!! Welcome back Frank!! :cool:

CLR01
05-27-2005, 02:53 AM
We need him......BAD!!! Welcome back Frank!! :cool:

Do we? He is hitting .180 in Triple A, maybe he needs some more time?

Cubbiesuck13
05-27-2005, 03:09 AM

Maybe we should for a bat instead of bringing him up!

One thing he can do is hit.

Nellie_Fox
05-27-2005, 03:24 AM
Maybe we should for a bat instead of bringing him up! Huh?

doublem23
05-27-2005, 03:35 AM
Huh?

Trade for a bat?

He gone
05-27-2005, 06:40 AM
I'm ready for Big Frank to return.

Our pitching gave up 9 runs in the last 4 games and we are 2 & 2??????? We need some kind of hitting.

mccombe_35
05-27-2005, 08:48 AM
I can't wait for Frank to be back in the lineup. Even if he's not mashing the ball (not saying he won't be) having a guy in the lineup that will make the other pitcher throw a lot of pitches, & draw some walks sure won't hurt.

& for those saying Frank isn't ready to return - you do realize that 5 of the 9 guys in the starting lineup are hitting below .240, right? Just the thought of Frank hitting behind Scotty & Iguchi makes me smile.

1951Campbell
05-27-2005, 09:19 AM
Trade for a bat?

Once Paulie's trade value goes up...

gobears1987
05-27-2005, 09:38 AM
I hope he returns on May 30th so I can see his return live!

GO FRANK!

Frater Perdurabo
05-27-2005, 09:43 AM
Once Paulie's trade value goes up...

What a cryptically parsed use of teal....
:redneck

samram
05-27-2005, 10:07 AM
So who has the ultimate say in who goes down? KW? The Oz? Do you drop a reliever out of the pen (Walker) and keep the bench you have now? Choices choices.

Send Timo Perez as far from this team as possible.

tebman
05-27-2005, 10:41 AM
I'd feel a lot better about Frank coming up if I didn't read about him running tentatively or limping slightly as he would trot off the field. Frank will hit -- that's not a problem. I just want to be sure that he won't be risking another injury by coming back too soon.

MaggPipes
05-27-2005, 10:47 AM
well if frank is risking injury playing at AAA right now, he may as well be risking further injury at the Major League Level, because he is risking it either way imo....

seanpmurphy
05-27-2005, 12:40 PM

Walker? How about Luis 17 ER in 22 IP Vizcaino? That guy needs some work, and not in the majors.

P.S. I hope Hurt comes back on the 30th...

Lip Man 1
05-27-2005, 01:38 PM
Interesting story in the Daily Southtown. Last night Frank apparently hit what was thought to be a Grand Slam versus Indianapolis only to have it taken away after a big arguement that resulted in at least two Indian players tossed and umpires having a discussion.

Lip

Iwritecode
05-27-2005, 02:08 PM
Interesting story in the Daily Southtown. Last night Frank apparently hit what was thought to be a Grand Slam versus Indianapolis only to have it taken away after a big arguement that resulted in at least two Indian players tossed and umpires having a discussion.

Lip

First Thomas gets walked on 5 balls because the umpire "lost track of the count" and now this?

*shakes head*

No wonder Frank says he is ready to come back...

DumpJerry
05-27-2005, 02:59 PM
I'm not worried about Frank's batting average. He just needs to get his timing down. If he comes up this weekend to be activated for Memorial Day (actually, he won't come here, he'll go to Texas), a few sessions during BP with our studly pitching staff will be him ready like nobody else can!

I'm at the game on Memorial Day and the 31st. It would be such am adrenaline rush to hear his name on the PA before the game as being the DH in the line-up. I can see it now: 1st inning. Pods gets on base, Gooch steps up to the Plate. Suddenly the whole ballpark explodes into a giant ovation. Why? Big Frank has stepped into the On-deck Circle! The poor pitcher is now wondering why he did not take that job as a loan processor as he is literally shaking on the mound. He looks at Pods on 1st knowing, just knowing, he'll be on 2nd in a flash. He looks at Gooch and thinking about Gooch's ability to get on base. He'll look at Frank and feel like throwing up.

The catcher comes out and tells him to ignore Pods and Frank and focus on Gooch. Easy for him to say. Nonetheless, Gooch trots off to first on four straight balls which were not even close to the strike zone (Pods, of course is already on 2nd). Then to a thunderous ovation, Frank steps up. En route to running up a 3-0 count on Frank, a double steal occurs to get rid of the double play and further rattles the pitcher. Not wanting to load the bases on two walks in a row, the pitcher cautiously sends a breaking ball into the strike zone......................

The 6 year kid who caught the homer on the FUNDamentals Deck will always remember her meeting with Big Frank on May 30, 2005 to give him the ball.:D: :D: :D:

CLR01
05-27-2005, 03:29 PM
First Thomas gets walked on 5 balls because the umpire "lost track of the count" and now this?

*shakes head*

No wonder Frank says he is ready to come back...

The thrid base coach for the Knights was on the score this afternoon and he said the ball was foul.

RKMeibalane
05-27-2005, 03:32 PM
The thrid base coach for the Knights was on the score this afternoon and he said the ball was foul.

That's fine. I'm more interested in the fact that Frank seems to able to hit with power and drive the ball as he did before. His timing seems to be off, but that will come back as he gets more at-bats, whehter they take place at Charlotte or Chicago.

voodoochile
05-27-2005, 03:52 PM
Trade for a bat?

Can Dracula hit the curveball? I say sign him and see if you can get the Wolfman too... what the heck, half the team has died alreay this season, we might as well start signing the undead...

ondafarm
05-27-2005, 04:15 PM

I think Walker will probably go down. After Texas, the Sox won't face quite as much left handed hitters.

ondafarm
05-27-2005, 04:18 PM
Walker? How about Luis 17 ER in 22 IP Vizcaino? That guy needs some work, and not in the majors.

P.S. I hope Hurt comes back on the 30th...

I don't think Vizcaino has any options left.

White Sox Josh
05-27-2005, 05:27 PM
sweet. I'm gonna be going to the May 30th game. That would be awesome to be there for his home debut of 2005. By the way everyone shouldn't worry that he's hitting .180 in Charlotte. Nick Leva was on Silvy and Carmen and was saying that Frank was hitting the ball hard.

Chisox003
05-27-2005, 05:34 PM
I think that Frank's return means goodbye to Walker, and I bet we see Timo gone when Gload is ready for his return...

KW was talking about Gload yesterday during the broadcast and spoke pretty highly of him, so Im pretty sure he'll be back on the team ASAP, meaning someone else has to go....Timo

So our bench would consist of Willie, Everett, Gload, and Ozuna....Thats not too bad, especially because Ozuna's outstanding and surprising versatility, that guy can play anywhere

Big Hurt's on his way! Woo Hoo!

RKMeibalane
05-27-2005, 05:39 PM
sweet. I'm gonna be going to the May 30th game. That would be awesome to be there for his home debut of 2005. By the way everyone shouldn't worry that he's hitting .180 in Charlotte. Nick Leva was on Silvy and Carmen and was saying that Frank was hitting the ball hard.

Exactly. Believe it or not, it's not uncommon for MLB players to struggle at Triple-A during rehab assignments. IIRC, Nomar stunk it up back in 2001 at Pawtuckett. His first game back was against the White Sox at Fenway, and he homered that afternoon.

White Sox Josh
05-27-2005, 05:42 PM
Exactly. Believe it or not, it's not uncommon for MLB players to struggle at Triple-A during rehab assignments. IIRC, Nomar stunk it up back in 2001 at Pawtuckett. His first game back was against the White Sox at Fenway, and he homered that afternoon.Yeah I remember last year when Valentin struggled mightily in his rehab. He came back and actually was hitting in the .270s in July. But he sucked after that.

DumpJerry
05-27-2005, 05:44 PM
Blah, blah, blah. I going to start the chant:
We want Frank! We want Frank! We want Frank! We want Frank! We want Frank!
Get the picture now?

RKMeibalane
05-27-2005, 05:47 PM
Blah, blah, blah. I going to start the chant:
We want Frank! We want Frank! We want Frank! We want Frank! We want Frank!
Get the picture now?

This looks vaguely familiar to me. I wonder why that is. :cool:

DickAllen72
05-27-2005, 06:18 PM
IMHO the Sox should send McCarthy down after today's start and fly Frank back to Chicago after Saturday's game, and activate him to start Monday.

Don't bring El Duque off the DL until Wednesday morning. That gives them a few extra days to decide whether to send down Walker or Timo.

When Gload is ready, the one who survived the first cut can then be sent out, unless some kind of trade can be arranged in the meantime.

With Frank, Duque, and Gload replacing McCarthy, Timo and probably Walker, our 25 man roster should be in pretty good shape.