PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Sox settle for Split post game thread...

voodoochile
05-27-2005, 12:46 AM
Now that was one unlucky loss...:(:

Fake Chet Lemon
05-27-2005, 12:46 AM
What is it with Dye when we play in California? He was Double Duty Dye again, killing us in the field AND at the plate. He masterfully played that double into a triple costing us an important run (as it turned out) in the 1st inning. Then his strikeout in the 4th with the bases loaded was just as magical. That was such a crazy inning, any kind of run then would have been painful for them.

Huisj
05-27-2005, 12:47 AM
What is it with Dye when we play in California? He was Double Duty Dye again, killing us in the field AND at the plate. He masterfully played that double into a triple costing us an important run (as it turned out) in the 1st inning. Then his strikeout in the 4th with the bases loaded was just as magical. That was such a crazy inning, any kind of run then would have been painful for them.

it's too bad too, because a week ago it looked like he was finally about to break out of the season long slump. he was hitting well

itsnotrequired
05-27-2005, 12:49 AM
Unlucky indeed. Can't fault Contreras though. He pitched a gem. Take away that HR and it would have easily been his best of the year. I'm sticking the offense with this one. Runners on second and third with one out and no run scores? Hell, what about runners on second and third with NO outs? Same deal; nothing. Offense had the opportunities and let them slip through their fingertips.

On to Texas! Finally, games that will let me be in bed by 10:00.

LuvSox
05-27-2005, 12:50 AM
Some questions come to mind:

Does the offense need a day off?

Why can't Jose get any run support?

Is Harold Baines a good bench coach?

Are the hitters lax because they rely on the pitching too much?

Does Joey Cora send everybody home, no matter what?

balke
05-27-2005, 12:51 AM
I think its about time Carl gives up on his open stance for a while. He already admitted he doesn't feel comfortable using it, and I can't remember the last time he hit when he used it.

Fake Chet Lemon
05-27-2005, 12:52 AM
How stupid is the Angels organization? They refuse our request to play a day game on get away day…….so they can help out the Rangers tomorrow? I am now officially rooting for the Rangers long shot to win the West.

SoxSpeed22
05-27-2005, 12:53 AM
Unlucky indeed. Can't fault Contreras though. He pitched a gem. Take away that HR and it would have easily been his best of the year. I'm sticking the offense with this one. Runners on second and third with one out and no run scores? Hell, what about runners on second and third with NO outs? Same deal; nothing. Offense had the opportunities and let them slip through their fingertips.Ah what are you gonna do? We knew the big hit would be a problem without Frank. I would've taken a split when this series started. As most Baseball people say, you're gonna win 60, you're gonna lose 60. It's what you do with those other 42 games that says who you are.

tromcoe
05-27-2005, 12:54 AM
I will take this start every time from Jose.

So.ILSoxFan
05-27-2005, 12:55 AM
Wait, let me get this straight...

9th inning, we need 1 run, and Willie Harris bats for Joe Crede? Now, I like Willie and I understand that Crede has been struggling as of late, but given the choice, I like Crede's chance at sending one out of the park. Maybe I missed something cause I was forced to settle for MLB gameday, but...:?:

And Minnesota wins to rub it in :angry:

Fake Chet Lemon
05-27-2005, 12:55 AM
Ah what are you gonna do? We knew the big hit would be a problem without Frank. I would've taken a split when this series started. .

Agreed. 2 of 3 at the Urinal and a split here, decent road trip so far.

mealfred13
05-27-2005, 12:56 AM
Geeeezzz....

I don't think there's anyone to blame on this one. Sox should have plated at least 1 run if not 2 during the no out, men on 2nd and 3rd situation, but the lucky bounce off the backstop gave them an easy out at home and Konerko couldn't hit a freakin fly ball to save his life.

Then they get a crappy grounder to the pitcher that was just short enough to put the pitcher in a position to make a play on Podsednik at home. We should have at least 2 runs more than we ended up with if these guys could hit the damn ball out of the infield.

On the upside, Contreras looked awesome, save for one bad pitch which I think was A.J.'s fault. I guess it's ok, since we split the series, but this one should have been in the bag, even with the 2-run jack.

elrod
05-27-2005, 12:57 AM
This wasn't "bad luck". Cabrera's double went off the top of the wall. That could have been a home run and another run for the Angels. And Pods' hit was a bloop down the line where Figgins was playing him. How that fell in I'll never know. Oh, and we caught a break when Molina double-clutched on the pick-off throw. So, we didn't get unlucky at all. One bad pitch to a struggling McPherson and that was the game.

Fake Chet Lemon
05-27-2005, 12:58 AM

9th inning, we need 1 run, and Willie Harris bats for Joe Crede? Now, I like Willie and I understand that Crede has been struggling as of late, but given the choice, I like Crede's chance at sending one out of the park. Maybe I missed something cause I was forced to settle for MLB gameday, but...:?:

I think the Comet has officially burned up and crashed with that move. Crede's swing is so long right now, he would have had zero chance against him. Would have been nice to have Frank on the bench, hope he finds his power stroke down there soon.

gosox83
major bummer!!:(:

I tell you runs are like gold,

When you have one at 3rd base with less than 2 outs you need to bring it in!!

Maybe Guillen could have squeezed, just once! Try something to get that run in!!

On to Texas...Lets take our frustration out on that pitching staff.

I know they can hit, but don't forget good pitching stops good hitting.

At least the tribe took Minnesota into extra innings AGAIN! wear down that bullpen!

Shorty1983
Everett is looking sloppy at the plate, I can't wait for Franks return.

I agree with you all our offense really needs to pick-up. It seems like our team doesn't get the easy things right.

PTC- Contreras pitched a gem
Defensive play of the game- Ozuna one hand play
Doghouse- Everett & Dye :angry:

Welcome back home boys, bring on the Tejanos!

elrod
05-27-2005, 12:59 AM

Crede was utterly useless up there today. And Shields is downright impossible against righties. I take my chances with Willie and then Timo (and Pods) rather than Crede.

elrod
05-27-2005, 01:01 AM
This game feels as disappointing as the loss to the Cubs. We had a chance to do something special and we gave up a HR late in the game to blow it.

VA_GoGoSox
05-27-2005, 01:02 AM
Runners on second and third with less than two outs and we can't score.
Runners on second and third with less than two outs and we can't score again.

Contreras pitches a gem and doesn't get the win.

The friggin' angels score three runs on five hits.

This game makes me want to punch southpaw in the throat.:angry:

seanpmurphy
05-27-2005, 01:04 AM
I know FarWestChicago the Chief Geek thinks I love putting a dark cloud over everything, so here's a ray of sunshine. I noticed the other night the Sox record at Angel Stadium and it was NOT good to be nice about it, so a split is nothing to be upset about. Think about it.

P.S. Yeah talk about mistakes and lost opportunities. *slaps hand on forehead*

Shorty1983
05-27-2005, 01:05 AM
Looks like the same ol' Joe is back to his old form pop-ups, flyouts, light grounders, and bad swing strikeouts. I want Chavez.

It's late and I'm just anger, nite all. We'll get em' tomorrow.

seanpmurphy
05-27-2005, 01:06 AM
Looks like the same ol' Joe is back to his old form pop-ups, flyouts, light grounders, and bad swing strikeouts. I want Chavez.

Oh hell I want Troy Glaus!

EDIT: Weren't the Sox looking at him late last season? Or was this source blowing smoke up my rear end? Cause I know Glaus was on the market after recovering from that huge injury last season.

Mohoney
05-27-2005, 01:14 AM
Hats off to the starting pitchers in this series. All four guys really battled out there. Sure, Garland missed a few spots, and Contreras made two bad pitches, but this offense has to rise above and win one of those two games. When you get four quality starts in four games, you have to find a way to win three of them.

But we knocked 7 games off the schedule between the Cubs and Angels series, and the Twins gained NOTHING. They even had the benefit of playing 3 at home, while all 7 of our games were on the road.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, and maybe Cleveland has turned a corner and will start playing much better ball from this point onward, but I think that the Twins inability to take 3 of 4 from the struggling Indians and gain a game on us when we were playing against a playoff-caliber team (I wholeheartedly believe that the Angels will win the AL West) is pretty damn big.

We were the first team to 20 wins, we were the first team to 30 wins, and sometime during the next homestand, we could be the first team to get to 20 games over the .500 mark.

The starting pitching in this series was very reassuring, and if it continues in Texas, I think we can start seriously thinking about October.

balke
05-27-2005, 01:16 AM

6 2B 4 HR .214 avg. .271 OBP. 4 GIDP 8 errors - Eric Chavez

I'm sure we can do better than Eric Chavez at this point.

8 2B 4 HR .234 avg. 292 OBP. 2 GIDP 4 errors - Joe Crede

Kogs35
05-27-2005, 01:21 AM
blah thats all i got say. jose good job. build that confidence even though u made 1 bad pitch. lets get texas tomorow night

Mohoney
05-27-2005, 01:21 AM
6 2B 4 HR .214 avg. .271 OBP. 4 GIDP 8 errors - Eric Chavez

I'm sure we can do better than Eric Chavez at this point.

8 2B 4 HR .234 avg. 292 OBP. 2 GIDP 4 errors - Joe Crede

OK, I have to do this.

Which one is closer to his career average?

Do you think Mike Lowell is going to end the season under .200, too?

Crede has NO bat. That much is clear.

TheOldRoman
05-27-2005, 01:22 AM
Its hard to sleep after watching a game like this. The offense was downright horrible.

The Good
Contreras was lights out
Cotts actually retired a lefty
Pablo got another hit
Sox produced a run with 2 outs

The Bad
the pitch to McPherson - whether it was Jose's or AJ's fault, it was the wrong pitch
Dye's boot of the leadoff triple that lead to the 1st inning run
Not getting a runner in from third with less than 2 outs
Crede continues looking foolish at the plate, falling to his knees swining at balls in the dirt and popping them up. I dont think he has gone a game without a pop-out in a month

And possibly the worst thing to come out of tonight was Ozzie pinch hitting Willie and Timo in the 9th. When I saw that, I figured he had completely given up on the game. I dont care how tough Shields has been on righties, one swing ties the game there. Crede is so bad its embarrasing, but he has been clutch in the past, and I would take my chances on him closing his eyes and swinging for the fences over Willie. Also, at this point Timo is giving absolutely nothing to the team. There is no way he should step to the plate in that situation.

seanpmurphy
05-27-2005, 01:23 AM

But he hit that home run into the wind against Maddux at Wrigley!! INTO THE WIND!!

balke
05-27-2005, 01:29 AM
OK, I have to do this.

Which one is closer to his career average?

Do you think Mike Lowell is going to end the season under .200, too?

I know Joes been solid with the glove at the corner, and Chavez is in no way worth Mccarthy + Crede + Chavez's salary at this point.

Not everyone De-slumps. Do you think Dye is going to get back to his avg. #'s this season? If so, why isn't anyone chasing him from other teams?

Edit: But he hit 3 hr's at Wrigley, 3 HOMERUNS! INTO THE WIND!

JB98
05-27-2005, 01:33 AM
Tough loss.

Contreras pitched well, but the location of that heater to McPherson was a poor choice. I think you go middle-away and make him beat you to the opposite field. Middle-in is the one pitch he can get you on, and he got us.

Really, though I point to the missed scoring opportunites as the primary reason for this loss.

At the start of the road trip, I hoped that we could go 5-5 or 6-4. Right now, we are 4-3. When the trip started, we held a five-game lead in our division. Tonight, we still hold a five-game lead in our division. I'm pleased with that. You just hope to tread water when you go on a lengthy trip.

I'm disappointed in this loss, but I still feel good about where we're at.

A. Cavatica
05-27-2005, 01:35 AM
And possibly the worst thing to come out of tonight was Ozzie pinch hitting Willie and Timo in the 9th. When I saw that, I figured he had completely given up on the game. I dont care how tough Shields has been on righties, one swing ties the game there. Crede is so bad its embarrasing, but he has been clutch in the past, and I would take my chances on him closing his eyes and swinging for the fences over Willie. Also, at this point Timo is giving absolutely nothing to the team. There is no way he should step to the plate in that situation.

Dye can't get on base to save his life, so I would've had Willie pinch hit for him, and would've let Crede bat. No way would I have let Timo bat. But you know what? Nothing would've made any difference, the way Shields was pitching and the way we've been hitting.

balke
05-27-2005, 01:36 AM
IT was tough watching Jose give up that hr, then seeing 3 dominating pitches right after. When you rally in the 8th like that though, you HAVE to capitalize. That was very disturbing to see. A base knock, and we were tied with a better bullpen.

Mohoney
05-27-2005, 01:37 AM
I know Joes been solid with the glove at the corner, and Chavez is in no way worth Mccarthy + Crede + Chavez's salary at this point.

Not everyone De-slumps. Do you think Dye is going to get back to his avg. #'s this season? If so, why isn't anyone chasing him from other teams?

If Brandon McCarthy is insisted upon in the deal, then of course I'm going to sink or swim with Crede.

As for Dye, I think he's going to hit .270+ with 25+ HR, which is pretty close to his career #s.

But to even compare Crede's bat with Chavez's, or to not acknowledge that in the one area Crede does provide something tangible (defense) that Chavez is better, is just ludicrous.

I'm not on the "We need Eric Chavez, even if it includes McCarthy" bandwagon, but I certainly wouldn't mind an Aubrey Huff.

TheOldRoman
05-27-2005, 01:37 AM

Yes.
Because he hasn't shown that he can still play at that level and stay healthy for an entire season.

As for Chavez, there is no way the Sox throw McCarthy into the deal. If they got Chavez, which I am undecided on, it should be for Crede and a mid level prospect. With attendance and fortunes on the up, the Sox are in a position to take on salary. Crede and a mid level prospect should be fair if the Sox eat all of Chavez's salary.

I still think Joe Randa will be playing 3rd for the Sox come August.

Nellie_Fox
05-27-2005, 01:54 AM
I was listening to the Angels feed on XM. When Iguchi got called out at the plate on the wild pitch, of course the Angels' announcers made it sound like he was dead to rights.

Then I saw the replay on Baseball Tonight. They all groaned as Iguchi clearly got his foot onto the plate before the tag. Not only would that have been another run, but one less out in an inning where the Sox had a huge threat going.

Lip Man 1
05-27-2005, 02:05 AM
These four games were tough, physically draining, late night games. Exactly what you are going to see in October if these two teams hook up.

Damn the Angels are good. I'm just glad to get out of their with a split considering who the Twins were playing.

Maybe the Sox can finally get 20 games over in Texas.

Lip

Cubbiesuck13
05-27-2005, 02:14 AM
Why is it that we need a trade? The hitting is terrible and needs to pick up the pitching. The same pitching that has bailed the hitting out all season long. I don't understand how it falls on one guy. Or two or three. It's an entire team's fault. We have guys that are known to have slow starts and pad stats in games that we have the game out of reach so that we can think about how good they are in the offseason. I just hope the pitching continues the way it is. I don't see this team impressing anyone with hitting during the final months or in the playoffs. I'm hopefull that the pitching can carry the team.

It's one loss. The world is not coming to an end....yet.

owensmouth
05-27-2005, 02:21 AM
The game was rough. Good pitching on both sides. Two plays at the plate decided it.

One that was made, and one that wasn't. There will be three more at the Cell next week, the major difference being that the Angels bullpen will be a little deeper.

Against a team like the Angels, we cannot afford to give up a run to get a sure out, even if it is in the first inning.

Blown calls at the plate seem to be the norm for major league umpires.

SOXit2EM
05-27-2005, 03:28 AM
Tough loss.

Contreras pitched well, but the location of that heater to McPherson was a poor choice. I think you go middle-away and make him beat you to the opposite field. Middle-in is the one pitch he can get you on, and he got us. I definitely would have to agree with you about that pitch. McPherson is a struggling rookie unable to adjust to breaking stuff, and you throw him a fastball middle in, and he's a lefty?? :o: That's his wheelhouse!! 3 forkballs probably would've done the job. But I will not blame Contreras for tonite's loss, No this one definitely go's on the offense AGAIN. If ONLY our offense could find a way to get the runner from third in w/ less than 2 outs! It's amazing how many times we have left a runner stranded there, or had him thrown out at home that i don't even want to count! Now I realize we are not going to cash in every time, BUT we have let this happen FAR too often for a contending club, and if we want to make hay in the playoffs then we definitely need to cash in more in these situations :(:

BigEdWalsh
05-27-2005, 03:55 AM

Harold, would you like to comment on this??

:harold "ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz"

Cubbiesuck13
05-27-2005, 04:12 AM
Harold, would you like to comment on this??

:harold "ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz"

I saw him smile in person once. In Toronto. Amazing because he talked also.

shoota
05-27-2005, 04:19 AM
I was listening to the Angels feed on XM. When Iguchi got called out at the plate on the wild pitch, of course the Angels' announcers made it sound like he was dead to rights.

Then I saw the replay on Baseball Tonight. They all groaned as Iguchi clearly got his foot onto the plate before the tag. Not only would that have been another run, but one less out in an inning where the Sox had a huge threat going.

I also thought the second base umpire incorrectly called Podsednik out his attempted steal of second. Though, that blown call was of much less significance than the one you described.

How bout that Ozuna? I'd like this guy to start a few games at third base to see if he can outhit the man whose 2004 batting average was the third lowest of AL regulars.

mealfred13
05-27-2005, 05:03 AM

Does the offense need a day off?

Why can't Jose get any run support?

Are the hitters lax because they rely on the pitching too much?

-Seems to me the offense has been taking too many days off, so to speak.

-Jose has pure bad luck in his outings so far.

-I hadn't noticed Baines was even on the bench until today when they showed him on camera. Still not sure if that's good or bad.

-Sounds like as good a theory as any I can come up with.

-It almost seems that way, but I don't think so. A couple crappy grounders did us in today on plays at the plate; I don't know if you can blame Cora for sending the runner on ground contact.

Bobbo35
05-27-2005, 07:17 AM
This team needs a simple jumpstart in the lumber department and I think with the arrival of Big Frank that will change the whole makeup of the lineup.

Put him in front of Paulie and watch some magic happen.

Good split in California, now on to a team with the current longest winning streak, it's time for it to end!

Go Sox

Fungo
05-27-2005, 08:31 AM
I'd love to know what Ozzie had to say to Jose on his unwarranted trip to the mound before McPherson's at-bat. The guy was cruisin' along. Get back in the dugout.

:jerry
*snicker*

elrod
05-27-2005, 08:53 AM
We seem to be forgetting that the Angels have a pretty decent pitching staff. How many other teams are wringing their hands about their inability to hit anything off the White Sox starters? A close pitcher's duel is exactly the sort of game we want, and it's what we got. Unfortunately, Jose made one bad pitch and that's all it takes to blow a pitcher's duel.

1951Campbell
05-27-2005, 08:57 AM

I knew it!

[XM only guy here.]

SSN721
05-27-2005, 09:28 AM
Gotta be happy with the split, after the first game of the series I was thinking they would be lucky to get ou tof there with one win. So now we split, get to play the other division leader in the west. Its a tough stretch, a 10 game roadtrip against tough teams (still consider the Cubs tough during a crosstown series no matter how weak they are, and at their park) and we are 4-3. Not too shabby, even with just one win in Texas they go .500 for a roadtrip that included 4 games ont he left coast and 7 games against the best teams in the AL west. The last couple years we would be ecstatic with that. Obviously still hoping for a sweep of Texas but the series win will be nice enough.

LuvSox
05-27-2005, 09:38 AM
A couple crappy grounders did us in today on plays at the plate; I don't know if you can blame Cora for sending the runner on ground contact.

AJ's dribble in front of the mound wasn't going to score a run. Why not make the pitcher try an off-balance throw on a hustling AJ?

Frater Perdurabo
05-27-2005, 09:41 AM
Gotta be happy with the split, after the first game of the series I was thinking they would be lucky to get ou tof there with one win.

Any time you play .500 ball against a first place team on the road, you have to be satisfied. As Lip said, all the games were close in a playoff-like atmosphere.

However, if the Sox want to prove they are superior to the Angels, they have to beat them handily when the Angels come to Chicago.

I think all of us realize there's no way the Sox would play .750 ball throughout the season. Yes, they are falling back to earth playing better teams, but they definitely are not crashing and burning.

As long as the Sox continue to take care of business at home and against the weaker teams in the league, and play .500 on the road against the other division leaders, everything will take care of itself until the final stretch.

The Sox play 17 home games in September. All of the games are within the division except for three at the Cell against these pesky Angels. They also play more September games against Kansas City than the Twins. September statistically it's Frank Thomas' best month (and he's much better at home than away).

September is when the Sox will win or lose the division. Until then, let's enjoy the ride!

LVSoxFan
05-27-2005, 10:31 AM
This has been a pattern for most of the season: we're leaning too hard on our pitchers. They certainly have held up their end of the bargain--especially last night and for the past couple of weeks--but we don't give them any support.

The other pattern I notice is our habit of stranding tons of people on base. Why oh why did I know Dye was going to whiff with the bases loaded?

It's time to start tweaking the offense and doing whatever you have to do to make it happen, because to waste pitching performances like this is positively Cubs-like. My baseball nut co-worker said before the season he thought the Sox' fortunes would come down to this: as Crede goes, so goes the team.

If Crede doesn't pick it up in the next month I have no problem with them replacing him--he's had enough chances. That said, it's hard to pick a single person when Dye, Konerko and Everett are just sucking at the plate.

Yeah, I guess a split ain't bad considering but we should have taken that series, and now we have to go up against Texas, which will be no picnic. Twins won too. I guess I expect more this year.

Fake Chet Lemon
05-27-2005, 10:34 AM
Why is it that we need a trade? The hitting is terrible and needs to pick up the pitching. The same pitching that has bailed the hitting out all season long. I don't understand how it falls on one guy. Or two or three. It's an entire team's fault. We have guys that are known to have slow starts and pad stats in games that we have the game out of reach so that we can think about how good they are in the offseason. I just hope the pitching continues the way it is. I don't see this team impressing anyone with hitting during the final months or in the playoffs. I'm hopefull that the pitching can carry the team.

It's one loss. The world is not coming to an end....yet.

Who are the stat padders?

PaleHoseGeorge
05-27-2005, 10:42 AM
Willie batting for Crede is definitely Ozzie's shot across the bow to his thirdbasemen. This was alluded to by Bryan Dolgin last night, too.

I'm giving Willie a tip of the cap here. He is a mediocre talent at everything he "does well" but there is no mistaking how much Crede is just sucking on a regular basis. He is losing at-bats to Willie Harris?
:o:

For now Harris might stick for no other reason than Ozzie's disgust for Crede. However a future trade of utility fielders is probably the result Ozzie and KW have in mind for the future. This is not working.

voodoochile
05-27-2005, 11:15 AM
This wasn't "bad luck". Cabrera's double went off the top of the wall. That could have been a home run and another run for the Angels. And Pods' hit was a bloop down the line where Figgins was playing him. How that fell in I'll never know. Oh, and we caught a break when Molina double-clutched on the pick-off throw. So, we didn't get unlucky at all. One bad pitch to a struggling McPherson and that was the game.

Well, Pods was actually safe on the steal attempt but the Sox didn't get the call and the WP where Iguchi was out bounced off the wall and came right back to the catcher so quickly that he could make the play (otherwise Iguchi scores easily and probably Rowand does to because they still would have had 3 outs to play with instead of 2).

That last one was a major point in the game and it was just raw bad luck.

balke
05-27-2005, 12:00 PM
Crede really is looking like he's about to lose his job to a bat. I don't think it would be necessary if Uribe, Rowand, and Dye were all playing up to what they could and should.

I feel dumber by the day by thinking Rowand would be able to back-up his all-star like season last year. He can't win critical at-bats, or put the ball in the air with a runner on 3rd it seems. This is also far less doubles and HR's than I thought he'd have at this point.

Juan gets into funks, but this is pretty ridiculous.

Sure, we got the split, and maybe had a shot at to win all the games with a little offense. But the Angels did this without K-rod or Vlad.

Hendu
05-27-2005, 12:08 PM
Carl's timing looks way off when he's batting left-handed. He's even admitted that he feels uncomfortable from the left side. His at-bat in the 8th inning was one of the worst I've ever seen. He gets the 3-1 count; he knows the fastball is coming, everyone in the stadium knows it's coming. And it comes, straight down the middle. Carl swings and misses (or did he foul it off...can't remember; either way, he missed his pitch). Now with 2 strikes, of course the breaking ball in the dirt is coming because everyone in the league knows Carl will swing at that pitch with 2 strikes and miss it by a mile. Inning over.

The guy is hitting .190 batting left-handed and over .300 right-handed so I'm a little confused as to why he doesn't go right-handed for big at-bats, even it's against a right-hander. Whatever happens can't be much worse than what he does from the left side.

ShoelessJoeS
05-27-2005, 12:14 PM
quite an unfortunate loss, poor contreras for pitching a gem (9 k's) and not getting the victory. carl everett looks like hes never faced big league pitching these days and will swing at everything and what happened to the timely hitting weve been counting on for the past couple months? talk about wasted opportunities, i think we coulda easily swept em. too bad our bats didnt show up with the other equipment

mjharrison72
05-27-2005, 12:18 PM
These four games were tough, physically draining, late night games. Exactly what you are going to see in October if these two teams hook up.

Damn the Angels are good. I'm just glad to get out of their with a split considering who the Twins were playing.

Maybe the Sox can finally get 20 games over in Texas.

Lip
I agree this might be a preview of October, with one small wrinkle that scares the crap out of me: The Angels will have Guererro back.
Yes, I know we'll hopefully have Frank at that point, and I don't want to sound like a :dtroll: , but we split a series against an offensively weakened Angels team.

TheOldRoman
05-27-2005, 12:41 PM
I feel dumber by the day by thinking Rowand would be able to back-up his all-star like season last year. He can't win critical at-bats, or put the ball in the air with a runner on 3rd it seems. This is also far less doubles and HR's than I thought he'd have at this point.
:chickenlittle
Rowand will be fine. What was his average a month ago? What is it now? What was his average through May last year? He will be hitting .300 by the end of June.

balke
05-27-2005, 01:11 PM
Rowand will be fine. What was his average a month ago? What is it now? What was his average through May last year? He will be hitting .300 by the end of June.

He's batting out of the 3 spot with Iguchi and Pods in front of him, and has 15 RBI. That's terrible. He has plenty of time to turn it around, I was expecting too much out of him probably. I thought he'd be an elite CFer offensively. I thought maybe this season would be more of a breakout year than last. That's not chicken little, its just emphasizing how disappointing he's been so far.

voodoochile
05-27-2005, 03:57 PM
He's batting out of the 3 spot with Iguchi and Pods in front of him, and has 15 RBI. That's terrible. He has plenty of time to turn it around, I was expecting too much out of him probably. I thought he'd be an elite CFer offensively. I thought maybe this season would be more of a breakout year than last. That's not chicken little, its just emphasizing how disappointing he's been so far.

Considering Rowand's numbers prior to last season, it isn't that surprising that he has not improved further on last season's numbers, IMO. If I had to pick a player to regress to the norm this season at the beginning of the year, Rowand would have been that player. Hope he proves me wrong, but I won't be surprised if he has significantly worse numbers at the end of this season than he did at the end of last season.

Maybe he will start to hit better when he gets dropped back down the lineup.

mealfred13
05-27-2005, 07:07 PM
AJ's dribble in front of the mound wasn't going to score a run. Why not make the pitcher try an off-balance throw on a hustling AJ?

If I recall correctly, it WAS Pods trying to score from third. Maybe he shouldn't have been sent, but he's the fastest guy on the team, and if he was going on contact, there's not much he could at that point. You don't expect the infield to attempt the throw to the plate very often, and you certainly don't expect AJ to ground out in front of the mound. If the ball got to short or 2nd, Pods would have had a far better chance to score.

All that's irrelevant though, because we needed to hit more balls out of the infield to score some runs.

LuvSox
05-27-2005, 07:10 PM
If I recall correctly, it WAS Pods trying to score from third. Maybe he shouldn't have been sent, but he's the fastest guy on the team, and if he was going on contact, there's not much he could at that point. You don't expect the infield to attempt the throw to the plate very often, and you certainly don't expect AJ to ground out in front of the mound. If the ball got to short or 2nd, Pods would have had a far better chance to score.

All that's irrelevant though, because we needed to hit more balls out of the infield to score some runs.

It was Rowand last night.